[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about to start part 3 of Crime and Punishment and I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

I'm about to start part 3 of Crime and Punishment and I can't help but worry that the P&V translation has scratched some of the beauty of Dostoevsky with some of their awkward phrasing after reading Oliver Ready's handle on some of the more gripping passages. It just seems like the superior translation, localised with just the right amount of colloquialism and nice shading of imagery as shown below.

>In Part I, Chapter 5, Raskolnikov dreams of a scene from childhood — a cart-driver has overloaded his cart with passengers and is beating his nag, urging her to move when she clearly can’t manage:

“Daddy! Daddy!” he shouts to his father. “What are they doing, Daddy? Daddy, they’re beating the poor little horse!”

“Come on, boy!” says the father. “Just drunken idiots fooling around: off we go, boy, don’t look!” — and tries to lead him away, but he breaks free of his grasp and, quite beside himself, runs to the horse. But the poor little horse is in a bad way. She’s struggling for breath, stops, gives another tug and almost falls.

“Flog ‘er till she drops!” shouts Mikolka. “She’s asking for it. I’ll flog ‘er dead!”

“Where’s your fear of God, you mad beast?” yells an old man in the crowd.

Should I stick with P&V for consistency in the final stretch or abandon ship and go with Ready's translation?
>>
All translations butcher it, anon.
>>
>>7598605
Hello Reddit!
>>
Go with the McDuff translation, anon.
>>
File: 1452693809994.jpg (299KB, 1342x571px) Image search: [Google]
1452693809994.jpg
299KB, 1342x571px
>>7598604
>>
>>7598604
So what's the P+V version? I thought their Master and Margarita seemed really bad, but for that reason haven't looked into anything else by them.
>>
>>7598604
Go with the latter OP you won't miss anything really. I did that with Garnett translation.
>>
>>7598626

>A great deal goes right in Ready’s treatment of this nightmare, which continues for another two pages. The father’s pained and abashed dismissal, “Just drunken idiots fooling around,” which he delivers in choked-off fragments in Russian (“пьяныe, шaлят, дypaки”), sounds far fresher and produces a far more poignant effect than previous efforts: “They are drunken and foolish, they are in fun” (Constance Garnett, 1914); “They’re drunk, playing mischief, the fools” (David McDuff, 1991); “They’re drunk, they’re playing pranks, the fools” (Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky, 1992). “They are in fun,” is, of course hopelessly dated, while “playing mischief” and “pranks,” though close translations of the verb “шaлить,” are not really appropriate to the situation or to the father’s register or mental state.

This I'm okay with. But PV's treatment on the last bit is pretty appalling:

'Have you no fear of god, or what, you hairy devil!'.

Back on Ready's use of mad beast:
>The “mad beast,” too, is an inspired choice. The Russian original has the old man calling Mikolka a “лeший (leshii),” that is, a “wood demon” — a creature from the Russian pagan past, which worked its way into the syncretic faith of the village but, by the 19th century, was, for the most part, an element of idiomatic speech. For instance, to send someone to the wood demon is to send them to hell. Under certain circumstances, where the wood demon’s attributes are central to the exposition of a scene, a translator might want to preserve his presence — but here, where he is very much part of an idiom, suggesting wildness and inhumanity, Ready’s rendition works perfectly, allowing us to speed through the passage nervously, just as we ought to.
>>
>>7598643
Yeah I'm just worried that it would feel like reading an absolutely different voice, so much that it'd piss me off to the point of starting back on page 1 to capture the original charm. Which is shithouse.
>>
>>7598655
I like the footnotes provided in Ready's version. It just sets you in the time period.
>>
>>7598604

That translation by Ready is harrowing and immersive. I just checked the P&V, and their version has an opposite effect on me. For example they have the father saying the men beating the horse are 'playing pranks', which seems to me like a terrible choice of words. The Russian behind this is шaлят, somewhat similar to engaging in 'mischief' in English. So the father isn't quite condemning the men for being 'evil' or what have you, but still, to refer to their action as 'pranks' that they're 'playing' is just way off.
>>
>>7598604

Switch to Ready's translation. Start over or at least re-skim through what you've read from the start in order to get his voice and cleanse your palate.
>>
>>7599232
Have you got a copy of Ready's translation? What did you think of it?
>>
>>7598645
Can you type out the same scene you quoted from Ready in the P+V version?
>>
>>7598604
Man, I'd love to get the Ready version but the cover art Penguin is currently using is godawful
>>
>>7598604
Learn Russian
>>
>>7601691
Лaднo.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.