[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think about The Witcher saga by Andrzej Sapkowski?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (48KB, 620x412px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 620x412px
What does /lit/ think about The Witcher saga by Andrzej Sapkowski?
>>
>>7598317
trash
>>
>>7598317
>Posting genre /lit/ outside the genre /lit/ general
I can feel your reddit t-shirt from here.
>>
The Last Wish is good, but they quickly go downhill from there.

The games actually have far better writing than most of the books, at least in English.
>>
terrible english translations
>>
>>7598331
This sums it up
>>
>>7598317
Eh pretty meh. Like the world because of the games, did not enjoy the books very much. Doesn't help that the author is an insufferable nazi irl.
>>
As bad as Harry Potter and ASOIAF shit.
>>
>>7598317

The prose is standard fantasy fare (not great) but the incorperation of polish, slavic myth and folklore is very neat. Actually reminds me more of Tolkien in a good way (the pulling from folklore, not the cliche characters/plots, Witcher is fine on that front) than any of his contempories.
>>
typical polish janusz
>>
>>7598515
>I'll talk about shit I never read to seem cool
Seems about right
>>
>>7598317
>dem covers
your average PiS voter, ladies and gentlemen
>>
>>7598317
Not that it's all too relevant, but the I'm playing Witcher 3, and it's absolutely fucking horrible.
>>
>>7598763
Kill yourself.
>>
>>7598767
Don't project you shitty tastes onto me, man.
>>
>>7598768
You're the one with shit taste.
>>
>>7598772
Explain to me what makes the game so good, in your own words, please.

As for why I think it's shit, the dialogue is awful, the plot is static as fuck not to mention cliche, the main character has an American accent while everyone else's is British or Irish (not like I'm a teaboo, but that's just inconsistent), and the mythology seems developed by a smart 13-year-old, despite drawing from existing mythologies.

I'll listen to you and not be condescending if you're willing to rebutt me.
>>
>>7598776
Oh, and the gameplay in general is goddamn awkward.
>>
>>7598776
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Why don't you give me an example of a video game that does a better job of what Witcher 3 is doing.

And don't even of saying Elder Scrolls, they're all fucking shit.
>>
>>7598786
You didn't even make a point, you just disagreed with me.
>>
>>7598790
The dialogue and plot are nowhere near bad, and they're terrific compared to other games we've got now.

There's also nothing wrong with the mythology, I bet you can't come up with anything better.
>>
>>7598794
As a game it sucks, story is just a hero with amnesia fighting pokemon set in the medieval world, not very original, bro
>>
>>7598799
So give me a game that does a better job of what Witcher 3 is doing instead of avoiding the question.
>>
File: 1400203417480.jpg (54KB, 500x707px) Image search: [Google]
1400203417480.jpg
54KB, 500x707px
>>7598794
>There's also nothing wrong with the mythology, >I bet you can't come up with anything better.
Whether I could or couldn't, you sound like a fucking child right now.
>>
Are you joking you faggots? The Witcher saga is one of the best fantasy series ever written. It must've been poorly translated into English (i read it in czech).
>>
>>7598816
Dude its /lit/, even if it's the best genre fiction can offer they will still hate it.
>>
Story collections are good, the "saga" is subpar.
>>
>>7598802

Pokemon Red.
>>
>>7598317
Isnividually, the stories are pretty good; I'm very fond of The Last Wish.

Collectively, they're pretty bad, mostly because Andrzej can't write a cohesive series. I believe that reading it in short spams is the best way to approach The Witcher.
>>
>>7600008
*Individually
>>
>>7598317
Short stories are good, novel series is meh
>>
File: fatherdaughter.jpg (186KB, 1023x755px) Image search: [Google]
fatherdaughter.jpg
186KB, 1023x755px
Last Wish and Sword of Destiny are great examples of fantasy.

There are some newer translations [American vs British] that have slightly better prose. Unfortunately I cannot read Polish. Most of those who can read it in Polish or Spanish tell me it has much better prose than English.

I feel like there were some nice highlights and some decent character development in the serial books, but they just didn't measure up to the first two.

I feel he kind of got lost in the middle.
>>
>>7598786
>morrowind
>shit

McEndyourlife familia
>>
I played the first two games and now I'm reading The Last Wish. It's fun.

I heard he ripped a bunch of shit off of Michael Moorcock though. Not sure if that's legit.
>>
File: alberto barbosa.jpg (21KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
alberto barbosa.jpg
21KB, 480x360px
>>7601341
>Moorcock
>>
>>7601341
Geralt and Elric have some minor similiarities, and theres the multiverse stuff, but Moorcock blows it way out of proportion. Its arguable that Sapkowski might not have even heard of Moorcock while living under the Iron Curtain.
>>
>>7598757
Poland seems to have enough sense to elect right wing leaders.
>>
>>7601350
To be fair the Iron Curtain, especially near the end, was spotty as hell. Lots of magazines and shit got through, its just as arguable that Sapkowski was "inspired" by Moorcock.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.