[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Science Fiction and Fantasy General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 53

File: 1432444795222.jpg (80KB, 554x560px) Image search: [Google]
1432444795222.jpg
80KB, 554x560px
Slaying monsters edition

Recommendations:
>Fantasy
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/a/a8/1307836551252.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110612005642

>Sci-Fi
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/a/a6/Scifilit.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100710233344
http://imgur.com/r55ODlL
http://imgur.com/A96mTQX

>What are you reading?
>What's your favorite story with a "monster slaying" plot?
>What's your favorite Dragon in Fantasy?
>>
>>7597351
Read Shannara by Terry Brooks, but just stop after the Heritage tetrology. It gets SO bad.
>>
>>7597359
Also the first book is page for page Lord of the Rings, so if it annoys you enough just skip it.
>>
>>7597351
>>What's your favorite Dragon in Fantasy?
bumping this, personally
only ever really read the Hobbit in regards to dragons
>>
I remember being fond of Tiamat in Jeremy Thatcher Dragon Hatcher, but I seem to recall some sort of chaotic neutral whispering-secrets-to-the-heroes dragon in something I read more recently.
>>
>>7597351
I like the dragons in Bakker's stuff.

Also the dragon in Dragon In Chains is bad ass.
>>
>>7597351
>What are you reading?
Re-reading the Conan stories by Howard, I'm looking for some more, solid low-fantasy stories. I'm thinking of picking up Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser.
Beyond the Black River, but also the Hobbit
Smaug has always been the classic archetypal dragon in my mind. The Red and White Welsh Dragons, too.

Are there any modern authors who write sword-and-sorcery, or am I stuck on the Howard-Leibner-Wagner treadmill?
>>
>>7597653
There are short story anthologies now and then. I think there was an African-themed one recently.
>>
File: dark elf trilogy.jpg (56KB, 301x475px) Image search: [Google]
dark elf trilogy.jpg
56KB, 301x475px
Is D&D worth reading outside of Salvatore and Weiss/Hickman?
>>
>>7597717
Salvatore's writing for some reason makes me cringe. No offense, of course. Faggot.
>>
IF ANYONE DARES BRING UP PATRICK ROTHFUSS I WILL FIND AND KILL THEM
>>
>>7597717
if ur 12 yeah if u have hair on ut balls no
>>
if u like sci-fi u shud get this i was listening to the audiobook the other night shit was comfy as fuck pham
>>
File: le pringles man.jpg (59KB, 240x180px) Image search: [Google]
le pringles man.jpg
59KB, 240x180px
The Gene Wolfe checklist:

Blood-sucking shape-shifting reptilian people
Werewolves (or wolves in general)
Main character travels on a boat
A woman with the word "Rose" in her name
A tall red haired woman with big tits
Jesus makes a special guest appearance
Gene Wolfe himself makes a special guest appearance
The main character develops a limp
Two characters are secretly brother and sister
On a related note: Incest
Sea Nymphs
Character eating another character, and the becoming like that character

Please let me know if I've forgotten anything
>>
>>7597957
Is he often heavy on the latinates or is that a BotNS-only thing?
>>
>>7597524
>>7597610
>>7597634
Ellegon from Guardians of the Flame was pretty dank

>>7597717
The ONLY thing I've EVER read by Salvatore that was worth the paper it was printed on is The Crimson Shadow
>>
>>7597957
>Werewolves
I heard about a Gene Wolf book focusing on medieval europe and a werewolfe. am I wrong or stupid?
if not then which of his works include werewolves?
>>
>>7597957
>Character injected with chameleon genes because for some fucking reason they can blend in with the background with uncanny ability
>>
>Historical fantasy
>Aristocratic Male characters being waited on by a maid

Every fucking time.
>>
>>7598100
New Sun mostly, there is a usage of archaic words as neologisms, but it's usually never as heavy.
>>
>>7597901
You just did fagget.

>>7597634
I liked the gay, rape and incest in Bakker's dragon stuff.
>>
>>7597957
Holy shit i knew he invented (partially) the Pringles machine, but seeing this pic.... did they use Wolfe's moustache on the logo?
>>
>>7598306
How is Latro in the Mist by the way?
>>
>>7597351
Any good black fantasy writers? I want diversity
>>
>>7598334
>good author
>not a white male or Alexander Dumas
pick one
>>
>>7598315
I have no idea. But people are usually very positive about it
>>
>>7598334
No
>>
>>7598334
Chinua Achebe?
>>
You faggots literally never talk about Philip K. Dick. What the fuck is wrong with you faggots? Why are you all such goddamn sperglords?
>>
>>7598358
dystopia, drugs, religion, repeat a couple of hundred times, done.
>>
File: a.jpg (126KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
126KB, 800x600px
>What are you reading?
Finishing 犬と魔法のファンタジー by Tanaka Romeo.
You can see a wordplay in the title. It's pronounced "Ken to Mahou no Fantasy", which you'd normally write as 剣と魔法のファンタジー, means rather bland "Fantasy of Swords and Magic". But there the Japanese character 犬 is used for "ken", meaning "dog". Fantasy of Dogs and Magic.

It takes place in a future of a standards fantasy word, elves, dwarves etc. Magic is used to recreate technical wonders of our the modern age. This is shamelessly obvious, so the whole work is essentially a social critique on fantasy background.

Specifically, the main topic of the book is so-called 就職活動 (shuushoku katsudou), job-hunting, but with its specifics in Japan. Most importantly the unreasonable expectations and rules employers set for students looking for a job. Tanaka also comments on things like social networks or idol culture.

Strictly speaking the books can be called a light novel, since it was published by a LN imprint called Gagaga Bunko, but it's vastly different from the standard LN template. The protagonist is a super normal guy, no super powers or anything, there are no girls swooning over him etc.

Of course it's written by Tanako Romeo, so the writing is sublime. Would recommend if you can read Japanese.
>>
>>7598358
because we obviously care more about fantasy than sci-fi
>>
hey /sffg/ I think I fucked up.

I tried writing a short story about a stage magician competing with an actual magician to win his soul, but I realized I'm not clever enough to come up with sufficiently impressive tricks that I can explain plausibly. The best I can come up with is a character making it look like they're standing in a fire by standing in the center of a tight ring of flames wearing a a suit of wet asbestos.The whole thing is on the verge of collapsing into a pile of shitty writing that would fit better in an anime than in literature.

What do I do?
>>
>>7598358
>spergs out
>calls others sperglords
Is this b8? I honestly can't tell any more.
>>
>>7598383
You stick to writing what you know.
>>
>>7598383
You could always go into scifi realms and/or read up on some nonfiction/fiction to get your creative juices going.
>>
>>7598383
Do what that faggot running the BBC shows does, give it ridiculous theatrically but don't fully explain it.
>>
>>7598394
but I need to branch out to gain skills

>>7598396
there are already fantasy elements, so adding sci-fi to a story set in 1920's is a recipe for disaster. The inspiration thing might help though.

>>7598397
Actually, that might work perfectly if I do it right. I mean, when you think about it, magicians shouldn't reveal all their tricks anyway. If I can show bits and pieces of the mechanics people's brains will sort of fill in the rest of the gears
>>
>>7598366
LNs are garbage.
>>
>>7598334
The Alchemist
>>
>>7598425
Most are. So is most of sci-fi and fantasy.

Also good thing this books is nothing like your typical LN, as I pointed out.
>>
>>7598186
There's literal werewolves in The Sorcerer’s House, An Evil Guest, and the Latro books.
Elsewhere they're more symbolically werewolves, like Gylf who is a wolf very much like a man and the the protagonist of "The Hero as a Werwolf" (great short story by the way) who is a man very much like a wolf.
>>
>>7598358
I just finished Man in His High Castle. I thought it ended a bit abruptly.
>>
>>7597351
>What are you reading?
Just finished I Shall Wear Midnight. Wish the Cunning Man had appeared earlier in Pratchett's stories, he seemed like he'd have made a good villain in a longer story.
>"monster slaying" plot?
Does Children of Hurin count?
>favorite Dragon is Fantasy?
Glaurung.
>>
>>7598429
Literally the only LN I found good was Spice and Wolf, and that wasn't even so much about fantasy.
>>
>>7597957
People getting really mad at animals for no reason.
>>
>>7598358
Finished Galactic Pot Healer last week, it was mediocre or maybe I just read too much of his works so I became numb to his style.
>>
>>7598366
I read it, and like all of Romeo's works, it was garbage.
>>
>>7597351
Whoever drew that is fucking terrible at composition. They probably chose to put the knight in the center like that to indicate his strength, and the dragon in the left third, mirroring the swinging of the sword along the upper horizontal third division line, to suggest a line of action. But really it just looks overly stable - nothing fucking happens in that pic because the stupid fuck didn't incorporate enough dynamism between the two figures.

Poor show, random fantasy illustrator. You fucking suck at your job.
>>
>>7598513
The knight's neck also looks broken.
>>
>>7598513
Perspective is also fucked so the dragon looks both hilariously tiny in comparison to the knight.
>>
>>7598518
Yes.

This stupid fuck can't even basic anatomy.

Also whhhhhyyyyyyy did he choose so many diagonal lines leading down to and to the left. All it does it lead the eye to that bottom right corner, and then it just fucking stays there until it wanders back to the main conflict on the horizontal line with the dragon head + knight's head + sword (and btw what kind of stupid fuck uses a horizontal line, especially one where most of the energy is on the left of frame, for a fucking action scene - it's literally composition 101 that horizontal = stable). This stupid fuck literally wants our eyes to move AWAY from the part of the picture where the interesting thing is happening.

This is really annoying. I want this illustrator to be castrated.
>>
Bought a 1$ pulp novel called Men, Marchines and Machines. It was a nice little couple of scifi stories about a crew and their adventures
>>
>>7598522
I think what happened is that he composition'd himself into a corner. He chose the position of the knight and the dragon, fixed because he liked that composition for some reason, and then he realized that in order to make it fit in the frame well, he'd either have to make a dragon that's threateningly close but too small to look threatening, to crop the dragon inside the frame (for some reason fantasy art from this period - and really a lot of illustration in fantasy, videogames, etc - has this very prephotography/premodernism preference for figures being completely contained in the frame - i dont know why), or just make a dragon that's threateningly large but too far to be threatening.

It looks like he's drawing back his sword ..... and then he's gonna have to wait like 5 seconds for the fucking thing to fly over to him. lol
>>
>>7598524
Do you mean Men, Martians and Machines?
>>
>>7598500
Can you read Japanese? If not, then you don't have many series available to you.
>>
So, I started reading the Way of Kings since I've seen in mentioned in these threads a fair bit, I'm about halfway though. I honestly can't make up my mind about it. On one hand, I like Kaladin and Sil (and Rock) a lot. Given how spread thin everything seems they get a fair amount of development in relatively few pages, but on the other hand, the book jumps around so much between so many characters that it's jarring. Halfway through and new viewpoint characters are STILL being introduced, and previous ones haven't gotten more than a chapter to themselves. It feels like the overall plot hasn't really progressed at all. The only plot that seems to be going anywhere is Kaladin's development.

Does this trilogy pick up at all? I don't hate it so far, but I also don't feel compelled to continue.
>>
File: GardensoftheMoonrevisedlimited.jpg (147KB, 864x1270px) Image search: [Google]
GardensoftheMoonrevisedlimited.jpg
147KB, 864x1270px
I've heard Malazan is hard to get into. Is it?
>>
>>7598627
Sort of. If you don't like P&P RPG's, or at least oldschool Baldurs Gate style CRPG's, you won't like the first book. The second book was written a decade later though, and is pretty different in most ways. The biggest issue is that the quality between different plotlines varies a whole lot. Some just aren't interesting at all to read, while others are brilliant.

Try the first book, if you don't like it, read a summary and try the second. If you don't like that, it's probably not the series for you, books 2-4 are the best.
>>
>>7598630
>If you don't like P&P RPG's, or at least oldschool Baldurs Gate style CRPG's
That's not a problem.
>Try the first book
I guess I will. Thanking you kindly.
>>
>>7598608
>trilogy
Boy do I have news for you. It's planned to be a 10 part series.

Way of Kings is worth finishing because it has a great finale. Just understand that the book only has three main characters; Kaladin, Shallan and Dalinar. Everyone that has a POV in the interludes is usually just there to flesh out parts of the world or give insight into smaller plot details. Most of these won't appear again, at least they haven't reappeared in the two current books.
>>
>>7598338

Delany was fucking great. Fuck off.
>>
>>7598648
>It's planned to be a 10 part series.

I guess we can expect at least 15 books then, right? Well, I'll give it another shot. Thanks.
>>
What the hell happened to Scott Lynch?
Lies Locke Lamora was great, Red Seas Under Red Skies was great, but Republic of Thieves was shit.
>>
>>7598383
Read or watch some books or documentaries or illusionism. You'll get inspired.

Maybe set it in a time when gunpowder wasn't heard of in Europe and use Chinese fireworks as fireballs?
>>
>>7598334
Samuel R Delany
NK Jemisin
May be more, but they don't actually start their introduction with "I'm an African-American ".
>>
>>7598657
Sanderson tends to plan out his series quite extensively, so it may actually be 10 for once.

>>7598664
Depression happened.
>>
>>7598668
>Depression happened
Is this a permanent case of the blues?
>>
>>7598406
>but I need to branch out to gain skills

Not that guy, but if you want to write about something, go and so research.
Watch that show where the magician exposes how the great tricks are done.
>>
>>7597717
Salvatore is shit and you should feel bad for liking him.
>>
>>7598664
>Red Seas Under Red Skies was great
Really? I thought the bits at the start and end in the city were cool but the whole middle bit with pirates was shit.

As for what happened, I think he only had ideas enough for one and a bit books but wanted to make a 7-part series. Should have made it a trilogy at most or even better, just a standalone.
>>
>>7598770
>a 7-part series
And a second 7-part series after that he said.
>>
>>7598833
What the fuck.

No wonder he's depressed.
>>
>>7598538
Yeah, I don't know how I fucked that up. It was really late
>>
>>7598338
>not knowing who Colleen McCullough is
Kill yourself my man
>>
>>7598315
I actually prefer it to BOTNS. More likeable characters, who stick by for the whole journey.
>>
>TFW "fine literature" is praised for its prose while William Gibson is treated like garbage
>>
Has anyone read 'The Worm Ouroboros'?
Any good?
>>
>>7598500
What about Haruhi ? I was thinking of reading it because I like the anime and S3 isn't going to happen now. Most of the opinion I've read are positive but /a/ have shit taste when it come to book.
>>
>>7599856
I liked it. The prose style isn't great but it's not Google Translate bad, and the ambiguity of whether or not Kyon's asides are in his head or spoken is preserved.
>>
>>7599757
this question has been asked 3 threads in a row
the answer is yes, just read it. it isn't even long
>>
File: taylor.png (235KB, 698x1145px) Image search: [Google]
taylor.png
235KB, 698x1145px
What did you guys think of the Worm web serial?
>>
Has anyone read Lud-in-the-midst
one of my favorites for some reason
>>
>>7597351

What does /lit/ think about hard science fiction?
>>
>>7599950
I can understand that it keeps getting asked if it always get answers like this. At least elaborate a little, I don't care how long it is. This is a discussion board, discuss.
>>
File: tmp_15615-url1891322598.jpg (19KB, 208x320px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_15615-url1891322598.jpg
19KB, 208x320px
I'm not even ashamed
>>
File: WoR_endpaper-2.jpg (549KB, 2048x1547px) Image search: [Google]
WoR_endpaper-2.jpg
549KB, 2048x1547px
>>7598608
Yeah tWoK has known pacing issues due to being the first book of the big series and all that. Especially in that middle section with Bridge Four. It drags and drags and DRAAAAGS.

Like the other anon said, Stormlight Archive is a ten-book series, not a trilogy. Although each individual book is written like a trilogy + novella or something similar.

>>7598648
Some of them will be important, like Rysn is supposed to be, and Lift in WoR will be a main character in the second half. Plus all the worldbuilding and 'lore' we learn through interludes.

Fun fact: Each Prologue is going to be a different character's perspective during Gavilar's assassination.
>>
>>7600216
/lit/ isn't one person, and I wouldn't identify with them, but I love hard science fiction as long as it is not also dry science fiction.
>>
>>7600226
It is really fun, swaggalicious language, really feels like you're in an epic fantasy from that alone. Magic feels magical. There's warring and wrassling. Hot babes.
>>
>>7600244
>Lift in WoR will be a main character in the second half.
That's too bad. Of all Sanderson's characters I think his urchins are worst.
>>
>>7600276
Now you're talkin' my language
>>
File: Seveneves-book.jpg (64KB, 600x697px) Image search: [Google]
Seveneves-book.jpg
64KB, 600x697px
Anyone have a recommendation like Seveneves? Something desperate, not too far removed from technology now, and has a strong story?
>>
>>7600440
Larry & Jerry, Footfall. Fighting off an alien invasion with pic related.
>>
File: red rising.jpg (46KB, 333x499px) Image search: [Google]
red rising.jpg
46KB, 333x499px
Can anyone think of something along the lines of these? Doesn't even have to be YA, this wouldn't have been if not for the present tense. Something as brutal, Roman, and stylin'.
>>
>>7600450
>>7600440
>Hillary is willing to defend launch site with nuclear weapons
>Nobody did launches with Orion drives or nuclear salt-water rockets
Immersion lost.
The transhumanist getting uploaded by cannibals was pretty sweet though.
>>
File: 911.png (182KB, 442x341px) Image search: [Google]
911.png
182KB, 442x341px
>>7600454
I just finished reading this today and it's so terrible. Like, jesus is it bad.

>main character is from a society that has been enslaved for generations
>is a superhuman
>is a genius
>instantly understands every piece of new technology or political setting he comes across despite growing up in a literal hole in the ground with no education
>is outmaneuvering people who are at the top of their respective societies
>does not make a single mistake the entire book, not one
>is practically perfect

Eragon is better than this garbage.
>>
>>7600465
The book was making a point that artificial selection was failing for the Golds while natural selection was making the Reds better than them. And he makes tons of mistakes, gets stabbed in the belly, gets his friends killed, tries to be king of his house.
>>
File: Whelan_Stormlight_Shallan.jpg (898KB, 1258x936px) Image search: [Google]
Whelan_Stormlight_Shallan.jpg
898KB, 1258x936px
>>7600283
What do you mean by urchins? Like street urchins?

There is a time-skip between the two halves of the book so presumably she'll be a bit more mature by the time her book rolls around.
>>
>>7600582
Yeah, like Vin before she was Mistborn, like the little tinburner kid with that stupid accent, and I think someone else I hated in Elantris.
>>
Is anyone else sick of coming of age fantasy books where the main lead is some special snowflake who is honorable and has no vices? I was reading Gwynne's Malice and it struck me how boring it is.

Why can't more books be like The Magicians or the Dragonbone Chair? With fallible, human protagonists? Why is everything I've been reading recently shit?
>>
>>7600654
There's a weird reaction going on the fantasy scene where people are getting sick of "grimdark" fantasy and want a return to 80s styled fantasy.

It's the only reason why Sanderson is popular.
>>
File: tWoK_ENDSHEET-FRONT-2-webres.jpg (361KB, 1200x795px) Image search: [Google]
tWoK_ENDSHEET-FRONT-2-webres.jpg
361KB, 1200x795px
>>7600586
I didn't like how Vin's characterization went out the window once she became Mistborn.
>girl grows up in slums having nothing
>every day is spent making sure she isn't raped and killed
>guarding her few precious possessions and trying to not be robbed
>then attends first Noble Ball and can't stop wanting to go to more of them

Spook turned out to be a cool dude. He even became a manwhore after the trilogy, lel.
>>
Hi, if I've already read The Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit and the decent books in A Song of Ice and Fire, what fantasy books should I go to next? I've heard The Name of the Wind is good. Should I start there?
>>
>>7601410
You ask what you should read, you tell us what you have read, but you do not tell us what you like? As if there is some generally recommended course of fantasy for everyone? If you want to know what fantasy book you SHOULD read, it's the Iliad. If you want to know what fantasy book you would enjoy, you should tell us what you enjoy about fantasy books.
>>
>>7601410
The Dying Earth, Jack Vance
>>
>>7598512
Reasons? Cause so far it seems like you're just trying to meme me.
>>
>>7597351
>>7597717
>>7600582
Why do fantasy illustrators cram shit into their images in the most tasteless ways?
>>
>>7601593
I don't know what the fuck you're looking at, but the last one is quite tasteful.
>>
>>7601593
I like the work that Sanderson's illustrator does actually.
>>
>>7601410
Depends what kind of fantasy you like. Farseer trilogy is a safe bet. One of those rare books that's extremely accessible, yet remains amazing even for those who've read hundreds of fantasy books.

Name of the Wind is okay, not as bad as people here will say, but don't expect anything amazing either.
>>
>>7601784
Name of the Wind is fine. It's the big segment in WMF about Kvothe's amazing sex life that's shit.
>>
>>7598627
Not as much as everyone says.
There are just some major world and story elements that don't get explained right away (things like that are typically tied up a book or 2 later) so you sometimes just have to hang on and accept that you don't understand exactly what or why something is going on at the time.
This style does however make it pretty satisfying when everything comes together.
>>
>>7601784
Good recommendation, I'll second this guy's recc of Farseer. Now go away and stop bothering us.
>>
File: Andrzej Sapkowski Fans.jpg (74KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Andrzej Sapkowski Fans.jpg
74KB, 600x400px
>>7601410
"Geralt of Rivia" saga, of course!
>>
>>7602504
they look like X Japan fans

the jam of my teenage years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eqmkgSeYjI
>>
Got an advanced copy. Really fucking good. Dark and well written.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27417510-the-burning-isle
>>
>>7602638
>debut
How is there any hype about this?
>>
>>7602643
There's no hype, as far as I know. I got a chance to read it early and I liked it, so I posted a link.
>>
>>7602638
>grimdark
>pirates
Oh lord.
>>
>>7602680
I was more talking about why is there more than 0 people on good reads looking forward to it
>>
>>7597359
None of the Shannara books are worth taking the time to read.
>>
>>7602685
Penguin knows how to shill.

I've done freelance work for them. It's an impressive operation.
>>
File: tWoK_ENDSHEET-REAR-2-webres.jpg (384KB, 1200x795px) Image search: [Google]
tWoK_ENDSHEET-REAR-2-webres.jpg
384KB, 1200x795px
>>7601593
You what, pal?

>>7601744
Saved.

>>7601858
If the entire series was reduced to that one specific bit about Kvothe in Fairy Sex Land, then you would be correct.

>>7602691
Walker Boh fighting the Four Horsemen was pretty hype but I haven't read that in probably ten years so muh nostalgia. Shannara being post-apoc North America was cool.
>>
>>7602691
The Heritage was amazing, you should give it a second try.
>>
Anyone else not like Neverwhere? Dropped it 70 pages in, don't get the hype.
>>
>>7603027
I liked it OK at the time, but the 'magical London' thing has been done better since. Midnight Riot, Mieville's Kraken, London Falling - we've got enough of these to be getting on with, actually.
>>
>>7602965
>Saved.

>>7601744
You idiot, now he is gonna post this over and over....
>>
>>7602504
When I saw the X I thought it was Daniel X.
>>
>>7602693
Details?

Want to know how the book industry markets.
>>
>>7603258
They place your book next to ASOIAF/The Martian/Go Set a Watchman in the stores.
>>
What would you recommend someone that dislikes the old LOTR kind of fantasy (epic or high?) with goblins, elves and stuff? I guess I'm looking for something a bit more modern, maybe something in the direction of sword and sorcery or mythology. I also kind of like power level stuff as long as it's well done. Preferably stand alone or a trilogy at most.
>>
>>7603331
>power level stuff
Mistborn. It is epic fantasy, but has a pretty unique world as well, so no elves or dragons here.

The only fantasy books with eleves, dwarves, etc, that still get commonly recommended here are the middle earth ones and Last Wish, so you can't go wrong with any recommendations.

Don't know about any modern series in the vein of mythology, since that's usually Tolkien's thing. Have you read the classics there like Odyssey at least?
>>
>>7603331
See
>>7601520
>>
>>7603356
I'm honestly kind of new to Fantasy, just trying to broaden my horizon. I was also looking for something easier to follow and not so dense I guess, aka the opposite of ASoIaF with a million different characters and view points which made me kind of stay away from the genre.

Mistborn looks like something I'd enjoy, thanks.
>>
>>7602504
>tfw you will never read Polish
>>
Is Hyperion Cantos consistently good?
>>
>>7598501
An example?
>>
>>7597901

>ROTHFUSS

No they fucking aren't, and the magic system is shit. And FYI, I've been into fantasy for as long as I can remember; it's why I despise this book. Any fucking generic RPG has a better magic system than this piece of trash.

On-topic, I HATE this book OP. And let me explain to you, that when I use the word hate, I mean it, I mean absolute unbridled hatred, and furthermore, I can't think of a single other thing in this world I hate. I can think of things I dislike, certainly, things I would subjectively classify as weak or inferior, but this book is just fucking S H I T in EVERY - CONCEIVABLE - WAY.

I should mention that I read this book because at the time, and I'm not sure if this is still the case, but fucking Steve Erikson had a quote on the cover, something along the lines of, "This is the dark version of Harry Potter we're all been waiting for." Now I don't like fucking Harry Potter either, but whatever, it was in /lit/'s god-tier fantasy list alongside TC and PoN so I figured what the hell.

And let me explain to you pussy-quitters - I FINISHED THE BOOK. YES. I FINISHED IT. AND NOTHING HAPPENS. NOTHING FUCKING HAPPENS IN 600 OR WHATEVER THE FUCK PAGES IT HAD. WOW.

SO IT STARTS OFF WITH A MYSTERY, HIS FAMILY DIES, NOBODY GIVES A SHIT, HE'S A POOR KID FOR A WHILE, THEN HE GOES TO SCHOOL, PLAYS THE FUCKING VIOLIN OR WHATEVER, AVOIDS A VEGETARIAN DRAGON AND THE BOOK ENDS ON A CLIFFHANGER WITH HIM GOING INTO SOME LIBRARY. WOW. NEVERMIND THE FACT THAT THIS ROTHFUSS BITCH IS LITERALLY JUST WRITING ABOUT HIMSELF, AND ALL OF THESE FUCKING SHEEP ARE SAYING HOW GOOD IT IS. WOWIEEEEEEE. EVEN A HENTAI HAS A BETTER STORY AND WRITING.

Okay, I'm sorry /lit/, I literally can't help myself. This is the worst 'thing' I have ever experienced, and I've seen some REALLY SHITTY MOVIES and played some REALLY SHITTY GAMES, OKAY? NOTHING EVEN COMES CLOSE TO THIS. NOTHING IN THE WORLD IS AS BAD AS THIS BOOK, I GUARANTEE YOU.

Having said this, you must read this book. I am sincere in this OP, it's so bad that it must be read learned from. I understand, it will be hard: the characters are shitty, there is no plot, the prose is boring as fuck, and the world-building is babby's first fantasy - but it must be done.
This isn't just another shitty fantasy book. When I put this book down I knew that this was garbage of monumental significance, trash that went beyond all other trash in history; reading this is your walkabout, an anabasis, an event, a test of manliness. By reading this book you will learn to appreciate all other books, even the shitty ones, because at least they're works of love, even if they're the products of piss-poor authors; this is the work of Satan. There's a reason both of these motherfuckers have red hair, this book is the ANTI-literature the ANTI-art, the ANTI-quality, the ANTI-LIFE - OKAY?

Keep in mind, these feelings have lasted for years; I read this when it came out. It's truly the worst a human has ever created.
>>
>>7601741
she has her fucking safehand on her notebook
maybe not full nsfw but certainly pinup status
>>
File: 1234.png (2MB, 1584x812px) Image search: [Google]
1234.png
2MB, 1584x812px
>>7603534
>>
File: Nynaeve_tugged_her_braid.png (1MB, 1600x625px) Image search: [Google]
Nynaeve_tugged_her_braid.png
1MB, 1600x625px
>No one mentions the Wheel of Time.

I'm surprised and a little pleased.
>>
>>7603947
That picture is a shameful mess.
>>
>>7603819
keeping this as pasta thanks
>>
>>7603957

Sorry, that's actually how many books are in the series.
>>
>>7603819
On the bright side you'll now enjoy hentai more.
>>
>>7603703
Not at all.
>>
>>7603959

You're welcome, it's actually the only thing I ever repost that I've copied from someone else.
>>
>>7603961
>>7603947
I hope you're proud of bringing WoT into this thread. Nobody would have noticed.
>>
>>7603819
>EVEN A HENTAI HAS A BETTER STORY AND WRITING.

Which ShindoL?
>>
>>7600946

One thing I can't stand about Fantasy Maps is looking at a mess of countries whose names all look like they were randomly generated. Are there any series or authors other than Tolkien where, just by looking at the map, you can get some semblance of thought or meaning behind the names to places?
>>
I'm reading a book called Mardock Scramble, enjoying it so far. I've always liked the idea of somebody dying or coming close to it and rising back up with a new found power. Kinda like Robocop but in this case Balot has a pretty cool ability.

Anybody know of other books with similar themes of people rising from the ashes with a new ability of some sort?
>>
>>7603947
What are we supposed to make of this, what did you get from what you expected?
>>
>>7604105
He liked the gay, rape and incest in WoT
>>
File: black robe.jpg (25KB, 377x480px) Image search: [Google]
black robe.jpg
25KB, 377x480px
Tangentially related to >>7597717's question: are there any good (by Dragonlance standards) books with Raistlin Majere, outside the original trilogy and Twins? I know that universe isn't great, but I always liked Raistlin as a character. What's been done with him?
>>
Right now I'm reading Seveneves by Neal Stephenson.

I'm enjoying it, even if the constant berating of orbital mechanics can get a bit tedious. This is the first of his works I've read, but I'm interested in his other stuff.

I used to read a lot of fantasy, but I fell out of it, and now I try to pick up a series (one of my challenges) and I just can't get past like 75 pages.
>>
>>7598338
I myself am racist but I find the verbal intelligence of the Negro significantly outstrips his visuospatial ability.
>>
File: tWoK_ENDSHEET-REAR-1-webres.jpg (326KB, 1200x795px) Image search: [Google]
tWoK_ENDSHEET-REAR-1-webres.jpg
326KB, 1200x795px
>>7603703
Not in the least. There are a handful of contrarian faggots who will always argue otherwise.
>>
>>7603703
Yes.
>>
>>7603703
just stick with the first two.
>>
File: the_white_tower_captures_rand.gif (3MB, 320x227px) Image search: [Google]
the_white_tower_captures_rand.gif
3MB, 320x227px
>>7603947
>>
>>7603947
I've eyed this series for a while, but I've heard there are entire books where jack shit happens.
>>
>>7604377

I listened to the entire series on audiobook while at my old data entry job. I enjoyed it as an alternative to suicide induced by work related depression but just barely.
>>
>>7604421
So you're damning it with faint praise.
I guess I'll skip it then.
>>
>>7603981
Any vampire book desu desu
>>
>>7598551
Most people, arn't weeb enough to learn moonrunes. Nerd.
>>
>>7604466
different anon here. To be fair the author was dying and it affected the quality for sure.Brandon Sanderson came in and finished the last few book. He definitely brought the series back to the original quality. Its a good series but it has the worst female characters I have ever read.
>>
File: 1400012172973.jpg (356KB, 1280x996px) Image search: [Google]
1400012172973.jpg
356KB, 1280x996px
>>7597351

>What are you reading?
Got myself Solaris yesterday, do not expect that much from a polack, but maybe I will be pleasantly surprised.

Dunno about dragon slaying, I am not into fantasy anymore.

I hope there is someone here who is well read in sci-fi. Most things I have read so far have the tendency to spin out into some grand adventure and while I do like this turn of events, I always asked myself if there is a good sci-fi book which just sets up the world and describes the ordinary struggles of a normal inhabitant of this world. Roadside Picnic, Foundation trilogy and parts of the Neuromancer trilogy managed to do it in some regard for me, but that was obviously not the main intent behind them.

TL;DR: are there any worthwhile slice of life sci-fi books?
>>
>>7604991
Ancillary Sword, a entire book dedicated to drinking tea with a backdrop of intergalactic war.
>>
>>7604991
Not quite slice of life but what about the more societal sci-fi? If you like that, check out some of Le Guin's work like Dispossessed or Lathe of Heaven.
>>
>>7604991
If you're into hard sci check out blindsight by peter watts, it's brilliant
>>
>>7604687
I know friend, I'm not blaming you if you didn't do it, just saying the wealth of LNs available to English readers isn't really wealth at all.
>>
File: 1382512141764.jpg (1MB, 2738x1825px) Image search: [Google]
1382512141764.jpg
1MB, 2738x1825px
>>7605035
>>7605118
>>7605196

Honestly did not expect anyone to reply seriously, thank you.
All of those things sound like they go in the direction of what I am searching for, I will look into them.

Can't pay you back with anything than walls saddly.
>>
File: QI7ayBQ.png (289KB, 580x282px) Image search: [Google]
QI7ayBQ.png
289KB, 580x282px
>>7605541
>serious reply
>Ann Leckie
>>
>>7604115
He showed up some in the Dragons of Seasons books.
>>
>>7604131
>not liking constant infodumps
>reading Stephenson
>>
>>7603703
While I liked all four, I liked the first two best.
>>
>>7603819
Name of the Wind was decent, even though it was pretty much a Harry Potter rehash. Wise Man's Fear though... THAT was shit.
>>
>>7604241
>>7605565
I guess I'll definitely finish the first two, then mb continue.
>>
>>7598500
>>7599856
I love Spice & Wolf, but that's mostly because it revolves around the economic inner workings of society to near pornographic levels. Holo is also kind of adorable at times
>>
>>7600440
>5000 years later
Way to pull the rug out from under me. Just got to this point and had to put the book down for a bit.
>>
>>7606098
It's got some cool bits but it's not one of Stephenson's best endings. Would have been much better as a sequel, but I think he wanted to get on with whatever else he was doing.
>>
Hey guys, are there any good science fiction or fantasy books based off the Hellenic period, particularly Athenian culture? I'm kind of looking for a sword and sandal book, but any is fine considering the restrictions.
>>
>>7606511
Latro. The King Must Die. The Arkadians. The Thief. Till We Have Faces. Iliad.
>>
What you guys think about discworld?
>>
>>7606519
Thank you my friend.
>>
>>7606552
It's good. Bad at the beginnings and ends.
>>
>>7605196
Speaking of Blindsight
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2016/jan/20/ninth-planet-solar-system-edge-discovery-pluto
>>
File: 1444445115569.png (116KB, 800x388px) Image search: [Google]
1444445115569.png
116KB, 800x388px
>you will never bang an elf broad, or lady cyborg
>>
>>7606711
>>>/tg/ and >>>/aco/ might be more your taste, friend.
>>
>>7604090
Don't know about the book but I've watched the anime and it was horrible
>>
>>7602691
seconded and i've only read a paragraph which i'm sure jrr tolkein would say does not bode well
>>
Any recommendations on novels primarily based on spaceships or space stations? Simething along the likes of Rendezvous with Rama and 2001.
>>
File: ya blew it.jpg (21KB, 245x318px) Image search: [Google]
ya blew it.jpg
21KB, 245x318px
>>7597351
>What are you reading?
>not "What you are you reading?"

The Thousand Orcs
I don't like Orc stories but I finally need to get through all the Drizzt stuff.

never really thought about it.

One that is sophisticated and not a rooooaaaar bestial dragon
>>
>>7605196
>blindside
>hard sci

It features vampires!
>>
Basically I like Game of Thrones (the show) and don't have much experience reading fantasy. Should I read the ASOIAF books or will I lose interest as I know the main plot?
>>
>>7607478
I haven't watched the show so don't take my word on it but the majority of its readers seem to have got into it through the show.

Why not just go for similar fantasy books?
>>
>>7607478
If you're used to the pace of the show, you'll probably find the pace of the books an issue. But you could always go down to a place with the first book in the series, read the first few pages, and see if you like it.
>>
Why are books so fucking expensive reeeee
What are the most essential sci-fi/fantasy books in the public domain?
>>
>>7607601
Books are not that expensive. I generally pay between 12 and 18 EUR for a paperback. It would cost me about the same to go see a movie. Say that the average book you read is 400 pages long and that that would take you roughly 5-6 hours, that makes it much more cost-effective than going to a movie. And you can lend your books to your friends.
>>
File: map_roshar_2560x1600.jpg (4MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
map_roshar_2560x1600.jpg
4MB, 2560x1600px
>>7607101
Redemption Ark but not sure how stand-alone it is. The primary story of the novel involves an inter-system space chase.
>>
>>7607637
Redemption Ark should at least be read as part of a trilogy (Revelation Space/Redemption Ark/Absolution Gap), and I'd suggest adding Chasm City as well. Read them in publication order is what I'd suggest: RS, CC, RA, AG.
>>
>>7607601
Eon is a fantastic book by Greg bear. I also love Time Snake and Super Clown by Vincent King.
>>
>>7607601
Disregard my comment. I need to read the full comment first before replying.
>>
>>7607121
Hard SF vampires.
>>
>>7607101
Greg Bear - Hull Zero Three
>>
File: mb03_symbols-webres.jpg (81KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
mb03_symbols-webres.jpg
81KB, 750x500px
>>7607646
>leaving out The Prefect
I didn't think anon wanted to read an entire series but I'd also add most of the supplementary novellas and short stories.
>>
>>7607601
Same reason a digital copy is the same price, or more expensive than paper.

It's the publication industry, the over inflate their prices because they know their sales will not last forever, and they have to make as much as possible while they can.
>>
File: images.jpg (38KB, 516x285px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
38KB, 516x285px
What do you guys think about (pic related) series? Should I buy all three?
>>
>>7600168
Better than the Big 2 and an excellent piece of Sci-Fi, good luck getting these guys to read it.
>>
>>7608841
They're pretty gud if you like pulpy space opera.
>>
>>7608841
Boring 4 me
>>
Has anyone on /lit/ read the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson? I got through Red Mars, and while I enjoyed the plot, the techobabble is overwhelming as fuck. It's all accurate, but some parts are hard to read through because it's incredibly dry.

Was wondering if anyone also read Green/Blue Mars. Can't decide if I want to finish the series.
>>
>>7609275
it is 'future history'; as such it is sometimes overwhelmingly dry and detailed, and operates on various levels. both geological, scientific, small operations, single people, societal groups, provinces, planets, cross-planetary politics, generational divides, cities, art, food, religion, culture, etc etc.

I think the overwhelming question asked in this series is 'what is the ideal society'. Mars is merely a blank slate where to build this state, removed from historical facts and structures on earth. Of course, the auther soon makes clear this total isolation is impossible. Various other, quite philosophical questions are asked as well; the importance of community, of education, of art, of colour perception, the value of a planet in and of itself, etc. all these -and more - are asked and in some ways treated. I really liked this.

However, the books are, as you say, long. The technobabble is, although imho believable, quite dry at times, but give an impression of the value of science in a society like this, and serve as extensions of the will of the various characters. If you liked the first one you might as well read the next one; but I think the first is the strongest. More interesting stuff and questions are asked, of course, so if it tickled you in any way then I would recommend to read them.
>>
>>7603703
I think the first two are best, about it.
>>
>>7597653
Charles R. Saunders, the Imaro trilogy.
>>
>>7609650
Whoops, meant for
>>7598334
>>
>>7607601
Go to used bookstores/thrift stores/library sales nigga. You can also find most books used on Amazon for like 4-5 dollarydoos if you want a specific book.
>>
File: 15750692.jpg (30KB, 309x475px) Image search: [Google]
15750692.jpg
30KB, 309x475px
This any good? Or should I look for another series?
Last series I read and liked was Stormlight, then I bought a boxed set of Mistborn and got bored halfway into the first book.
Any recommendations?
>>
>>7610133
Warbreaker by Sanderson and anything by Brent Weeks
>>
Best Moorcock books?
>>
>>7610928
Black Prism is GOAT but the sequels get fewer plot twists.
>>
>>7606956
Yeah just tried watching the Mardock Scramble anime after finishing the book. I could only take 30 minutes of it, absolutely awful.

I enjoyed the book though. It dragged on a bit too much in some areas but the pay off for those certain parts ended pretty well. That whole casino part, my patience was thinning but the final showdown at the blackjack table was so satisfying and worth it.
>>
Hay /lit/, I just finished reading The Forever War, A Canticle for Leibowitz, and The Stand in the past several days and I'm looking for something that gives off a similar vibe of future, conflict, grandiose importance, etc. Any recommendations? Something along the lines of Earth Abides but more "out there."
>>
File: Severian Bear.png (37KB, 853x625px) Image search: [Google]
Severian Bear.png
37KB, 853x625px
>>7597957
>>
>>7607965
The Prefect is not essential IMO. It's a prequel that was written more or less as an afterthought 4-5 years after the original trilogy/quadrilogy which was released with only a year between books.
>>
>>7610133
I enjoy the series the first book Malice is a nice coming of age fantasy with nice but not too surprising twists .then when you get to the third book if you enjoyed everything you read thus far that's when everything comes to a head and suffering begins.
>>
Are there any books where a big plot point is that the main character dies and comes back to life?
>>
>>7597957
You forgot
>HAHA! It was Dr Island all along!
>>
>>7611633
There was a YA series that was really popular a few years ago that did that. The one with the broomstick soccer games.
>>
>>7611633
Mardock Scramble

A young prostitute gets blown the fuck up and is give a new body. She is then able to control all electronic devices wirelessly and turns into a bit of a badass.
>>
>>7611633
The Gospels
>>
File: twok_ephemera-3_history-webres.jpg (182KB, 795x1200px) Image search: [Google]
twok_ephemera-3_history-webres.jpg
182KB, 795x1200px
>>7611265
I suppose. It does showcase pre-Melding Plague technology so it's great for that. By your logic, I'd say that a lot of the novellas/short stories are essential too, then. Conjoiner backstory. How Demarchists came to be. How Conjoiner drives work. How the overall series ends. Etc etc.
>>
Just finished Rendezvous with Rama and wow what a ride.

I hear the sequels are pretty bad but should I maybe give them a try anyway? I'm worried they will ruin my enjoyment of the first book.
>>
>>7611786
Is it really that good?

I always avoided it because the plot outline sounded so generic and predictable
>>
>>7611867
Everything Clarke wrote sounds generic because he invented it.

Rendezvous with Rama bored me to tears though.
>>
Please help me pick the best books from the following list:

The Time Machine
Fahrenheit 451
Brave New World
Rendezvous with Rama
2001: The Space Odessey
Cryptonomicon
Anathem
Snow Crash
Neromancer
The Culture Series
Contacts
Clockwork Orange
War of the World
Hyperion
Foundation Trilogy
I, robot
The Book of the New Sun
The Fifth Head of Cerberus
Left Hand of Darkness
Dispossessed
Stranger in a Strange Land
The Thrawn Trilogy
Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy
Do Android Dream of Electric Ship?
The Road
The Stand
Cat's Cradle
Animal Farm
Mars Trilogy
Perdido Street Station
The Mote in God's Eye
VALIS
Childhood's End
Embassytown
Ender's Game
Handmaid's Tale
Slaughterhouse Five
World War Z
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Starship Troppers
Dune
Forever War
The Canticle for Lebowitz
The Martian Chronicles
Space Trilogy
I am Legend
Time Traveller's Wife
The Illustrated Man
Doomsday Book
Caves of Steel
Ring World
A Fire Upon the Deep
Old Man's War
Diamond Age
Lucifer's Hammer
Journey to the Center of the Earth
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
>>
>>7611887
Best for what?
>>
>>7611892
*Writing
>>
>>7611900
You're asking which book out of those has the best prose?
>>
>>7611900
If you're asking about quality of prose, it would be Book of the New Sun and Hyperion.
>>
>>7611786
The Rama sequels are probably some of the worst sequels ever written. Don't read them unless you just want to join the numberless chorus telling people not to read them.

>>7611867
Rendezvous probably won't live up to the hype, but it's one of Clarke's better novels. To the extent that it sounds "generic", as >>7611870 pointed out it's because of subsequent imitation.
>>
>>7610928
>>7610928
Why do people keep recommending Brent Weeks. It's so completely average. I mean, we can't be recommended Malazan, First Law and ASOIAF or whatever all day long, but still.

The wifey character is a demanding bitch who the main one just cowtows to, and a lot of it is just "Oh I have super black stone, I'm super edgeman who's just great".

It's not as good as the first Scott Lynch book but probably on par with the ones below. Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt or Tom Lloyd's Twilight Rain series are much better, at the level of Peter V. Brett before he got so caught up in repeating not-muslim ideals over and over and over, hell, even Sam Barone's Empire series is pretty darn comfy.

Same with Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean. He literally says this is the prophecy, shit keeps happening, but it's all supposed to, nothing can go wrong. If the prophecy stuff was left out those books would be so much better, especially considering the time period they were written, but it's central to the plot, and it repeats itself over the two 5 books series.

Another one that confuses me is no one ever recommends Peter F Hamilton for Sci-Fi. He doesn't do great endings, they usually feel a bit rushed, but that's only the very tail end to several fantastic series, all with fantastic worldbuilding.

Stephen Donaldson, his Sci-Fi, although filled with ass-pull after ass-pull is better than his fantasy when you read it in this time period. I can see how it would be revolutionary for the time, elements of realism mixed with the fantastic, but nowadays it's just somewhat lacking.
>>
>>7611786
As long as you go into them not expecting amazing works maybe they're worth it, it goes into way more detail about who the aliens actually were and what the whole point of the ship is.
But it also has a whole lot of shitty relationship drama thrown in.
>>
>>7611887
Best?
>Muh Prose
The Book fot he New Sun
The Road
Hyperion
The Martian Chronicles

>"Canonical Relevance"/historiography
Brave New World
Neuromancer
War of the Worlds
Foundation
New Sun
Hitchhiker's Guide
Childhood's End
Stranger in a Strange Land
TMiaHM
Starship Troopers
Dune
Ring World
20,000 Leagues
Ender's Game

>My personal unqualified recommendations
Brave New World
Snow Crash
New Sun
TMiaHM
Starship Troopers
The Forever War
Dune
Canticle for Leibowitz
Martian Chronicles
The Illustrated Man
A Fire upon the Deep
The Diamond Age
Rendezvous with Rama
>>
>>7611932
>Stephen Donaldson
Get the fuck out, anyone who reads Stephen and likes it, should not give opinions on other people's likes. Chronicles of Thomas Covenant is one of the worst book ever written. Your opinions are disregarded.
>>
>>7611932
>Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt
One of the most mediocre fantasy series I've ever read. I finished 4 books, so it wasn't all bad, certainly better than Brett who you also mentioned (couldn't get past the first 100 pages of his shit book) but I would only recommend it to massive Wheel of Time fans.
>>
File: kJscbmh.png (854KB, 600x887px) Image search: [Google]
kJscbmh.png
854KB, 600x887px
>They're removing popular Science Fiction and Fantasy authors from book stores in Toronto because they upset Marxist sensibilities
>/lit/ said this wouldn't happen and /pol/ has a persecution complex
>>
>>7612045
>>They're removing popular Science Fiction and Fantasy authors from book stores in Toronto because of bankruptcy due to mass piracy
Fixed.
>>
>>7612048
Try again apologist, they're being petitioned by supporters of CPC, an actual Marxist political party.
>>
>>7612051
What.
Well at least people in your country actually read books, every bookstore near me has filed for bankruptcy.
>>
>>7612045
>>7612048
Well there was that campaign to remodel the World Fantasy Award statuette to no longer resemble Lovecraft because he wrote a poem about niggers and abloo bloo das racis'!

https://www.change.org/p/the-world-fantasy-award-make-octavia-butler-the-wfa-statue-instead-of-lovecraft
>>
>>7612055
>Well at least people in your country actually read books

They don't, the book stores are heavily subsidised and haven't earnt a profit in a decade; they're only kept around so Toronto doesn't resemble a uncultured barren wasteland.
>>
File: Nigga Dog.jpg (27KB, 265x285px) Image search: [Google]
Nigga Dog.jpg
27KB, 265x285px
>>7607621
>between 12 and 18 EUR for a paperback
>>
>>7612065
They've already removed Lovecraft from the World Fantasy Award, S. T. Joshi was so disgusted he returned his awards and called them "irremediably tainted"
>>
>>7612051
>>7612048
First you say they're removing them but then you say it's a petition.
>>
>>7611633
Book of the New Sun
>>
>>7612074
He was triggered
>>
>>7612048
>Losing money because of low sales
>remove a bunch of best sellers to stop it

??????
>>
>>7612075
What? A petition can refer to many different types of request other than a internet poll.
>>
>>7611887
>1984
>Brave New World
>The Culture Series
>Hyperion
>The Book of the New Sun
>The Fifth Head of Cerberus
>Left Hand of Darkness
>Dispossessed
>Do Android Dream of Electric Ship?
>The Road
>VALIS
>Dune
>Forever War
>The Canticle for Lebowitz
These are the best
>>
File: 1436432393027.jpg (59KB, 500x420px) Image search: [Google]
1436432393027.jpg
59KB, 500x420px
>>7612045
>buying books at bookstores
>>
>>7612148
As >>7612069 pointed out they don't really have a sound business model anymore, they're just subsidized cultural artifacts. As far as >>7612080, sales mean nothing, these bookstores are literally government-funded marketing campaigns now. Money doesn't matter, promoting Progress matters, and this accomplishes that. It's like complaining that your marketing department isn't generating revenue.
>>
>>7612148
Where else am I supposed to buy books then?
>>
>>7612027
I said that I didn't see the hype about Covenant. I said his Sci-Fi was better. And it still wasn't great.
It might have been good for the time.
>>
>>7612044
That's what I mean, it's not on the level of the "top" ones I mentioned, but I found it a lot better than some of the ones that people put forward all the time here, Brent Weeks being the most obvious offender. Jim Butcher's Codex Alera is another comfy one, Chris Bunch's dragonmaster series sits in that area too. Some of Feists riftwar - The Serpentwar Quartet is great and you don't really need to read much of the rest, Magician would be helpful and is worth the read anyhow.

More on Donaldson, it's just the same old shit over and over again, much like Terry Brooks. At least Donaldson uses his own original shit over and over, where Brooks just ripped off LOTR, created a couple more artifacts/powers than just the ring for later books, and then had said artifacts/powers lost every few generations so they had to be found again in each new series.
>>
>>7612079
I wouldn't be surprised if he had to be hospitalized after hearing the announcement, he must've been seriously upset.
>>
Is Bernard Cornwell's The Saxon Stories any good? I kind of liked The Last Kingdom (TV series) so I was thinking of getting into the series.
>>
>>7612070
Mass market paperbacks cost like 12 EUR here, larger paperbacks can cost quite a bit more. What are you trying to say?
>>
>>7607601
A poorfags guide to reading:

>buy an ereader
>pirate all the books
>>
literally the equivalent to the anime thread in /ic/
>>
File: Terror_simmons.jpg (35KB, 320x500px) Image search: [Google]
Terror_simmons.jpg
35KB, 320x500px
This shit is amazing, Simmons is such a fucking horrible writer holy shit. He did a fair amount of groundwork so it's actually entertaining at first to read up on how expeditions were set and provisioned, what types of ice are there, what to look for when outfitting a ship, crew composition etc but everything else oh my God.

I'm some 40 percent in and I actually had to bookmark Blanky's chapter when he's running from the creature on top of masts and ropes and it's like a deadpan Jackie Chan picture only Simmons obviously didn't have that intention in mind and Jesus fuck he can not write action sequences to save his life.

And now he tried to do some extravaganza chapter with carneval out of nothing that one sailor envisioned like a fucking Eyes Wide Shut master of protocol because he saw it in a magazine.

Hahahaha I can't believe there's 60 percent more of this shit, hope it gets even more ludicrous, didn't see a writer try so hard since I don't remember when.
>>
>>7612820
just wait for the weird lewd bits
>>
>>7612830
As I've said he's a shit writer and I've just read the rest of synopsis on Wikipedia. It's purple prose of the worst sort, or whatever the name is for the purple gory prose. He butchered that Crozier character repeating his traits every fucking chapter. Whiskey - lowborn - Irish - lockjaw - whiskey - lowborn...

I guess they pay him by the word.
>>
>>7612820
Isn't Simmons the guy that obsessively introduces new concepts into his books almost every page?
>>
>>7612883
I only read Hyperion and Endymion and Song of Kali before this (that one was mercifully short compared to everything else), he's more like the guy that won't stop focusing and retelling the same crap with no plot advancement, I started to hate historical Keats by the time I hit the middle of Endymion. He's fucking relentless.
>>
>>7612887
Yeah, I thought some parts parts of Hyperion were great, but his Keats boner is out of control
>>
>>7612251
Amazon.
>>
I'm a fucking loser who's been reading a while but always thought that writing your own novel is just as bad of a meme as trying to publish a mixtape. Well, My DnD party really liked a campaign i did and told me i should turn it into a book so i started working on it but i have no clue if its absolute shit or not. Can i post it here and you guys tell me how shit it is? Is that a thing that's acceptable here?
>>
>>7613382
What part? Prose? Plot? Setting? Character? Probably the plot is what you're most proud of, I'm guessing the twist about the bad guy? Yeah, go ahead. Your prose probably sucks since that's something that normally comes from experience, and your characterization is probably poor because most of the characters are your friends, but give us your best shot.
>>
>>7613382
look if there's a containment thread first please

certainly don't post it in this thread.
>>
>>7613382
Put it in the critique thread. I'll give you notes
>>
I've finally been watching through Star Trek. Just saw this at the book store and it made me want to get into the books, too.. Is there a good place to start? Are any of them canon?
>>
>>7613979
I've never read any trek book but this. It's fun for trek fans but it's not even close to well written. Best thing about it is what the writer did to the final frontier.
>>
File: mb01_world_map-webres.jpg (291KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
mb01_world_map-webres.jpg
291KB, 800x1200px
>>7612883
And doesn't explain most of them, yes.
>>
I want something about SPACE, senpai. Something like the Fall of Reach book.
>>
>>7614246
I think you'd really enjoy the links in the OP.
>>
File: Sebearian.png (48KB, 853x625px) Image search: [Google]
Sebearian.png
48KB, 853x625px
>>7611157
I felt this was unsatisfying so here's to you.
>>
>>7614301
Excellent.
>>
So should I give in to all the talk/hype and finally read Mistborn? I've never read any of his books before but it sounds decent enough. Although by what I'm hearing it just seems like what all the "cool kids" are doing raving about it.
>>
>>7614314
Reddit in novel form.
>>
Just read The Name of The Wind. Fucking amazing.

What would you fellas recommend to someone thats really into exploration/archaeology type shit?
>>
File: hello reddit.jpg (127KB, 1172x316px) Image search: [Google]
hello reddit.jpg
127KB, 1172x316px
>>7614320
What could possibly make you say that?

Honestly, though, they're decent SF novels that happen to use bizzaro physics. Sanderson's much more a descendant of Asimov than Eddison.
>>
I've been looking to get into some of the pulp character stuff like The Shadow and Doc Savage. Anybody have any recommendations?
>>
suppose instead of fire, water, earth and air being the classical elements the four fundamental forces were instead. What meaning would we attach to each in fantasy?

>Gravity: very weak, infinite range. deals with space and time. Acts on mass/energy
>Electromagnetism: strong, infinite range. deals with light, technology, chemical reactions. works on charge and spin
>Weak Force: weak, short range. deals with transforming one particle into another. acts on flavor charge (up/down)
>Strong Force: very strong, short range. Deals with color charge (red, green, blue)
>>
>>7611001
Favorites are 6 main Elric books and Corum books. Odd he hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet.
>>
>>7608841
Best star wars books by far, too bad it's non-official canon now though. Great characters.
>>
>>7614435
/tg/ would be a better place for that honestly. We're more or less a /tg/ colony as is.
>>
>>7612489
I haven't read Weeks. I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but I feel like I know everything I need to know about his books from them.
>>
>>7612580
I liked the rape, gay and incest in Saxon Stories series.
>>
>>7597904
what if I shave my balls?
>>
File: 1450666964004.jpg (19KB, 320x181px) Image search: [Google]
1450666964004.jpg
19KB, 320x181px
>>7614564
I, too, can instantly determine the quality of a book via my renowned telepathic skills.
>>
>>7614314
It's basically a Western anime. Great plot and worldbuilding, but very workmanlike prose and dialogue. That should be enough info to judge whether you would like it or not.
>>
File: tumblr_mxr32oUqc41sx0mcoo1_1280.png (540KB, 1058x565px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mxr32oUqc41sx0mcoo1_1280.png
540KB, 1058x565px
>>7614564
>those covers
>>
I'm the anon who posted about the Thrawn Trilogy here. My question is how are the pros of the first book?
>>
>>7614564
>we want the assassin creed audience.
>>
>>7614643
On his site, Weeks talks about how much he loves hooded guys.
>>
File: alloy_map_2_elendel_gray-webres.jpg (530KB, 1589x1200px) Image search: [Google]
alloy_map_2_elendel_gray-webres.jpg
530KB, 1589x1200px
>>7614387
>bizarre physics
Basically. The Cosmere follows our laws of physics... except for when they don't (Investiture becomes involved). We haven't really gotten to wacky law-breaking yet, though.
>waiting to see how Allomancy creates FTL space travel
>skeleton.wav

>>7614564
Lightbringer series is fun, even more if you like color-based magicks.
>>
File: 1425838573423.jpg (102KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1425838573423.jpg
102KB, 800x800px
>>7614301
>>
>>7614368
Not the sequel, that's for sure. If Name of the Wind is a 7/10, Wise Man's Fear is a 4/10.
>>
>>7614368
>>7615266
I had mixed feelings about it. The writing was crappy, and there was way too much exposition. The story made up for it though, I suppose.
>>
Does Malazan have any badass female fighter characters? Not mary sue, TFA Rey badass but ones with actual personality and character development? I heard there were a lot of subplots in the series so one of them must have something like this right?
I'm looking for inspiration for an RPG character.
>>
>>7615406
Close to a dozen. Lorn, Paran's sister, Apsalar, half the Bonecasters and a lot of the Jaghut, and that's without even mentioning any of the Tiste.
>>
File: 6.jpg (785KB, 1181x1863px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
785KB, 1181x1863px
>>7597351

>http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/a/a8/1307836551252.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110612005642

Image size: for ants

Could somebody post this image in a size that humans can read? I really need some more fantasy literature and those guides have proven to be pretty helpful (when you can actually read them).
>>
>>7615520
The image is perfectly fine if you're not using a phone.
>>
File: 1111111.jpg (263KB, 1410x888px) Image search: [Google]
1111111.jpg
263KB, 1410x888px
>>7615771

Seriously?
All I get is a super compressed thumbnail.

Pic related, it's what it looks like for me.

How can I view it in a normal resolution?
>>
>>7614649
Top lel
Post links or quotes because I can't be bothered to look it up
>>
File: laughing cunt.jpg (21KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
laughing cunt.jpg
21KB, 620x413px
>>7614658
>even more if you like color-based magick
>color-based magick
>color-based
>magick
>>
>>7615806
You using Firefox? Try a different browser. PS: the image sucks but nobody wants to make a new one because it will be shat all over.
>>
>>7615995
>nigger magic
>spic magic
>gook magick
we got em all sister
>>
File: 1436140444671.jpg (505KB, 1034x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1436140444671.jpg
505KB, 1034x1600px
>>7614301
Saved.
>>
I'm looking for fantasy recommendations to read that'll really pull me into their world. Good world building (but not over the top LOTR descriptions), a captivating story where stuff actually happens sometimes and characters that aren't mary sues but actually have their flaws, dreams, personality, sins, history.

What I've read so far and what I thought of it:

The kingkiller chronicles book 1 & 2: Was alright. The main character is a total gary stu and nothing much happens in those 2 books. Not really excited in book 3 but I'll read it whene it comes out.

The Dark Tower series: GOAT.

Dune: Amazing world and characters. Of course Paul is the perfect man, but Dune couldn't be written any other way.

I heard the Lightbringer series by Brent Weeks is good and so if the First Law trilogy by Abercrombie and The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson is incredible.

Will any of those fit the bill?
>>
>>7616616
First Law's world is very generic.

At the risk of being ripped to pieces, have you read a song of Ice and Fire?
>>
>>7616653
Nah, I just watch the TV series. I considered reading the books when the series started but GRRM will probably be dead before he can finish the books.
>>
>>7616664
The show is much schlockier and less detailed than the books.
>>
>>7616689
Definitely. I believe you.
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 53

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.