[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books you loved when you were 12

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (2MB, 2909x2112px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2909x2112px
Post 'em. Pic related is mine
>>
File: 9781407135595.jpg (24KB, 266x400px) Image search: [Google]
9781407135595.jpg
24KB, 266x400px
Inb4 meme trilogy, Greeks etc
>>
>>7593042

Pretty gay taste, never read any adventure novels ?
>>
>>7593053
What do you mean by adventure novels? Star Wars EU?
>>
>>7593053
>tries to drag others down
>fails to post something better
>>
hatchet
the outsiders
the order of the phoenix
>>
I just played videogames as a twelve year old.
>>
>>7593075
Absolutely revolting

>>7593068
I remember reading Hatchet immediately after Call of the Wild and being very underwhelmed
>>
>>7593058

Treasure Island

The Brothers Lion Heart

Moby Dick ( though maybe not for a 12 y/o )

Harry Potter
>>
I was barely reading at 12. I liked James Bond and Max Brooks.

Found Lolita at 14, though. More or less started there.
>>
Wayside School books, BFG, Harry Potter, And Then There Were None, Hobbit, Holes, maybe a few others
>>
Holes was the GOAT
>>
>>7593107
I also remember reading several other books from my elementary school library, e.g. Encyclopedia Brown, Cam Jansen, Veronica Ganz, and probably more. Also read The Outsiders and Johnny Tremain for classes.
>>
>>7593042
I was reading fantastic fiction at that age, so Drizzt Saga and stuff like that I guess.
>>
>>7593090
There are plenty of adventure books like that on my list, family. Perhaps you just haven't read them to recognize their nature?

>21 Balloons: a man finding the island of Krakatoa full of diamonds and brings 26 families with young children to live there. they build an amusement park and fantastical homes, the island blows up and they escape via hot air balloon
>Heidi: orphaned little girl sent to live with batshit crazy goatherd great uncle by apathetic aunt who changed her mind, retrieved her, and "sold" her to a wealthy family in the city as a companion for invalid daughter. Ends up helping invalid get better after descending into depression herself and returning to mountain
>clan of the cave bear: homo sapiens little girl raised by neanderthals, raped and exiled after giving birth to freaky deformed mixed spawn of the new clan leader, has to learn to survive on her own

>>7593107
Good taste. The Wayside books were hilarious, HOLES was touching
>>
>>7593162
Oh yeah, >>7593107 here, I also read the five Warcraft novels that were out at the time. I still have four of them (I read Of Blood and Honor on the internet). I also read one of the Starcraft novels which I also still have.
>>
>>7593042

Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea
Robinson Crusoe
Sherlock Holmes
The Time Machine
>>
Greek mythology. Not even memeing
>>
2nd for Treasure Island
Sherlock Holmes short stories (didn't read the novels until college)
Edgar Allen Poe short stories
The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Captains Courageous
Hardy Boys
>>
>>7593183
Ma nigga
>>
File: image.jpg (77KB, 337x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
77KB, 337x500px
>>7593176
Oh fuck you reminded me of pic related, I read several of this series

>>7593183
Me too! I read Edith Hamilton's Mythology before my trip to Rome when I was nine
>>
>>7593188
And one about Bongs spying on ze Germans in their sailboat that was really good but I couldn't convince any of the other needs to read
>>
I remember middle school in particular being a literary catastrophe. Scholastic had business with the school district and would come in with their book fairs full of just terrible books. The closest we got to any measure of 'lit crit' was the book reports they would ask us to write about these terrible newbury medal nominees.

We read Tom Sawyer in sixth grade but that was as good as it got. I remember doing miserable group projects and having awful class discussions, and no one suggesting at any point that I read anything good.

My grandmother and my dad would give me Hardy Boys books, but I didn't like them very much. My school library only had a little bit of Sherlock Holmes and I was only really interested in reading the zombie survival guide in my free time

it took until almost my junior year of high school to start reading more than one book a year independently
>>
>>7593175
>>7593148
>>7593107
Oh and after all this I mostly just read mangas. My favorites were Berserk, Death Note and Hunter x Hunter. I'm still following two of them. I'm also still reading One Piece even though I hate it now. Dropped Naruto and Bleach a very long time ago.
>>
>>7593214
>My favorites were Berserk, Death Note and Hunter x Hunter.
Oh yeah and 20th Century Boys.
>>
File: image.jpg (117KB, 736x697px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117KB, 736x697px
>>7593205
Scholastic had some OK stuff available, like pic related

>>7593090
Upon further reflection I think I consider most books "adventure"
>>
File: Book Order.jpg (107KB, 406x500px) Image search: [Google]
Book Order.jpg
107KB, 406x500px
Anybody else remember pic related in school? I always looked forward to these days, although hauling all the books home kinda sucked.

-Harry Potter
-Eragon
-Garth Nix series
-Survival (Crusoe, Swiss Family, Hatchet, Mountain, etc.)
- Magic School Bus
- Dark Materials
- Narnia
- Dark is Rising
- Redwall

Can't remember if some of these were in middle or elementary school though. I have a shitty memory.
>>
>>7593239
How many Redwall books did you read before you realized they all have the same plot?

Did you finish the Eragon series?
>>
>>7593239
I watched the Magic School Bus cartoon and one of the older Narnia movies when I was little
>>
>>7593243

I don't remember, it was too long ago. Only a couple though.

As for Inheritance, yeah. Although it was kind of sad watching a series that you love becoming progressively crappier. Or maybe that was just my perspective changing after I've read more books.
>>
>>7593295
It was definitely perspective, the first is p terrible now. It has some redeeming qualities though while the last one absolutely does not.
>>
>>7593239
My grandma gave me Eragon when I was a kid but I never read it. Get fucked, grandma. >:)
>>
>>7593042
The Dune series, I think.
>>
>>7593200
>>7593049
>>7593107
These for sure. Pretty much anything Roald Dahl. The Wrinkle in Time series went kind of whack later though, same thing with Ender's Game with the Speaker for the Dead route
>>
File: 1434497133113.jpg (338KB, 1369x1183px) Image search: [Google]
1434497133113.jpg
338KB, 1369x1183px
>>7593042
i was masturbating and playing vidya when i was 12.
>>
as a 12-13 year old I was reading the shit out of dan brown, i think i've read all of his books he had back then
>>
>>7593095
Reading lolita at 14, I don't think would have the same impact as reading it as an adult.
>>
>>7593183
Me too bruh. I was really into Norse as well. Read some Egyptian too but I don't remember much about it.
>>
File: 1451424188740.jpg (346KB, 800x836px) Image search: [Google]
1451424188740.jpg
346KB, 800x836px
>>7593692
>tfw still masturbating

how do I stop? I want to cut it out of my life completely, but I can hardly go more than 2 months with out doing it
>>
>>7594397
Going 2 months without it is pretty good. There's no point in cutting it out.
>>
>>7593042
did anyone here enjoy reading Harry Potter at age 12?
>>
Only ones I can remember: Animal Farm, The Wind Singer, The Book of the Dun Cow, Dune, Dracula, LOTR.

Most of the books mentioned in this thread I read when I was 8 or 9 when I still had access to public libraries. By my 12th year we moved countries and my choices had become relatively limited. I only realize now what a decline that was.
>>
>>7594392
I've read it since, it was a great book to read early because of the complicated moral picture. I remember talking to my dean about it, 'of course I think Humbert is a villain but isn't Nabokov baiting us the other way?'

Lolita was also my early intro to Kubrick
>>
The Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, Pendragon, all that kind of shit. Anything that even vaguely resembled fantastical escapism was my shit.
>>
>>7593236
n-n-n-zingha
>>
>>7594818
That was one of the best of those books, I still think about it on the reg
>>
>>7593042
I read 20,000 Leagues and Mysterious Island.

Need to read more Verne one day.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.