[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

books for kids

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: igumnov06.jpg (670KB, 1024x944px) Image search: [Google]
igumnov06.jpg
670KB, 1024x944px
guys, what books had you have read to you as a child?
i'm searching for some to read to my son. he's only 5 so i'd have to wait a little bit until he's ready for longer and more elaborated stories,

so far i got "the secret garden" by burnett and "momo" by ende. but they are slightly questionable.
i mean, one is about an insane guy holding his even more insane wife hostage in the atticks. the other has this "our society is doomed, only grey people wherever you look" mentality that i don't particualrarily like.

what about stuff like "brothers lionhearth","Mio" or "the neverending story". "Narnia"?
Help /lit/!
>>
http://www.mrbauld.com/bloomjr.html

Mr. Bloom is the god of /lit/
>>
>>7592371
>http://www.mrbauld.com/bloomjr.html
thanks for the link! 'll look into it anon.
but from gazing over it he seems to be all over "the wind in the willow" which is exactly what i'm not looking for. those characters are appaling...
>>
I remember the boxcar children series fondly as well.
>>
>>7592389
>the boxcar children series
i like the plot summary on wikipedia. i might give them a try! i like when it's about advenutre rather than a moral that should be inclined into the childs head...
>>
Leave stuff like Narnia until he's about 7.

For now, why not read him some Rohl Darl and David Walliams?
>>
The Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling

The Jungle Book is pretty good as well, but Just So Stories are a step above.
>>
The Moomintroll books by Tove Jansson.

I remember reading and being read a lot of Enid Blyton stuff as well.
>>
>>7592676
>David Walliams

Fuck off
>>
>>7592369

Basically anything Astrid Lingren ,
Emil i Lönneberga ,

Brothers Lionheart ,

Pippi Longstocking,

The Six Bullerby Children.

I'd also recommend the Petit Nicolas books
>>
this

the grimm brothers for when he gets 1-2 years older
>>
>>7592369
I just read my daughter Rikki-Tikki-Tavi from the Jungle Book, and she wants me to get her more kipling. She also likes Poe's poems, loved Dinotopia, loved Scary Stories to tell in the Dark. Wind in the Willows is a little slow for her, might have to give it a few years.

>>7592389
Also great

And the d'aulaires are fucking masters of childrens books
>>
>>7592810
I had that one as a kid, it was pretty violent
>>
>>7592369

No mention of The Little Prince yet? Shameful.
>>
>>7592971
I thought it was boring when I was a kid and I still do. Madeline and Babar are superior francophone books and translations
>>
>>
>>7592383
i was just about to come and post that bloom's list was fantastic - treasure island, wind in the willows, where the wild things are, the jungle book. but here you are shitting on it.

i guess you might also check out shel silverstein's poems
>>
File: 84119.jpg (28KB, 318x475px) Image search: [Google]
84119.jpg
28KB, 318x475px
Pic related. It's the best in the series in my opinion.
>>
just get him to browse /lit/
>>
>>7592383
>Wind in the Willows "apalling"
>>
>>7592977
berenstein
>>
>>7592965
Hell yeah.

The D'Aulaires Greek Myths is fantastic too, a less violent than >>7592810, if you're worried about that.

No love for Alice in Wonderland? Fucking awesome weird adventure, kicks should love it. I read it to my 7 year old niece.
>>
>>7592369
Get him started on the Greeks as early as possible.
>>
anything Shel Silverstein. Those poetry books are great
>>
>>7592369
>had you have read to you

ouch.
>>
>>7592369
You might like Die Rote Zora by Kurt Held(don't know the English title), something by Cornelia Funke, ronnia the robbersdaughter, the 13 and a half lives of captain bluebear, and in a couple of years maybe the world of Sophie by jostein gaarder.
>>
Infinite Jest
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.