[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anyone here read on a phone? particulary the large phones like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (125KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
125KB, 640x480px
anyone here read on a phone? particulary the large phones like 6s plus and galaxt note, is the experience aids or is it somewhat tolerable?
>>
>>7592222
I have a 6s plus and it's okay for short reading. I mainly use it for the digital editions of The New Yorker to read the online stuff and various other news sources. It's decent size, but I wouldn't want to read anything of great length on it.

>tfw no pen in hand to write with on a phone
;_;
>>
>>7592222
I often read on my 5" phone. It isn't ideal but I always have a bunch of books in my hand. I have a kindle too but my phone gets more reading use.
>>
I tried using my iPhone 6 for reading.

It's fucking terrible, I don't see how anyone can read on an electronic device, even if the screen is bigger.
>>
>>7592320

dunno about phones, but i read 1Q84 on an iPad, wasn't all that bad.
>>
I do, but it's so damn bright, even i read white-on-black. Seriously causes eyestrain, that's why i'm getting an e-book reader.
>>
>>7592562
Doesn't your phone have brightness settings?
>>
>>7592572
yes, it's turned to the lowest of course.
>>
>>7592600
There id a night option in the google books app wich turns it into a nice orange
I read on my s6 and i font bother with physical books anymore.
I even turned down and ebook this xñchrismasss
>>
>>7592222
yes, in my tiny 4" screen phone.

I hate it, but I will do it again because I am poor.
>>
>>7592562
Can't you get something like Flux for phones?
>>
I sometimes read encyclopaedia articles and stuff on my phone because I don't have my e-reader with my every time I have to wait around, but otherwise it's e-ink when I can.
>>
>>7592562
If you have an iPhone, you should jailbreak it (there's no reason for you not to anyway) and get flux.
>>
File: 20160116062213.jpg (95KB, 480x800px) Image search: [Google]
20160116062213.jpg
95KB, 480x800px
>>7592618
well, it isn't really hard to read in this, but I hate it.
>>
>>7592320
Kindles are actually pretty damn easy to read on, something about the special light in the screen or something. All I know is it doesn't strain my eyes like reading a monitor or phone, and I can have a lamp on and the glare doesn't go weird. I have a "Voyage" if that's relevant; gift from the wife.
>>
>>7592562
>>7592624
>>7592635

Just have to wait a bit, in the next iOS update there will be flux like feature made by apple
>>
>>7592669
Kindles don't have screens in the normal sense of the word. An e-ink page is an actual page with actual ink, just one that can magically change.

And yes, it's front lit instead of back lit so that you don't have a lightsource shining directly into your eyes.
>>
>>7592675
I didn't know that really, I'm not great with technology. Can you explain what

>An e-ink page is an actual page with actual ink, just one that can magically change.

means? Like it's just a special screen isn't it? There's not literally ink? What makes it different from my monitor or phone? I can tell it's very different but I don't quite understand the why. The "front lit" thing makes sense though.
>>
I currently have a quite strict reading schedule. I wake up, dress up and read the news on my computer while drinking coffee. Then I bring a book to read in the train, approximately one and a half hour morning and evening. I use my iPhone 6S to go again through the news during the lunch, and I don't use it to do anything else. In the evening, I still read for at least an hour before going to bed.
>>
I use moon+ reader on my android phone. Its actually nice. You can adjust brightness and there is a lot of color schemes that you can choose from which your eyes can agree
>>
>>7592683
normal screens make light, e-ink screen reflect light

(it isn't the real answer, but it is the easiest way tom explain it)

so, like >>7592675 says, it is (like) paper
>>
>>7592222
Read on my Galaxy on the bus, sitting or standing works fine. Recently finished Studies in Pessimism. Also sometimes read the university stuff I need for the lectures on the day. Only problem I have is that sometimes I accidentally go to the next page when I really wanted to scroll down(press on either of the screen to go to another page). It doesn't beat a physical book, but it's alright for what it is. Unless you have eye problems then I guess you might struggle and it would be AIDS.
>>
What's the best e-reader for Android? I have EBookDroid but don't like it due to the bright blue lights
>>
>>7592222
nice triples
also
>aids
frenchfag?
>>
I don't know, I don't think I could read anything remotely related to literature on a screen. I still happen to go through the news mainly on my computer in ther morning and on my iPhone 6S in the day, which besides would be useless. It's more a choice of convenience because a phone can be freely taken anywhere, is smaller than a newspaper and has a lot of interesting features (searching on Google, adjusting the font size, getting decent illustrations and so on) yet I wouldn't read a novel like that and I still carry on a book wherever I go. Usually I read while taking the train to work.
>>
>>7592222
Yes, all the time and I get no eye strain.

You can turn the brightness down in fbreader.

Phone - LG g4
>>
To me it's just as good if not better to read casually than print.

>can read in the dark
>can read lying down
>highlighting is easy
>>
>>7592683
It uses pixels consisting of 'ink' that can change state if they get an electric charge: it turns black or white. Incidentally, that also means that it only uses electricity when the screen refreshes (when you flip a page for example), and that's why e-readers are incredibly efficient.
>>
I have a ton of downloaded epub/mobi files that work flawlessly through calibre. Thinking of repairing the screen on my T100 tablet for on the go reading, BUT, I think I may also spring for a kindle.

Can I use epub/mobi files on the kindle as easy as drag and drop, or do I have to go through the hassle of formatting and using a software suite (Ala itunes).
>>
I can tolerate reading novellas on a phone.
>>
>>7593326
kobo mate

go with the Aura H20 as its 6.8 inches instead of the regular 6. Much better reading experience - though I'm going to get 7-9 would be the perfect sized screen
>>
>>7593574
Still not sure on losing space to a dedicated device (is why I'll probably repair my T100 and still have it for browsing/vids/music).

How's the battery life and ease of use?
>>
I have a lumia 926. Amoled screen, which means that when there's black the little leds don't turn on at all (or do so at the bare minimum.) Saves battery, and makes it efficient for reading with a white-on-black theme.

Problem is that all readers I've tried so far suck. Android has moonreader which is amazing. On the windows store the "best" I've found is fbreader, which is alright, but can't load epubs from the phone storage (neither does any other free app, btw), you have to upload your ebooks to a onedrive account, sign in from the app, and download them from there. Bit of a hassle.
>>
I've read on an ipad, my phone (nexus 6) and currently have an ereader.
They all work fine but for more than a few minutes I do prefer the ereader a lot.
My problem with the ipad (old one) was that it is heavy, with the phone is that the format is too wide or too long (since they are in widescreen format) so paragraphs/sentences are broken and the flow isn't as nice.

Love my Kobo aura, it's perfect.
>400+ library ready at any time
>dat battery life because ereader
>illuminated screen, great against reflections and night/indoor reading
>>
In the market for a new e-reader atm, kobo or kindle?
>>
>>7594564
get an iphone 6s plus then u got ur books music and texts all in ur pocket
>>
shit op i read books on my tiny little iphone 5s and it's fine, ibooks just reformats the text to look good no matter ur page or lighting, plus the next version of ios (9.3) has nightshift mode too for comfier readings, bought to cop a 6s plus in a minute tho so i can read even more
>>
I read basically the entirety of Pratchett through an HTC One for the first half, and a Note 3 for the second.

Superb. Perfect for the bus.
>>
The only book ever ever completely read on my phone was The Maimed. I didn't really enjoy it.
>>
>>7592222
my dad. i think its...literally why do this.
maybe id do it if i had a bigger phone, but screen on 5s aint that big
>>
>>7594577
see i also have a 5s but the battery on those models as well as 5 is a piece of shit and if i read on it and check out something online it lasts 3 hours tops.
been thinking about buying ipad air 2 to read, but i also need to write my screenplays so i'll buy a laptop
>>
>>7594624
>battery lasts three ours

tha fuck kind of shit do u have installed in ur phone? a billion trendy social media apps constantly pinging some server? my 5s lasts all day
>>
>>7594635
i do as a matter of fact because i live in 2016 and i got that phone to use its potential. otherwise id buy the old flip phone with battery to last me a week.

next paragraph. i'll turn my cellular and wifi when i read but it still doesnt last too long. its old battery and i might replace it
otherwise its a flawless phone that is responsive as the day i bought it
>>
>>7594597
>poorfag who never used ibooks on ios

what do u think ibooks does brah? you think kindle is the only shit that has pages that turn? hell Preview on the make is the raddest pdf reader of all time because 1) it looks gorgeous as shit on a retina but more importantly 2) when you use a touch page you swipe the pages like a book, sooo comfy....but back to portable, of course ibooks have pages, but better than kindle iphone is backlit so u can turn off all the lights and get comfy in bed and read in the dark, reading by the fire might have been comfy but reading iphone in the dark wrapped in blanket is 21st century future comfy bro
>>
>>7594654
ok i feel you....you gonna cop the 5E when it drops in March? shits 5S sized but better cpu and bigger storage, same cheap ass developing world targeting price
>>
>>7594664
call me pleb but not once i had a need for better cpu on 5s and its really likely i wont for two more years literally. if i fix the battery im good
otherwise definitely because the size of it is perfect and im not going for any bigger smartphone in the future ever

sure i wished it was bigger for reading, but tablets are the solution for that. design of 6+ wouldnt help me, it would still be small and not quite sufficient
>>
>>7594686
yeah i like the 5S size but they aren't updating the camera in the 5E so i'm gonna go 6S at least plus probably go 128GB so i can load up on itunes u classes with worried about going on data by accident
>>
>>7594692
that must be comfy. im not that rich though, 128 is mad expensive 4 me still. im still trying to decide how could ipad air 2 help me. for things such as reading, music, streaming classes and docs seems great but then again i cant take pics without looking like a moron and its still not true OS
>>
I have an HTC One and I read most stuff on my phone, honestly. I mostly read in bed with my glasses off and I can rest my face on my pillow and use my good left eye to see the screen and the words.

I like it well enough.
>>
Trashy garbage literature = e readers
PDFs and other colorful spreads = Tab S2
Patricians choice = Tab A
>>
>>7592222
I read a lot in my phone. I found that the size mattered very little. I had an small xperia ray, have an xperia Z now, didn't change a thing.
The brightness is very important : it has to be the lowest possible for your environnement.
Black on white is the worst way to read, it is the most tiring. White on black it better, red on black is the best.
The most comfortable way is in the complete darkness in the bed. The phone is very small and you have no move to do to turn a page. Set at the lowest brightness, the eyes receive dozen times less light than if you are reading a regular book in a normally lightened room.

I read half my books in my phone. I usually have a soft read in the phone (that can be read by short slices of time, with music, etc.) and a hard read at home (that require silence etc.).
When I have to wait for any reason (bus, doctor, interview etc.) I just take my phone and read.
>>
>>7594572
Please be b8
>>
>>7592222

Nice quads.

I read on my phone all the time, I find the experience pleasurable, it's kinda nice having an entire library of literature in my pocket.
>>
i don't get you guys. maybe it's because i'm old and grew up using desktops but i don't like using my phone for anything but calls or texts. sometimes i use the internet browser or maps on it for work related stuff, or looking something up real quick, but things like reading, browsing 4chan, playing games just doesn't feel good to me.
>>
>>7596410
aww what's the matter your fraudulent disability check not big enough to afford one? poor baby, get a job
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-18-09-54-34.png (429KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-18-09-54-34.png
429KB, 720x1280px
I'm an Indonesian, I can't english pretty well, I read recognitions and infinite jest alright, I can blend in literature? I am here hagag so tell me, am I lit yet? What to go from here? Btw I use colordict too hahag, I heard winds today in the morning rushing toward long and short stems mesmerized by the hauling green leaves whose sheer of rustling nearly beating the air in its coloring paradox of greens, sometimes brown but not wither, so tell me, am I lit yet? Haghsg
>>
>>7597765

was this a passage from IJ?
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.