[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How good is a tale of two cities? Is it something I need to read

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: tale-of-two-cities-book-cover.jpg (71KB, 510x680px) Image search: [Google]
tale-of-two-cities-book-cover.jpg
71KB, 510x680px
How good is a tale of two cities? Is it something I need to read before I die.

I'm getting through crime and punishment, and planning on war and peace next. Should I pick up a tale of two cities as well?
>>
>>7591754
>Is it something I need to read before I die.

Yes, no question. Read it asap
>>
>>7591754
Nah man, there's no need for you to read one of the most popular and critically acclaimed novels of all time.
>>
>>7591764
Yeah I get that I'm just not sure how many more tomes I can take.
>>
>>7591771
You have all the time in the world, there's no need to rush, as long as you end up reading the books.
>>
>>7591763
How is Dickens prose? Does he take a realist approach, is he more concerned with story than characters, and what ever other qualities you care to elaborate on.
>>
>>7591771

Read something small and light in between if 19th century realist doorstoppers are wearing you out.
>>
>>7591781
Yeah I read that "Revenant" book in between reading crime and punishment, I don't have any light reading on my to-read list, currently.
>>
>>7591785
Is it any good?
>>
>>7591787
The survival bits of the book were intriguing. The author's writing wasn't anything to write home about, but it served it's purpose in passing along the tale. Overall it was okay, with a somewhat satisfying ending.
>>
>>7591754
Dramatic. It's nothing that will, in my opinion, expand you as a person. Take it or leave it. Try some Camus instead IMO
>>
>>7591799
I've read the stranger and parts of the plague, but I put it down. Not sure, if I want to pick up Camus again.
>>
>>7591779
Dickens in my humble opinion is one of the finest English novelists and A Tale of Two Cities is a great light read, he is not a realist but his prose is some of the finest, he's my favorite next to Milton, Melville, and Joyce. Not to be a memer but there's a reason the majority of his works are in Blooms canon and Nabokov's praise.
>>
>>7591803
Not Camus in general, just authors that include 'larger' ideas in general. That's something that Dickens lacks IMO. A tale of two cities really is just historical fiction. Which can be fun if you're interested in that sort of thing. But if that's the case than I recommend 'I, Claudius', by Robert Graves.
>>
What is with this board's obsession with cuck books?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.