[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I stop subvocalizing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

How do I stop subvocalizing?
>>
Scream internally.
>>
practice
>>
scream externally
>>
Practice
>>
>>7589385

Subvocalization is not a meme
>>
fake it till you make it
>>
>>7589385
Dispose of everything you ever learned when you were a kid, because you were obviously brought up completely wrong and need so start from scratch. But it's going to be very difficult and it might just be easier killing yourself.
>>
Practice screaming Internally
>>
meme internally
>>
>>7589385
Don't.
>>
>>7589385
Read more and it will come naturally.
>>
Just keep reading mate. It's what I did and I only fall back into it in the most difficult passages.
>>
>>7589385
alot of people don't realize but screaming internally is the most efficient exercise you can perform to stop subvocalizing. i recommend focusing on screaming internally anywhere from 10-12 hours a day,
>>
Of all the lit memes this is the worst
>>
>>7589390
>>7589401
>>7589419
>>7589461
>>7590303
I can't scream internally.. my soul is a dark, boundless void... no one will hear a thing
>>
Chew gum while you read.
>>
stop using Pynchon as an icon of turning the nose up at subvocalization
his work especially is meant to be subvocalized
>>
>>7589385

Don't. What marks you out as a good or a bad reader is not your speed, it's what you get out of what you read. Words are not just ideas, they are sounds too, and those sounds play a big part in the music of the language. Not to mention the beat, prosody and rhythm which you'll miss if you speed read. If you've understood the idea of what is happening, but not got a sense of the texture of the writing, then you've missed the part of it that makes it art.

I don't know if speed readers get as much out of a text as subvocalisers do, but it would greatly surprise me. Imagine speed reading Paradise Lost. What would be the point? Especially with poetry, people should strive to read slower, not faster -- even aloud, if desired -- since it gives an opportunity actually to reflect on and relate to what they're reading. Quality > quantity.
>>
>>7591493

Why do subvocalizers care so much about "the music of words" or shit like that. You know actual music is much better music than words are, right?
>>
Apply destruction to ear drums and vocal cords.
>>
>>7592014
10/10 post
>>
>tfw because of this meme we will have redditors going around thinking subvocalizing is bad and we will have a new generation of pseudo-elitist nerds going around spouting this shit
>>
>>7591507
So you don't care about prose or poetry just because there is music?
>>
>>7591507
Just wondering, why are you on /lit/? Continue to stupidify yourself and go listen to rap or something.
>>
How can I stop subvocalizing while I speak?
>>
By vocalising.
>>
Imagine the sound of an egregious cock slamming, this is how you must read, with the thunderous screaming of phallic violence cumming across the sky of your membranes. There can be no step or attunement or consequence in the action, the reading must be an action in and of itself decisively beastial.

Bang bang pump out the words in your head without thought or reading but being.
>>
>>7591507
You're not listening to music while you're reading, are you?
>>
Haha, I can't even subvocalize, I have to read aloud.
>>
>>7591507
For me, a big part of reading comes from the beauty of words and the way they are organized, I think I first vividly felt this while reading Shakespeare, quotes like "hell is empty and all the devils are here" or "i am in blood so far steeped..." are both very beautiful in the image they evoke and the iambic rhythm to them.
I actually tried speed-reading the first chapter of Brave New World with spreeder. I had a general understanding of the plot and I'd lose concentration when a word I didn't know came up, or acronyms, I think. But I realized speed reading didn't come with what I actually enjoyed about reading, nor did it allow me to process and engage with the work I'm reading. Questions you would ask yourself like authors intentions, characters intentions, whatever you can imagine when you try to dialogue with fiction.

In any case, an exercise in speed reading could be fun if you have an exam and need to review your textbook or whatever, but I wouldn't use it otherwise.
>>
what is wrong with subvocalizing. Helps me retain what I read better
>>
File: tumblr_ll57usiaUF1qzj8r6_large.gif (437KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ll57usiaUF1qzj8r6_large.gif
437KB, 384x288px
>>
File: 1435950932244.png (21KB, 258x310px) Image search: [Google]
1435950932244.png
21KB, 258x310px
>reading book (Crime and Punishment if you want to know)
>suddenly, without even trying to do it, stop subvocalizing
>cumbersome auditory processes in my brain are gone
>ideas of the book are entering my head with greatest lucidity and efficiency
>feels like playing a beautiful piece of music flawlessly, or flying in a dream
>feel for the first time that I'm truly understanding literature
>look at clock, realize I've read 20 pages in just a few minutes
>go back to book, try to read without subvocalizing again
>tfw no matter how hard I try, can't do it

My brain giveth and my brain taketh away. How do I make it give me this ability again? It felt so sweet.
>>
>>7594463
this is a glorious lie
>>
Sub vocalizing is pretty natural

I was born completely mute and learned sign language before English. I still sometimes subvocalize

How to stop it tho? Give yourself a passage to read in 60 seconds.

Now read it again in 30 seconds

Keep lowering your time until you aren't sub vocalizing. Change passages somewhat frequently
>>
>>7594614
This is definitely a stupid question, but what is supposed to happen when you don't subvocalize?
I try to do it and just look at the words but after I finish a page I realize that I did not take in any of it.
I tried to imagine what was happening so the book was like a movie in my mind, but this made me go slower than when I subvocalize.

People say to look at the word and take in the meaning rather than say it, but I have no idea what that is suppose to mean
>>
>>7594668
I don't know, you just sort of understand what was written without hearing anything
>>
>boys make the best kind of children

and

>
>>
Read slightly faster than you are comfortable with, repeat.
>>
>>7591507
9/10 shitpost
>>
The more important question is how to remember better from reading .
>>
>>7595203
Subvocalizing, slowing down, engaging in the material, asking questions, answering them, annotate and take notes if you actually must remember.
>>
>>7595203
Is your dick out? You read better with your dick out.
>>
jeez what the flying fuck does Pynchon have to do with subvocalizing? You newfags I swear this place is going down the shitter these days.
>>
>>7589385
I focus on the sound of my breathing, as though I am sub-vocalizing the sound, while I read and that seems to work well.
>>
File: Wilhelm_Reich.jpg (14KB, 229x346px) Image search: [Google]
Wilhelm_Reich.jpg
14KB, 229x346px
orgasming always gets my breath under control OP
heres the book that help
>>7589385
ed me do it
>>
>>7594299
I am, why not?
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.