[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where were you when it happened? How did you find out?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: dfwpic.jpg (357KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
dfwpic.jpg
357KB, 750x500px
Where were you when it happened?

How did you find out?
>>
Tell me about DFW. Why does he wear the bandanna?
>>
File: voiceofourgeneration.png (458KB, 569x595px) Image search: [Google]
voiceofourgeneration.png
458KB, 569x595px
I scowling at irony when Ma come in.

"DFW is kill" she say.

"no" I am reply.

"yes." she say.

I cry.
>>
My story: I was browsing SomethingAwful's General Bullshit board, which in 2008 was all serious news stories. I'd never heard of David Foster Wallace. I clicked the thread and saw a black-and-white photo of a chubby guy with long hair standing in a cornfield. I read that this guy was a writer and he'd hanged himself. I thought I knew literature pretty well, so I figured from the photo and from the description of his work that he was a genre writer, a sci-fi guy I wouldn't have heard of. I read some of the replies. One comment sticks in my memory: "I wonder how long and pretentious his suicide note was." And then I didn't think about Wallace for a few days until I saw The New Yorker was covering his death. Then I began to think that maybe he was actually a good writer. I started to look into him more, and then the article by David Lipsky was in the Rolling Stone that back then would get inexplicably delivered to my house even though I didn't subscribe to Rolling Stone, and that article inspired me to start buying his books. And that's it.
>>
I was in Elementary School I think.

You old fuckers.
>>
>>7587360
I was in high school in 2008 and I'm only 21
You're just young, kid
>>
>>7587325
On /lit/. Last summer
>>
>>7587325
was hanging out with some law school friends and professors drinking, hanging out, cooking. one of us got a text and told the group. we were all pretty sad.
>>
>>7587424
underrated multi-level post
>>
I was probably having sex with a woman you virgins.

I like to have CNN on when doing the dirty diddle
>>
>>7587424
annular
>>
I didn't even know who he was, and if I did I wouldn't have cared.
>>
>>7587496
please dont use that word
>>
on MSN with a friend after school
>>
>>7588195
sad?
>>
>>7587352
Damn, ain't that somethin
>>
>>7588198
do you fucking vaporwave assholes have to include yourselves in everything?
>>
apology for poor write

wen were u wen dfw dies?
i was sat at park reading blindness stepping on blind guy poo wen friend rang "jest is kill"

-no

and uuuu?????????????
>>
>>7587496
>lawyers
>pretending to feel emotions.
Don't lie to the boy Margaret.
>>
>>7589498
and me?

i was hum. but no jest.

sup or inf??? it k haha
>>
>>7589498
Lyle?
>>
>>7589546
no
>>
>>7587342
*wardine b crAi
>>
>>7587325
Saw it in USA Today at a motel when I was in high school. I had no idea who he was and didn't investigate further but the story and picture of him resurfaced as I was applying to Pomona so I read him.
>>
I was in my house minding my business when I get a call.
"I know you were close and I don't know if someone told you already but David Wallace is dead."
" N..No it's probably just some College prank."
I go on Google and type David Foster Wallace and see the news report of his suicide. I reflect for a few seconds then rummage through my closet to find old tapes I had recorded when hired by Rolling Stone to interview the man himself.
>>
>>7589764
Lol, lipsky was a cuck.
>>
Amherst College. I had class the next morning with an old professor of his who was pretty devastated.
>>
>>7589886
Amherst is for queers and steers, and you don't look like no cow.
>>
>>7587325
I was 12 at the time
>>
>>7587352
>I saw The New Yorker was covering his death. Then I began to think that maybe he was actually a good writer
holy shit you're a huge pleb
>>
>>7589516
are you trying to meme me?
>>
>>7587336
Tennis sweat
>>
>>7590922
Are you trying to re-me me?
>>
Just watched his speech for graduates "this is water" a couple days ago, then today I was listening to Maron's podcast and he was interviewing Jason Segal about the movie, watched it today. Any specific books by him I should read? is his work depressing or mind opening like "this is water"?
>>
>>7591946
>mind opening
KEK
>>
>>7591946
You should read the book called "Infinite Jest"
>>
File: consider the lobster.jpg (22KB, 333x499px) Image search: [Google]
consider the lobster.jpg
22KB, 333x499px
>>7591946
This is water is one of his best works. Even though it's a speech, it reads like a mix between an academic essay and a heartfelt letter which I'm sure is what his intention was. I'd say the closest thing to that speech is his essay "Consider the Lobster." The essay is about lobsters but it's also about ethics, consciousness, and the nature of life. It's difficult, but it's rewarding and one hell of a read. Happy reading, friend! :)
>>
>>7591961
thanks man!
>>
>>7590110
Hello Reddit!
>>
>>7587336
He feels like his head is gonna explode at any moment. Watch out!
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.