[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
Looking for a Word
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20151122_171954.jpg (538 KB, 3264x2448) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
IMG_20151122_171954.jpg
538 KB, 3264x2448
Basically loneliness but while being surrounded by people. The feeling you get when you're depressed and even if you're at a night out with some friends you feel alone. Or even in the more broad sense of being by yourself in a crowded city. Perhaps looking out from your balcony and watching people go by. I don't know the word for this emotion. Particularly one without any kind of negative association. Like a serene kind of loneliness.
>>
The word your'e looking for is German, "Tumannij├╝den."
>>
The word you're looking for is African, "Jumanji."
>>
The word you're looking for is in Dutch, "kontvingeren"
>>
ennui
>>
The word you're looking for is English, "Alienation."
>>
>>7587038
no.
>>
>>7586985
Boredom, ennui, melancholy... I can think of these.
>>
Emptiness?
>>
Yeah, I know what you mean... an "Infinite Jest" sort of feeling. DFW captured it well.
>>
>>7587063
I think that's more the feeling of when you're surrounded by talent and feeling lonely.
>>
>>7587040
I still feels like that carries too much negative weight though.

>>7587055
No, not like that. Just the state of being alone in a crowd not of boredom.

The best example I suppose I could give would be from the song "Summer Nights" by Esprit. It does a good job of providing this feeling.
>>
>>7587080
Ah. I see. Ok. So the word you're looking for is loneliness.
>>
Preoccupied is a good down-to-earth word but you seem like you're looking for something more ethereal ... of course, depression is simply a sort of introverted preoccupation. A downward spiral of introspection.

But I don't think you want the word preoccupation. "Like a serene kind of loneliness" sounds like nostalgia, not in the sense of 'nostalgic' but when someone is entirely taken over by a vision to the past. However, nostalgia does imply an object of the nostalgic feeling, so it's not right either.
>>
>>7586985
distanced?
>>
>>7587094
But more neutral. I don't think loneliness would be apt for the specific situation of feeling alone in a crowd either.

>>7587096
Exactly.
>>
>>7587113
removed? assuming you want the adj. removedness otherwise. calm removedness would be serenity i guess
>>
>>7587121
lol adverb (adv) i mean ha ha
>>
>>7587113
I considered that and isolated but distance felt more like an emotional connection than a physical one and isolated felt to clinical.
>>
>>7587128
Actually thinking on it if I were to define the word I'm looking for "a state of willful isolation even in an otherwise crowded environment." Perhaps with a happy-ish connotation.
>>
>>7587135
that is the very definition of seclusion and if you tell me seclusion has a negative connotation to it i'm going to call you a feelsfag.
>>
File: cc.jpg (78 KB, 760x1015) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
cc.jpg
78 KB, 760x1015
>>7587077
>>
Can you all stop entertaining this fag?

This word doesn't exist.

Op has never heard or seen it

Op just wants to distill the feels from >>7587080 some gay song into one word.

For no reason.

Dumbest thread ever.
>>
>>7587140
I feel like that's the most accurate but I feel like I generally prescribe that to situations involving someone who is actually alone both in body and mind.

>>7587145
Or ur a cunt m8. Some of us actually do write, you know?
>>
It's the blues, dawg. You have the blues.
>>
Seclusion?
>>
>>7587157
You don't need a single word fuckface.

If you were a writer you'd know this: if your meaning doesn't fit in one word, use two

Idiot
>>
>>7587170
Pls keep posting so I can add your posts to an anthology - "Dumb Shit" by You.

>>7587160
Like I said seclusion seems to me more related to physical separation rather than mental or emotional.

>>7587158
Not in a sad way.
>>
>>7587180
Everyone with eyes can see I'm right you stupid motherfucker, getting butthurt just proves I'm on target. The resistance of your anus makes my penis harder
>>
Sehnsucht?
>>
>>7587206
Perhaps but not sure if I could apply it properly.
>>
>>7586985
I believe the term you're looking for is special-snowflake
>>
>>7587213
That's as close as I get, pal. If you find a better one make sure to post it here.
>>
>>7586985

ENNUI
N
N
U
I
>>
Pathos
Mono no Aware (not a word but a phrase---close enough either way)
Monachopsis
>>
File: feelsweirdman.png (28 KB, 158x143) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
feelsweirdman.png
28 KB, 158x143
>>7587314
>Monachopsis
niiiiiiiice
>>
>>7587008
Being surrounded by tumannij├╝den would make anyone depressed.
>>
>>7587145
Ironically, the word he is searching for is "faggot."
>>
OP, the word is loneliness. You can be lonely in a crowd.

I think you've gotten mixed up between loneliness and solitude.
>>
>>7587135
solitude
>>
File: DFW.jpg (48 KB, 1920x201) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
DFW.jpg
48 KB, 1920x201
>>7587486
No.

Solitude is "the state or situation of being alone", loneliness implies a sort of melancholy and detachment from others which can be felt in the presence of others, and when you're alone.
>>
>>7587504
>DFW

please
>>
>>7587029
Yes this is correct
>>
Existential loneliness.
>>
>>7587015
underrated post
>>
>>7586985

I'm going to second alienation as the closest one I can think of.

>>7587145

You're awfully sure of yourself, even though you're a giant idiot faggot.

Some of us enjoy eloquence for it's own sake here on this literature board. If that like a strange and alien passion to you, maybe you're not in the right place.
>>
Insulated
>>
Detached
marooned
distracted
secluded
memed
bigguyed
foryou'd
neet
fedoralized
andbutso'ed
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
Thread DB ID: 420025

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.