[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

POWER RANKING R8, H8 Crime and Punishment > Brothers Karamazov

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (49KB, 467x444px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49KB, 467x444px
POWER RANKING

R8, H8

Crime and Punishment > Brothers Karamazov > The Idiot > Demons > The Gambler > The Double
>>
Brothers Karamazov > rest
>>
File: 473952870_229b4c6852.jpg (136KB, 359x500px) Image search: [Google]
473952870_229b4c6852.jpg
136KB, 359x500px
Tolstoy > Dostoevsky=Chekhov
>>
Notes>Demons>Brothers>Idiot>Gambler>Crime
>>
Tolstoy > Dosto
>>
>>7586558
I'm on Book 3 of Demons. I feel like I've done nothing but read long passages of nothing by the dozens, with the occasional character interaction here and there. What do you see in Demons? I really want to like it, but nearly 500 pages in I'm left feeling very cold, as if I'm going to walk away from it with nothing.
>>
>>7586571
>>7586524
I love Dostoyevsky but I'm part way through my first Tolstoy novel (Anna Karenina) and I think I'm probably going to end up agreeing with you guys. The character's actions and descriptions seem more true to life, everyone is Dostoyevsky's books is overdramatic and always weeping or wringing their hands or some other shit, it gets tiresome after a while. I still love his books though
>>
>>7586625
Tolstoy is one of the Big Daddies of literature. Dostoyevsky is still one of the big lads however.
>>
Hadji Murat is one of the greatest books ever written by a Russian
>>
>>7586519

Brothers Karamazov > The Idiot > Crime and Punishment > Notes from Underground > The Gambler > The Double > The Eternal Husband

I've yet to read Demons and The Adolescent, and it will probably be a long time before I do. I just started Anne Karenina a few days ago, and I am adoring it already at only ~150 pages.

>>7586625

Yeah, this kind of. I've oftentimes read Dostoevsky described as one of the greatest psychologist of all time, but Tolstoy seems to be pulling it off better and more naturally.
>>
>>7586524

Tolstoy > Gogol >POWER GAP> Dostoevsky=Chekhov
>>
>tfw only Dostoevsky I've read is Memoirs From the House of the Dead and it never gets discussed
>>
Tolstoy is just a good writer while Dosto is twisted subversive philosopher. He is simply in another league. This comparison is pointless.
>>
Tolstoy vs Dostoevsky is like
Ridley Scott vs Lynch
>>
>>7587389
It's just cuz they both ruskies from the same era
>>
>>7586519

The Brothers Karamazov > Crime and Punishment > 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man' > Demons >
The Gambler > The Double > 'The Christmas Tree and a Wedding' > Notes from the House of the Dead > 'A Gentle Spirit' > 'The Heavenly Christmas Tree' > The Idiot >
Notes from Underground > Netochka Nezvanovna > The Insulted and the Injured > The Village of Stepanchikovo > 'The Uncle's Dream' > 'White Nights' > 'A Faint Heart' > 'The Crocodile' > 'Bobok' > 'A Nasty Anecdote' > 'The Eternal Husband' > 'The Landlady' > 'The Little Hero' >
'Mr. Prokharchin' > 'Polzunkov' > 'The Honest Thief' >
Poor Folk > Novel in Nine Letters > The Adolescent > 'The Jealous Husband'
>>
>>7587404
...that's not too bad actually
>>
Crime and Punishment >The Brother's Karamazov>Notes from Underground>The Idiot>The Gambler>Notes from the House of the Dead>Demons>The Adolescent

All of what I've read.
>>
>>7586519
How can people stand demons?
It may be because I grew up with Dutch, but is not a particular interesting representation of a pseudo intellectual struggle. Maybe it because I don't like the dense Russian politics.

A list of books that do the concept better in my opinion.

Beyond Sleep - Willem Frederik Hermans
The Evenings - Gerard Reve
Soft Soap / Cheese - Willem Elsschot (personal favorite)

Hell, even Pnin and Catcher in the Rye did the theme better in my opinion
>>
>>7586519
R8: poor
Brothers Karamazov > Demons > Crime and Punishment > The Double > The Idiot > The Gambler.
>>
>>7586519

1. Brothers K
2. Demons
3. Crime and Punishment
4. the idiot
5. Gambler
>>
>>7586723
>brothers karamazov > the idiot > crime and punishment > notes from underground

this is objectively correct, but i would stick house of the dead between c&p and notes. you should read it if you havent
>>
honestly, anyone who doesnt have brothers k first: literally how?

just burn your copies of his books and never speak his name again
>>
>>7588154
But brothers k doesn't get as in depth into the character's minds. It's all about what you prefer in your reading experience
>>
>>7586519

Notes>Crime>Demons>Glambler>Brothers>Double>The Idiot
>>
>>7587389
Yeah dude how can you compare things that aren't exactly the same :^)

P.S both were philosophers you silly billy

>>7587404
No it's not.
>>
>>7587417
Nice ranking. Have you actually read all his works?
>>
>>7588348

I haven't read his Writer's Diary yet, but I've read all of his fiction.
>>
Brothers Karamazov > The Idiot > White nights > Notes form Underground > Crime and Punishment > Humiliated and Insulted > A Writer's Diary (considering also A Gentle Creature and The Dream of a Ridiculous Man) > The Double > Demons >The Gambler
All of what I've read.
>>
Aglaia from the Idiot is my literary waifu
>>
>>7586519
Alongside Verne's From Earth to the Moon, Demons looks to be one of the most boring books i didnt finish.
>>
>>7590165
>not Vera Lebedev

Aglaya is almost as insufferable as Natasya Fillipovna
>>
>>7586519
where's the best work?
>>
>>7590211
Father Sergius
>>
>>7590201
yes, but in her case it's adorable
>>
>>7590554
I couldn't put up with that shit
>>
>>7586519
the double was aight
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.