[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When to tackle the holy GOAT? What to read beforehand?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: mimesis.gif (66KB, 300x482px) Image search: [Google]
mimesis.gif
66KB, 300x482px
When to tackle the holy GOAT?
What to read beforehand?
>>
START
>>
>>7583929
Elaborate on your comment "START"
>>
These are the very rough essentials imo. There's more but it all depends on how much you want to read beforehand I guess
Old Testament
The Iliad
Beowulf, Song of Roland, etc.
Don Quixote
A good chunk of Shakespeare
Dostoyevsky
Flaubert
Stendhal
Proust
Joyce
>>
>>7583948
I want to read a lot before hand. Its the holy GOAT after all, I want to appreciate it to the fullest.
>>
>>7583948
What about other books of literary theory?
>>
>>7583926
Just start reading it. Seriously, one of the reasons it's one of the most approachable texts of literary criticism ever is because Auerbach more or less quotes every section of a text that he's talking about. And the whole point of his argument is that it moves from text to text sequentially and historically. So it's pretty self-executing in terms of how the book works.

A familiarity with works is useful because it allows you to judge the broader import of what he's saying. You'll certainly get more out of it. But IMO absolutely the best way to get into it is to just jump in.

Also I am kind of weirded out but glad to see that this has now gotten a genuine reputation on /lit/, lol
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.