[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are you familiar with the works of Morimi Tomihiko? Have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: 四畳半神話大系.jpg (245KB, 1000x1483px) Image search: [Google]
四畳半神話大系.jpg
245KB, 1000x1483px
Are you familiar with the works of Morimi Tomihiko?

Have you read any of them?
>>
No, but the anime was fucking dope.
>>
So Tatami was basically, 'What, if some day or night a demon were to steal after you into your loneliest loneliness and say to you: 'This life as you now live it and have lived it, you will have to live once more and innumerable times more' ... Would you not throw yourself down and gnash your teeth and curse the demon who spoke thus? Or have you once experienced a tremendous moment when you would have answered him: 'You are a god and never have I heard anything more divine.'?
>>
File: fc0df02ea15c71a1529dd9dd76d7b2fc.jpg (272KB, 800x1140px) Image search: [Google]
fc0df02ea15c71a1529dd9dd76d7b2fc.jpg
272KB, 800x1140px
>>7583914
You got it.

A simple story done well. Same with Ping Pong.
>>
I can only imagine that this is a case where the adaptation is superior to the source material.
>>
>>7583815

Are either Tatami Galaxy or Uchouten Kazouku going to be translated into English? I'd love to read both.
>>
>>7583914

Tatami had variation IIRC, which is not included in Nietzsche's aphorism.
>>
>>7584261
Why not 夜は短し、歩けよ乙女? It's also good.

Also no, I don't think they'll be translated.
>>
This is the only anime I could consider art
>>
Weebs need to die
>>
>>7584470
>like serious Japanese literature
>weeb

Allow me to remind you that in Japan literature is very strictly divided into "serious" and then "light novels etc." and Morimi Tomihiko's works are firmly in the "serious" bracket and always was. Some writers can graduate from LNs to serious literature, but Morimi was a serious writer from the start.
>>
>>7584499
> allow me to remind you the books I read are "serious". I am only into "serious" things, therefore you should take me "seriously"
>>
>>7584581
No friend, that's not what I'm saying. Just that Morimi is serious Japanese literature, which can be hardly considered weeb.

You don't need to lash out at me because of your lack of knowledge about Japanese literary scene.
>>
>>7584499
>>7584590
No, he basically writes light novels, or at least what we would call pop/genre fiction. It might be decent genre fiction (as he's won a few famous genre fic awards: Japan Fantasy Novel Award, Nihon SF Taisho Award, Yamamoto Shugoro Prize), but he's not some particularly highly-regarded writer in Japan. The only reason you know about him is because of the anime.
>>
>>7584726
>>7584470
>>7584499
>>7584581
This is interesting. A reflection of the American genre divide on a culture that doesn't suffer from it half as much. You're both right. Morimi is weeb in that people who know about him in the west tend to be anime watchers, but at the same time he's not exactly the -monogatari guy - his work is viewed without the kind of negative baggage an American would view "genre fiction" with.
>>
>>7584729
It absolutely does exist in Japan, as there's a very clear distinction between, e.g., literary awards for genre fiction and those for serious fiction. Also consider that most Americans, including those who read, don't even think about whether what they're reading is "genre fiction" or not, so it doesn't exist in America as much as you apparently think.

If you're interested in contemporary/recent Japanese writers who are highly regarded by more educated people, I recommend, for example:

Yoko Tawada
Teru Miyamoto
Yuko Tsushima
Hisaki Matsuura
Mieko Kanai
Tsutomu Mizukami
Naoyuki Ii
Keizo Hino
Nobuo Kojima
Senji Kuroi
Taeko Tomioka
Aiko Kitahara
Hitomi Kanehara
Hiromi Kawakami
Amy Yamada
Yuko Tsushima
Takako Takahashi
Ayako Sono
Yumiko Kurahashi
Taeko Kono
Yoshikichi Furui
Hiroyuki Agawa
Yoko Ogawa
>>
The only Japanese author anyone here is familiar with is Haruki Murakami, OP.
>>
>>7584797
At least pretend to be embarrased or something.
>>
>>7584499
Honestly, I think a threefold categorization here would be more accurate. At the highest end there's "serious literature" (things read and studied in schools), followed by "popular literature" (things read by average people: think Stephen King), and at the bottom "light novels" (things read by nerds: compare to shitty Tolkien-clone fantasy novels). Morimi Tomihiko clearly falls under "popular literature".
>>
>>7584821
Also it's possible for somethign to be in both the category of serious lit and that of pop lit, but it's very unlikely.
>>
>>7584821
Perhaps this is more accurate yes, but I mainly wanted to make clear that Morimi isn't in the lowest one. And when you walk to a Japanese bookstore, you'll just two clear categories.

>>7584729
Nishio Ishin (Monogatari guy) stands between categories. Using the three category system, Okitegami Kyouko or Himeiden are in the popular literature, while Zaregoto or Monogatari are LNs (Monogatari super shamelessly, playing with otaku culture tropes and references is one of its main selling points and Nishio does it well).

Okitegami Kyouko is now very popular, since it got TV drama. You can find it promoted prominetly in bookstores in Japan.
>>
>>7584834
>Okitegami Kyouko or Himeiden are in the popular literature
>Okitegami Kyouko is now very popular, since it got TV drama.
I'd still put these at the bottom, honestly. I'd do the same with Game of Thrones, no matter how popular it is.
>>
>>7584846
Nonetheless you can both see them in the serious literature half of bookstores. I did.
>>
>>7584851
That's because bookstores are stupid.
>>
No but the Tatami Galaxy's anime is beautiful. The show is the most perfect anime I've ever seen and Akashi is the most perfect anime girl I've ever seen. What kind of literature would Akashi read, /lit/?
>>
>>7584729
>he thinks Morimi is "serious" literature
>tries to tell other people they don't understand Japan

weeb go home
>>
>>7584468
Kemonozume was better
>>
>>7584965
I never said it was "serious". Just that the Japanese - or most cultures in general - don't take this genre/literary divide half as seriously as Americans do.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.