[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who else works at a bookstore here? Can't imagine a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 203
Thread images: 15

File: 1452201747922.png (129KB, 724x611px) Image search: [Google]
1452201747922.png
129KB, 724x611px
Who else works at a bookstore here? Can't imagine a comfier experience.
>>
Looking for a summer job at local bookstores now .. only problem is I'm a huge sperg with a very bad resume and very little experience - yipes
>>
>>7581780
i wish! *giggles*
>>
I'd love to but a locally owned one, not a Barnes and noble or something similar. Any good stories OP?
>>
>>7581832
Someone came in once and asked if we had a book and we didn't have it and I was like 0_o
>>
Anyone here ever work at a B&N? I would like to give it a shot. Apparently management is shitty at a lot of them and they're very understaffed and a lot of workers on the floor end up in the cafe most of the time. Plus aren't a lot of locations folding?
>>
I want to open my very own hipster book store
>>
I own my own book and fishing supplies store.

Books & Hooks.
>>
>>7581780
Is selling puzzles and Pokemon cards actually that comfy?
>>
>>7582054

Yeah, I imagine working at a book store would 80% be selling YA to adults who swear it's for their kids, and 10% cleaning bodily fluids off books, and 10% listening to some hipster faggot talk to you for a half hour about what kind of tea he likes, then not buying anything.
>>
>>7582067
probably worse as a librarian
>>
>>7581845
Do you get fired for that?
>>
I did, it was shit.
>>
>>7581780
What's it like?

I'm not trying to be NEET forever, and working at a bookstore seems like one of the only acceptable places for me to work. How important is your knowledge of literature to your job?
>>
How do you catch shoplifters?
There are only two bookstores in my city but they are too expensive, and I've been thinking of getting those volumes of 'In search of lost time' one at a time.

Also, there are some novellas I want to get but are expensive as fuck.
>>
>comfier experience

Not making minimum wage?
>>
>>7582220
Why?
>>
>>7582269
Mainly incompetent management and business practices.

The work itself had its ups and downs, one day you may have someone that would come in and talk literature and philosophy for hours, other days you stood around because no one needed help.

Oh, and the pay is terrible.
>>
I don't know about bookstore, but I'd love to work in a library. I looked up what you'd need to qualify to work in a library and it turns out you need a fucking college degree or some shit.

Why the fuck would I need a degree to work in a library? Do they think people are not smart enough to be able to order books by the author's name?
>>
I work at Foyles in London.
>No I'm not giving you fags a discount

This >>7582067 is hyperbole, of course, but there's a kernel of truth to it. We sell a depressing amount of depressingly bad books. We have most big /lit/-approved literature on the racks because it's been on those racks for a couple of months without anybody buying 'em. Not a lot of hipsters, though, and we have cameras everywhere so people aren't literally cumming all over Pynchon's dank prose, thankfully.

If anyone has other questions, I'll be around for a while.
>>
>>7582291
Have you ever fought off a robber with a book?
>>
>>7582286
You can be a library assistant or a janitor without a degree, but to be an actual librarian you need a Master's in Library Science. Thinking about doing it in Grad school.
>>
>>7582306
Nah, we have security for that. Sometimes there are loonies wandering around on ground floor, but they never seem to realise they can climb the stairs and I usually work on the 2nd floor or up, so I'm fine.
>>
>>7581780
>comfier experience

Until Amazon drives you faggits straight into the ground
>>
>>7582323
Wow, what's the final exam like?

>A proper place to store a book is:
>A. The shelf
>B. A body orifice
>C. A camp fire
>D The Sewer
>>
File: roberto-bolanos-237x300.jpg (18KB, 237x300px) Image search: [Google]
roberto-bolanos-237x300.jpg
18KB, 237x300px
How do you steal books properly?
Do they have any security measures that trigger when leaving the bookstore?
Or can you just walk away with them inside your pants?
>>
>>7582291
What are some of the tasks you find yourself doing throughout the week? I imagine you have to be pretty versatile. How do you feel about your coworkers and the management there? Were you a bit nervous when you started?
>>
>>7582419
The thing you have to keep in mind is that it's still pretty much like any retail shop out there, but with books instead of with clothes or whatever. We fill racks, we take books back to where they're supposed to be (fucking customers always leave books like two floors away from where they found them), we recommend books to interested customers (a rarity, but it happens), we answer idiotic complaints,
>What do you mean I can't change a second-hand book I just bought in Camden for store credit? Is this a book shop or what?
we man the register, we take stock, we haul boxes, etc etc.

I wasn't nervous when I started, but I was pretty stoked to be working in a shop I went to a lot when I studied. That has passed. I get money for doing stuff. Getting to pick a couple of books for staff recommendations was cool, though.
>Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, Infinite Jest, the Bible and Lolita, of course
>Not really though

Everyone who works here is passionate about books, but that includes the girls manning (kek) the esoterics or the cooking section. The literary fiction, foreign language, philosophy and history guys are cool to hang around with, and combined they have read every book I could think of. There are also a couple of QTs staffing the cafe but they don't give a shit about books. Management are cool, but they're in it to make money, obviously. They care a lot about stocking books people otherwise wouldn't be able to find elsewhere (e.g. we carry a lot of philosophy) and so at the end of the day we have storerooms full of meme books such as the 50 Shades and the Martian. Nobel season is pretty funny because it's always a hustle to get the winner's books in store/reprinted/translated+published (who the fuck was Svetlana Alexievich anyway).

>>7582368
We got cameras and people watching 'em, family. And for once wiki is right:
>According to Rosenbaum, "[I]f you look at who's actually doing the shoplifting, they're not really down-and-out, lower-depths types but like to pose as being down and out, and shoplifting is part of the aura."[5] Constant wrote, "[F]iction that young white men read, and self-satisfied young white men, the kind who love to stick it to the man, are the majority of book shoplifters."
Bukowski, Kerouac, Thompson, that kind of shit gets stolen all the time. Women-books much more rarely so.
>>
>>7582528
>and so at the end of the day
and but* so at the end of the day. It's getting late here, I'm off to bed.
>>
>>7582343
I'd imagine it would be a lot of logistics, book care, dealing with patrons and an overview of different organisational systems you would be expected to use.
>>
>>7582528
Yeah, from my experience it's usually younger white, respectable looking men who do most of the stealing. Blacks don't steal a lot, mainly because they know everybody is watching them the second they go in the store.

If you see a white guy, <25, decent clothes, not shady looking at all, he's probably stealing something.
>>
>>7582554
oh fuck they're onto me
>>
>>7582325

You guys are fucking expensive.

Good selection of books though
>>
>>7582554
>Blacks don't steal a lot
We're talking about a bookstore, my family.
>>
>>7582528
>kill whitey
>>
>>7582566
They can't read.
>>
>>7582528
Which authors are the most/ least popular?
>>
>>7582067
>selling YA to adults who swear it's for their kids
Most adults these days proudly read and talk about YA. It's not shameful or something just because a handful of nerds on a chinese imageboard scoff at them.
>>
>>7582697
i often heard boasts of 'i haven't read a book since highschool' but then i live in a pretty pleb country
>>
>>7582706
Yes. I often hear the same. Men have no qualms about telling others how uneducated and pleb they are. Women read YA and then act as if they are reading patrician literature. For the general populace it seems that way.
>>
i worked at barnes and noble for about 2 years, got in trouble a couple times for reading up at the front but for the most part i was a good boy and i left on good terms
>>
I work at a independent used bookstore. It is indeed comfy.
>>
>>7582813
what's the pay like?
>>
>go to brag about how comfy my student library job is
>get distracted for 5 mins and fail to post
>check emails before going back to /lit/
>cryptic email from boss, pretty sure i'm fired tomorrow

K A R M A
A
R
M
A
>>
>>7582843
Not great, but I get all the free books I want and I have an other job that pays the bill. Working at the bookstore is more like a hobby then it is a career. I enjoy it vary much.
>>
>>7582885
Which authors get picked the most/ least?
>>
>>7582892
Off the top of my head.
Most: Stephen King, Chuck Palahniuk, Louis L'amour, PKD, and a lot of trashy romance

Least: We don't even carry most YA anymore. They just fall out of popularity to quickly to have any resell value.
>>
>>7582849
get fucking destroyed nerd

hopefully they hire a cute girl next
>>
>>7583060
How do you know that anon isn't a cute girl?
>>
>>7582849
Good luck anon, hope you keep your job.
fucking lol though
>>
>>7581818
Yep, I feel you bruh, I'm not really a sperg but I have no experience and I'm 20 which is fucking shameful and it makes it hard to find a decent job, can't even do hard manual labor due to back problems.
>>
>>7582706
The worst is when after this they ask "What about you?" and I can't decide whether to lie or tell them that I enjoy the thing they just made fun of.
>>
File: 1363754242572.jpg (33KB, 433x334px) Image search: [Google]
1363754242572.jpg
33KB, 433x334px
>>7583261
>parents tell me i don't need to work in hs so i can enjoy the best years of my life
>hs was shit
>24 never employed
>noone wants to hire me now
>>
>>7583867
>>7583867

dude, snap out of it. Problem: you want a job but can't seem to get hired due to lack of work experience. Solution: apply for a waiting or food running job at a restaurant. Lie about your work history and say you worked for one year at X. Put down a friend's number with same area code as your manager and inform friend (pick someone who can pull this off obviously).

In the interview when they ask you why you quit X say you enjoyed the job but had to leave to help your parents around at the house because your mom got sick but she's better now and, rather than go back to X you thought you might put yourself out there and try something new.

All of this is a lot easier if you have a friend who already works at the place you're applying. Most entry level jobs won't check your work history.

There are definitely ways to fix this situation your in.
>>
>>7581780
I work at an independent new-book bookstore in Berkeley CA.

It is by far the comfiest job I have had but sadly it isnt that close to campus and we are new, not used, so not too many young people come by. I mainly sell books to old white women, which means whatever book NPR told them to buy or an adult coloring book.
>>
>>7583899
how did you get this job

i'm moving to norcal soon
>>
>>7583900
I moved here in August and was walking around with my roommates on the 3rd or 4th day here. We passed by the bookstore, wondered if they were hiring, called and they said yes they were hiring.

I'd say the main reason I got hired was because I showed my now-manager that I was passionate about Joyce's Dubliner, meaning I could make a sale on something that normally isn't sold.

And yes Dubliners is currently selling very well here.

Pro-tip is literally apply everywhere asap. I did 12 applications in one day and they were the first to get back in touch with me so I went with it.
>>
>>7583907
That was my strategy when I moved to my current place. Thanks.
>>
>>7581780
I work at a library.
>>
>>7583867
He became lazy I believe.
>>
>>7582885
>>7583004

Is it anything like Black Books?
>>
>having a job

I'M FUCKING TRYING, MOM. NO ONE WANTS TO HIRE A 25 YEAR OLD WITH SPOTTY WORK EXPERIENCE AND NO CAR. I'VE APPLIED TO A MILLION PLACES AND GOTTEN INTERVIEWS BUT I SOMEHOW FUCK IT UP, APPARENTLY.

FUCK.
>>
Thinking about opening a bookshop in my district,there's no independent one here only a filiali of a big brand. Should I do it?
>>
>>7583867
>parents tell me i don't need to work in hs

Same here, how can parents be so fucking retarded?
>>
>>7584294
it'll work out man
>>
>>7582752
>Works at a bookshop
>can't read when no customer is around

I would kill myself. Or find another job.
>>
>>7584294
If they want an interview with you it means they're interested
You're probably just bad at interviews which is easy to fix
Just watch vids on it on youtube or something
>>
>>7584314
I wouldn't.
>>
>>7582343
ACTUALLY
It's pretty interesting, and jobs can be god-tier if you are lucky. Basically is a degree about handling and organizing information. You could even end up working for the NSA AFAIK, since you are also expected to have IT classes.
>>
>>7584294
>AND GOTTEN INTERVIEWS BUT I SOMEHOW FUCK IT UP, APPARENTLY.

Secretly record the interviews, review them and learn from your failures.
>>
>>7582286
Because lots of people have had the same idea you did.
>>
>>7582291
>Foyles in London
That place annoys me. OK, handy location, huge selection, but whenever I've been in I've seen no sales on at all. What's the point in that? Who in their right mind pays full price for books?
>>
>>7581780
I worked at Chapters across five years in Edmonton and Vancouver. Despite the pay it it really is a wonderful work environment.
>>
>>7583899
Out of interest which book store was it?
I've been to Berkeley a few times and loved the book stores there (obviously Moe's, but others as well)
>>
>>7582291
Dude, you can't give us discounts. But, pretty please, can I have a job?
>>
>>7582564
>>7585358
Foylesfag is back. I think the recent move cost the shop more than management wants to let on. And if you can afford London, you can afford our books (i.e. pay my wage, pretty please).

>>7585531
http://careers.foyles.co.uk/Foyles/Vacancies/VacancyDetails.asp?VacancyID=188
Three days to apply, anon.
>>
>>7585636
Thanks foylesfag,
I applied. Though in retrospect my cover letter is a bit clichéd. Hope that won't hurt my application too much.
>>
>>7582291
Wait, you mean the big ass Charing Cross one?
Sweet man, i go there all the time
>>
I worked at a chain book store. It was not comfy. I did not talk to people about books. I had to sell them club cards. Every person who walked in I had to sell club cards like an automaton.
Meanwhile, my coworker would leave every night with a trashbag of stolen books. I visited his apartment and he had created furniture out of the spoils.
>>
I work at a small used book store downtown where I live. I can't imagine I'll ever actually leave this job. It's extra cozy, nice comfy chairs, smells like old books and we have good coffee and tea too. Guy who owns the place has enough money to not care about making a profit, just likes having the place for people in the city to go and hang out in, so doubt the place will ever need to shut down, at least not anytime soon. Dream job achieved.
>>
>>7582291
>>7585812
>>7585820
What do you do with damaged or old books? do you ever get free books?
>>
>>7585856
They threw damaged books out. I asked if I could keep one and they said no.
>>
File: 1404769432193.jpg (209KB, 440x410px) Image search: [Google]
1404769432193.jpg
209KB, 440x410px
>>7583088
kek
>>
>>7583867

Try rgis guys, I was just hired there. It seems like they'll give anybody a job with half a brain and the pay seems okay, 9 dollars an hour to start and could increase if you do okay. It is inventory taking.

rgis.com
>>
>>7585856
Anything that's too battered goes in a free box or is super discounted. If there's anything that looks interesting to me in the free box I'll take it home. I get a discount on the books in general, but honestly it's so cheap I don't mind giving back to the shop.
>>
It is my dream to, one day, give birth to a moody café-library.
>>
File: 1398951214216.jpg (404KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1398951214216.jpg
404KB, 1800x1200px
>>7585915
>>
Heh working at barnes and noble. All I do is keep the coffee hot.
>>
>>7585820
This is the dream.
>>
>>7586072
Sure feels like it anon.
>>
>>7585927
If such a thing existed near me I would be there every day reading
>>
>>7583867
HS was 6 years ago quit blaming your parents. I never worked in HS and I got a job a month and a half after graduation. You're not trying hard enough.
>>
>>7582286

Libraryfag here. You need a degree to "technically" be referred to as a librarian, and that degree does not really make you more qualified to find/sort/shelve/order books, it's more about managerial things, business things, the actual running of the library as any other cookie-cutter government institution.

I don't have my degree and I am still doing what you imagine a "librarian" does: answer reference questions, find materials for customers, etc. You can get pretty high up the ladder, into the 60-80k range (CDN, sorry) without a degree.

that said, no matter what your experience or education, all libraries are basically turning into glorified IT departments for seniors who got a Kobo from their kids for Christmas. It's not about sitting among musty old books and engaging in interesting research questions; it's about arguing over late fines with customers and showing them how to log into their email.
>>
>>7582012
every time I go to one the people working there look miserable and they always have to deal with ignorant impatient costumers. dont do B&N, go for more mom and pop stores.
>>
>>7585927
Looks very nice.
>>
File: 138314.jpg (28KB, 293x475px) Image search: [Google]
138314.jpg
28KB, 293x475px
>>7585812
>he had created furniture out of the spoils.

pic related
>>
>>7586186
The guy who was working the register in the music section was cool but this black guy upstairs was a real dick. You know those employees who act contemptuous toward you because you're making them do their job? It was like that.
>>
>>7586162
I imagine most people who get a masters in the field want to be academic librarians working at a university library or something like that. That's what I would prefer over a public library anyway.
>>
>>7584218
no, idiot
>>
>>7586251
yup. every time I cant find a book I hate going to an employee for help because they have the worst attitude.

>go to costumer support section
>hi can you help me find this dual language book?
>ugh well did you try the language section?
>i did but could not find it. it was listed as in stock in this store on the website
>Ill take a look
>lady has a terrible limp like something crawled up her ass
>most likely a disability
>takes years to get to the book
>doesnt find it

they will hire anyone. they are always understaffed. there is sometimes a decripit old lady that takes 10 minutes a costumer at the register.

It's a shit show.
>>
>>7581780
I work a night job. As in I sit in a chair and read all night and no one bothers me. My comfort is maximum.
>>
>>7584314
Know the community first. I live in a small, old ppl town and got to watch our local bookstore die a slow, painful death (by the end it was half toy store). It finally died after the owner did (cancer) December. Meanwhile we have 3 antique stores, 2 "art" galleries, and a funeral home for when you die of boredom. There's a bar but I don't go (plebs). So know your market
>>
>>7583060
>>7583223
KEPT MY JOB, WOO

Turns out it actually was my coworker reporting me for disagreeing with him about feminism. He actually went behind my back and reported me, after we sorted everything out and had normal conversation for days. I even offered him a doughnut the next day.

We disagreed mildly on some shit, I tried to recommend him a mainstream feminist book that backed my stance, he VERBATIM said "I get most of my feminism culturally from Twitter," then accused me of a "microaggression." I told him "that is not a thing," and he said that I had better be careful what I say, that you can get in big trouble for saying that kind of thing. I told him he was on a university campus and that free speech and exposure to different ideas is important, and he said "free speech doesn't exist." I asked him if he liked Chomsky (who has a good essay on defending free speech even when it's offensive), and he said no. I asked him if he liked John Stuart Mill, who also has a good essay, and he said "let me guess, dead white guy, right?" Then he went and reported me behind my back AFTER some tension-defusing banter about agreeing to disagree.

This is a 30 year old, seventh-year literature PhD student, at a pretty good university. He also says "couldn't of" instead of "couldn't have."

I want out of this place ASAP.
>>
>>7586708
What a fucking joke. I don't know how you kept cool, hope your boss is on your side. How can a 30 year old suffer that mentality? What a cuck. So butthurt he actually reported you? What did he say? "Anon shares a different point of view, please fire him immediately"?
>>
>>7586708
I'd have literally stabbed him in the neck, prison be damned.
>>
>>7586708
is this real
>>
>>7586708
>im looking for lit grad schools please tell me what school this is so i avoid it
>>
>>7586772
>>7586811
I lost my cool a bit, e.g. one time telling him that he should read more books on this stuff instead of getting his info from Twitter. It mostly makes me sad that a grown-ass man needs to solve his problems by tattling.

The ideological closed-mindedness is really common here though. The MO from most students is to shut people up pretty quickly when they disagree, not really to argue with them. Just get them to stop talking, or somehow get their event shut down. He was very similar, just interrupt and distract, very condescending. If you want to keep your cool around them, you just need to remember that there is no way they are ever going to let you finish a sentence.

>>7586820
I'm not making any of those quotes up at all. Even the "microaggression" part.

He also said he "doesn't believe in physical protesting, but you better believe I would have been giving them hell on Twitter" when I asked about whether he was at some protest to shut down an MRA thing, based on his views.

Also when I explained Stalinist self-censorship to him, using the words "Stalinist" and "totalitarian," he said "well, maybe that's what the world needs right now."

>>7586823
Hint: Big Red
>>
>>7586877
>well, maybe that's what the world needs right now
If that's the release from subjectivity that they want, then that's what they are going to get.
>>
>>7586877
Why are you wasting your time arguing with the mentally ill at your job? Just ignore the tard, you'll keep your job longer.
>>
File: neanderthal.jpg (194KB, 800x1217px) Image search: [Google]
neanderthal.jpg
194KB, 800x1217px
Does putting books in boxes in a warehouse count?
>>
>>7586958
No. Just as in everyday life, it counts for nothing.
>>
>>7586708
I didn't think this kind of thing actually happens. What did your boss say to you?
>>
>>7583867
Don't listen to >>7583880 unless you want to become a pathological liar.

I got my first job the summer after I graduated, at a huge thrift store. Seems thrift stores are almost always looking for jobs, so I got the job right away without a resume. They had 4 different departments and put me in the one they thought I'd fit best in. I met some really cool people there. Mostly black and latino but they really didn't exclude you for being different. There were actually more middle aged workers than teens. Also, I somehow got paid a dollar more than my coworkers because during the interview I misremembered the state min wage rate and my manager agreed to pay me that much, so I figure the older workers get paid a living wage. Thrift stores seem to help people in that way and more. Still, it wad hard work but at least it's not bullshit like mcdonalds or staples. I had hectic, crazy days, but sometimes they were my favorite days because of the teamwork required. And I'm a fucking sperg. Other days were extremely slow and had to be constantly doing something or our manager would get on our backs. Overall, it seemed better than the shit my peers were doing and I didn't feel like I was contributing as much to the steaming shit that most companies produce.

My 2nd job was at a mom-and-pop drum store. I had to move states after 3 months at the thrift store because my parents were finally divorcing. I found the drum shop job through craigslist and they hired me as soon as the first interview was over. It was cool until about month 8 when the owner's rent got jacked up and we were forced to move to a smaller place in a seedy town that literally smelled of garbage because the local dump was so close. Went downhill from there. Used my upcoming semester at a community college to cop out on good terms.

4 months later, I applied to Goodwill. Hired me right away.

Try thrift stores buddy.
>>
>>7583867
Just lie and say you worked at walmart for years. It works because Walmart refuses to give references.
>>
>>7588253
fuckin typos i need to sleep
>>
>>7586139
>confusion luck with hard work

privileged people erry time
>>
>>7582252

>bookstore seems like on of the only acceptable places for me to work

Then you are probably not qualified to clean toilets. If I were you, I would learn how to operate a vacuum first. Then work your way up to a mop.
>>
File: xe7jj.jpg (23KB, 318x292px) Image search: [Google]
xe7jj.jpg
23KB, 318x292px
>>7581845
>>7581827
>*giggles*
>I was like O.o
>>
>>7582052
So you also sell bait?
>>
>>7582706
I was a cashier at Walmart when 50 Shades was huge, and about 4 to 8 women a day were buying this books in my line. One chick from High School told me, "omg, I've never read a single book in my life but just love this one" (in summary, that is).
>>
>>7582291
Ima pop in yo. Whats yr name
>>
>>7585820
i'm so jealous. the only used book shop we have only employs older people with minimum 10 years experience. so tired of this bullshit, i just wanna work in a nice cozy place.
>>
>>7586276
fuck off mate
>>
>>7582554
>Blacks don't steal a lot
Maybe on Bizarro Earth where you live, lol
>>
What's more important to a bookstore that's hiring, retail experience or actual knowledge of literature?
>>
>>7583867
Except HS was over when you were 18. Yes, you don't need to work in HS. But that was six years ago anon, more than HALF A DECADE. Children who were born on the day of your graduation are now themselves starting first grade. You had six years to find a job after high school until now. You're just a lazy fuck. Stop blaming your parents for everything. You fucked up when you didn't start working after HS.
>>
>>7585223
For real, that's just fucking lunacy.
>>
>>7590215
>retail experience
>>
>>7590215

Retail experience definitly, very rarely will people want recommendations that require signifcant knowledge but you'll have to deal with annoying people every single day
>>
File: 1415551734385.jpg (41KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
1415551734385.jpg
41KB, 550x512px
>>7586877
>Maybe that's what the world needs right now
>>
>>7590010
>Putting my real name on the 4chinz
I'm not doing that, mate.

>>7590215
>>7590578
This. Not looking like a hobo or someone who spends 100+ hours/week on the internet is a plus. Of course, being passionate about literature helps, as long as you don't overdo it during the interview.
>>
>>7586708
>seventh year PhD
That's your alarm bell right there.
>>
what jobs do they have at bookstores beside cashier?
>>
>>7585927
>that floor
>those tables
>the lighting
>the art on the wall
0/10, looks like a preppy highschool school cafeteria library combo
>>
used to volunteer at a political bookstore but it went bankrupt. probably because it was a political bookstore ran by volunteers
>>
>>7590827
Not to even mention the chairs. A proper bookstore cafe needs lots of comfy chairs and couches that you can sink in and disappear into.
>>
>>7588253
what a gay post holy christ
>>
File: 1400985439735.jpg (93KB, 717x880px) Image search: [Google]
1400985439735.jpg
93KB, 717x880px
>>7592144
>>
I applied to the waterstones near me but I ended up getting a job somewhere else first because they were trying to gimp me into only doing a weekend job so I applied other places.
>>
>>7592146
I'm with that guy though, it was a gay post.
>>
>>7588253
thrift stores are great institutions all around
>>
>>7582554
>all these young white males gaining knowledge by any means necessary

It's a beautifully subversive crime
>>
>>7584294
damn i feel kind of sperg at times but god compared to u cluetards im like full normie...

just fucking ask your friends to get you a job where ever they work, duh! those kind of low level jobs love to hire a group of friends so you can cover each others shifts and know when someone is bullshitting or really needs to miss work etc. when i was a teen that's how i got all my jobs...i think i got like one or two jobs from filling out an application, most of the rest were referral from a friend...of course there were a lot less mexicans around back then, these days all those jobs are not going to go to american citizens be they white or black, but still you friend got a job somewhere somehow, so now that he's in the door have him hook you up
>>
>>7592379
most thrift stores only hire ex-cons or recovering addicts in urban areas, they probably get some kind of tax break or grant for it, and they sure ain't making much selling used t-shirts for 2 bucks
>>
I can get a job at a bookstore in my town, but it's this bohemian joint that pays minimum wage.

I don't need the money, I just think that it would be a cool gig a couple of days a week.

Should I do it?
>>
I'm a library page at NYPL. I shelve books for an hour and read for the rest of my shift.
>>
>>7593642
if ur in nyc go volunteer at revolution books in harlem, they're always looking for useful bourgeois idiots to serve the international proletarian cause, i'm sure they'd give ya some hours and then with a bit of hard work and spunk you can leverage that work experience and land a job at the barnes and noble at union square and start clockin the big bucks like 10 bucks an hour n shit BAAALLLLLLIN
>>
>>7582012
Barnes and Noble is a shithole anyways
14 euros for Of Mice and Men my ass
>>
>>7585927
I just want to find a cafe like this but with those noise dampening panels on the ceiling. Those help so much.
>>
>>7593712

This. It's a shame, I like the stores, but there's no goddamn way I'm paying $15+ for these books.

I miss Borders
>>
>>7593712
>14 euros for Of Mice and Men my ass
>euros
>living in some socialist refugee camp in old europe

too bad ur ancestors were too beta to come to the new world
>>
>>7593748
>I just spent $50 on 2 books and a CD from Barnes and Noble
Never again
>>
File: 1452236990193.gif (442KB, 441x270px) Image search: [Google]
1452236990193.gif
442KB, 441x270px
>>7582254
>How do you catch shoplifters?

I worked at a university bookstore. We had a shoplifter brought in by the police from another crime, who explain how they boosted the items. Some sort of community service deal to reduce charges.

There are security guards, cameras, and tags. Book tagging is uncommon in shops, but some places use magnetic strips (like libraries). Use your eyes for the other two.

If there is more than one camera, you are actually lucky. Nobody is going to have the time to rewind all that footage, and watch them all, so if you get out you're already in the clear.

Then, you just torrent the book. Why the fuck are you stealing from a city that only has two bookstores. What is wrong with you. That is some Miserable Les shit right there, and your name's Les.
>>
>>7589985
Did anyone else cringe every time you read "eliminated his map" in Infinite Jest? I enjoyed the book, but God I hated that phrase.
>>
>>7593800

Never read it, is that slang for killing someone?
>>
>>7593813
As with everything else by DFW, if you don't know what it means, it's a metaphor for sexual love.
>>
>>7593800
I really enjoyed it. It was kind of a unique voice of a generation that hadn't even been born, and a hypothetical one at that. The only thing that made me cringe was the "And but so".

>>7593813
From what I gather, map is just slang for your face.
>>
>>7589244
Well if you haven't had a job for SIX FUCKING YEARS I'd imagine you're not trying at all, you're an idiot, or you're self sabotaging.
>>
>>7593653
>2016
>still being a fucking Marxist
>>
>>7593990
>still using a meme from 2015
I mean, come on, it's the age of pisces!
>>
>>7593997
ISHYGDDT was around before John Oliver.
>>
>>7593880
>i'm middle class
>>
>>7583867
most rich/successful people don't have their kids work in high school. the question is why didn't you go to college afterward. go to college and study something useful, or try to get into a trade apprenticeship.
>>
>>7594108

What would you consider useful?
>>
>>7594163
any degree is useful if ur not a fucktard
>>
>>7594176

>(english or other) literature
>gender studies
>useful
>
>>
>>7594186
>being american
>>
>>7594186
u could easily get a job working on political campaigns or on public policy, or get a job at a marketing firm and work on how to sell shit to women or whatever, there are a million ways you could use that, but since you couldn't think of any of that yourself, your main problem is that you are a stupid, in which case just do engineering, even a retard can figure out what to do with that kind of degree
>>
>>7594176
That is correct. Many large companies looking for people to train in "their ways" look for people who have a Bachelors in anything because these people are proven learners. They'll get a year of training at the job anyway.
>>
>>7594193
>in which case just do engineering, even a retard can figure out what to do with that kind of degree

Joke's on you, I was too stupid for engineering so now I'm in English
>>
>>7594201
what are you going to do after?
>>
File: couple_415.jpg (61KB, 415x487px) Image search: [Google]
couple_415.jpg
61KB, 415x487px
>>7594186
if you have a literature degree like this guy why don't you start a hedge fund like him? he's worth somewhere between 1.5 and 2 billion dollars which ranks him well into the top 1000 richest people on earth, but then again he had to leave his mom's basement to do that so i don't know if u have what it takes to follow his blueprint brah
>>
>>7594201
>too stupid for engineering

you just didn't spend enough time memorizing boring shit, jokes on u tho cuz in an english degree ur gonna have to read boring shit like victorian and russian novels that will have u wishing u were staring at a sheet of differential equation formulas all night instead
>>
>>7594212

1. Who the fuck is that?
2. I think it would take quite a bit of capital to start a hedge fund, not to mention extensive business knowledge (certainly not impossible, though I imagine he had friends or relatives already in the game)

>>7594218

Au contraire, the joke is still on you because I'm minoring in math and I love Russian lit :^)
>>
>>7593781
>walk into the store/library. (my library doesn't have magnetic strips or anything)
>have a big coat on with big pocket on the inside
>check out couple of books like a proper citizen would
>have the book you want to lift in your jacket pocket
>if ever called out about it just say oh i had so many books in my hands that I must have slipped it there at some point and forgot it when I checked out.
>>
>>7594260
The range of shoplifters do not appear to match any known sociological demographic. They come from all walks of life, and all levels of income.

More than half of regular shoplifters make a legitimate purchase among their goods. Perhaps to alleviate guilt and mitigate suspicion?

Anyways, don't steal from libraries anon. That defeats the whole purpose.
>>
>>7594267
>>7594260

Seriously, robbing your library is the most retarded shit. Rob a big name store, I don't care, but leave the good guys alone you dumb cunt
>>
>>7594267
>>7594269
In my whole life I've stolen just one book. I was living in Japan, I was young and ignorant. I lived in a small town with a quite good public library for Japanese people but the selection of books in English however was somewhat lacking as you could expect of Japan. Oh well I still could find quite many interesting books there. Then there was this book that I absolutely fell in love with, it's called The tomb of wild chrysanthemum. Before I left this country I searched for it everywhere in stores and online but I couldn't find it anywhere so I resorted to stealing it. I'm not proud of it but I just couldn't leave it there to collect any more dust on the shelves that no one else ever browsed and also I wanted my GF back in my own country to read it when I went back, not just her but I wanted a lot of people to read it. I love the book more than any other and I must have read it at least six times and will read it many more before I die. I'm not proud of what I did but I have zero regrets about it either.
>>
File: 1398126933952.jpg (499KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1398126933952.jpg
499KB, 2560x1600px
>>7594306
What a romantic story. You are a true poet in word and deed.
>>
>>7594306
post pdf
>>
>>7594306

You are forgiven for that, anon. What is it about? There's only 1 $30 hard cover on Amazon, the other links reference an animated series
>>
>>7586452
what job is that?
>>
Glad that so many of you could forgive me

>>7594365
I'll try to search for one

>>7594366
Yeah I could find it on Amazon too but Amazon had only Japanese versions of it and while my spoken Japanese is fine reading is hard especially since it's quite an old book and the language is old too.

The story is set in a small village in Meiji era Japan. Boy from a prosperous family falls in love with a girl that his family got as a helper around the house. They were friends before she could be considered a servant. When they were teens the kids from the neighboring prosperous families started teasing them and telling them that nothing could ever come out of their relationship even though their love seemed purely platonic at that point. After that it developed and that boys family had a bit of qualm about it. The girl got sent away back to her family. To this point it's pretty easy to guess what's happening next so unless you want me to spoil the ending I'll just stop here.

>>7594356
If you truly mean that I must say that I'm very grateful for your kind words. English is not my first language and I'm trying to improve. Also the poet part is much appreciated since writing is something I enjoy a lot.
>>
>>7593620
here in euroland the local thrift store employs retards and downies. good fun.
>>
File: 1369146269499.jpg (996KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1369146269499.jpg
996KB, 1920x1080px
>>7594408
I mean it.

>I love the book more than any other and I must have read it at least six times and will read it many more before I die.

Enchantingly visceral. I think your thoughts are well suited for short stories and realistic fiction.
>>
>>7594367

90% chance it's security of some sort
>>
>>7593781
I'm that anon.
I have been thinking of just building a cheap PC just for pirating books but I'm not sure if I can complete our rent and pay Internet with it or get my neighbor to let me use his Internet for that purpose.
Buying a cheap smartphone and using my Uni's wi-fi is another option.

There are only those two bookstores and a bunch of poor resellers of used books, but their selection is really poor, I very rarely find anything worth buying that doesn't fall apart on my hands.

I think I'm going to just to take a second job near my local library so I don't have to take 1 hour of bus when wanting to drop by.
>>
>>7594497
naiggers aint even that poor u must be really trash
>>
>>7594306
I hope you get shot m80
>>
>>7594431
Thank you. My teachers always said that there was something peculiar that they didn't like in my writing so I never got any compliments on my writing back in school. You and one other person that I lately became acquainted have complimented me on my writing and I'm truly happy about it. For that post I didn't even try to really do anything impressive, I just let my passion for the book flow. It really means a lot to me, thank you anon.
>>
File: kindle.jpg (102KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
kindle.jpg
102KB, 1000x1000px
>>7594497
You need an e-ink e-reader and just fill it up at someone elses computer once in a while if you don't have one.
>>
>>7594534
I'm planning to take a little loan and buy one when I get a credit card.
What worries me is how accurate the calibre conversions are.
>>
>>7594563
From mobi to epub and the other way around is completely without problems in my experience. Pdfs are always tricky and mostly shit though.
>>
>>7594592
That is correct - both epub and mobi are HTML files in a special directory structure inside a ZIP file, so they are relatively easy to convert into each other (both have some unique features which don't convert, but are rarely used)

PDF, on the other hand, is a fixed file format, where the converters have to guess the letters and their order, sometimes it works perfectly (like with a PDF that has been converted from a text-file, where you can select the text), often it's terrible (especially when you have some special format like a text-box inside the text, like you have with university non-fiction, where often the text is non-selectable so the converter has to guess the letters)
>>
>>7594619
pdf is just a bunch of image files in a zip, well, not that simple but it's the same idea but designed for images not text, u don't want an art history book in epub u feel me
>>
>>7594629
you don't want an art history book on an e-ink screen either bruv
>>
>>7594497
überhaxxor dey'll never catch u
>>
>>7593712
It's so weird. Today, I got an huge book of Plato for $11 but there was a small book of Pablo Neruda for 14. The Pablo Neruda was FAR smaller and had barely anything compared to the Plato book. Weird how they price them.
>>
>>7593642
I'd do it. Sounds relaxing and you could get extra money books/ meet literary people.
>>
>>7594825
that's cuz plato is pleb shit

Plebs
Laughing
At
Try-hard
Ops
>>
>>7594876
R/ books sounds more your speed Tbh pham.
>>
>>7594825
Plato is public domain and as classic as you can get, insuring both lower costs and greater sales.
Thread posts: 203
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.