[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Its possible for someone to be a great writer or filmmaker or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: ran2[1].jpg (114KB, 500x250px) Image search: [Google]
ran2[1].jpg
114KB, 500x250px
Its possible for someone to be a great writer or filmmaker or any other type of artist without having consumed a huge amount of material in the media they intend to work?
>>
Sure, just look at tommy wiseau
>>
>>7580674
ehh that's a post-hoc explanation
>>
>>7580659
sure, just look at my diary desu
>>
>>7580659
This is the primary fear that haunts me and make me never start any project. The fear that i am not ready yet, that there is to much to read so that i can write something at least good.
>>
>>7580659
most likely no, you're probably not going to write a masterpiece without reading much
>>
>>7580659
What are you worried about op? Not having a large lexicon?

Just start writing, if you have a good story to tell it'll probably come together decently.
>>
>>7580659

Well, since you don't decide what is great or not, and since what is considered great nowadays is just a "flavor of the time" thing, you have all chances that your work will be considered a masterpiece.
>>
>>7580659
No.
>>
nope
>>
It's probably possible- but the more you read, watch, and analyze the better off you'll be. And, just for the sake of example let's say your trying to write an animated movie and it just fails. You can't get anyone to look at it, the plot doesn't make sense, the concept art looks off somehow, whatever. A really obvious way to solve it would be to start reading books with engaging stories, watching great classic shows, and looking at the art books of famous animated movies because if your art isn't turning out the way you want it to then it pays to look at successful artists.
>>
>>7580659
Probably no OP.

Ran it's my favorite movie btw. Nice pic.
>>
bumping for more answers
>>
>>7580659
Yes but that would require a special talent. Most get bogged down by the past and simply rehash what they've read in an uninspired way both in style and substance. A big part of it is being able to squeeze out alive from in between all the influences you've read.
>>
Hmm I think not.

You have no idea how much directors watch movie.

They literally spend all their waking hours watching movie if they are not making movie.

Most likely true for writing as well.
>>
Werner Herzog
>>
>>7580659
sure, just look at my mum asexually.
>>
>>7582959
>They literally spend all their waking hours watching movie if they are not making movie.
sauce?
>>
You have to have aptitude before any of that. In addition if you've read enough you'll see most of the 'best' art is derived from the 'best' art before it, you should be able to see direct influence in the works if you've read or seen enough yourself. As knowledge builds on knowledge so does style on style and themes on themes. It is highly improbable for a person to achieve the same level of quality without the prior foundation which has been built for thousands of years, the zeitgeist, even being based upon all previous zeitgeists, is not enough to base art on -- it is more like a base sample than anything. Art breeds art, quality nourishes quality. Read more, watch more, be blessed with innate talent, profit?
>>
>>7580677
Is there an explanation that isn't?
>>
>>7582959
This is bs, besides what directors do doesn't apply to writers.

Anyway, i recall that Flaubert spent 8 hours a day reading.
>>
Considering that Tolkien created a masterpiece without having very much knowledge at all on how to write a novel (he knew about linguistics but that was it).
He made mistakes every rookie writer makes and was actually pretty heavily critiqued on how he chose to tell the story. And yet it's one of the most well known stories of mankind.

Also, we have musical and artistic child savants even in current day.
>>
>>7580679
I mean, you probably aren't. But writing before you're ready is an important part of becoming ready - just look at Al Purdy. He was willing to be an awful poet for a long time in order to become a good one.
>>
>>7585769
>Tolkien created a masterpiece
haha
DISCARDED
>>
File: Aufkleber_Trollface.jpg (81KB, 1100x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Aufkleber_Trollface.jpg
81KB, 1100x1100px
>>7585868
LOL u mad bro?
>>
>>7585962
FUCK OF JESUS, RELIGION WAS LIKE SO 2000 YEARS AGO
>>
File: forever-alone.jpg (27KB, 214x236px) Image search: [Google]
forever-alone.jpg
27KB, 214x236px
>>7586051
Please dont be mad,I want to make friends
>>
>>7586058
sweet! let's go burn some churches. (:
>>
>>7580659
Yes, though it's the exception.

It's possible there has been someone who could have been a great or trailblazing artist whose originality was lost in consuming the norm and already-done.
>>
>>7586070
Don't cut yourself on all that edge.
>>
>>7586098
i tried killing myself last year but the knife against my skin, just 5 milimetres into it, made me shudder and panzy out

Now I hunt Protestant Priests on early Monday mornings and write hate letters to the President on a weekly bases.
I realize I can't blame Jesus for the second part of this post.
>>
File: Y0UJC.png (224KB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
Y0UJC.png
224KB, 2550x3300px
>>7586098
Hahaha XD
>>
>>7585769
What the fuck are you talking about. Tolkien revolutionised our understanding of the story & structure of Beowulf & had an intimate understanding of asnc & modern literature & spent all his time talking about plots & narrative with the likes of C. S. Lewis. His works were created as part of a long nurtured project to create a Western mythology. Fucking triggered you fucking Game of Thrones loving pleb.
>>
>>7580674
nah he knew a lot about old movies and actors like marlon Brando and james dean
>>
>>7580678
ayy
>>
>>7580659
Possible? Maybe. Realistically? Highly unlikely. The best authors/artists consumed massive amounts of material in their chosen field.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.