[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently read this based on many great reviews and the fact

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: and then there were none.jpg (88KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
and then there were none.jpg
88KB, 499x499px
I recently read this based on many great reviews and the fact that I was in the mood for a good mystery whodunit story, but sadly the book was pretty disappointing. I must say that this was my first Christie book and I don't like her writing style at all. It's dry and lifeless and her descriptions of events and surroundings and thoughts are dull and bare. The twist seemed very gimmicky and overly clever. Everything was orchestrated in a way that forced you to think that this could never happen like that and could only come from the mind of an author. It wasn't immersive at all.
What kept me reading was the only good thing I liked. The whodunit aspect. I kept guessing and guessing and was really curious who it would turn out to be. The resolution itself was fairly weak but up to this point the mystery still kept me going. In the end you get told in detail how everything was planned and done and that's it.

I feel a bit weird honestly. The book is considered to be one of the best mystery novels of all time and beloved by so many people and I just couldn't get into it.

So, what did you think about 'and then there were none'?
>>
The twist was a bit poor.

Also the characters are pretty illogical and towards the end start acting against their own interests just so they can be killed off.

Like the bit where there are 3 (I think) of them left and one of them hears someone going down the stairs. He lets the person in the other bedroom know and instead of going together, he goes off on his own and gets killed.
>>
>>7580331
You're mixing something up. Blore, Lombard, Armstrong and Claythorne are left. Blore hears steps outside his bedroom and checks to see who it is. He follows the steps and sees a dark figure but doesn't know who it is. He goes back and starts knocking on all the doors to check who's not in their room. Only Armstrong doesn't answer so they conclude that he's the killer and Blore and Lombard go looking for him while Claythorne remains in her room.
Blore dies the next day when the killer drops a clock that looks like a bear on his. After that Lombard and Claythorne find Armstrong's body and Claythorne kills Lombard thinking he's the killer.
>>
>>7580345

Eh, it's been a while since I've read it.

>while Claythorne remains in her room.

Still though, why would she accept being isolated like that? I'm aware that she didn't die until the end but she could easily have been picked off and she just rolls with it.
>>
>>7580356
You know I can forgive that because she locked her door and barricaded it with a chair but what I thought was idiotic was what happened the next day. They haven't found Armstrong's body yet and Blore still went back into the house all by himself.
>>
>>7580295
>What kept me reading was the only good thing I liked. The whodunit aspect.
That's kind of the main hook of most detective fiction. There's the more literary stuff and there's people like Chandler who has the sexiest prose but mystery as a whole is a genre that's mostly based on plot and comfyness. Christie is known as a master of mystery plots, not an exceptional writer.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.