[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm about to start reading the Tanakh. What should I expect?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: hebrew-bible.jpg (222KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
hebrew-bible.jpg
222KB, 1000x667px
I'm about to start reading the Tanakh.

What should I expect?
>>
>>7579309

delusional nonsense
>>
>>7579313
this

read the god delusion instead
>>
>>7579309
the fuck is this chinese bullshit
>>>/jp/
>>
The Septuagint with squiggles all over the place.
>>
>>7579309
Just read it yourself. It asks questions and teaches you to think and ponder and to not accept everything at face value but symbolically.
>>
>>7579309
Pretty nice stories about troubled characters traveling, early on it has an epic tale feeling to it and early on it becomes a lot more about wars and kingdoms in the broad plot sense.
Also has some interesting allegories and allusions to how civilization developed, obviously the relationship between man and God, the human condition, the harmony between the rational consequential nature of life and the mystical layer beneath it.
Best characters: David, Johnathan, Elijah and Samson.
Best arcs: Genesis, Sodom & Gomorrah, Joseph and his Coat of Many Colors, exodus from Egypt, Samson's death, David & Goliath, Jonah and the Whale.
As for the most poignant and meaningful book I'd definitely have to choose Psalms.
>>
File: 1451806999911.jpg (8KB, 244x200px) Image search: [Google]
1451806999911.jpg
8KB, 244x200px
OP here. Things I was not expecting (thus far):

1. God creates "the earth" out of extant material, rather than from scratch.
2. God doesn't create creatures and plants, the earth and the sea do.
3. God doesn't prohibit Adam from eating from the tree of life, only from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
4. An incredible amount of ambiguity in the text.
>>
>>7580637
If this is bait then fuck off. It's not funny and overused. Believe what you want.
>inb4 a gorillion autists fall for your bait
>>
>>7580641
Is this pasta? Because I was being completely serious.
>>
>>7580637
>1. God creates "the earth" out of extant material, rather than from scratch.
>2. God doesn't create creatures and plants, the earth and the sea do.
These are retconned in the second part of Genesis (because it focuses more on man than the creation of the Earth)
>>
>>7580655
Technically the second part of Genesis is retconned by
>1. God creates "the earth" out of extant material, rather than from scratch.
>2. God doesn't create creatures and plants, the earth and the sea do.
>>
>>7579309

Are you reading it cover-to-cover, or are you moving from one section to another as you read?

Also, with that image and you referring to it as the Tanakh, are you reading it in Hebrew, or in translation?
>>
>>7580692
Cover-to-cover and in translation because I'm a silly goy that never fails to disappoint.
>>
>>7580705

Okay, i wasn't doing the >translations meme or anything, just wondering. And I was wondering about the reading order since it seems like a lot of the time cover-to-cover reading gets bogged down in Leviticus, and people (myself included) have found it helpful to alternate among different books/genres (such as among the Torah, Prophets, and Writings specified in the name Tanakh). (I've been working on a Bible reading guide for /lit/ in fact, so I'm doubly curious right now about how others go about it.)
>>
File: documentary hypothesis.jpg (416KB, 1062x1425px) Image search: [Google]
documentary hypothesis.jpg
416KB, 1062x1425px
>>7580718
Neat. I'd be interested to see that when you're finished.

I'm confident I can power through any of the dryer books but I suppose I'll only really know when I get there.
>>
>>7580749
*drier
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.