[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finnegan's Wake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 8

File: finnegan.jpg (3MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
finnegan.jpg
3MB, 3648x2736px
Anyone here read it? How close were you to blowing your brains out?

I opened it up once and it wasn't even in fucking English, then I closed it and put it back on the shelf.

Part of me wants to read it but I've read Portrait of the Artist and found it overrated and convoluted for the sake of being convoluted.

Is Finnegan's Wake worth it?
>>
>Finnegan's Wake
>Finnegan's
>gan's
>n's
>'
>>
I've read the first five pages several times. I really want to get into it, but it hasn't clicked yet.
>>
>>7578855
I don't blame you, it definitely has a reputation.
>>
>>7578844
>kekkek kekkek kekkek
Beautiful, truly ahead of its time.
>>
> Portrait of the Artist and found it overrated
Glad to know I'm not the only one. It was nice but definitely overrated.
>>
>>7578865
Holy shit I just noticed that. What a masterful artist Joyce was.
>>
>>7578874
I think people find it difficult to read and so assume it must be some masterful work of art, in reality, I think most of Hemingway's works have more complex and deep messages than that book had.
>>
>>7578844
If you found Portrait convoluted you shouldn't even consider Wake. Not even being mean, but Wake is the most difficult work of literature written, while Portrait wouldn't even crack the top 20.
>>
>>7578904
Back to reddit
>>
>>7578904
>>7578874
>>7578844
the ignorant arrogance of youth

i love these early 20s motherfuckers who come on 4chan having really experienced nothing and read little who have the balls to call shit like Portrait of the Artist "overrated" - OVERRATED. are you fucking kidding me?
>>
File: 1391490061719.gif (2MB, 150x173px) Image search: [Google]
1391490061719.gif
2MB, 150x173px
>Phall if you but will, rise you must:
>his roundhead staple of other days to rise in undress maisonry... a waalworth of a skyerscape of most eyeful hoyth entowerly

dick jokes all over the place
>>
>>7578986
I am >>7578855, 22 years old, and I just want to tell you I know I'm the problem, not the book.
>>
>>7578986
Thank you. My blood level rises every time I see someone belittling Joyce and his works.
>>
>>7578852
Top kek
>>
>>7578986
to be fair it's Joyce's worst work

(plebs will try to say it's dubliners. ignore them.)

which still places it as an indispensable classic, but yeah.
>>
>>7579012

who doesnt love dubliners? joyce's prose is fucking masterful in those stories
>>
>>7579004
Don't yuou mean Top Brekkek Kekkek Kekkek Kekkek! Koax Koax Koax! Ualu Ualu Ualu! Quaouau?
>>
>>7578844

It's the first meme book, anon. He got away with so much in Ulysses, he wanted to see how far he could go with it. It's a big joke that it's so difficult. He's even quoted as saying he made it so difficult to make professors argue about it for centuries and insure his immortality. And he didn't believe geniuses ever make mistakes (which may have been a joke in itself).

This is written by a man who used to pick fights in bars and have Hemingway fight for him while he laughed. This is a man whose biggest turn on were his wife's farts.

It's all a big joke.

PRO-TIP: Read it in the most ridiculously thick, drunken Irish accent/brogue you can come up with. It'll start to flow better.

Don't worry. You'll never understand it.
>>
File: thunderwords.png (446KB, 7724x961px) Image search: [Google]
thunderwords.png
446KB, 7724x961px
---AAAH, eggscellent. Full disclaimerclosure: I am not the OP.

I have been patently awaiting my first opportunity to riposte some dank OC that I made recently, in a tread where it would be revenant. And here it is (rearrived).

Pictured are the ten "thundrerdwords", or one-hundred letter words of Finagains Wake (except the last one, which has 101 letters), withal analysis.

I looked for these words online, but I found the links wanting, haints this excel-jesus.
>>
>>7579043
>he thinks these statements somehow invalidate the work's genius

pleb
>>
>>7579051
pretentious, empty, pseudointellectualism. take this garbage to reddit.

pathetic attempt to imitate joyce too fuck off.
>>
>>7579055
>Imgurian candy-ass roody-poo can't into Joycespeak
>>
>>7579067
>he thinks his high school creative writing tier drivel is "joycespeak"

top pleb
>>
>>7579070
wasn't me who wrote that, but you're still a faggot
>>
>>7579074
do you feel like a big shot using faggot for the first time in your life? do you get a big thrill knowing this place is different from reddit? you should fuck off back to r/books
>>
>>7579078
>damage control engaged
>>
>>7579083
this is how reddit tries to assimilate itself: stealing phrases he sees with no understand of how they are used, thereby exposing themselves as reddit in an even more blatant manner
>>
>>7579055

Oh damn, someone raged early. The irony being that getting this mad in under 90 seconds (and possibly angrily white-knighting) is waaaay more pretentious than someone having fun, having a meme. Hypretension is first of all associated with unpleasant salty people, after all.

If you don't like dumbstupid puns on some, /some/ level, then why read FW?
>>
>>7579086
Thank you, Senator Joseph McCarthy. Without you, the Reddit Scare would never have begun. You are a fine example of paranoia.
>>
>>7579012
It's not fair, because Joyce's VERY WORST work, is not "overrated." The Force Awakens is overrated. Joyce? Not so much.
>>
>>7579102
I'm honored to have served this board well.
>>
Although I am hoppy that another pepe has reeeeeified you as an roboticallyunproductive triestegarcon, or: pretentious. Your thing also degenerated into a teenagetardfight in under five minutes, esp. with the "huh huh well um "fagot" is a new word right um".
>>
>>7579092
Lol you sound mad triggered just cause he called you out on your shit
>>
>>7578844
I'm slowly going through it now. About halfway through and I'm enjoying it. Feel like I'm losing my mind reading it in long stints but still very enjoyable. I like having a few drinks and reading parts I've really liked so far aloud to my friends.
>>
LOL you must be from America OP. Where I come from, this is required reading in 9th grade.
>>
>>7579126
dae americans are stupid?! upboated xd
>>
>>7579117
>an roboticallyunproductive triestegarcon

c'est vrai, malheureusement
>>
>>7579126
The Portrait of an Artist was required reading for 11th grade honors English at my American high school. Other required reading that I remember from high school:

House of Spirits
Crime and Punishment
The Stranger
Kitchen
Heart of Darkness
Lord of the Flies
The Power of One
The Grapes of Wrath
The Glass Menagerie
MacBeth / Hamlet / Romeo & Juliet
>>
>>7579054

No, anon. Quite the opposite, actually.
>>
>>7579143

Very similar to my reading list at an English grammar, actually. Portrait, C&P, HoD, Grapes of Wrath, Macbeth and Hamlet all in common.
>>
>>7579003
>literally killing yourself every time someone doesn't suck the literary dick of le drunk irish fartman
keep it up
>>
jesus christ what a load of garbage. how pretentious one has to be to "understand" this and praise it? it's like eating Joyce's farts and praising the taste, just like he'd wanted.
>>
>>7578994
Literally nobody thought you were the book.
>>
>>7579092
>having a meme

sounds comfy
>>
>>7579051
>it is tempting to wonder whether 1001 is a prime number.
No it isn't.
(People bringing up the concept of prime number atirlarigo triggers me)
>>
>>7579051
oh cool i never realise the book had 100*2pi pages. Honestly genious
>>
>>7579998
>People like stuff that I don't like
>Call them faggots

How's puberty going?
>>
Have to read a couple chapters for a james joyce class this upcoming semester. should be interesting
>>
>>7578844
I bet Joyce would be into those newspaper crossword puzzles
>>
I finally went ahead and picked up Roland Mchugh's Annotations, as my marginalia were beginning to asphyxiate the text proper.
>>
File: image.jpg (18KB, 429x354px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
18KB, 429x354px
If Dubliners and Portrait are so great, why hasn't RTE directed an adaptation yet?

Being only slightly tongue in cheek here.
>>
>>7580782
Because RTE are completely useless and no one wants to see them fuck it up.
>>
>>7580782

>implying rte will ever do anything good.

You must remember they commissioned 'The Centre' and 'Damo and Ivor'. Hell, republic of telly is considered one of their flagship shows. Utter drivel.
>>
>>7580039
Snicker'd
>>
>>7580796
>>7580800
>They're not watching "Rebellion"
Ha stay pleb boys.
>>
>>7580825

Is it any good actually? I saw the Gleeson fella in The Walworth Farce last year and he was decent enough in it. Domhnall and Brendan were the show-stealers, but you can't attribute that to any fault on his behalf.

I should also watch Love/hate desu
>>
>>7580800
To be fair, I liked the Charlie Haughy drama, and not just because CIA was in it. I haven't seen Rebellion but it looks shite.
The only reason I watched Republic of Telly was to fap to Jen
>>
>>7578852
May not be the official title but it's absolutly right, the character Tim Finnegan is the source of the title
>>
>>7580829
Not really m8, I found it pretty dire. Lots of historical errors, anachronisms and cringeworthy dialogue. If you stand perfectly still at Glasnevin at 10 o'clock on a weekdday night, you should hear Pearse turning in his grave.

I also didn't like Love / Hate desu. Really, we should all just give up paying the license fee.
>>
File: image.jpg (31KB, 600x325px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 600x325px
>>7580782
*produced an adaptation, rather.

It seems like Belfast would be a good place to produce a film with elements of Joyce's Dubliners and Fellini's later movie concerning Rome (in a kind of British gloss of course).

Maybe I'm just fascinated with the way Felllini managed to make a film about Rome? I suppose I'd rather see a personal meditation on broader historical themes than another drama grounded in the early 20th Century.
>>
>>7580845
>not the official title
>is right

???

the apostrophe was very deliberately left out you fucking pleb
>>
>>7580867
Maybe he's refering to the original ballad title dickhead
>>
>>7580877
>original ballad
>posts pic of finnegans wake the book
>talks about reading it
>>
>>7580885

>bait and switch

How could you fall one of the most rudimentary of literary tricks?
>>
>>7579012
dubliners is his most accessible by far.
Objective ranking is Ulysses > dubliners >wake >portrait

If dubliners was literally just The Dead and Ivy Day in the Conference Room it would be above Ulysses desu.
>>
>>7580906
>not liking araby
>not liking after the race
>not liking grace
>not liking a little cloud
>not appreciating how the stories play off each other and how the collection works as a whole
>not appreciating the intricate structure of the entire work

senpai what are you doing
>>
>>7578844

>Literally starts kekking at the beginning of the page

Master Trole 1939
>>
>>7580892
looks i got memed lad :^)

top of the upboats for you!
>>
>>7578852
top jej
>>
>>7580912
>implying I didnt like those and just didn't think they were as good as the two I mentioned

I don't have the book with me and I read it almost a year ago, but the only one I remember that I legitimately didn't like was the one about the guy who is a complete cunt to everyone and then eventually he eats an orange white and green dinner. Shit story 2bh, people who defend it are Ireland ministry of tourism shills trying to promote one of the only things that has ever made their country relevant.
>>
>>7580927
two gallants, though that wasn't the end of the story
>>
>>7580935
oh yeah he goes home and beats his son. Bravo Joyce!
>>
File: image.jpg (144KB, 520x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
144KB, 520x720px
>>7580927
Are there allusions to the Classical era in it?
>>
>>7580946
no that's counterparts you dip

two gallants is when they get the girl to steal for them :^)
>>
File: 9504_1255_390.jpg (62KB, 390x264px) Image search: [Google]
9504_1255_390.jpg
62KB, 390x264px
>>7580950
He is dead. Our Uncrowned King is dead.
O, Erin, mourn with grief and woe
For he lies dead whom the fell gang
Of modern hypocrites laid low.
He lies slain by the coward hounds
He raised to glory from the mire;
And Erin's hopes and Erin's dreams
Perish upon her monarch's pyre.
In palace, cabin or in cot
The Irish heart where'er it be
Is bowed with woe -- for he is gone
Who would have wrought her destiny.
He would have had his Erin famed,
The green flag gloriously unfurled,
Her statesmen, bards and warriors raised
Before the nations of the World.
He dreamed (alas, 'twas but a dream!)
Of Liberty: but as he strove
To clutch that idol, treachery
Sundered him from the thing he loved.
Shame on the coward, caitiff hands
That smote their Lord or with a kiss
Betrayed him to the rabble-rout
Of fawning priests -- no friends of his.
May everlasting shame consume
The memory of those who tried
To befoul and smear the exalted name
Of one who spurned them in his pride.
He fell as fall the mighty ones,
Nobly undaunted to the last,
And death has now united him
With Erin's heroes of the past.
No sound of strife disturb his sleep!
Calmly he rests: no human pain
Or high ambition spurs him now
The peaks of glory to attain.
They had their way: they laid him low.
But Erin, list, his spirit may
Rise, like the Phoenix from the flames,
When breaks the dawning of the day,
The day that brings us Freedom's reign.
And on that day may Erin well
Pledge in the cup she lifts to Joy
One grief -- the memory of Parnell.

>tfw someone who was more of a novelist than a poet was also the greatest poet of all time
>>
>>7580958
Pure Victorian-era doggerel
>>
>>7579020
Top Brekkek Kekkek Kekkek Kekkek! Koax Koax Koax! Ualu Ualu Ualu!
>>
>>7580958
I just finished reading this short story. Pretty cool, I was impressed by the poem and it was even a bit overwhelming.

I'm an illiterate retard who's trying to get into reading. Would you recommend I read Ulysses?
>>
File: image.jpg (43KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43KB, 500x500px
Could you find the Greek Anthology in an Irish schoolroom or library? Do they teach the Elegaic Poets? Not the Rexroth shit, but the real stuff?

There's so much of the elegiac in Joyce, and so much of Joyce in Fellini...
>>
>>7580996
no. at least read the odyssey first if youre set on it.
>>
>>7581032
>the odyssey
The one by Homer?

Also yeah, I figured I wouldn't be able to read a whole book on sucking the cock of the Irish
>>
>>7581053
disregard that, the odyssey is a superficial element of joyce's ulysses. Read portrait of the artist first, it's the intro story of one of the main humans in ulysses.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.