[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>figure I'll take a break from literature and read nothing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

File: 1358818407872.jpg (25KB, 367x479px) Image search: [Google]
1358818407872.jpg
25KB, 367x479px
>figure I'll take a break from literature and read nothing but genre fic for a while to relax
>it's actually really fucking boring
Is this how genreplebs feel when they read actual literature?
>>
Once you go /lit/...
>>
>>7578611
no, you now realize why people don't like it. you could watch an adam sandler movie and try laughing next.
>>
>>7578611

yeahp. being patrician is not fucking easy, man. not liking things makes you pretentious now.
>>
>>7578629
>an adam sandler movie
I'm pretty sure even most plebs consider that beneath themselves.
>>
>>7578611
I know, right? People keep saying that escapism is fun, but it always ends up being the most boring shit ever.
>>
>>7578619
Your taste becomes shit.
>>
>>7578687
>tfw literature is escape from life which is just escape from death
>>
>>7578611

I know that feel OP you are not alone
>>
>tfw reading "patrician" literature, watching "patrician" films, and listening to "patrician" music has made "fun" things boring

I wish I never fell for the memes.
>>
File: vegeta.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
vegeta.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>decide that living the simple life with my earth slut wife is no longer good enough
>go train in the mountains with earth's greatest fighters
>learn to master my ki
>master a number of techniques
>get nostalgic for my old life, been training for so long
>come back down from the mountain
>try to hug my wife
>instantly vaporize her
>mfw my power level has grown so much that i cannot even return to the pleb life if i try
>>
>>7578710
>Not suffering from anhedonia from the first moment of your life
You were born to be a pleb
>>
File: 1446147917947.png (300KB, 382x442px) Image search: [Google]
1446147917947.png
300KB, 382x442px
>>7578717
I wish I could just enjoy normie things. Maybe then I could have friends or even a gf.
>>
>>7578675
I used to think that no one could find YA interesting, much less something you would proudly promote for free. Sandler is a millonaire, people love his movies.
>>
>>7578611
Martin Eden might be a book you find similar to what you are feeling. A poor guy with no education becomes very educated, but he doesn't like the ones he once idolised, the rich educated people, but when he tries to grasp the fun and happiness he once felt with his uneducated friends and not questioning what is around him he fails. He can no longer do it.
>>
File: pepe dies at the phone.gif (1MB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
pepe dies at the phone.gif
1MB, 300x200px
>>7578726
>tfw can say that without sounding like a huge dick
>>
>>7578734
>tfw have a huge dick and can't say that
>>
File: 1451616030312.png (161KB, 364x334px) Image search: [Google]
1451616030312.png
161KB, 364x334px
>>7578734
>tfw have a small dick and no friends and no gf
>>
>>7578611

you're reading the wrong genres then. fantasy is inherently dog shit. sci fi requires a really good writer. heinlein, asimov, bradbury, wolfe... are not good writers. they're just autists. crime fiction, detective novels—even the worst of these are entertaining
>>
>>7578748
>crime fiction, detective novels—even the worst of these are entertaining
Nope, still boring. Possibly more boring.
>>
kys
>>
>>7578748
>detective novels
>inherently interesting

Is it fucking 1936? The genre has been done to death and back.

And thinking Asimov can't write but Jennifer Jaynes can? Did you fall down a flight of stairs as a kid?
>>
>>7578748
dashiell or hammett are way more interesting if you stop interpreting it literally and think of it as a form of impressionist literature
>>
Your mom goes to college
>>
>>7581024
>dashiell or hammett
>or
>>
>>7578675
According to wikipedia, Sandler's films combined have grossed over $2 billion at the box office and Jack and Jill alone grossed $149.7 million.
>>
File: rlm.jpg (38KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
rlm.jpg
38KB, 640x360px
>>7578611
>So Jay, what did you think of... the Infinite Jest?
>>
>tfw there are people like OP who don't understand there are literal garbage that only artistic goal is to entertain people who are children or their mental and emotional growth was incomplete and they're literal teenagers or children in adult bodies
>tfw you grow up from the patrician memes and can enjoy pretty much anything
>tfw I can enjoy now garbage like twilight because I understand what's the kind of people that read that shit
>not watching garbage like love hina to pick up their errors and broke it apart to understand why plebs enjoy it
>tfw can enjoy easily stuff like shakespeare as well as sword art online because I'm not a fucking retard who thinks they can even be compared
>comercial music and radio pop are fucking garbage, why they're not like X or Y music genre that is more patrician
>tfw le patrician reddit fedora supreme gentleman
lmao faggot.

I'm sure you're the live of the party and got drowned in pussy by talking to those emo girls who are into screamo garbage about vivaldi four seasons.

lmao faggot.

kys
>>
Jay and Mike saw Inherent vice and didnt' get it. You have to realize that plebs are 90 percent of the population includes most smart people. This types of ART projects are for the 10 percent who waste their time on reading 1000 pages on bullshit. At the end of the day. You reall need a stephen king to only keep the industry going.
>>
I think plebs love to think they are intelectuals but the plebines makes them surface as faggots
>>
>>7581665
i guess i see what you mean but i guess i expected a little more out of a guy who seems to have such a sense of smug knowing superiority about himself when it comes to movies (really referring to mike and jay here)

i wonder what Max Landis thought of it
>>
>>7581628
I can't tell if you're talking about videogame shit, comic book shit or anime shit
>>
>>7578733
does he end up shitposting DFW threads?
>>
>>7581699
don't worry, everything he said was pretty much nonsense anyways.
>>
>>7581628
You can't possibly be a patrician when you write with the syntax of a twelve year old.
>>
>>7581194
10/10 the hesitation is what makes it
>>
>>7581024
>Dashiell or Hammett
B R U H
>>
>>7578611
Just read Cormac McCarthy. He's got lots of violence and puffed up philosophical monologues.
>>
>>7578611
Tfw when you're an actual idiot who doesn't realise the different aims SF and "literature" have. Go read a Samuel Delany essay you retard
>>
>>7582243
>b-but it's supposed to be poorly written and boring as shit
>>
>>7578694
underrated post
>>
>>7582218
>>7581062
i meant hammett and the other faggot, whoever it was who wrote the big sleep
>>
I enjoy genre fiction. :)
>>
>>7582521
How? Don't get me wrong, I want to.
>>
>>7581073
Yeah, because he has name recognition and there are people who go see new movies religiously just because. It's consumer culture, it doesn't matter if it's good or not.
>>
>>7582620
treat it like watching a movie
>>
>>7578675
Punch Drunk Love tho
>>
Of course genre fiction is boring. Genre fiction is like a lackluster handjob in a parking lot from your 6th grade gym teacher.

Literature is like being deep-throated, rimmed, and having your balls sucked simultaneously by three horny Swedish girls on vacation in Ibiza.
>>
>>7582620
Well, a great science fiction book won't preoccupy itself with narrative for entertainment's sake, but rather ask a big question- a question that many of us might wonder ourselves, and then use the narrative as a way of presenting one possible answer, and why. "Showing your work," in other words.

For example, many people ask on this site, why would aliens bother invading Earth? Aren't we basically just insects to them? In the book Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke, the author asks this, and many other questions, and then presents to the reader one possible scenario in which aliens may want to invade, but not harm humanity.

Good sci-fi can reignite a reader's child like sense of wonder towards the universe, and in doing so, encourage them to be a more engaged, mindful, questioning person. These kinds of people are essential for a society to progress.
>>
>>7582640

While I think that 9.9 times out of ten when someone says something is subversive (especially in academia) they are full of shit, there's something subversive about that film. Approprating an icon of bad taste in an auteur film and making it work well is pretty audacious. Very Pynchonian too.
>>
>>7581628
call love hina pleb again and I'll come joyce down your throat m8
>>
>>7583988
Get a load of this arse full of pleb
>>
did OP ever say what book he read. what's the rule, that 90% of everything is crap, because it applies to genre fic and literary fic too, you gotta ask someone who knows genre fic well what to read
>>
The genre divide thing really makes very little sense to me. Is it an American thing? I mean, in most of the world authors who write about weird, fantastic shit aren't fantasy or scifi, they're just authors. Why does America have this super-segregated literature industry? Is that why all your modern literature is this self-indulgent Tao Lin/Franzen/DFW kind of guff?
>>
>>7582640
Stars Adam Sandler but is not per se an 'Adam Sandler' movie.
>>
there's some pretty literary 'genre' stuff out there. jg ballard or james ellroy, for example.
>>
>>7584028
What country are you from?
>>
>>7584028
dfw is basically a highbrow sci fi writer but whateber
>>
>>7584050
Britain. We have authors like Orwell, Huxley, Ballard, Wells, Tolkien, Amis, Mitchell, Banks etc.
>>
>>7578710

>can't find a balance between both

The dicho is indeed a meme. And you fell for it.
>>
>>7584061
as an american
>Orwell
>Huxley
sci-fi
>Ballard
a literary sort of sci fi, as mentioned in >>7584043
>Wells
sci-fi
>Tolkien
fantasy
>Amis
literary
>Mitchell
literary, sure, but kinda shit
>Banks
literary and/or scifi.

only one really worth mentioning is ballard, maybe banks or amis.
>>
>>7584028
holy shit this
I'm in Australia and don't understand you silly Americans and your genre divide hierarchy shit
>>
>>7584201
>>7584028
it's just market segmentation guys
>>
>>7582756
brb going to read some lit
>>
>>7584125
See we'd just call that all 'fiction'. Our genre boundaries are a lot less rigid than yours.
>>
>>7582635
That's right. As Kermode says, just because people paid for it doesn't mean they liked it. My mum used to have a bunch of favorite actors and would just watch any movie they were in, regardless of whether it was direct to video garbage or whatever, and somehow she was consistently surprised by how terrible these movies largely turned out to be. Similarly, I once had a conversation with my grandmother where, after she had watched an entire episode of Two and Half Men without making a peep, she turned to me and said, "That show is so funny!" Like, you didn't laugh once, how fucking funny could it have been? But not everybody has this Google brain where you're constantly aware that a universe of knowledge is available at all times. As a result, people use these ludicrously imperfect methods of choosing how to entertain themselves, and they're so fucking stupid, even when the entertainment sucks, they somehow feel they have gotten the complete experience.
>>
>>7584028
>>7584061
But it's pretty fucking established that those authors have far different priorities, that's why the genre distinction. The genre authors strive for a certain "thing" and the fiction authors don't and focus on their craft instead.
Very loose and general explanation for sure but the genre distinction is useful. Except for a few outliers like Ballard.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.