[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I started this book last night and i'm really enjoying it.The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: goodomens.jpg (30KB, 318x475px) Image search: [Google]
goodomens.jpg
30KB, 318x475px
I started this book last night and i'm really enjoying it.The writing reminds me a lot of Douglas Adams.
Any thoughts/opinions? is this book popular here?
I have no real interest in Gaiman's stuff (not into graphic novels) but if I enjoy this will I enjoy reading the Discworld novels?
>>
Neil Gaiman is absolutely worth looking into! He's one of the finest modern purveyors of literature around, don't believe all these sourpusses on here.
>>
>>7578343
OP here. I worked at a bookstore for a few years and he was really popular with the tumblr-girl crowd. also seemed like teen-lit to me and so I have very little interest in reading his stuff.
Also i dont do graphic novels.
>>
>>7578331

Reported to FBI.

Saged.
>>
At first I thought the redditor influx was just imagined, but either some anon is trolling hard recently or it's really happening ronpaul.gif
>>
>>7578349

Don't judge an artist by his fans it's probably just dumb chicks who heard he was married to Amanda Palmer
>>
>>7578476
>>7578488
god forbid I post about light, humorous novels rather than Pinecone and DFW and the other memes /lit/ obsesses over.
>>
>>7578512
Amanda Palmer is 100x cooler than Gaiman and way out of his league. She is a stupid bitch for marrying him.
>>
You should ask in the fantasy/sci-fi thread about discworld. In general I've found that Gaiman is pretty comfy when writing short stories but most of his writing is literally meant for little kids, 10 or younger. /lit/ tends to get offended when they don't know the clear target of something, also there's a reddit witchhunt going on.
>>
The humour is Pratchett's, the Biblical knowledge is Gaiman's. If you like the humour but can imagine it without the religious edge, you'll like Pratchett.
>>
>>7578752
She left him for the transgender baby sitter or something, or that was his previous wife?
>>
Gaiman's a class act and one of the best modern fantasy writers around. If you're looking a place to start American Gods is well worth a read.
>>
>>7578763
I don't know, but it sounds like even his life is pretty tumblr.
>>
>>7578764
how much did they pay you for that? where do I go to get a jobe like yours?
>>
>>7578757
Pretty much this. The humor comes across way more in Pratchett's style. I enjoy reading Pratchett more than Gaiman (at least in terms of novels,... Sandman is pretty good). Gaiman's humor was way weaker in American Gods.
>>
Gaiman knows he doesn't write only for adults, and he doesn't pretend to. That doesn't mean he insults his audience or is a bad writer, compared to John Green he's a god.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuQpH2rTY-o
>>
>>7578775
I'm paid on commission, every thread now has that post, you just happen to be in the only one where it's relevant.
>>
>>7578757
>>7578787
>>7578755
thankyou for the legit responses. much appreciated.
I could definitely see myself enjoying the humor without the religious aspect.
>>
>>7578331
This is a public service announcement for all newcomers to /lit/ brought to you by a /lit/ patrician™. Those of us who have long called this board home have noticed a significant deterioration in posting quality and an influx of plebs in the last few months that within the past week has become acute. We can attribute this to the Katie fiasco making the front page of reddit or one of our top 100 book lists being posted on reddit and getting over a million views or other events but whatever we blame it on doesn't change the facts of the matter which is that plebs who don't belong here are shitting threads up.

Thus, this public service announcement was made for those who are determined to stay even if they are way over their heads. Here are some important things you need to get through your head if you are going to stay and post without being ridiculed. Take notes.

1. Under no circumstances will you ever praise any book taught in a standard high school curriculum as anything but an enjoyable read from your past that you don't care much about now. The vast majority of books taught in high-school are complete pleb shit. The only exceptions to this are Nabokov and Conrad as they are taught at some schools.

2. Genre-fiction is pleb trash and anyone who reads it frequently should be curb-stomped. If you are going to post in bookshelf threads then take your GRR Martin et al., off of the shelf before you photograph it you retards. Don't ever mention genre-fiction unless its in a containment thread specifically for it.

3. Israel did 9/11

4. Don't ever defend yourself by inferring or saying that the person ridiculing you is doing the "stop liking what I don't like". This will instantly reveal you to be a mega-pleb. There is objectively bad literature and roughly 85% of the time people here are being honest with you when they say an author you like is trash.

5. Don't ever bring identity politics into threads on /lit/. We are here to discuss literature and not women or minorities. If you want to have a thread asking about favorite women authors thats fine but don't ever attempt to use "all white men etc" as an argument to detract from something. Also don't ever ask why literature from African authors isn't more popular (its mostly shit). Bringing up identity bullshit needlessly irritates even most left-wing /lit/ posters.

6. /Lit/s harsh attitude towards plebs and pleb books is a necessary and vital part of the board as it helps maintain a homeostasis of quality by weeding out and discouraging plebs from posting.

7. Anything by Douglas Addams, Harper Lee, Joseph Heller, Vonnegut, Bret Easton Ellis, Palahniuk, or Orwell is complete pleb trash and not to be mentioned.

8. Start with the Greeks

Brought to you by a /lit/ patrician™. For those of you who are already patricians™, don't give up hope. For those of you who are newcomers, at least try to make it less obvious.
>>
File: 5683216895_535559c244_z.jpg (209KB, 450x640px) Image search: [Google]
5683216895_535559c244_z.jpg
209KB, 450x640px
>>7579261
>>
File: 1430433258291.png (26KB, 889x737px) Image search: [Google]
1430433258291.png
26KB, 889x737px
>>7578331
>>
This board has really gone to the shitter.
>>
>>7579261
Fuck off.
>>
>>7578331
i hated this pseudointellectual masturbatory wreck and hope no on ever touches it. i cant believe i let someone trick me into reading it even though there is nothing about the plot summary that would have caused me to pick it up on my own. i say that because even the structure is shit.
>>
Please, please stop.
>>
>>7579326
>>7579586
sorry, I thought this was a literature discussion board. I didn't realize it was a /lit/-approved-only discussion board.
Christ, even /mu/ discusses music outside of /mu/core without having to spout retarded memes to preserve some false sense of identity and pseudo-superiority for only liking certain types of literature.
I haven't been on /lit/ in a year or so and holy fuck, what happened?
>>
>>7579630
genre fiction and literature are different things anon
>>
where does good omens stand in the discworl timeline? i just finished monstrous regiment.
>>
File: 1395462002497.jpg (18KB, 363x353px) Image search: [Google]
1395462002497.jpg
18KB, 363x353px
>>
>>7579261
I know you're rusing, but you need some realism here. An actual /lit/erate would never say anything like
>Under no circumstances will you ever praise any book taught in a standard high school curriculum as anything but an enjoyable read from your past
..unless Clapistani schools don't teach Shakespeare or something.
>>
>>7579630
If you want to discuss genre fiction then you will feel at home at Reddit. If we want to discuss high literature then we won't feel at home there or anywhere else on the internet. Why take what little we have?
>>
>>7579527
>pseudointellectual masturbatory wreck
Wut. How do you figure that? It's a silly, easy-to-read comedy complete with film references. You make it sound like they were going for Ulysses II or something.
>>
>>7578343
Nice try. Im not falling for this bait.
>>
>>7579527
>wah I read a book and didn't like it!
no one forced you to read it. If you didn't like it, you could always, you know, stop reading.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.