[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is postmodernism, /lit/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: PoMo.png (142KB, 652x552px) Image search: [Google]
PoMo.png
142KB, 652x552px
What is postmodernism, /lit/?
>>
It is technically the reaction to the modernist movement in literature.
Some people think it's lower quality than modernist literature because it deals a lot with satire and abstract nonsense or whatever, but I enjoy it. I would recommend reading the Crying of Lot 49 for an idea of what postmodernism is.
>>
infinite jest is metamodernism. shit list
>>
the response of all the ideals of modernism being betrayed by itself and a combination of those ideas with a longer understanding of human history product of modern analysis and investigation.

>>7578108
you just said nothing
>>
>>7578121
Ok faggot
>>
>El tunel
What? that's modernist at best, in the sense that quixote was the first modern novel.
>slaughyrthouse-fove
because it's not lineal? that's the only thing I could imagine putting it on the list, and it's absurd.
>the man in the high castle
literally no reasson to be there

how can a list be so sumb?
>>
>>7578142
did he hurt your feelings?
>>
>>7578101
It's a reaction to the high intellectualism of modernism, the violence of WW2, and the alienation caused by capitalist society.
>>7578120
>The Tunnel
>Women and Men
>JR
>shit
Dude, that's, like, retarded.
>>
>>7578101
aight so check it dawg. The modernists like Joyce and Tit Suckin Eliot were makin all this academic shiiiit. And it kinda made literature a little esoteric and catered towards higher intellectuals.

The early postmoderns like Barth and Barthelme were like "ahh, hell yeah, but at the same time hell naw." They wanted to capture the experimental, self-referential aspects of modernism without killing the fun of reading.

So Barth wrote The Sot Weed Factor, Nabokov wrote Pale Fire, Barthelme wrote all his shit, etc. And a new literature of experimental, self-referential stories were encapsulated in the bubble of bottled up, non-world referencing stories. One no longer had to be an academic to read GREAT literature -- not saying the literature wasn't challenging.

Then peeps like Pynchon and Gass came around and expanded this idea in ways that were still academic, but not in the name dropping ways. All of a sudden, American postmodern lit was nihilistic, mostly as a reaction to the 60s.

And everything after that was, well, undefined. No real movements since then. DFW is arguably not even postmodernism. who the fuck really knows at this point.
>>
>>7578143
It's The Tunnel by Gass, mongoloid. And you cannot get more postmodern than it.
>>
>>7578159
>Gass
>not a name-dropper
You haven't read The Tunnel if you think he doesn't name-drop.
>>
>>7578101

It's a mistake the world would be better off without.
>>
The most misunderstood -ism
>>
File: pepe merchant.jpg (25KB, 394x458px) Image search: [Google]
pepe merchant.jpg
25KB, 394x458px
it's a lot like modernism but somehow more pretentious
>>
>>7578120
Is metamodernism the new meme?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.