[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jesus Christ....im about to go pick this up. I read a brief summary,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: Flatland.jpg (63KB, 298x475px) Image search: [Google]
Flatland.jpg
63KB, 298x475px
Jesus Christ....im about to go pick this up. I read a brief summary, and other implications about the book and i am enthralled. Any of you /lit/heads read this? Suggestions, thoughts?
>>
Loved it, found it in the iBooks free sections years ago and read it in one sitting on a plane. Have thought about the concepts therein many times since. Would and have recommended.
>>
banal
>>
>>7577598
I liked it. It was a very original work at the time he wrote it.
There is nothing to suggest here, this book is pretty straight forward in everything.
>>
it's short and fun
>>
>>7577624
>>7577607
>>7577619
>>7577629
I do look forward to what i will read!
Im sure i could look up other books similar to this online, but do you have any books that have this type of surrealism that may not be mentioned by mainstream websites?
>>
I found it dry and boring. It seemed fairly surface-level to me, the and the pacing was off -- the first half of the entire book is spent describing the setting, and only once that's over does the story actually start.
>>
>>7578708

In fairness, the point of the book is not to tell a great story, but to thought-experiment with the idea of what living in a two-dimensional world would actually be like. The "caste society" of polygons is just something that the author came up with as window dressing, and is not essential to the story's experiment. I did find the quadrilateral's narrative voice to be annoying in places (they also have obdurate Victorian sensibilities, which makes them unrelatable today).

Like The Metamorphosis, Flatland is a quick and easy "what-if" read, and therefore worth the time. They each have a hook, but there's not much to them, beyond their hook. They are both... memes

If anyone likes this idea, also look up "the Planiverse", a larger book that I regret I have never read, but did flip through in the library once as a kid. This was my first exposure to the 2D concept, though I would read Flatland some years later.

t. math graduate
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.