[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

War and peace BBC TV series

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: image.png (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 2048x1536px
So what does /lit think of the BBC War and peace series, any good?

http://youtu.be/H-BCmUeHE5c
>>
>>7577288
Not as good as the book.
>>
>>7577288
shit looks cash desu
some anon posted his take on the book a while back and it made me interested in reading the book, and this just solidified it.
unfortunately i am just starting on infinite jest so idk when i will get to this and finish it
>>
>>7577312
Yeah me too, It might even be better to watch the show first I before start on the book
>>
They made up an incest plot line to spice things up for the plebs. Why in hell does some chattering class BBC hack screenwriter think he can do better than Tolstoy?
It's worse than the Barbican producers thinking they can improve Hamlet by starting with the soliloquy .
>>
>>7577288
haven't read the book yet, love the bbc series, Tolstoy is hiding behind Homer at the moment in terms of my reading
>>
>>7577578
>Not liking wincest
It's as if you come from /plebbit/
>>
>>7577586

>Tolstoy is hiding behind Homer

What? Why?

You didn't fall for the meme that you should be reading the great works of 3000 years ago instead of the great works of the relatively recent 150 years ago, did you?
>>
>>7577605
maybe I want to read Homer's works, then Virgil's Aeneid as a Trojan trio dip shit
>>
I've decided to abstain from watching it so as to preserve the mental image I have from watching the book and not making it so every time I think of scenes I picture the actors from an adaptation. Yes, I know I'm a faggot.

That said, I really like the idea of Paul 'classic' Dano as Pierre and would probably enjoy it if I gave it a chance I expect.

>>7577578
What wincest do they go for? Natasha/Petya?
>>
>>7577288
I'm enjoying the shit out of it so far. Haven't read the book, though.
>>
It's pleb romance shit.
>>
>>7577623

...but you could read Tolstoy instead...?
>>
>"In the shadow of war, can young lives shine?"
>British accents
>That edgy champagne spray
>Period piece indistinguishable from any of its more westerly European counterparts
>We want the youth audience
>"Epic new drama. War & Peace"

Not even Dano could save this.
>>
>>7577667
He could actually read many other authors; did you know there's more than three?
>>
>>7577578
that's what they did with the Borgias too
>>
Is war and peace a bad start for a beginner to Tolstoy? Do I need to start somewhere more entry level or can I just jump straight in?
>>
>>7577680
a pity; the borgias was my favourite tolstoy novel
>>
File: 1429640951634.jpg (42KB, 399x388px) Image search: [Google]
1429640951634.jpg
42KB, 399x388px
>>7577288
>transposing Tolstoy to film
>transposing an author most famous for his detailed character studies which rely almost entirely on seamless changes between inner/outer dialogues and points of view
>anchoring this kind of work to film, a medium which, by its very nature, traps one inside of a single point of view which can only ever express the outer/superficial
>implying this isn't just a cash grab
>implying they won't forcibly alter what is already a near perfect work of literature
>implying Tolstoy isn't at peace in his grave right now

Livid t b h compadres
>>
File: image.jpg (140KB, 840x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140KB, 840x400px
Anyone got a link to a torrent?
>>
>>7577695
just go for it, it's great and entertaining as shit. it's not a hard book, just a long one. if you're comfortable marathoning your average HBO TV show then you should be fine reading this. just fucking read it and after a hundred pages or so you'll be invested in the characters and enjoy their individual escapades and the wider narrative as well and the only real fly in the ointment is the occasional authorial interjection where Tolstoy wants you to know that all historians are wrong compared to him
>>
>>7577669
>Period piece indistinguishable from any of its more westerly European counterparts
This is my major issue with it. Needs more sweeping Russian landscapes and bearded vodka-swilling fatalism. Still enjoying it, though.
>>
>>7577718
It took me 2 months to read it. It was easily one of the best 2 months of my life. I indulged in a little breaks just to think about it. Say what you like about translations, but it changed me. The great drama seems to manage to surpass the language barrier. Although I am a degenerate who likes a book with great characters.
>>
>>7577695
>>7577718

This anon is right. Get through the first 100 pages. That's about the cutoff point, the introduction, basically. Then the story starts and you're gold from there.
>>
>>7577703
>anchoring this kind of work to film, a medium which, by its very nature, traps one inside of a single point of view which can only ever express the outer/superficial
Y I K E S
lrn2filmtheory compa
>>
>>7577703
the word is "adapting", eurotard

>>7577840
I've always been curious, is it more difficult for someone like you to enjoy literature than it is for normal people who actually understand the nature of art?
>>
>>7577840
>implying film can ever transcend the confines of symbolic representation
>implying this symbolic representation will ever be as rich or malleable as Tolstoy's writing
>implying making a film/television series based on Tolstoy's work isn't the aural equivalent to writing a novelization of a Bach concerto

At best it will be an unnecessary companion piece to what was already a near perfect novel.

At worst it's another superficial bastardization of a great literary work that will be used for the sole purpose of acquiring capital. I can't wait for the incoming torrent of tumblr War and Peace fan fiction.

>>7577864
>"it's not that word, it's this loosely synonymic version of this word"

Oh man, you must be a lot of fun in translation threads
>>
>>7577881

Which will be worse? The tumblr War & Peace fanfiction or the status updates of background images with Tolstoy quotes on them with, "Love this," and "My favorite writer," even though they've never read any Tolstoy?
>>
File: MI0000959712.jpg (23KB, 400x347px) Image search: [Google]
MI0000959712.jpg
23KB, 400x347px
>>7577288
I haven't seen it yet but pic related is great. Especially with Hvorostovsky as Pierre.
>>
>>7577578
The same thing happened with the BBC's edition of then there were none.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.