[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your favorite words? Which writer uses the best words

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 6

File: 1452250980131.jpg (1MB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1452250980131.jpg
1MB, 1200x800px
What are your favorite words?

Which writer uses the best words and in what work?
>>
my last name

'g'

absolutely

platanote

light
>>
>>7577054
ostensibly

in actuality

vapid

hedonism

cuck
>>
>>7577069
>cuck
>sincerely your favorite word

kys m8
>>
prolly, velvet, expansive, recursive, infinitesimal, minute (as in small, not a unit of time), meta, labyrinth
>>
A day of dappled seaborne clouds.

The phrase and the day and the scene harmonised in a chord. Words. Was it their colours? He allowed them to glow and fade, hue after hue: sunrise gold, the russet and green of apple orchards, azure of waves, the greyfringed fleece of clouds. No, it was not their colours: it was the poise and balance of the period itself. Did he then love the rhythmic rise and fall of words better than their associations of legend and colour? Or was it that, being as weak of sight as he was shy of mind, he drew less pleasure from the reflection of the glowing sensible world through the prism of a language manycoloured and richly storied than from the contemplation of an inner world of individual emotions mirrored perfectly in a lucid supple periodic prose?
>>
File: 1452625319052.jpg (634KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1452625319052.jpg
634KB, 600x900px
snow, ample, golden, illuminated, Andalusia, sunset, zephyr, lithophone
>>
>>7577054
Big

Guy

Four

You
>>
bathos, requite, propitiate, invidious, redolent, sidereal.

I like archaic dictionaries.
>>
>>7577054
Will we ever run out of ways to arrange words in an english languague work, enough at least so that it is its own distinctive book?
>>
>>7577054
Reddit.
>>
>>7577141
w2c? archaic dictionary i mean
>>
>>7577054
Anticipate
Dulcet
Museum
Contemplate

It's a tie between Gass and Joyce.
>>
>>7577054
Who is this semen demon?
>>
Halcyon
Clandestine
sinecure
Riposte
>>
Gold
Lingering
Brood
Demure
Clandestine
Persnickety
>>
>>7577054
I guess the first words that come to mind must be my favorite.

However
Pedant
Exalted
Simply
Virtuous
>>
>>7577119
uuuu mr masketta
>>
Clarity
Caprice
Reverie
Redundant
Auspice
>>
Sycamore
Valetudinarian
Conflagration
Vehement (Twain, Innocents Abroad)
Ecclesiastical (Dosto, TBK)
Abscond
Obfuscate
Languish
Echelon
Minutiae
Callipygian :^)
Mawkish/Saccharine
Fervid
good ol' 'Lament'
Redolent (DFW uses occasionally in his works)
>>
albeit
in lieu
concur
hark
bashful
irksome
precipice
cadaver
coprophilia
perdition
purgatory
erroneous
purloin
>>
Kafkaesque
>>
ITT: words I will be sure to never use again
>>
>>7577054

Febrile
Fasciculating
Grecian
Recalcitrant
Sibilant
Cabal

Joseph Heller uses good ones in Catch-22. They have a real pop and rhythm to them. Obviously Nabokov in Lolita, but he can be a bit airy since he's writing from the POV of Humbert. John Williams' "Stoner" is amazing.
>>
I seriously think the best word in the English language is pale.
>>
and
the
hello
to
want
there
what
I
you
they
red
car

>>7577663
good luck
>>
>>7577690
I saw pale kings and princes too,
Pale warriors, death-pale were they all;
They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci
Hath thee in thrall!’
>>
may I draw your attention to the word "question"?
there's an intellectual quest involved in a question. I like that idea
>>
File: Bjork_-_Homogenic_album_cover.jpg (168KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Bjork_-_Homogenic_album_cover.jpg
168KB, 400x400px
Sparkle
>>
>>7577738
>>7577663
>>7577690
Seriously, fuck all this vocabulary flexing.
The words that really paint vivid and clear pictures or atmospheres are ones people can understand and visualize easily

Gale
Valiant
Dusk
Somber
>>
My favorite thing about words is when they sound like what they mean, so my favorite word overall is terse because it sounds terse
>>
>>7578046
There's a word for that. I'm sure someone more intelligent and/or has a better memory than I can enlighten you.

As for words, I like "melancholy" a whole bunch. And "had";

James, while John had had 'had', had had 'had had'; 'had had' had had a better effect on the teacher.
>>
>>7577385
>>7577681
The only people ITT who actually read the OP all the way through.

You're supposed to include a writer who uses the best words you fucking dolts.
>>
>>7577639
O obfuscate is really good

>>7578098
I read the whole OP but I couldn't pick any one author or work. How silly. I guess maybe Mark Twain, I read quite a few of his books and essays as a child and he inspired my love of words
>>
File: relax bro.jpg (5KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
relax bro.jpg
5KB, 284x177px
>>7578098
whoa dude its just 4chan, no need to flip out
>>
>>7577054
Semen
Demon

the only words coming to me right now tbqh
>>
File: 1447273191410.png (683KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1447273191410.png
683KB, 960x720px
>>7578151
>being calm on the internet
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7578151
>saving a thumbnail
>telling people on the internet to relax
Wanna know how I know you're new here?
>>
Ephemeral
Black
Almighty
Terrestrial
Mire

¡Bonus Round! :

Shafted
>>
>>7578098
either/or. I was originally going to ask just the former but thought it would be interesting to hear which author has a great vocabulary as well.
>>
Regarding impressive vocabulary Anthony Burgess comes to mind. And no, not because of fucking "Nadsat" you preteens.
>>
Puritanical
Obfuscate
Alkaline
Pearlescent
Ashen
Demure
Lecherous
Benthic

Joyce or Faulkner
>>
>>7577054
something about this picture I really like. Can I save it? where did you find it?
>>
Detritus
>>
File: 9591398.jpg (40KB, 316x475px) Image search: [Google]
9591398.jpg
40KB, 316x475px
I already answered my favorite words earlier but I couldn't think of an author who really stuck out. It finally came to me, and don't laugh, 'The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland'. It's not literature but it reads beautifully. Valente does a remarkable job in describing Fairyland.
>>
Elhirobromptian

Chigalocoulous

Niberious

Shumaniticial

Kalma

Heterojuminous
>>
>>7578569
s-same anon, you w-wanna be friends?
>>
>>7577054
Spine.
Wonderful.
Oh.
Sewage.
Nothing.
>>
Negress/nigress.

It feels more offensive than nigger because it's used less often. Anyway, here are some cool sounding words. Apologies for how edgy they sound.

Catacomb
Virulent
Sarcophagus
Entomb
Purge
Syncopation
Violator
Secrete
Spinlock
Deadlock
Mutex
Cleave
Hewn
Deconstruct
Obliterate
Insurrection
Pulmonary
Infarction
Contusion
>>
Insolent
Corduroy
Cathartic
Condemn
Mortuary
fortitude
resilient
Morose
>>
I know it's a bit cliche, but I love Edgar Allan Poe's use of language in his works.
>>
who plays scrabble?
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.