[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Philosophical texts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: sea-7.jpg (241KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sea-7.jpg
241KB, 1920x1080px
Why are old philosophical books (eg: the greeks) so dry? it feels like the author is just monotonously reciting his ideas without any passion or a theme that gets you interested in it, compared to some modern literature let's say.
>>
>>7575630
different times. Back then it was already breathtaking to read anything actually written down at all. There were only a few books, so you had much more time to read them.
>>
Plato certainly isn't dry
What is left of Aristotle is his lecture notes

>>7575636
What's your source for your claim? About Greeks being amazed by being able to read books?
>>
>>7575639
>Plato certainly isn't dry
I've found that the socratic method gets old very fast.
>>
>>7575643
Tell me, Anon, being clearly such a wise man yourself, what is it about this method that has lost its charm for you?
>>
>>7575643
>the plethora of imaginative imagery and analogies of the Platonic dialogues
>subtle and complex relationships between characters
>dry
>>
>>7575646
repetitiveness, the long build-up to convey an idea that often manifests as being absurd through examples or "proofs" that may not be entirely convincing, but i suppose ancient greek language had a longer sentence structure than modern english.
>>
>>7575646
>>7575655
I'm not a wise man though, forgot to mention that in my previous post, just my opinion.
>>
>>7575655
>>7575664
Repetitiveness. Now you mentioned that this was boring, dear Anon. I'm very interested in that notion. Is something bad simply because it is boring? Are badness and boringness one and the same? Many men act as if this were so, and perhaps it is. Tell me what you think of the matter.
>>
>>7575682
I did at no point suggest that it was bad, just uninteresting one can say.
>>
>>7575682
You sound like a cunt; and more of a cunt for sounding like you think you might know you sort of sound like a cunt
>>
>>7575655
"When something seems boring or has to be explained away as convention, it means that the interpreter has given up and has taken his place among the ranks of those who Plato intended to exclude from the center of his thought.

It is always that which strikes us as commonplace or absurd which indicates that we are not open to one of the mysteries, for such sentiments are the protective mechanisms which prevent our framework from being shaken."

- some introduction to Plato.

It's ok brotha, we've all been there.
>>
>>7575630
Wut. Plato wrote in a far more lively style than the vast majority of philosophers writing today.
>>
on related note, this might be a dumb question, but i'm reading the four dialogues, the trial and death of socrates, and i'm wondering if these conversations are made-up? or are they vague depictions of conversations plato might have witnessed?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.