[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm not a trained reader or anything, but it seems my main

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1442284968620.jpg (40KB, 460x466px) Image search: [Google]
1442284968620.jpg
40KB, 460x466px
I'm not a trained reader or anything, but it seems my main takeaway from most literature is a completely incommunicable "feeling" more than anything else, like a song gives you

I don't really know what it is, does anyone interested in criticism or analysis have a term for this? I often wonder if people get the same "feeling" from books as me.

Infinite Jest means something to me on a completely abstract level .. is it different to everyone?

sorry if this gets posted alot or is completely stupid
>>
n-no not really

if you can't form it into words then that's probably not a sign of the nature of the thing that you have read
>>
>>7574039
That just means you should read more. Maybe then you'll get a vocabulary.
>>
Well you're not describing the feeling at all, so it's hard for us to say. What do you mean by feeling? Do you mean an emotion or a sense? What are its effects on you? We can't read your mind y'know.
>>
>>7574164
Well, it's not really directly comparable to anything
I guess it's like if you had another sense, in a way, it's like every book has a taste -- only I don't mean that, I don't mean synesthesia

but it's like every book has this one unified feeling or vibe that encapsulates everything in it? and when you ponder it you feel entirely submerged in this vibe like an altered state
>>
>>7574711
Yeah, I do understand what you're saying. I think the closest thing there is to me is the feeling of specific locations, a sense of place if you would.
>>
>>7574726
That's actually a perfect comparison...

so is this not a commonly considered aspect of literature?
>>
>>7574039
Feeling a fraction of the Mystics, collective unconscious, ect.
Stuff like this has been mentioned plenty of times.
>>
>>7574735
I'd say it's part of all art... I suppose the right word would be 'atmosphere'?
>>
File: 1363135121328.jpg (195KB, 640x501px) Image search: [Google]
1363135121328.jpg
195KB, 640x501px
>>7574039
Read more and you'll be able to explain it
I know what you mean when it comes to abstract paintings though
That's probably because I don't have any knowledge of that kind of art
pic unrelated
>>
>>7574039
Yes, it's called "affect theory"
>>
I've never understood OP's picture. Why that caption?

He looks like some scrawny dork. It's not fitting at all.
>>
>>7576492
>He looks like some scrawny dork
that's the point. he's a skinny aussie teen that somehow joined isis and died
>>
>>7576492
>implying drug users are ripped

>>7574039
language is inherently limited. i feel the exact same way when i try to articulate how i create music/fictional worlds in my head, or how some art makes me feel in some ways. language can't translate that internal feeling to other people without losing so much of the information I want others to know. The closest you could get were if I could use images and music at the same time, but even then it might make others feel a different feeling than I do.

basically, i don't believe it's that you lack the vocabulary to express yourself, i believe it's that language can't express these notions in any satisfactory way because they're so subtle/fundamental/abstract, and that they could very well differ wildly from person to person. the only way i could really show someone else how it feels is if they jump into my brain for a minute or some shit.

a good example of this idea though would be from a time i was sitting in a gas station with another person. it was lashing rain outside, and they said "imagine if this was america, or spain, or something". whenever i pretended that we were in that country, the atmosphere felt really different, like there was a context outside of my visual frame that coloured what I saw, and the ambience associated with it.

it's a very difficult thing to articulate
>>
>>7574100
>he doesn't think in abstractions and struggle to pigeon-hole his ideas into predefined and prejudged word boxes
Ugh fucking plebians
>>
>>7576492

In what way is it not fitting?
>>
>>7574039
You are describing the feeling of aesthetic pleasure which stems from all art.
>>
>>7576544
>>7576568
Because drugs are reserved for the cool kids.

He is clearly a nerd.
>>
>>7576579

>someone will actually bite this 1/10 bait

wew
>>
File: dragonballs.jpg (44KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
dragonballs.jpg
44KB, 720x404px
>>7574039
>>
I have noticed that what I can describe as a feeling is just the minds way of performing a type of mentat operation. That is to say if you are thinking something out using words instead of abstractions then it will be a much slower process. When you think in pure ideas you seemingly understand a concept or problem very quickly.

When you think you often do so using words, which are basically the variables to all the ideas that we can comprehend using our senses. However you do have the ability to think without using language or words in just abstractions. I find this a much faster way of thinking something through. It is after these abstractions that I can then use my language and vocabulary skills to put my abstractions into words. I find them to be quite logical.

With a little bit of introspection and observation I have noticed that thinking in abstractions is what I do before I put things into words. I believe that most people of a normal intelligence level do this without even realizing it.
>>
>>7577848
Hahahaha that pic is fucking jokes
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.