[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys I just checked out Anna Karenina from the library, I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: download (7).jpg (6KB, 181x279px) Image search: [Google]
download (7).jpg
6KB, 181x279px
Hey guys I just checked out Anna Karenina from the library, I've never read a full novel by Tolstoy only some of his short stories. What should I expect? Will it blow my dick off?
>>
dont think about how long it is

just read it

it's good

if you have pic related the translation isn't ideal but it's not nearly a big as deal as some people make it out to be
>>
>>7572885
>Anna Karenina meme
HE FELL FOR IT
>>
>>7572890
Yeah it's the only copy they had
>>
>>7572885
I was reluctant to read a book about a woman but I'm glad I did. The parts with Levin hunting with his dog or mowing grain at his farm are just so damn comfy. Plus all the parts with Vronsky being alpha as fuck.
>>
>>7572885

Side question. The other night I watched the movie on Netflix. It was so fucking theatrical.

I've never read Tolstoy, either, but I thought his big thing was realism?

I know, I know, it's a movie. But this was over the top theatrical. Is his writing as theatrical as the movie made him seem?

Also, side note: I'm happy Anna killed herself because she was a huge cunt.
>>
>>7573204
I'm not too sure. The only things I read by him were some Christian related things that were written later in his life so I think that's probably not an accurate presentation of the writing I his novels and stuff he wrote earlier
>>
>>7572885
Anna Karenina is easily in the top 3 best books I've ever read. It's not a meme. If it's not too late I'll suggest Maude's, or Bartlett of you're looking for something newer. Avoid p&v for Russian if you can.

>>7573204
Realism refers to an honest description of life and its banalities instead of romanticising them for the sake of grandeur. It can be incredibly refreshing when you've read a lot of post modernism, genre fiction, etc.
>>
>>7573204
there are some comic elements to his descriptions of the vanities of bureaucrats and the decadence and silliness of Moscow and Petersburg society
but he also has plenty of introspective moments where he is after psychological realism, so I'd say there was a mix, much like in Shakespeare's tragedies he has comic relief scenes
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.