[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Huckleberry Finn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: BrehmHFCover.jpg (46KB, 400x603px) Image search: [Google]
BrehmHFCover.jpg
46KB, 400x603px
So, I'm audiobooking this novel.

I read it in high school when I was 15, but I couldn't get into it and even had to cheat using Sparknotes just because I couldn't understand what was going on.

24, now, reading it as part of my classic literature pilgrimage, and while I understand what's going on, it's just so goddamn BORING.

Please tell me there's a theme, underlying message or symbolism that I'm not seeing so I can enjoy it. Just got to the part where they picked up the Duke and the King. I've heard someone say this is the Great American Novel, but so far, it's just a bunch of unstrung adventures featuring bland one-off characters. The only stuff I like is the relationship with Huck and Jim
>>
>>7569732
It's the Great American novel because it doesn't mean anything and Americans don't do anything t b h
>>
>>7569739
Wow, never got a post this fast, before.

Strong point, lol.

Anyone else?
>>
You're probably just a moron with no idea how to read basic elements of literature.

>Just got to the part where they picked up the Duke and the King. I've heard someone say this is the Great American Novel, but so far, it's just a bunch of unstrung adventures featuring bland one-off characters. The only stuff I like is the relationship with Huck and Jim
>>
>>7569803
Okay, so I am missing something.

You gonna tell me what it is, or are you just gonna keep pretending to be superior because you have a liberal arts degree?
>>
>>7569739
>>7569732
>symbolism
>unstrung adventures
>one off characters

There's some great satire and commentary on children and adults. I only read some of the beginning, but from what I read I think it's beloved because its the comfiest book alive.

I just couldn't get over how well he wrote kids and kid logic, and how its like a small time capsule. To each your own, but i don't think that huckleberry finn is supposed to be some sort of "pilgrimage" or revelation.

The experience of Huck Finn is the EXPERIENCE of the characters in an adventure. Its not -from what i know- meant to be deeply cerebral.
>>
>>7569732
It may seem outdated and hard to get into if you are not familiar with the style of writing in that period but if you do get into it, it is a stepping stone into the Western Canon.
>>
>>7569732
lurk more
>>
>>7569813
I'm in highschool you mong. Typical philistine response though, disparaging post secondary institution.

The book is a satirical picaresque tale, its "unstrung adventures" "bland one-off characters" serve commentary on society at large at the time it was written, and there is the arc of protagonist Huck Finn which is both a loss of innocence/coming of age story and a struggle between the morals of old American Society (ie string the nigga up !!!) and the new independent morals (Huck making moral choices for himself with Jim and the con men even knowing the world he was raised in wouldn't approve ("Okay, i'll go to hell
) of a new America that represents if not progress, departure form the country's roots.)

BUT it's also just FUNNY and FUN
it's a BOYS ADVENTURE story and opens with a foreward from the author telling you not to look at the book like a piece of "SERIOUS" LITERATURE, and there's really no need to. the social commentary is not pointed enough to be a serious critique. it's an adventure story.

also fuck you don't bother reading you seem like a proper fucking retard
>>
>>7569833
>>7569837
Alright, thank you.

>>7569850
Wut?

>>7569872
Could have said those things without all the silly insults, dude.
>>
>>7569925
>Could have said those things without all the silly insults, dude.
No, I think you needed to hear them
>>
>>7570266
Is this the same anon? If not, why did I need to hear them?
>>
>>7570266
You still there?
>>
>>7570528
Are you ok anon?
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.