[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/ can anyone recommend a book for me that is like American

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: AmericanPsychoBook.jpg (24KB, 256x392px) Image search: [Google]
AmericanPsychoBook.jpg
24KB, 256x392px
Hey /lit/ can anyone recommend a book for me that is like American Psycho? I loved the book and all the aspects of it but am sad that it is ended and want something to fill that hole in my reads.
>>
just go to BEE's twitter feed. he never shuts up on there
>>
>>7569714
Start with his other fiction. Glamorama and The Informers are his best besides that one. If you're just looking for something as visceral and fucked up, Blood Meridian. Something very fucked up that has a similar sense of humor and deranged pathology would be Naked Lunch. Now that I think it over, those two books actually have quite a bit in common.
>>
>>7570443

The Talented Mr Ripley perhaps?
>>
Fight Club seems right up your alley.
>>
>>7570582
Was about to suggest this.

Possibly Liaisons Dangereuses. The late ancien regime had this fun mood of morbid hedonism.
>>
>>7569714
It's a bad book that was meant to appeal to proto-hipster shits in the 80s and now only appeals to manchildren who go to gore sites and /r9k/. It is a litmus test for pseudo-intellectuals and the fact that you like it automatically drops you into pleb tier
>>
>>7570645
What is the purpose of the surprise box in this post?
>>
>>7570672
>surprise box

Jesus christ
>>
>>7570645
>using this many buzzwords in a single post
Dear god feel bad about yourself.
>>
>>7570645
nah it's just a really good and fun book that very vividly takes you into someone else's mind and time period in a way that few other books can.
>>
>>7570693
He must be an arrival friend.
>>
>>7570645

I feel extremely sorry for you. The comedic aspects of the novel aside, American Psycho is essentially a satirical critique of rampant excessive consumerism/materialism, capitalism and yuppie culture. It includes many elements of class warfare and touches on issues of race as well as sex. It is much more than just some edgy novel and the people who can't see that are imbeciles.
>>
>>7571009
epic
>>
The girl with curious hair,Dfw. It's a collection of short stories, the one specifically titled 'girl with curious hair' is remarkably similar to american psycho in tone.
>>
>>7570645
>stop liking things that I don't like

American Psycho one of those books which is so cool to dislike that people love to deny their enjoyment of it

if it was the 'patrician' opinion to like American Psycho, or if was an obscure novel, you'd probably change your opinion of it, like Batman does towards brittle red snapper pizza
>>
>>7569714
Kill Your Friends, most things by John Niven feel incredibly familiar.
>>
>>7570746
>few other books can
read more
>>
>>7569714
Jim Thompson's Killer Inside Me and POP. 1280 make this book look like the piece of trash it is. Also the works of Derek Raymond, James Ellroy's Killer on the Road, and some of the later Ripley books...
>>
Ryu Murakami - In the Miso Soup
>>
My livejournal, probably
>>
>>7570443
the informers is in the bottom two bro.
glamorama lunar park rules of attraction less than zero > > > > informers >>>>>>>>>>> imperial bedrooms
>>
Something by Palahniuk. He has the same satire-esque of his novels that Ellis does.
>>
>>7570443

Glamorama is a god awful mess and Informers is dull, avoid
>>
>>7571009
it's not like the book bludgeons you over the head with that, and then accentuates the symbolism by using a wide gauge drill on a hookers mouth and a hamster tube on her snatch.

You are the psued referred to earlier in this thread.
>>
>>7574381
it does sort of 'bludgeon you over the head with that', that's why he describes everything by brand name in the first place. The first half of the book has barely any violence in it at all

of course Bateman dwells for whole chapters on killing prostitutes etc, it's the only thing he finds real pleasure in

not him btw, it's like a 6/10 book but I don't really understand the criticism that there's too much edge. He's a psycho, after all
>>
>>7569714
Less thsn zero is by the same author and has a similar premise. Regards materialism etc its good check it out
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.