[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the point of the dust jacket?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: Dust_jacket[1].jpg (381KB, 556x570px) Image search: [Google]
Dust_jacket[1].jpg
381KB, 556x570px
Whats the point of the dust jacket?
>>
To protect the book from dust, damages, and getting dirty. It's mainly relevantly useful in the shipping and storage process of the book.
>>
>>7567720
>dust jacket
>DUST jacket

Make a guess.
>>
The kind of cloth binding used on many books before the 1940s was textured, not smooth ,and during shipping dust would get in it and cling to it making books rapidly look dirty and worn even when they were not. A lot of booksellers discarded dust jackets before selling the book, regardless of the condition.
>>
>>7567839
okay that's reasonable, but is there any point of not throwing these jackets to the garbage once they arrived?
>>
I use the flaps as bookmarks
>>
>>7567949
Like I said, lots of booksellers did, but if they did it nowadays people would refuse to buy the books. There is less reason to have dust jackets these days with improved shipping and materials but they are an expected 'luxury' feature.
>>
>>7567949
They can be very valuable to book collectors.
>>
>>7567990
>>7567996
Okay, here's my question. I love hardcover books. I love the look and feel of them. But I hate dust jackets. They just don't look right on a hardcover because I feel like a hardcover isn't supposed to have illustrations on it that aren't engraved or something. So what you guys are saying is I should probably keep the dust jackets in a drawer somewhere but there's no harm in keeping a book on the shelf without its dust jacket?
>>
>>7568102
It's also cheaper.
>>
>>7567720
ask the dust
>>
>>7568102
I collect art/photo books and illustrated classics; I keep all the dust jackets in a box just in case I decide to sell something later.
>>
>>7568102
I use them as bookmarks with the flaps

I am positive about them since they do serve a purpose
>>
some book covers are super loose and annoying
>>
>>7571248
That's the thing. It's counter intuitive since the jacket is supposedly there to protect the book but is way more fragile than the book itself and when you're reading you have to be super careful not to bend the edges or tear the jacket. Just irritating desu.

Some jackets look cool but 90% of the time the book looks and feels better unjacketed.
>>
>he isn't paperbackmasterrace
>>
>>7571256
>not kindle
>not saving the amazon
fuck off
>>
>>7571264
>destroying your eyesight for the sake of vastly reduced retention

top pleb
>>
File: 1406233014946.gif (3MB, 291x300px) Image search: [Google]
1406233014946.gif
3MB, 291x300px
>>7567949
that's always what i do when i buy a used book. library books always have a massive diaper on them and first thing i do is tear them shits off son
>>
>>7571270
>what is e-ink
>>
>>7567720
To slide around while you're reading and generally annoy the living shit out of you
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.