[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to become a good writer in two years?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 5

File: 1442358512001.png (10KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1442358512001.png
10KB, 500x500px
Is it possible to become a good writer in two years?
>>
>>7566359
it is very possible to become a better writer than you are in now in 2 years.

read and write everyday.
>>
>>7566359
My knee-jerk response is "absolutely not."

My considered response is: "where is your starting point?"

My own writing only matured after about three years of drivel (started seriously at 17). Rimbaud, Pessoa, Dylan Thomas and other precocious writers started reading and writing much earlier, as children. And they are the exceptional cases, bear in mind.
>>
>>7566373
21 and don't write fiction regularly
>>
>>7566373
i seriously doubt it's really matured, whats more likely is that you're just 20 now. but you're right, just keep writing OP. if you realize that you're writing is shit, it means you're improving mentally
>>
>>7566379
How much do you read, is the sleeper question. As other guy said, it's possible to become better in 2 years, but being "good" is another matter.
>>7566381
I'm 22, I say this only to put my comment in perspective.
>>
>>7566373
>Rimbaud

Technically proficient but not a top tier poet. Poets who stop really young often have limited universal power, and Rimbaud is a staple of this rule, not an exception. I still like him.

> Pessoa

I personally think he was a very mediocre poet

> Dylan Thomas

literally a non-poet
>>
>>7566391
25 to 50 books a year. no trash but maybe a high tier genre book or two.
>>
>>7566359

Answer is no.

If you had what it took to become a good writer you'd be writing, not wondering how long it would take to become "good".
>>
>>7566395
>dylan thomas
>non-poet
the fuck?
>>
>>7566359

It is entirely possible for someone like a Melville to become a great writer in two years after reading incessantly and reading far better than most of his peers.

It is entirely possible you could spend 2000 years reading and writing and never write a single chapter up to par with Moby-Dick.

It's really up to how intelligently you read books, what you have to say, how well you assimilate your forefathers, how original your writing is, and whether you have the basic talent.
>>
>>7566405

he's a poet for people who don't actually want to think while reading a poem

literally what he writes is what you get, he had almost no sense of poetics, no ability to think like a poet, and as a result even his two famous poems that everyone hails as his best are trite and subpar to even a bunch of rock lyrics.

And don't defend his later Welsh harmony poems either, because those are just the same.
>>
File: 1424772522602.jpg (84KB, 1080x540px) Image search: [Google]
1424772522602.jpg
84KB, 1080x540px
>>7566359
10000 hours m8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT3wLBjq53w
>>
>>7566359
2 years is a little short to git gud, but loads of good writers don't start writing until their 20s after a childhood and adolescence of serious reading.
>>
>>7566395
>>7566416
I must disagree with you on Thomas and Pessoa. I won't ask you to define "poetics" or "thinking like a poet." In the end your definition of those terms will be a result of your reading, and my definition a result of my own.

>>7566398
That's good. You're reading a book every 1-2 weeks, which is actually quite fast. I hope you are retaining a lot of it. If you start writing 30 minutes or an hour each day, you may see progress. Make sure to get quality feedback.
>>
>>7566416
he's literal in a thematic sense i guess. but then a lot of famous poets are. are you sure you aren't talking about thinking "novelistically" or "philosophically" or something?
>>
>>7566359
kill yourself, frog-posting faggot
>>
I write stuff and send it to my brother. He laughs and tells me he would read more. Does this mean I'm a good writer? Of the few bits of criticism I've got in my stuff in the critique thread no one had outright told me it's shit...

Basically, how can I tell if I have enough talent to make writing a worthwhile hobby?
>>
>>7566359
Why are those froges sad? :(
>>
>>7566373
you talk like a cock

who would want to accept your values
>>
>>7566530
make things that make you happy and stop giving a shit about other people's opinions

otherwise you'll die never having achieved what you wanted to do
>>
>>7566534
It's my friend Pepe the frog and his mother. they are friends with feel man Wojack.

They are /r9k/ memes about feelings, such as against women, and for neet lifestyle and anime girls instead of real.

sometimes pepe the frog is happy because he shits on wojack (this is a meme, very funny on /r9k/ where he pisses and shits on wojack just because he can hehe)

We dont like it when normies (this means people who have active social life and aren't full of ressentiment) use pepe to their own degenerate ways.

pepe must remain pure
>>
>>7566544
He's a very nice meme my friend :)
>>
>>7566540
Thanks. I really do mostly just enjoy the actual process of writing.
>>
File: 2635721.png (203KB, 1195x602px) Image search: [Google]
2635721.png
203KB, 1195x602px
>>7566447
>LE NORMIES TOOK R MEMES OH NO
>>
>>7566540
might as well just spend your whole life masturbating then
>>
>>7566650
wtf do you think a liberal arts degree is for dumbass
>>
Writing is a craft that can be learned like anything else.
Not sucking at any given craft generally takes 2-3 years, being good takes 5-7 years, 10-15 years to kind of cap out your skill and after that it's all refinement of mastery.

skillful effort + time = gitting gud
>>
>>7566707
Not exactly. You need to have a talent for writing, and you need to work at it.

Some people will always be bad writers.
>>
>>7566635
I want all you /r9k/ losers off this board
>>
No.

Watch this scene and take it to heart OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxTRCPKFltE

Don't listen to any of the plebs on this board when it comes to writing.

If you don't have the magic, fuck off.
>>
>>7566769
lol dude don't listen to that losers who write xD just check this movie I saw it's all in there xDDDDD
>>
>>7566777
A pop reference that is true, is still true.
>>
>>7566779
>le tautology man
>>
>>7566785
I guess I hit a nerve with the patrician™ /lit/erati.

Stay a pleb writer, just remember that you got told once.
>>
What's the point of being "Good" if you can't sell? Learn how to write popular fiction.
>>
I started writing seriously in 2013. The difference in quality between how I wrote then and how I write now is pretty astounding.
>>
>>7566723
talent does not exist.
>>
File: 1434590407670.jpg (199KB, 1067x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1434590407670.jpg
199KB, 1067x1600px
>>7567185
Sorry, but that's bullshit.

(pic related) could sadly never become a writer because she has microcephaly and a brain incapable of anything but very basic biological functions.

If you concede that there are gradations between (pic related) and "hypothetical normal person", then you acknowledge the existence of talent, at the very least as an absence of deficiency.

But, there are probably realms of talent even above normal.
>>
>>7566810
What's the point of selling if you're not 'good'?
>>
>>7567220
Because you can't attend College your entire life Anon, you've eventually gotta confront real life eventually.
>>
>>7567226
You don't have to live on your books, you know.
>>
>>7567238
And you aren't going to, earning a living wage as a author is next to impossible already and It's only going to get harder as time goes on.

Doesn't stop leftists from trying though.
>>
File: pepe0.jpg (63KB, 500x411px) Image search: [Google]
pepe0.jpg
63KB, 500x411px
>mfw Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein at age 18.
>>
>>7567226
>confront real life eventually
get a load of this cuck
>>
>>7568553
oh, it shows Mary.
It shows.
>>
>>7566359
>two years
topkek

I started writing 30 minutes a day this new year. Just 30 minutes of anything that comes to mind. Really helps a lot. Also read. Not just fiction. I'm starting to get into economics book with writers like Sowell. Also starting to read legal texts and cases.
>>
>>7568567
>I didn't went to school, I went to books.
>>
>>7566395
vary high brow good critique
>>
>Is it possible to become a good writer in two years?
>good

define the parameters by which you measure value and I'll help you answer your questions
>>
>>7568582
Non-Fiction is as important as Fiction. It's commonly said that you should only write what you know, and if even PYNCHON is saying that, then it has to be true. Non-Fiction gives you more to know, and following, more to write.
>>
>>7568582
K...you prolly suck
>>
>>7566723
>le talent meme

Natural affinity only comes in at the higher levels, and perhaps the pace at which you progress.
You won't become the next James Joyce, but that guy is literally in the 1% tier of writers.
Just like you the average person doesn't have the genetic potential to become Mr.Olympia but can become retardly swole way beyond any regular person.

Talent does exist but it value is highly overstated.
>>
>>7567214
Talent doesn't mean capability.
>>
>>7568582
>I'm starting to get into economics book with writers like Sowell. Also starting to read legal texts and cases.

what kind of a post is this
>>
>>7566359
>is it possible to become a good writer in two years

Literally the plot of Jack London's Martin Eden
>>
>>7566359
You can become good in two years, but you can't become a writer in two years. Writing is a lifestyle. Live it.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.