[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /lit/ think of Spinoza?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

What does /lit/ think of Spinoza?
>>
>/lit/
>think
sorry m8
>>
Ethics is a wonderful read.
>>
>>7565677
dubs of truth i guess
>>
>>7565673
I consider myself fortunate to have read him as his Ethics alone sufficed to strengthen my faith in God. It may very well be that men following Spinoza were able to disentangle his arguments and refute them, but to me they were not only irrefutable in mind, but soul and I found myself often times smiling as he expressed something I wished I could myself when asked why or how I believe in God.
>>
Stop talking about Spinoza on /lit/ you stupid fuck. We don't need him to become a "meme" in this shithole.
>>
>>7565699
goddamn. stop getting dubs

but pls explain your position
>>
File: 1440281328006.jpg (38KB, 578x400px) Image search: [Google]
1440281328006.jpg
38KB, 578x400px
Pretty overlooked philosopher historically and even till this day.

>>7565693

Be careful to qualify his defense of God to be a defense of God or Nature.

"Deus sive Natura," God or Nature.

One must be careful not to fall into the trap that is anthropomorphism,
>>
>>7565673
Is there anything besides Ethics by him that are worth reading?
>>
>>7565693
You stupid, stupid motherfucker. Reread the Ethics and replace 'God' with 'Nature' and you'll have a slightly better undertanding of the work. Jesus. I honestly feel a bit bad about breaking this to you. Spinoza's 'God' has almost no resemblance to a sentient, involved God.
>>
>>7565724
Theological-Political Treatise
>>
>>7565714
From what I understood, the terms were interchangeable. It is not God as Jesus Christ that he writes of but God as the primary mover; not an entity of wrath to regard with fear lest a calamity be brought down in furious vengeance, but the source of being responsible for the necessity of all that transpires. I definitely developed a greater sense of contentment with all aspects of my life after reading Spinoza as that point of necessity was among those which I considered irrefutable. The futility of contesting or opposing what is necessarily so became evident and life has been easier with this understanding. Although my understanding of it all is rudimentary at best, I definitely would recommend Spinoza to anyone.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.