[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT FOR NEWCOMERS TO /LIT/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 38

File: -.gif (2MB, 320x384px) Image search: [Google]
-.gif
2MB, 320x384px
This is a public service announcement for all newcomers to /lit/ brought to you by a /lit/ patrician™. Those of us who have long called this board home have noticed a significant deterioration in posting quality and an influx of plebs in the last few months that within the past week has become acute. We can attribute this to the Katie fiasco making the front page of reddit or one of our top 100 book lists being posted on reddit and getting over a million views or other events but whatever we blame it on doesn't change the facts of the matter which is that plebs who don't belong here are shitting threads up.

Thus, this public service announcement was made for those who are determined to stay even if they are way over their heads. Here are some important things you need to get through your head if you are going to stay and post without being ridiculed. Take notes.

1. Under no circumstances will you ever praise any book taught in a standard high school curriculum as anything but an enjoyable read from your past that you don't care much about now. The vast majority of books taught in high-school are complete pleb shit. The only exceptions to this are Nabokov and Conrad as they are taught at some schools.

2. Genre-fiction is pleb trash and anyone who reads it frequently should be curb-stomped. If you are going to post in bookshelf threads then take your GRR Martin et al., off of the shelf before you photograph it you retards. Don't ever mention genre-fiction unless its in a containment thread specifically for it.

3. Israel did 9/11

4. Don't ever defend yourself by inferring or saying that the person ridiculing you is doing the "stop liking what I don't like". This will instantly reveal you to be a mega-pleb. There is objectively bad literature and roughly 85% of the time people here are being honest with you when they say an author you like is trash.

5. Don't ever bring identity politics into threads on /lit/. We are here to discuss literature and not women or minorities. If you want to have a thread asking about favorite women authors thats fine but don't ever attempt to use "all white men etc" as an argument to detract from something. Also don't ever ask why literature from African authors isn't more popular (its mostly shit). Bringing up identity bullshit needlessly irritates even most left-wing /lit/ posters.

6. /Lit/s harsh attitude towards plebs and pleb books is a necessary and vital part of the board as it helps maintain a homeostasis of quality by weeding out and discouraging plebs from posting.

7. Anything by Douglas Addams, Harper Lee, Joseph Heller, Vonnegut, Bret Easton Ellis, Palahniuk, or Orwell is complete pleb trash and not to be mentioned.

8. Start with the Greeks

Brought to you by a /lit/ patrician™. For those of you who are already patricians™, don't give up hope. For those of you who are newcomers, at least try to make it less obvious.
>>
>>7565257
>ywn get that girl pregnant and then disappear
Why even live.
>>
so your girlfriend left you for a teenager who read Camus?
>>
>>7565257

islamic terrorist apologist scum, get on the fucking cross
>>
What's the Katie fiasco?
>>
>>7565257

wow i thought that was a robot at first
>>
thank you for post as i like the girl look at her eyes in downcast as if looking upo wand seeing something a bit differnet maybe knows soemthing mroe you and woundt say in a tanalkzising wosrta way so toy are lkike what> and she just pouchy mouthsd and you want to know but she is secret to you abnd yet she uis knowing but picutre is a too kliw quality trealy I want it better quality so post is not as good as thimnail it needs bettert uqLITY REALLY
>>
>>7565257
This is a public service announcement for all newcomers to /lit/ brought to you by a /lit/ patrician™. Those of us who have long called this board home have noticed a significant deterioration in posting quality and an influx of plebs in the last few months that within the past week has become acute. We can attribute this to the Katie fiasco making the front page of reddit or one of our top 100 book lists being posted on reddit and getting over a million views or other events but whatever we blame it on doesn't change the facts of the matter which is that plebs who don't belong here are shitting threads up.

Thus, this public service announcement was made for those who are determined to stay even if they are way over their heads. Here are some important things you need to get through your head if you are going to stay and post without being ridiculed. Take notes.

1. Under no circumstances will you ever praise any book taught in a standard high school curriculum as anything but an enjoyable read from your past that you don't care much about now. The vast majority of books taught in high-school are complete pleb shit. The only exceptions to this are Nabokov and Conrad as they are taught at some schools.

2. Genre-fiction is pleb trash and anyone who reads it frequently should be curb-stomped. If you are going to post in bookshelf threads then take your GRR Martin et al., off of the shelf before you photograph it you retards. Don't ever mention genre-fiction unless its in a containment thread specifically for it.

3. Israel did 9/11

4. Don't ever defend yourself by inferring or saying that the person ridiculing you is doing the "stop liking what I don't like". This will instantly reveal you to be a mega-pleb. There is objectively bad literature and roughly 85% of the time people here are being honest with you when they say an author you like is trash.

5. Don't ever bring identity politics into threads on /lit/. We are here to discuss literature and not women or minorities. If you want to have a thread asking about favorite women authors thats fine but don't ever attempt to use "all white men etc" as an argument to detract from something. Also don't ever ask why literature from African authors isn't more popular (its mostly shit). Bringing up identity bullshit needlessly irritates even most left-wing /lit/ posters.

6. /Lit/s harsh attitude towards plebs and pleb books is a necessary and vital part of the board as it helps maintain a homeostasis of quality by weeding out and discouraging plebs from posting.

7. Anything by Douglas Addams, Harper Lee, Joseph Heller, Vonnegut, Bret Easton Ellis, Palahniuk, or Orwell is complete pleb trash and not to be mentioned.

8. Start with the Greeks

Brought to you by a /lit/ patrician™. For those of you who are already patricians™, don't give up hope. For those of you who are newcomers, at least try to make it less obvious.
>>
>>7565261
9. No negroes
>>
>>7565267

http://imgur.com/4Az268G
>>
I'm pretty sure the pleb/patrician dichotomy is a /mu/ meme.

>>7565270
Is your gimmick that you're retarded and can't type?
>>
>>7565273
10. No opinions that differentiate from said rules
>>
>>7565257

I fully support this post.
>>
>>7565257
He says, posting a disgusting overage whore
>>
>>7565291

>implying there is such a thing as overage when there will always be people of a certain age that are good fits for people of other ages.

Yeah she may look between 26 and 32 and that would be overage for a 21 year old male but for a 40 year old looking to settle down with a wife thats prime material my man.
>>
>>7565278
>I'm pretty sure the pleb/patrician dichotomy is a /mu/ meme.

you must not have been going on /lit for very long huh
>>
>>7565276
Can you link me the reddit page?
>>
File: derrida.jpg (13KB, 221x308px) Image search: [Google]
derrida.jpg
13KB, 221x308px
>>7565257
>Also don't ever ask why literature from African authors isn't more popular (its mostly shit)

In the previous points, you construct popularity and artistic merit as mutually exclusive categories. You say to forget genre-fiction, books taught in most high schools, and so on. Then, in the point that is supposed to forbid identity politics, you incorporate a personal bias against an entire swath of the earth's population (ie. you indulge in identity politics) and correlate the quality of their writing with their popularity or lack thereof.

Your announcement is internally unstable. The parts do not cohere. In fact, they actively negate each other. They are edicts which undermine the very grounds upon which edicts can be staged. You will have to go back to the drawing board, scrub. You are not the patrician you seem.
>>
>>7565318
Nope, all women are trash over 16, most are by 14.
>>
>>7565318
>26-32
>prime female breeding age
I'm glad there are dorks like you to pacify all the sluts I didn't want to keep.
>>
>>7565340
literally reported.
>>
>7
>>
>>7565343
Not him but why are you such a faggot? Are you about to fuck me with the long dick of reportation too?
>>
File: derrida11.jpg (5KB, 207x283px) Image search: [Google]
derrida11.jpg
5KB, 207x283px
>>7565319
>In the previous points, you construct popularity and artistic merit as mutually exclusive categories

nowhere did they state or construct that, you seem to have drawn a false conclusion based on your assumptions

>you incorporate a personal bias against an entire swath of the earth's population (ie. you indulge in identity politics) and correlate the quality of their writing with their popularity or lack thereof.

I don't see any evidence of a bias in OP's post. As anyone who has participated in those types of threads before knows the reason there isn't much high-quality African literature is because most of Africa has had a literary tradition for way less time then other nations and cultures and most of it has to do with colonialism anyway which quickly becomes trite. Not even OP but that is demonstrated in those threads so often thats its not even worth mentioning and I'm pretty sure that was the reason for OP writing that and not any bias on behalf of OP, notice that they didn't say that all of its shit only that most of it is which is what one would expect base on the reasons mentioned.

>go back to the drawing board, scrub. You are not the patrician you seem.
In fact, you reveal yourself to be only an imitation of a true patrician™ with your sloppy analysis of OPs public service announcement. Assuming OP had a racist bias and thinking that they implied that popularity and artistic merit are mutually exclusive were the two central points of your post and yet both are false.
>>
>buyfag threads
>bookshelf threads
>bumped google doc for /lit/ meme book
>dfw shitposting
>should i read this
>critique threads

all cancer that existed before any influx you describe.
>>
quality has cratered lately

the philosophy discussions kept this place honest, i never participated, but they've been replaced with literal shit
>>
>>7565364
is meant for
>>7565332

who deleted his post because of his plebishness only for someone else to post it to shame him
>>
>>7565365

yeah but that stuff was mostly tolerable but now even in the good threads plebs abound
>>
>>7565342

when you are 35-45 you arn't interested in 22 year olds as anything more then fucktoys
>>
>>7565377
reel wymn xddd CURBS
See: >>7565334
>>
>>7565257
Quality post
>>
>>7565257
unironically in favor of all of these
>>
>>7565383

yeah but if you are tall, intelligent, and handsome and want to pass on your genes and raise your children the right way you gotta pick someone and being able to sample around before picking someone is better then being with your 8th grade gf your whole life.
>>
>>7565388
>all these spooks
>>
>>7565257
I agree but you are a fucking faggot.
>>
>>7565257
>The only exceptions to this are Nabokov and Conrad as they are taught at some schools.
>no Steinbeck

pleb instantly detected
>>
>>7565257
What about "middlebrow" as defined earlier.
>>
>>7565403
>nitpicking when the survival of our board is at stake
>>
>>7565403
If you were a patrician you would know what happened on the Nobel board aNo in world opinion to the award after t steinbecks choosing.
>>
>>7565388

but ultimately if thats something you want to do just because it will bring you joy you're doing it for a good reason and not because you are blinded by spooks but even in that case its better to have lived life and dated multiple people instead of being with one girl since childhood

>implying that the belief that all females over 16 are trash isn't absolutely spooky

>>7565403
Steinbeck could have been added as an exception too but he isn't on Nabokov's and Conrad's level
>>
the first part of this post >>7565419

was meant for >>7565393
>>
File: BEE1.png (207KB, 982x817px) Image search: [Google]
BEE1.png
207KB, 982x817px
>>7565257
>Anything by Bret Easton Ellis is complete pleb trash and not to be mentioned.
>>
>>7565405

You can mention it but don't praise it too much, list it as one of your favorite books/authors, or spam too many threads on it. Be humble as fuck when speaking about it so as to not risk a smackdown.
>>
>>7565403
Un-self realized pleb detected
>>
>>7565419
>since childhood
I was 24
>its better to have lived life and dated multiple people
Why.
>Steinbeck could have been added as an exception too but he isn't on Nabokov's and Conrad's level
Too corn-cobby.
>>
>>7565441

He is too corn-cobby but some of his stuff is just above-pleb enough that it can be mentioned every now and then without being made fun of as long as you don't praise it exuberantly, he is at the lower end of the scale of authors you can do this for though
>>
You should be ashamed if you read the following seriously, and you should actively make people who also read the following feeling ashamed:

fantasy
genre-fiction
novelizations of movies, tv shows w/e
YA
Children's literature (harry potter isn't YA, it is a childrens' book series)
tom clancy
dan brown
stephen king
romance

(/lit/ oldfags, we just need to keep putting trash where it belongs and they will eventually leave when they realize this isn't a safe space)
>>
File: dfw12.jpg (307KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
dfw12.jpg
307KB, 1280x960px
>>7565455
>no John Grisham and James Patterson
I don't know how many 60 year olds browse this board but I need to ensure that these meme authors are free from discussion
>>
>>7565455
What's happening is part of a phenomenon I wrote about a couple of years ago when I was asked to comment on Rowling. I went to the Yale University bookstore and bought and read a copy of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I suffered a great deal in the process. The writing was dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing.

But when I wrote that in a newspaper, I was denounced. I was told that children would now read only J.K. Rowling, and I was asked whether that wasn't, after all, better than reading nothing at all? If Rowling was what it took to make them pick up a book, wasn't that a good thing?

It is not. "Harry Potter" will not lead our children on to Kipling's "Just So Stories" or his "Jungle Book." It will not lead them to Thurber's "Thirteen Clocks" or Kenneth Grahame's "Wind in the Willows" or Lewis Carroll's "Alice."

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

- Harold Bloom

You sir are part of the cancer that must be burnt out.
>>
>>7565464
You keep those names out your mouth anon!! Why would you summon them here?
>>
>>7565464
i couldnt think of everyone.
this board is a respite from the people i live and work with that literally think harry potter trivia is okay beyond the age of 14
>>
File: 1445182004999.jpg (330KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1445182004999.jpg
330KB, 960x1280px
>>7565455

I agree 100% brotha
>>
>>7565464
those are genre fiction
>>
>>7565343
>implying all the /lit/ mods and janitors didn't jump the bus to /his/
>>
File: this generation's vonnegut.jpg (35KB, 381x252px) Image search: [Google]
this generation's vonnegut.jpg
35KB, 381x252px
>>7565474
let my post be the last usage of them on this board. It is a necessary purge that shall wipe the slate clean. make /lit/ great again
>>
File: burning-sage.jpg (72KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
burning-sage.jpg
72KB, 500x334px
>>7565491

and so it was done
>>
>>7565403
>Picking Steinbeck when Dos Passos is his political equivalent and a far more interesting writer
>>
>>7565514
oh shit i so want the smell of incense in my life right now ;_;
>>
>>7565388
There are plenty of college-aged and slightly older girls who have the potential to be good mothers and wives without being over the hill in looks. If you don't understand how to be the leading man to a less mature woman in a relationship then you deserve all the pain and subpar sex that's coming your way.
>>
>>7565558
>then you deserve all the pain and subpar sex that's coming your way

no one deserves that you bully
>>
>>7565558
>you guise jus cant handle a reel womyn!!
>>
>>7565555

nice quads, you can buy both sage and nag champa for pretty cheap at most herb stores
>>
>>7565574
Yeah, dominating beautiful young women is pretty progressive and counterintuitive.
>>
>>7565558

1. good 25 year olds are better in bed then good 21 year olds

2. not even saying you can't get a wife that 20 years younger then you but thats just not how it works out for most people, even people that post online about how they want a 22 year old wife are not intellectually attracted to at least 75% of 22 year olds they meet in real life if they are in their 30s plus most 22 year old girls are not interested in getting married. Marrying someone you think is dull or stupid just for the sex would become a living hell.
>>
>>7565589
How did you get that from my (shit)post? A relationship should consist of two people that complement each other, not being a beta pussy worshiper or a dominating, insincere Chad.
>>
File: 1430932276310.png (24KB, 377x561px) Image search: [Google]
1430932276310.png
24KB, 377x561px
>there are people on /lit/ getting laid right now

Y-you guys are j-just pretending right? R-ree
>>
File: wow.jpg (13KB, 474x349px) Image search: [Google]
wow.jpg
13KB, 474x349px
>>7565619
>there are people simultaneously having sex and browsing /lit/ right now
teach me
>>
>>7565257
man OP is a bitch just liek mrs.habeshaw
>>
>>7565600
>25 year olds are better in bed than 21 year olds
The 21 year old will be 25 before you know it, and 30 after that. Might as well enjoy every facet of her youth.

>intellectually attracted
If she's an idiot at 21 will she really be a cultured and well-spoken lady at 26? Maybe the problem isn't the woman's age, but that your social circles don't include women smart enough for you. That or you have unrealistic expectations for women.

>>7565605
>insincere Chad
Oh my. You must have never been close to old people in your life. "Chad" behavior has been the foundation of so many lifelong marriages it's unbelievable.
>>
>>7565455

I enjoy about half of that stuff and will continue to do so.

Knowing that the autists of /lit/ throw hissy fits over it makes enjoy that stuff even more.
>>
>>7565558
Women are women: disgusting old hags.
>>7565600
All women are disgusting whores.
>>
>>7565632

Hey man you don't have to steadfastly defend the idea of marrying a 21 year old when you are 35, I'm not saying its automatically bad, its just that it doesn't happen much for a reason and there are some potential risks that likely wont be there with a 24 or 25 year old. Again, you don't have to defend it though.
>>
File: 1345010853081.jpg (139KB, 579x527px) Image search: [Google]
1345010853081.jpg
139KB, 579x527px
>>7565641

more like we will continue on reading patrician literature and laughing at and feeling pity for those who read pleb trash

its your loss and not ours after all
>>
>>7565648
See: >>7565642
>>
/lit/ would be a better board if "patricians" actually explained why they don't like The Fault in Our Stars outside of "you're not supposed to like it" and "plebeians" defended their enjoyment of The Fault of Our Stars outside of "you just hate fun"
>>
>>7565658

I've probably read 70% of what you consider patrician and I certainly enjoy that stuff as well, but I also enjoy the stuff you consider pleb.

Dan Brown, 95% of romance and YA and about half of Stephen King's stuff I don't really care for though.
>>
>>7565257
/pol/ has truly ruined 4chan.
>>
File: schope10.jpg (19KB, 250x294px) Image search: [Google]
schope10.jpg
19KB, 250x294px
>>7565663

edgy

>>7565667

its not even worth our time though and if you search through the archives using one of the sites like Waruso you can find countless threads of it being BTFO and torn into peices

>>7565668

“One can never read too little of bad, or too much of good books: bad books are intellectual poison; they destroy the mind.

In order to read what is good one must make it a condition never to read what is bad; for life is short, and both time and strength limited.”

― Arthur Schopenhauer, Essays and Aphorisms
>>
>>7565667
It is one of the most pandering books in recent years. It's designed to cover such a wide swath of people who are """"""""""""""unique""""""""""""" (e.g. references Shakespeare in conversation). It's bad art disguised as an "intellectual" YA novel.
>>
>>7565257
>Don't ever defend yourself by inferring or saying
>inferring

High quality /lit/ patrician here
>>
>>7565667
This is a literature board.
The Fault in Our Stars is not literature.
See a problem?
>>
>>7565670

>gets BTFO
>complains
>>
>>7565680
>edgy
muh disgusting overage whores
>>
>>7565682

your correct OP made a mistake, it should have been "insinuate", still an important and much-needed post though
>>
>>7565368
I'm glad the philosophy threads are gone. It was annoying seeing four Nietzsche threads and two Aristotle vs. Plato threads on the front page every other day.

The philosophy threads have been reduced substantially.
>>
>>7565641
Listen, if you want to talk about that stuff you can go to r/books. We can't. Can we just go over to r/books and have discussions on Pynchon or Joyce? Not even memeing, if you want to read that then do it in a more fitting environment.
>>
>>7565715

I've talked about that stuff on here maybe twice in three years. There's really nothing to discuss about them. For the most part I just read and enjoy them.
>>
>>7565730
>There's really nothing to discuss about them

Cool, don't bring them up then.
>>
File: Rqanp4W.jpg (61KB, 960x468px) Image search: [Google]
Rqanp4W.jpg
61KB, 960x468px
>>7565273
>>
>>7565273
see # 5
>>
ITT: autism.
>>
What the fuck is wrong with Orwell?
>>
File: 1425434511717.png (31KB, 510x385px) Image search: [Google]
1425434511717.png
31KB, 510x385px
>>7565257
>Orwell is complete pleb trash and not to be mentioned
>>
File: James Two-Sentences A Day Joyce.jpg (92KB, 800x964px) Image search: [Google]
James Two-Sentences A Day Joyce.jpg
92KB, 800x964px
>>7565257
There is someone retarded enough to write this.

There are anons stupid enough to not ignore obvious bait threads.

There are anons sad enough to organize falseflagging invasions from outside of 4chan.

I think everyone who responds to obvious bait topics should be banned along with the baiters. Even if it means banning everyone in this thread including me.
>>
>>7565788
idk, he's one of the greatest essay writers
>>
#10. don't fucking use the word "meme"
>>
>>7565799

>I am a pleb and felt offended by OPs post and will try to enhance my pointless attempt to refute it by posting a picture that will make my post seem more sophisticated
>>
>

that's weird cause we did war and peace and anna karenina from tolstoy as well as crime and punishment and notes from the underground from dosto in highschool.

didn't read your other points
>>
>>7565257
The only record scratches were Fitzgerald is taught at schools and is wonderful, and Orwell is good too. So you're getting there I guess.
>>
>>7565641
>lol u mad
you immature simpleton
>>
I am not sure what you are planning to accomplish with this anon.
I am probably going to deliberately break these guidelines from now on just for pleasure to know that I am bothering someone.
>>
>>7565788
His novels are trash but his essays are pretty good I guess.
>>
>>7565873

OP should have said Classics of Russian literature in general but Nabokov is alot more commonly taught in high school then dosoevsky and tolstoy and virtually all of /lit/ agrees they are great authors anyway
>>
>>7565805
This. The word "meme" has been being replaced for other words because the people who say it are incapable of discourse and lack vocabulary.
>>
>>7565887

maybe, but you will eventually forget while the rest of us save /lit/
>>
>>7565257
>POST-IRONICALLY USES THE WORD "PATRICIAN"
>"LOOK AT ME I AM THE SPOKESMAN OF /LIT/"
YOU ARE RIGHT ON SOME THINGS BUT YOU ARE STILL SHITPOSTING

NO ONE NEEDS YOUR OPINION

YOU ARE NOT IMPORTANT

OP IS A FAGGOT

PLEASE LEAVE

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>INB4 "TRIGGERED"
>INB4 "PLEB DETECTED"
>INB4 OP RESPONDS TO THIS POST
>>
>>7565907
le caps lock man strikes again
>>
File: believe.jpg (69KB, 600x750px) Image search: [Google]
believe.jpg
69KB, 600x750px
>>7565257
This whole post is just incredibly sad.
>>
>>7565918

it is saddening to be BTFO huh
>>
>>7565257
>muh /lit/
>muh rules
>muh opinions
>muh authority

i missed the part where you are a mod

o wait that's because you aren't one and don't have any power

an hero implied

dont respond to this post c u ck m e a t
>>
you might disagree with OP's methods (because your default response to everything is smug contrarianism) but if you disagree with his points then you legitimately do not belong on this board
>>
>>7565853
Ok then, as >>7565788 pointed out, he was a great essay writer. And anyone that has more than a high school understanding of him can appreciate his various novels, even though they can be heavy-handed with their arguments. If all you know is Animal Farm and 1984, then you're part of the problem.

The picture, by the way, was merely an attempt to show that I did not merely arrive in the last few weeks, and remember the cancerous Hunger Games threads. It also allowed me to respond to OP's unsupported statements with equally unsupported statements of my own.
>>
>>7565952

hey man I know it sucks to be told to leave or that you are not welcome when you find a cool new community but the truth is almost everyone who has been regular /lit/ users for at least 3 or 4 years agree on most of OP's post
>>
>>7565970
"genre fiction" is a meaningless category and should be wholly disregarded as a concept. it follows that a blanket dismissal of genre fiction is pretty stupid.

other than that agreed
>>
>>7565974

Well if his essays are genuinely good then most people probably won't have much issues if a thread about them pops up.
>>
>>7565257
Shakespeare is taught in HS. WTF is wrong with you?
>>
>>7565982
OP could have phrased that better, however here on /lit/ there is a sort of a colloquial definition of genre fiction that most /lit/ users get that means these
>>7565455
it was sloppy but an acceptable shorthand way of saying it since most people get it
>>
Link to the reddit threads?

Any videos extant on the internet of katie? I must see for myself.
>>
>>7565976
don't disagree with OP, but OP is still a shitpost. what is relevant about OP? there is no discussion of literature, there is only discussion of what shall not be discussed. if someone wants to make a GRRM thread then who cares, he'll be shouted down or ignored or maybe someone will reply in earnest.

i find it ridiculous, your idea that it's important or even relevant for "regular /lit/ users" to agree. conformity is the new norm?

anyway, OP is retarded. there's no such thing as winterfags or redditor immigration. there's no threat to /lit/. there's no need for this entire thread. /lit/ is a place for people to discuss literature, there is no rule beyond that.
>>
>>7565982
Sorta: yes, and no. 'Genre fiction' exists in the mind of the reader, and not so much in the mind of the author -- i.e., it's going out looking for works that fall under the corporate/consumerist label of 'fantasy' or 'sci fi' et al. and reading them for those specific elements of the genre as they are defined, that is, reading for plot, which is irredeemably pleb.
>>
anyway who cares /lit/ has sucked ass for like 4 years or something now
>>
>>7565994
Obviously OP didn't mean Shakespeare.

OP wrote "books" and Shakespeare did plays not novels, its obvious that OP means "novels commonly taught in high school" and not any plays that might possibly be taught
>>
>>7566013
"i'm new." thats pretty much all your post needed to say.
>>
>>7565989
No one reads Orwell essays. People either dismiss him in high school for being too direct, or adore and over-praise him and then forget about him or lack the patience for his essays.

I read about a dozen of his well-known essays. They are good. But I don't need /lit/'s approval on them, so I'd never start an Orwell essay thread.
>>
>>7566031
You can't read, can you?

Anyway I'm done with you OP, your ceaseless defense of this trainwreck of a thread is a laughable amalgam of insults and ego-armor akin to that of a child.
>>
>>7566033
how new are you? we have threads about orwell's essays and that stupid elephant story all the time
>>
>>7566012

https://www.reddit.com/r/booklists/comments/296o56/4chan_lits_top_100_books/

this reddit thread lead to this imgur post

http://imgur.com/gallery/ngExKHr

>1,088,277 views

>>7566013

even if OP was sort of joking and shit posting there definitely has been a steady decline in posting quality as various things cause people to pay attention to /lit and in a lot of cases it has been irritating.

Nobody has to do anything but if newcomers to the board tried to be less annoying it would make most of us happy. It would really suck to see /lit/ turn into r/books and it has been slowly heading in that direction.
>>
>>7566046
All the time huh? I've been lurking pretty constantly for the past few weeks and haven't seen one, and this is a slow board so I doubt something would slip through.

If you have evidence (in the form of screenshots or warosu links) to back your claim then I'll gladly retract my statement.
>>
>>7565683
You're a retarded 18 year old who says Goyim and calls money Shekkles while chortling with all your friends.
>>
>>7566045

not even the person you replied to but you just did what you accused OP of doing with that attempted insult. I'm pretty sure a good number of people have posted here agreeing with and in support of OP's post as well even if parts of it were a joke.
>>
>>7566053
>https://www.reddit.com/r/booklists/comments/296o56/4chan_lits_top_100_books/
I mean about katie.
drama > plebscoffing
>>
>>7566065

>implying that everyone who thinks John Greene is trash is some sort of regular /pol/ browser
>>
>>7566053
don't forget hypersphere too, it got upvoted to the top of r/4chan
>>7566057
>a few weeks
seriously just go back to reddit or lurk for at least a few months before making any posts again. not trying to insult you, it's just for your own good.
>>
>>7566053
>nobody has to do anything
I don't know about that. Maybe if there's people who actually care about the quality of /lit/ (which is a ridiculous idea in the first place; 4chan is a cesspool and we all need to go outside), then those people can collectively boycott all shitty threads and refrain from all memeposting.
>>
>>7566077

idk maybe make a new thread asking about it, I may remember some people downloading the videos

she wasn't really cute or anything though, it was just that she seemed really innocent and some people enjoyed mesing around with her
>>
>>7566080
you're a dumbass, I said I've been lurking constantly for a few weeks, I didn't say I came here for the first time a few weeks ago. The point of that was to refute your "all the time" claim. Reddit is a meme and you are memeposting with that shit so please stop.

Again, you are welcome to present evidence of those Orwell essay threads, but any further memeposting on your part is contributing to the decline of this board as mentioned by others in the thread.
>>
>>7566092
>summon proof henceforth as evidenced by my blah blah
you write like an autist dude. obviously if you only come here for winter break you're not going to see any quality threads on your pet topic. especially since this winter break is the most "invaded" lit has ever been. search around in the archive and you will find a shitton about orwell's literary criticism and his political essays.
>>
>>7566131
I don't want or need to. It's your claim. and if you can't back it up then stop talking.
>>
>>7565257
>Don't ever defend yourself by inferring or saying that the person ridiculing you is doing the "stop liking what I don't like". This will instantly reveal you to be a mega-pleb.
>Don't ever defend yourself by inferring or saying
>inferring
>mega-pleb
>>
>>7566151
wow could you maybe nitpick harder and miss the point a little more because you're too afraid to say you agree?
>>
>>7566162
>accuses memer of nitpicking
>nitpicking more than the memer
try harder
>>
>7. Anything by Douglas Addams, Harper Lee, Joseph Heller, Vonnegut, Bret Easton Ellis, Palahniuk, or Orwell is complete pleb trash and not to be mentioned

The /lit starter kit would like a word.
>>
>>7566177
The /lit/ middle-school beginner's guide would also like a word.
>>
>>7566177
there's a reason it's called a "starter kit" and not a "spam threads on lit kit"
>>
>>7566177
>Orwell
is essential reading
>>
Well what's the point of recommending it in the starter kit if it's "pleb trash" that's not to be mentioned?
>>
>>7565257
>6. /Lit/s harsh attitude towards plebs and pleb books is a necessary and vital part of the board as it helps maintain a homeostasis of quality by weeding out and discouraging plebs from posting.
%100 true
>>
>>7566184
you just made that up on the spot to sound cool, didn't you?
>>
>>7566203
its to get you STARTED on reading you fucking dipshit
>>
OP's thread is self-proving. Just look at all these "wahhh wah.. buh orbwell and buh genre biction :(" babies. You know you can go literally anywhere else on the internet to not get hassled about that? r/books, goodreads, whatever. Why ruin this place?
>>
>>7565974
Homage to Catalonia is really good.

But yeah, Animal Farm and 1984 is really high school-tier.
>>
>>7566213

And then never speak of it here. Gotcha.

If I recommend something I'd expect people to be able to discuss it on my forum.
>>
>>7566220
>implying /lit/ was ever good
>implying any board on nepalese painting forum hasn't already been "ruined"
>implying you're not OP and patting yourself on the back

/lit/ doesn't belong to you, or anyone. the quality of any forum is inversely-proportionate to its accessibility. this is the tradeoff /lit/ makes for being public.
>>
>>7566236
hey reddit, have you ever heard the term "entry-level"? think for a while about what that term means.
>>
>>7565257
Been here since 08, never went to reddit and I read nothing but "genre fiction ". A lot of what i read was suggested to me over the years by lit, and I'm not leaving.

You wine sippers, fedora tippers, bread wearing e/lit/ist scum don't decide shit for me or anyone else that uses the board.

Go back to sucking butterfly and brown bear's dick.
>>
>>7566244
Even if any of that was true, you can still try to make quality threads.

There's no reason to shit up the board just because you're a pleb in real life.
>>
>>7566244
stay gold ponyboy
>>
>>7566240
wow a bunch of obvious statements everyone already knows. don't know why i'm bothering to explain this to someone this retarded, but because lit is public we can only hope to reduce accessibility and improve quality by enforcing standards like OP brought up.
>>
>>7566242

Or recommend entry-level books in the lit kit that aren't pleb trash, you dumb cunt.
>>
>>7566244
lmfao, you've read nothing but genre fiction for 8 years??
>>
>>7566252
no, you cannot and will never "reduce accessibility" to a public forum unless you are a mod. Good luck with that, buddy. Your "standards" are nothing more than your own taste, and you are too retarded to realize that you can't enforce them. If you want high quality lit discussion, find literature geeks irl. The internet is not your friend.
>>
File: a.png (58KB, 547x628px) Image search: [Google]
a.png
58KB, 547x628px
>>7565667
Please read the following.
>>
File: 1432678538202.png (169KB, 1586x700px) Image search: [Google]
1432678538202.png
169KB, 1586x700px
>>7566259
Pic related is me. Needs some serious updating though(at least 100 titles to add).
>>
File: 1385466980142.jpg (34KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1385466980142.jpg
34KB, 413x395px
>>7566259
>>
>>7566271
This is why we have science fiction/fantasy generals.
>>
>>7566257
entry level means its the absolute baseline, you use it to gain entry, it's your first step. why the fuck would you want to then revert the entire community to the baseline. the starter kit is the smallest step provided to adjust newcomers to the board, its not meant dominate the discussion that occurs within the board
>>
>>7566271
that's some serious dedication
>>
>>7566275
I find that the stronger one's words, the more likely to be misunderstood. That being said, you could have said something to this effect in the OP and saved yourself a lot of trouble, if your goal was communication.
>>
>>7566271
You..... i remember seeing you constantly posting this shit.... didn't see it for months. I thought you finally got the fuck out
>>
File: 1413835207814.png (394KB, 584x622px) Image search: [Google]
1413835207814.png
394KB, 584x622px
>>7566244

Even when this board was infested by trips like brownbear it was still better than it is now. Now all that anyone does is argue about politics, recycle old memes, and roll around in their own sophomoric shit.
>>
>>7566281
i'm not the OP and now that you've learned kindly fuck off back to reddit
>>
>>7566287
I'm not the guy you were talking to and you've memed that reddit shit once again
>>
>>7566137
autism
>>
>>7566275

Who's talking about reverting the entire community? And again you talk about adjusting newcomers to the board using books that are considered pleb trash?

Do you have to wear a helmet when you go outside?
>>
>>7566330
stepping
stones
>>
>>7566286
HOLY SHIT I MADE THAT PIC AND YOU SAVED IT.

I FEEL HONORED
>>
What literature should a pleb like me start with? I'm really new to literature but I'm looking to get into it.
>>
1st Katie then /his/

There was a brain drain when /his/ started
>>
Tbh lads it's threads like these that will turn this place into /mu/point 2. Patrician attitude comes natural -- forcing it will make this place a shithole as we'll have people acting like erudites becuase they've read Dostoyevsky.

We'll then have extra people from reddit and /mu/, coming here because of our epic elitist ways and further add to the self-deceit of patriciandom.

Read a frigging book you gooks

>>7566807
The Cossacks - Tolstoy
Alcibiades I - Plato
Bibliotheca - Pseudo-Apollodorus
Hard Rain Falling - Don Carpenter
>>
>>7566807
What's your reading level up to now?

Some good, fairly short stories and novels:

Lermontov- A Hero of Our Time
Kafka- The Metamorphosis and In The Penal Colony
Montesquieu- Persian Letters
Camus- The Stranger
>>
Been posting here daily for two years and I cringed at the OP... Get a grip, man. The elitist pose can be funny, but when you take it this seriously, it's pretty embarrassing.
>>
You shouldn't post here until you have read >100 books (not including children's books, YA, fantasy, etc.) and read fluently in at least two languages. It's impossible for anyone who doesn't pass that criteria to make a positive contribution to this board.
>>
do you know how freaking fedora it is to call yourself a patrician.
>>
File: Smug Jay.jpg (62KB, 960x643px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Jay.jpg
62KB, 960x643px
>patrician™

top kek
>>
>>7565257
I rated Orwell's "1984" 5/5 on goodreads, and you can't do anything about it!
>>
>>7565332
>Thinks things are 'pleb' because of popularity alone
>Thinks he's super clever because he found a perceived weakness in the argument that does not exist

>>>>>>>>>reddit
>>
>>7566257

most people on /lit/ hate that starter kit list and actively tell people not to post it anymore, in fact some people have made a better one that isn't full of trash and its frequently posted here
>>
Posters telling each other to go to Reddit or whinging about Reddit-influence is way more childish and annoying than somebody saying they think 1984 is good. As far as I can tell, /lit/ is as it's always been. I still enjoy posting here. Would post again. 5/5.
>>
File: back to leddit.jpg (60KB, 500x614px) Image search: [Google]
back to leddit.jpg
60KB, 500x614px
>>7567063
>>
>>7565332
>You construct artistic merit and popularity as mutually exclusive
>you say... books taught in high schools, and so on

Yet OP clearly pointed out exceptions that show they are not mutually exclusive
>>
File: 1449450398331.png (478KB, 500x572px) Image search: [Google]
1449450398331.png
478KB, 500x572px
>>7567063
Back to reddit please
>>
>>7566807

Homer, Kafka, Camus, Burroughs, the shorter works of Tolstoy and Dostoevsky
>>
>>7567063
>>
Friendly reminder to hide and report all meme threads. If you must reply, remember to sage. But seriously, don't reply. I am very sad to see this happening to /lit/. I happen to have migrated here around November as I started to get into reading. I noticed things getting really bad in December following the imgur posts. I feel almost responsible even though I didn't come from reddit. /lit/ is one of the last places left on 4chan where you can have actual, decent discussion, barring the super slow boards like /out/. Try having a serious political debate on /pol/, or a discussion on actual art films on /tv/. I remember there used to be actual threads on /tv/ where people would discuss art. I was never personally interested in it at the time, but I understood why it was there.

Please stay elitist /lit/, redditors have fragile egos and can't cope with their taste or intelligence being insulted. Drive them all back to the hellhole from whence they came.
>>
>>7567148
There's no redditors on /lit/. These are homegrown shit posters.
>>
>>7567148
>from whence

The 'from' is redundant. Just FYI.
>>
>>7567152
multiple imgur and reddit posts of /lit/ shit in the last 3 weeks, some of which have got over 1 million views. These shitposters are anything but home grown.
>>
>>7567156
thank you anon.
>>
I want to fight a Redditor IRL. Loser leaves /lit/ forever.
>>
>>7567160
You're very meme-naive. Most shitposters used the whole imgur thing to shitpost. Shitposting is a 4chan thing.

I'd know...... B)
>>
>>7565799
It does sound like most people here.
He's is making fun of you all, and doing it right.
>>
we want Quentin back
>>
>>7567187
He had shit taste
>>
>>7565257
I hope this board burns loke the shit-tier filth that it is. I only come here to laugh at pretentious fops and oh so desperate artists
>>
>>7567201
I don't wtch tv, I don't watch movies, I don't play vidya, I don't speak out loud, all I do is read and write words. I've been on 4chins since 2010 and this board only just became tolerable since /his/ was made
>>
>3. Israel did 9/11

Its another /pol/ post
>>
File: Mossad_did_911.png (3MB, 2944x3316px) Image search: [Google]
Mossad_did_911.png
3MB, 2944x3316px
>>7567313
>>
>>7567313

>Were Israelis Detained on Sept. 11 Spies?

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/story?id=123885
>>
>>7565257
>Did 9/11
>>
>>7565332
>you construct popularity and artistic merit as mutually exclusive categories.

More like you assumed. Don't put words in people's mouths.
>>
>>7567173
No he's not you fucking redditor
>>
>>7565257
>thats
that's
>its
it's
>author
Author
>favorite
>orite
>or
>using American english
>pretending not to be a pleb
ayy lmao
>>
>>7567384

who cares if his post wasn't 100% grammatically correct when our board is going to shit and the stuff OP talked about is what we need to do to stop it being a shitshow
>>
>>7567387
Shit like OP will turn this place into /tv/
>>
>>7565897
There is nothing wrong with the word meme being a meme it makes perfect sense
>>
>>7567390

better then r/books
>>
>>7567531
*Then* you better head back there
>>
>>7567531
>then
Hellloooo /r/books!
>>
wow she is beautiful :3
i want to hold her hand
>>
File: 1443830935321.jpg (192KB, 650x975px) Image search: [Google]
1443830935321.jpg
192KB, 650x975px
>>7567604

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46_yYR6tGOI

>>7567390

OP making a post like that won't turn /lit/ into /tv/, we just have to remember to call out plebs wherever and whenever and that will help solve most of the issue. There were already issues caused by long-time /lit/ users who just shitposted but this pleb influx is a lot worse.
>>
>>7565257

mods pls sticky this
>>
>>7565257
>don't ever ask why literature from African authors isn't more popular (its mostly shit)
slowclap.gif
>>
trans "people" should be thrown in gas chambers tbqh
>>
>>7567755
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7567770
kek

>>7567773
Not a bad idea though, the more newcomers that see it the better. As its a phrase which is way overused you really shouldn't tell people to go back to reddit unless they go full pleb by saying they like a pleb book or author etc
>>
>>7566809
Lots of fedoraposters went away, but we lost some good scolastics.
>>
>>7565667
Responding to this is the beginning of the end.
>>
Thanks for writing this beginners guide for beginners such as myself, that's just like super nice bro.
>>
>>7567387
>we
What are you, the /lit/ appointed minister of culture? Kill yourself, /lit/ has never been good or bad, it just is. OP unironically calling himself patrician is faggot tier.
>>
>>7567914

>Kill yourself, /lit/ has never been good or bad, it just is.

This is just bullshit, /lit/ has always had issues but the majority of the posters here who have been regular posters for years have noticed that it has definitely gotten worse recently. You can fuck off and do whatever you want but the majority of /lit/s longtime posters want /lit/ to stop being as shitty as it has been lately. You can find this sentiment in most threads.
>>
>>7567947
Nah famm this is new-/lit/ bollocks -- the main problem is we have more people bitching about an invisible enemy, than actually discussing books.
>>
>>7565918

tumblr pls go
>>
File: pidgey.jpg (34KB, 695x463px) Image search: [Google]
pidgey.jpg
34KB, 695x463px
>>7566244
>bread wearing
>>
File: 1442410183579.jpg (16KB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
1442410183579.jpg
16KB, 540x360px
>>7567952

I disagree. Of course the threads that just say "delete lit" or just complain about it are kind of annoying but those have only started recently as a response to all the influx of plebs.

Its more annoying to have constant threads on high-school tier literature all over the board or dozens of threads on the authors OP listed in #7. Its also irritating to constantly have people unironically spouting inane shit about how there is nothing wrong with these authors or that the stuff most of /lit/'s longtime posters like is boring or too dense or not diverse enough etc. I remember when the top 20 threads in the catalog were mostly about patrician books and poetry/recommendation threads/bookshelf and discussing aesthetics and related subjects. Now its frequently shit-tier literature and stupid questions.
>>
File: litdeath.jpg (3KB, 117x125px) Image search: [Google]
litdeath.jpg
3KB, 117x125px
>>7567894

Does anyone feel that the end of this board is near? The board itself will exist but it's nature will change to an extent which will make it completely unrecognizable from before.

Things I've personally noticed occurring more and more frequently:

1. ill-thought-out posts which throw an OPINION (often unrelated to lit) with OP providing absolutely no justification or reasoning.

2. More frog-posters making idiotic posts.

3. More shitposts with the attempt to bait people or rile them up. What's worse is that they're so ridiculously obvious as bait.

4. Same high-school books being casually and vapidly discussed over and over again.

5. People being generally more abrasive and uncouth when it comes to having a serious discussion about anything. eg, simply trashing an argument by insults without giving their point of view or any reasoning.

The list could go on. But these are a few examples.

Honestly, I think there's nothing we can do to stop the influx of redditors here and will just have to wait and watch this board wither until we decide to call it quits and move on to some other forum.
>>
>>7565273
>implying negroes can read in the first place
>>
>>7567986

I think the best response is to be harsh and unforgiving with plebs and anytime someone posts stupid bait to just write concise and clear refutations blowing them the fuck out and alerting idiots to the fact that its bait so they don't get the response they want.

Even 6 months ago a lot of bait threads didn't get more then 2 or 3 replies. We just have to be vigilant and call out plebishness whenever it appears.
>>
>>7566053
That image is already not really representative of the OP's argument.

>Slaughterhouse Five. Why just that one? And why Vonnegut?
>Entire Harry Potter series
>Hobbit and Silmarillion
>>
>>7567330
>>7567346

Holy shit man I take that back, your're right. Kek, who would have thought.
>>
>>7568023

The same guy who took the poll also did a more recent one and in the threads about it he acknowledged that he had taken a pretty small sample and used methods that pretty much made it so one person posting could get their book on. He took a more recent one with much more people and better methods and even with the influx of plebs we have had since the first poll there was still less pleb books near the top of the chart as well as ones being on the chart at all.
>>
>>7567907

It was, wasn't it? You can show your appreciation by following it assiduously.
>>
>mfw scrubs pretend there are objective parameters by which value can be directly measured

WEW LAD
>>
>>7568043
Proof please. Post the more recent list.
>>
>>7568149

Anyone who would use that position to argue against calling out plebs and shitty literature for what they are do not belong on /lit/ because here we actually care about the quality of most threads and if we don't call out shit when we see it then it just spreads because newcomers assume its okay.
>>
>>7568163
>Anyone who would use that position to argue against calling out plebs and shitty literature for what they are do not belong on /lit/

>Anyone who says value is not objective shouldn't call me out for being logical inconsistent when I say that the tastes of others are objectively less valuable than my own

>translation: don't tell me im wrong pls
>>
>>7565257

I cringed at this post.
>>
>>7568172
You're equating taste and objective value. They are separate. You can enjoy something a lot that is objectively lower value because it has other aspects that make it more enjoyable for you personally.
>>
>>7568172

>>Anyone who says value is not objective shouldn't call me out for being logical inconsistent when I say that the tastes of others are objectively less valuable than my own

I'm not OP and thus I didn't say what they said but regardless most of /lit/ agrees on what pleb-tier literature is. You can beat the dead horse of the "nothing is objective and so we shouldn't care about pleb shit being posted" argument as long as you want but almost all of us on /lit/ who aren't newcomers want it gone so you are wasting your time and convincing nobody.
>>
>>7568214
>objective value

doesn't exist because it's not an inherent property of an object, just something you perceive in it
>>
>>7568173

fascinating
>>
>>7568216
> regardless most of /lit/ agrees on what pleb-tier literature is

doesn't make it objective

>I want THIS culture to be the dominant one, because it's more valuable

to your subjective tastes

GET REKT SCRUB, I'LL SHIT POST EVERY THREAD ABOUT FINNEGAN'S WAKE TIL I RETURN TO THE ETHER FROM WHICH I ROSE
>>
>>7568220
the question of whether objective value exists or not it irrelevant to the fact that most of /lit/'s longtime posters want all the plebs to leave and post about their pleb stuff on goodreads or r/books.
>>
>>7568230

>doesn't make it objective
see
>>7568240

> I'LL SHIT POST EVERY THREAD

Whatever dude you aren't trolling anyone and will just be wasting your time. People will ignore you and continue to call out and be unforgiving of plebs and people who post about shit books.
>>
>>7568240
>>7568252
>the question of whether objective value exists or not it irrelevant to the fact that most of /lit/'s longtime posters want all the plebs to leave

>I will categorise people into an inferior class, and I want them gone. Also, the reasoning behind these actions are irrational. No, these two things are not connected in anyway.

step it up pleb
>>
>>7568275
>>I will categorise people into an inferior class, and I want them gone

No and no. Its not me personally, its most of the board who isn't new who agrees on what authors are trash. All the posters in this thread and others who have expressed agreement with OP and bemoan the influx of people who are into entry-level and high-school tier books are evidence that most of the board's longtime-posters want the new people to go.

>Also, the reasoning behind these actions are irrational

not at all, if you had paid attention at all to this thread and others you would know that the influx of new people has caused a lot irritation and that naturally them leaving will cause less irritation from their posted

>misrepresenting what I posted and what my positions are and then thinking that doing so gives you the right to call me a pleb

top kek son, you have terrible reading comprehension
>>
>>7568324

*from their posting
>>
>>7565257
This is why the advice is not to post in a board until you've been there for at least a few months.
To be honest I'm pretty new here, but this is the only post i'm going to make on this board for now, since I don't think I've been here for long enough yet.
>>
>>7568324
Everything about OP's post implies objective value exists within art. It doesn't.

To create a hierarchy within which you can place posters according to their ability to perceive the quality of art is ridiculous unless that quality can be objectively measured. Otherwise "pleb" and "patrician" could not be taken seriously. You implicitly do the same shit in your own post by using the terms "entry-level" and "high-school tier" when referring to literature.

This belies the notion that you don't read literature for your own personal pleasure or taste. Instead, it serves as a proxy for your identity; a vehicle by which you achieve "elite status", according to the standards of an online Malasyian claymation forum.

In other words, you've been spooked
>>
>>7568342
You can join in once you finish the complete works of Plato and Aristotle in the original Greek.
>>
>>7568342

Lurking can help gauge the feel of /lit/ but really its just important to make sure that you have read a few actually decent books that you are able to talk about. Newish people who are able to contribute to good discussions about books that are not hated by the board are more valuable to /lit/ then posters of 8 months who only shitpost, bait and post memes and have only talked about 1 book that they have read.

>>7568352

You are still beating a dead horse while ignoring that almost all of /lit/'s longtime posters want the new people to go or at least lurk before posting and that they almost universally agree that the new people have lowered the quality of discussion.

Your entire post and your posts preceding it are useless and besides the point.
>>
>>7565257
I'll read what I want thanks.
>>
>>7568385
>You are still beating a dead horse while ignoring that almost all of /lit/'s longtime posters want the new people to go or at least lurk before posting and that they almost universally agree that the new people have lowered the quality of discussion.

You can do that, I don't give a shit. I take issue with sophistry in the OP like:
>Don't ever defend yourself by inferring or saying that the person ridiculing you is doing the "stop liking what I don't like". This will instantly reveal you to be a mega-pleb. There is objectively bad literature and roughly 85% of the time people here are being honest with you when they say an author you like is trash.
>>
>>7568388

as long as you don't post about it
>>
>>7568414
does it trigger you when you have to read about someone enjoying something you don't enjoy
>>
File: 1442077642768.jpg (35KB, 416x416px) Image search: [Google]
1442077642768.jpg
35KB, 416x416px
>>7568392

Well I'm not the OP so fuck off already because I didn't write that. If you want to argue with people about that then create a thread about how there is not any objective measures of literature quality in your opinion. The fact that the vast majority of /lit/'s longtime users don't like a lot of literature and consider it to be trash is a fact of the board though and you will never get anywhere trying to change minds about that, just a word of advise.
>>
>>7568428
When you feel offended upon learning that an online community you want to participate in doesn't think highly of your taste in literature is it successful when you console yourself by attempting to portray members of that community as being people without thick skin who are easily upset?
>>
>>7568470
the irony of this post is palpable on a visceral level

do you frog post too
>>
File: 1445120252771.jpg (18KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1445120252771.jpg
18KB, 225x225px
>>7568483

always

and the past three posts I made that you replied to were made mostly as a joke but seriously though if there is a chance that you are one of those people making threads everyday about high-school tier books most of us would appreciate it if you toned it down.
>>
A man who ordered a Kindle electronic book reader received a patient's tumour sample instead in a courier delivery mix-up.

James Potten said when he opened the FedEx package the box was marked as "patient tumor - specimen enclosed".

Mr Potten, 37, of Cotham, Bristol, received a parcel from an address in California which was supposed to go to the Royal Free Hospital in London.

"When I opened it I had quite a shock," he said.
The Royal Free Hospital said it was aware that a package "intended for one of its institutions... was delivered to an address in Bristol".

"If [we were] the intended recipient... we will await answers from the delivery company as to how this mistake was made," it said.

FedEx said it "regretted the error" and "will consider future changes to our processes".
>>
>>7568414
I think I will.
>>
I've noticed many threads like "Should I read it?" That needs to go. Also, the Pleb tier books bring down board discussion because the ideas discussed aren't as articulate or as important as ones in higher philosophy.
>>
>>7568586
Those threads are the reason why threads like this need to exist. There needs to be a final clarification of what is and isn't sincerely endorsed. The reason you see so many people not understanding why a book isn't accepted is because of the shitposting and ironic recommendations that make it hard to tell what people are actually saying, especially in a textual medium.
>>
>>7568740
To add to this, I think the best way to finally decide on /lit/'s canon would be to have a mod for this board take submissions, and make a sticky each week for discussion of a single book. After one week, the discussion should be finished and it can be added or rejected to a list of recognized literary excellence.
>>
>>7565257
if you disagree

fuck off
>>
File: pictures.jpg (2MB, 1748x2480px) Image search: [Google]
pictures.jpg
2MB, 1748x2480px
>mfw this is the thing that broke the camels back
>>
>>7565667
/lit/ should not have succumbed to the whole pleb versus patrician distinction in the first place. What you call "patricians" are in reality mere "sophisticated computer users."
>>
>>7568806

I don't know about that, a lot of people would have reservations and be dissatisfied with that process. We don't exactly need a canon but most of us already have a clear idea of what obviously pleb books are and so its probably more important for people to stop making ironic or joking recommendations and to tell others to stop doing it when they see it.
>>
>>7566270
>http://imgur.com/4Az268G
>After a certain distressing scene in Amsterdam (I refuse to talk about why they're in the city)...

Kek'd
>>
>>7565257
As a person who posted on /lit/ back in 2010 and 2011, I'm going to tell you that you ruined everything good that /lit/ once was, and you are the reason why I no longer post here.

It's funny to see you complain about a deterioration of post quality when you are a living, breathing example of what ruined /lit/ in the first place.

Thank you.
>>
File: 1444553432232.jpg (66KB, 399x382px) Image search: [Google]
1444553432232.jpg
66KB, 399x382px
>>7568893
>>
>>7567330

is that document real?
>>
>>7569013
No.
>>
>>7569013
No, Goyim. Nothing to see here. Shut it down.
>>
>>7568893
So. not interested in my opinion of Harry Potter then My precious
>>
First time posting here

is Atlas Shrugged the ITAOTS of /lit/
>>
>>7569104
No.
>>
>>7569104

Most people on /lit/ don't even post about it that much. Around 2013 or so it was sort of a meme that people posted about ironically and semi-ironically but you don't see that really anymore.

The consensus seems to be that while its a not a great work of literature, its at least something worth your time to read if you are interested in the whole libertarian etc subculture its associated with.
>>
>>7565257
Number 3 is correct
>>
File: 1451616666833.png (333KB, 451x469px) Image search: [Google]
1451616666833.png
333KB, 451x469px
>>7569104
DFW is ITAOTS of lit
>>
You guys have to help report off-topic threads. Such as cunts posting trump's book pic, the discussing fucking politics in /lit/.
>>
>>7567829
>>7566809

also a mass influx of /tv/-posters started migrating to the board a year and a half ago, didn't stick around to check if they assimilated properly
>>
>reading fiction at all
lol
>>
This thread is full of faggots
>>
>>7570045
Don't say that. You're offending homosexuals.
>>
Forgot to mention that kindle readers are human trash
>>
>>7570069

not as annoying as people who read and then post about pleb books though tbqh
>>
>>7565257
>has no mention of ayn rand ban
>>
>>7570049
Shut up faggot
>>
Vonnegut, Bret Easton Ellis, or Orwell
nah man
BEE's not my cup of tea but i don't reflexively shit on people who like him if they have interesting reasons
orwell's non-fiction is good
mother night has a good concept and is fun; cat's cradle is decent, fun.
>>
File: 1445734899122.jpg (75KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1445734899122.jpg
75KB, 1280x720px
>>7570232

For the average 20ish year old who isn't really into reading and is more into video games/sports/partying etc etc its relatively impressive for them to have read those compared to other people like them but to actual intellectuals and patricians who read serious literature those are widely regarded as sophomoric and basic entry-level authors that should not be read past 18. In real life of course I wouldn't shit on someone for saying they like those authors because its not polite but they are not really fit for discussion on /lit/. All memes aside those authors are a lot more fit for discussion on r/books where you will find an audience way more receptive to talking about them then here.
>>
Fuck elite shit, Pleb shit is better.
>>
>>7567914
>unironically
He fucking used ™, my guy. If that doesn't signal bait, really what will to you imbeciles.
>>
File: 1445523135464.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1445523135464.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>7570399
>>
>>7570419
The trademark symbol indicates post-irony
>>
>>7570419

OP probably did that part jokingly but I don't doubt they on some level were serious about the rest of it because a lot of us are. Its written out in a way that is way more edgy and pretentious then it needs to be but most long-time /lit/ users would probably agree with the basic idea.
>>
>>7570494
He's serious about it, but preempting any criticism of his stance by making a non-humorous joke genuflection acknowledgment towards the absurdity of the whole schema, in other words: post-irony

Astonishingly disingenuous
>>
>>7570508

be that as it may I appreciated OP's post and this thread
>>
>>7565257
>hasn't read Picture This
>hasn't read Something Happened
>patrician

Whatever you say
>>
out of curiosity why are a shit load of redditors coming to /lit/?
>>
File: lit.jpg (129KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
lit.jpg
129KB, 400x266px
We, the plebs, are taking over whether you like it or not. Oh the beauty and sheer wonder of a democratic board. Yes indeed, I think I'll take up residence here with the other woodworms.
>>
>>7565257
>1. Under no circumstances will you ever praise any book taught in a standard high school curriculum as anything but an enjoyable read from your past that you don't care much about now. The vast majority of books taught in high-school are complete pleb shit. The only exceptions to this are Nabokov and Conrad as they are taught at some schools.

I read Moby Dick and Brothers in my standard high school curriculum. I'm not sure if this rule is valid.
>>
This post had good intentions but no one is taking is seriously. If you see a post that is not /lit/ related ignore the post. start threads of actual lit related books.
>>
>>7570632
Same here freindo
>>
>>7570313
that's true, people would be more receptive if they learned our triggers, but BEE isn't a rand where people should just shut up. if somebody has a good reason for liking the book with all the brand names i'll hear them out, i'm not talking about american psycho ad nauseam
your problem is paying attention to names too much; you come off as a wikitard
>>
>>7571200

" i before e except after c"
>>
>>7570856

Those are probably exceptions as well because most of /lit/ likes those books and is down to talk about them
>>
>>7571993
>" i before e except after c"
So it's really sceince?
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.