[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If Nietzsche's ubermensch (or the "extraordinary man",

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

If Nietzsche's ubermensch (or the "extraordinary man", in Crime and Punishment--by the way, the word for "extraordinary" here can also be translated as "transcendent") is someone, like Mohammed or Napoleon, who destroys all values to make way for values he created, then isn't Jesus Christ the greatest ubermensch who ever lived? Like with every "extraordinary man", Great bloodshed and pain were required to bring about his values (he predicted, "I do not bring peace"), but unlike with all the other ubermensch, this bloodshed and pain was wrought on his followers (starting with him). Yet more than any other man he destroyed all the old values and imposed his own.
>>
there has only ever been one true christian and his name was Jesus Christ
>>
>>7564411
No, Jesus Christ was God, and is thus above such small reason.
>>
>>7564468
But there is no substance to this assertion, it's just an empty assertion. If we accepted Nietzsche as a Bible and verses by him could simply be quoted an authority, that would be something else, but Nietzsche did not himself want that.
>>
>>7564477
Jesus Christ is 100% God and 100% man.
>>
>>7564486
Jesus Christ, the man was not merely extraordinary. He was as perfect as the newly created Adam.
>>
>>7564514
Like I said, "extraordinary" can also be translated as "transcendent" and "unique".

As for uber, it means over, above, beyond, etc.
>>
>>7564528
But that implies that one was once mere man, while Jesus Christ was PERFECT from the day he was born to the day that he died and rose again. To compare him as such to men, no matter how extraordinary is to denigrate him.

Jesus the man, was the platonic form of man on earth, a historical event entirely without parallel, neither preceding nor proceeding.
>>
No, because Jesus Christ is the Word. He is the Law, the Reason. He did not abolish anything, except sin; but sin is a not something positive, but a lack of something, so it is not really abolished, just wiped clean. Christ is the order of the world incarnated into the world. He did not do anything except his Father's will.

Nietzsche's "Übermensch" is just his deranged vision of the antichrist.
>>
>>7564468
This implies that Jesus Christ was wrong when he would have disciplines in all ages in whose souls He would live:

>If any one love me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him, and will make our abode with him.

If there are no Christians but Christ that would mean Christ had totally failed in His mission.
>>
>>7564545
Jesus is the Word from Heraclitus.

>Christ is the order of the world
The word for "order" and "world" in Greek is kosmos, and it is ruled by Satan.

You trying to superimpose Greek philosophy onto Christianity.

>He did not do anything except his Father's will.
He and his Father are the same being.
>>
>>7564596
Jesus *isn't the word from Heralcitus
>>
>>7564596
>Jesus is the Word from Heraclitus.

And St. John.

>The word for "order" and "world" in Greek is kosmos, and it is ruled by Satan.

Satan only rules the world insofar as the world is seated in wickedness, in sin. To call Satan the ruler of this world is to emphasise how much sin has entered into it. Still, nevertheless, in the absolute sense God, Christ, is the supreme ruler of the world, and Satan is just an administrator used to try the saints.

>He and his Father are the same being.

Yes.
>>
Op for a nitzchean interpretation of Christianity read Nietzsche ffs
>>
>>7564621
>And St. John.
St. John's logos is from the Septuagint (that is, assuming he even originally wrote in Greek
>>
>>7564621
>Satan only rules the world insofar as the world is seated in wickedness, in sin. To call Satan the ruler of this world is to emphasise how much sin has entered into it. Still, nevertheless, in the absolute sense God, Christ, is the supreme ruler of the world, and Satan is just an administrator used to try the saints.
God is certainly not synonymous with this order and world, no matter how you slice.
>>
>>7564631
And for a christian reading of Nietzsche read Dostoyevsky Lol op the point your are making was the point of that book nice revelation eh?
>>
>>7564641
Of course not. He transcends the world. But he "ordered all things sweetly", he created the world, all things were made by him.
>>
File: 3.jpg (33KB, 839x480px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
33KB, 839x480px
>>7564644
Nice to see someone here has read it.
>>
Also OP check out the online zine "death to the world" it is an Orthodox zine dedicated to rebelling against nihilism and I really think it is lovely
>>
>>7564652
The order (which is what the word "kosmos" means in Greek) after the fall is not God's. To identify God with the order (which is what Greekboos do too much), is a massive mistake. Even the order before the fall is not synonymous with God.

"Logos" in orthodox Christian thought, as a theological term, does not mean reason or order. It means Word but in a sense that is synonymous with Truth itself (very different from, say the Bible, which is a description of the Truth, not Truth itself, which is God--but English only has one word for word, so it's a bit confusing). Logos is a righteous testimony, for instance, as opposed to a false one. The only time Logos is used in a less than objective sense, is with the Tower of Babel, where it says God changed the one Logos of the people into many.
>>
>>7564659
Looks pretty dank.. Thanks much, brother
>>
>>7564693
No problem. I don't communicate it very often but I actually consider myself a Christian. Dostoyevsky and the reality of my own suffering, as well as ultimately understanding the impotence of other philosophies, were all instrumental in revealing the truth. Now...if I could just *actually* renounce the world.
>>
>>7564745
Brother... I just feel like I can't lie to myself, or God for that matter.
>>
>>7564766
Very well put; Going to have to meditate on this. Check out Father Seraphim Rose if you get a chance.
>>
>>7564745
Have you read The Way of the Pilgrim?
>>
>>7564966
you're probably not still here but I have. it was a comfort to me for a long time, but was ultimately stolen from me. oddly enough, the scene in the book where the pilgrim loses his philokalia was similar, but sadly I did not respond in the same way as the pilgrim..i am truly a profligate and sinful person.
>>
>>7564486

as is every other man, or at least potentially. jesus just achieved our potential because he was raised and educated by people who wholeheartedly believed he was the son of god, not realizing they were as well. because they believed themselves to be evil, and never gave thought to their potential for purity even after having done evil. jesus was just the outsider who was like dude u r whatever u wanna b.

and then authority, as with socrates, recognized him as redpilling the populace, saw the threat, and martyrd him, achieving exactly what they sought to avoid.

which isn't to actually say jesus was some transcendent ubermensch, he was just recorded as having been some transcendent ubermensch. think socrates. these are just people desu.
>>
>the material world and Heaven aren't mutually exclusive
Stop posting. you non-entity.
>>
>>7565399
The Philokalia is really, really good too. You can read it here, if you want: https://archive.org/details/Philokalia-TheCompleteText

But it is not a work to go through quickly. You should read it a little bit at a time and carefully contemplate it. You should also pray for understanding before you do.

You might also enjoy the Orthodox New Testament. You can find it only by googling "Orthodox New Testament PDF" and clicking the first result. It has very good commentary, but it's also based on the Orthodox NT, which has a slightly different Greek text than than the Western NT.

God bless you.

t. the only sinner

>>7565444
Great trips, but there is a tremendous differences between Socrates and Christ, besides the overtly Christian issue. Socrates opposed the material, that is why he wasn't very concerned about dying, and even thought facing death without concern was what mattered most. Christ, on the other hand, begged the Father to please save him, Christ did not *want* to die, he was not even neutral or okay with death, he actively *did not want* to die.
>>
>>7565617
I have to sincerely thank you for taking time to suggest those and I will definitely put them on my phone. I actually live a lot like the pilgrim, I have been hitchhiking and hopping trains since last spring. I make money by doing day labor and begging to. Lately, I have given up a lot of vices which were holding me back. I think I will have to get a physical copy of the Philokalia it doesn't seem like something to read on a tiny phone screen but maybe that is just splitting hairs.

God bless you as well!
>>
No. You somehow manage to fuck up Nietzsche even worse than the postmodernist marxists. First of all, the actual person who was influential was Paul, not Jesus. The gospels were written after Paul lived; they would not have existed if Paul did not exist. The Jesus Christians know and love only exists because of Paul.

Second of all, the ubermensch isn't the person who creates new values but is a new race beyond man. Nietzsche speaks of the greatness of creating new values all the time, but only as a going-across, the ubermensch is not just any creator of new values, but a new species. This is very clear. The ubermensch not embody all new values, but specifically Nietzsche's new values. Last men create new values all the time.

>Once did people say God, when they looked out upon distant seas; now, however, have I taught you to say, Superman. God is a conjecture: but I do not wish your conjecturing to reach beyond your creating will. Could ye CREATE a God?—Then, I pray you, be silent about all Gods! But ye could well create the Superman.
>Never yet hath there been a Superman. Naked have I seen both of them, the greatest man and the smallest man:— All-too-similar are they still to each other. Verily, even the greatest found I—all-too-human!— Thus spake Zarathustra.
>"Man must become better and eviler"—so do I teach. The evilest is necessary for the Superman's best.

I mean seriously, read the Sermon on the Mount, then read Thus Spoke Zarathustra, and please shut the fuck up. Your mental gymnastics are embarrassing.
>>
>>7565746
>First of all, the actual person who was influential was Paul, not Jesus

What a mundane reading of something profound. My only question is what size is your fedora
>>
>>7565753
Fine, I'm a fedora. But you can't claim Nietzsche as your own. He's not yours. Call him a fedora.
>>
>>7565846
Oh no argument there, a very shrill Trilby in fact. I wasn't OP and I wouldn't try to reify Nietzsche into a pro-Christian writer, that would be idiotic. I do agree with OP in the sense of Dostoevsky's reading of Nietzsche, though. Also, since Nietzsche does address Christianity and religions generally very often, I think he is someone that Christians should really pay attention to...I believe his disgust for the faith was spurred on largely by the cultural trappings it had acquired in his day...the bloodclottedness of it...the resignation towards authority that Germans tend to blend with every thing (even with Nietzsche lol)
>>
>>7565746
>First of all, the actual person who was influential was Paul, not Jesus

Aren't you begging the question, here? And isn't it all the more presumptuous to do so when Paul's Epistles are peppered with him making a sharp distinction every time he says something that's purely his opinion, and didn't come from Christ?

>the ubermensch is not just any creator of new values, but a new species
Not literally. They are a new order of humanity that is created by the ubermensch. The ubermesnch Nietzsche is hoping for in Zarathustra is one who completely destroys all Christian genealogy of values, and imposes his own, completely self-created values to create a brand new humanity that has no ties with the Christian legacy.
>>
>>7565870
Dostoevsky actually never read Nietzsche (he died before Nietzsche even wrote Thus Spoke Zarathustra), though Nietzsche read and very much liked Dostoevsky.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.