[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Little Black Classics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: Little-Black-Classics-960.png (1MB, 960x752px) Image search: [Google]
Little-Black-Classics-960.png
1MB, 960x752px
Hey /lit/,

I have £50 to spend on books - I was thinking of getting the Penguin Little Black Classics, is it worth it? I want to get the best value for money, bang for my buck and bounce for my ounce.

If not what else should I get? I know I could nip into the local second hand bookshop and buy piles of books for £50 but they won't have a great range on offer.
>>
A lot of books on Amazon are in the £2-£4 range with delivery so you can still get quite a lot. Plus I'm pretty sure most of those classics are short stories.
>>
LITTLE
>>
Spend the £50 on something else and pirate the books instead
>>
>>7563083

Well the thing is I don't have a lot of short stories on my shelf - I mainly have longer reads, I don't usually buy short stories when I go out and I feel like spending the next few weeks blazing through a load of them.

>>7563086

Not really a pirating books kind of guy seeing as I don't have an Ereader, and I usually read on the go.
>>
Note the title that interest you and then visit a used book shop.
>>
They're only excerpts from larger works and short stories.

Just use the money to get full works and short story collections.
>>
BLACK
>>
BOOKS
>>
>>7563083
>A lot of books on Amazon are in the £2-£4 range with delivery

Amazon is a fucking godsend when I feel like binging on books. There are a lot of sellers that just use a flat price and don't actually look into the value of individual books. I scored a Thomas Ligotti hardcover the other week for $4 shipped.
>>
why would you buy fragments instead of the larger works they're from?
>>
Go for it for the obvious reason that you get tasters of certain styles that you can follow up on later. I've done this for a while.
>>
>>7564613
i bought the box set because of this reason
>>
Save up another 30 bongbux and get yourself a kindle, then pirate all the books.
>>
>>7563074
this is so gimmicky. these stories are chosen primarily by their length they might as well write costco wholesale on it
>>
>>7565166
Yarr
>>
File: CXHBbS8WQAAYQDE.jpg (67KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
CXHBbS8WQAAYQDE.jpg
67KB, 600x800px
make sure you get the most important one
>>
M8 It's all public domain shit. Don't waste your money.
>>
>>7563074
LITTLE
>>
>>7563074
They're alright but I wouldn't want to spend a whole £50 on it myself. I know they're 80p alone, so I'd consider picking up a few of the little black classics written by writers you already enjoy or interested in.

After that, go buy some actual novels.
>>
>>7563133
They're not all excerpts and extracts, but some of them are. As long as OP avoids the excerpts and actually picks up the short stories (The Yellow Wallpaper is worth a thumb through, OP), then he'll be fine.
>>
>>7563074
Go to a antiquarian bookshop and buy books? I'm not quite sure why you'd bother getting penguin books as they are quite expensive. You can get hardcovers for under 5 pounds in the bookshops I mentioned.
>>
>>7566969
I never said they were. I'd still rather get a collection of short stories than a single one.
>>
>>7565286
BLACK
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.