[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thomas pynchon guide

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: Gravitys_rainbow_cover.jpg (103KB, 392x574px) Image search: [Google]
Gravitys_rainbow_cover.jpg
103KB, 392x574px
Hey /lit/.
I want to start reading thomas pynchon because i heard nothing but good about him, but I don't know where to start. Can you guys give me a guide?
>>
>>7562465
Lot 49 then V. then GR

Some ppl will say it doesn't matter but that's a meta joke. 49 & V. are relatively quick and will get you in gear for GR—or turn you back. Not everyone is going to like Pinecone.
>>
Sure is Reddit in here.
>>
1. Spark up a cartoonishly huge joint.
>>
5. Yeah, his books are tough, but, hey, c'mere.... (whisper) don't forget to have fun too. ;-)
>>
>>7562494
NOW it's Weddit in here.
>>
File: pynchon.png (575KB, 1513x884px) Image search: [Google]
pynchon.png
575KB, 1513x884px
>>7562465
>>
>>7562474
I disagree with this. L49 isn't a bad introduction even if it isn't in the sphere of his best works, but V. is in some ways a harder and less grabbing read than GR to someone who isn't used to Pynchon. I'd advocate re-reading GR after reading V. instead.
>>
>>7562465
Start with whatever interests you the most. Read him slowly, sub-vocalize (not trolling).

The difficulty is following his train of thought. Read slowly and it's not difficult at all. It still requires patience though.
>>
>>7563448
Oh thanks I'll do that.
>>
>>7563318
this is a fucking awful guide to be honest with you samuels

everyone ignore it

the best way to read through pinecone would be something like:

V

CoL49 and GR in any order (although I personally wouldn't stress about CoL49)

M&D or IV

then just do whatever the fuck you want.
Read Vineland or ATD or Bleeding Edge and end on Slow Learner, maybe, whatever.

~ ~

Although I read through ponecine by going IV, Vineland, CoL49, GR, V for a start and well I don't know why to be quiet and honest with you.
>>
lot 49 desu

it'd be like you friend goes "where do i start with joy division mate" and you're like "try substance family" and they're like "hang on a minute that's a bloody compilation innit" and you're like "yah it is but it's the best quick-fix, one stop shop overview-ish sampler thing you can get your hands on, try it out bruv" and they're like "might just do that"

i guess what i'm trying to say is that tcol49 is your best all around pynchon crash course, whether his style leaves you itching for more
>>
Step 1. Buy Book
Step 2. Get crazy high. So high, in fact, you think you are Tommy Pynchon. You may be Tommy Pynchon.
Step 3. Who gives a fuck?
Step 4. Pretend you read it like the rest of /lit/.
Step 5. Make sure you include it in every picture in the bookshelf thread for credibility.
Step 6. Get crazy high again.
Step 7. Make fun of anyone else who asks for advice on how to read Pynchon, and give them bullshit list answers.
>>
>>7562465
don't bother he's a meme
>>
Just read it, try to make sense of the things you don't get, but not too much, and enjoy what little of it you get. Then reread it thoroughly and have it finally click.
>>
>>7564148
pynchon is great to read high desu senpai (ignoring your memery)
>>
V. -> M&D -> move forward and never look back
>>
why should read this book; one dont if oyu have alr read your james joyces
two: if you havent read toyur Lewis Caorl.
Three: if you havent read you Nobovok.
Four: tiy can read if you are indeed read now, but it is not as hard sa others, but is it something woth the fun yes it us
>>
>>7562465
i started with Gravitys Rainbow because it looked the most interesting to me. you could certainly start with v. or the crying of lot 49 but Gravitys rainbow is widely considered his magnum opus.
>>
>>7565285
Don't do this
>>
The only book of his that i've read is GR. You don't need to read anything else, it's not like you're trying to tackle being and time. No preliminary reading necessary
>>
To all the people saying to go straight to GR, did you even understand it all on the first reading? I'm on Lot49 and love it, but notice that it's not "common" prose and his style is pretty unique. I don't want to jump straight into GR and getting side tracked
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.