[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think about Bukowski? Where to start?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: charles bukowski.jpg (181KB, 1500x1909px) Image search: [Google]
charles bukowski.jpg
181KB, 1500x1909px
What do you think about Bukowski? Where to start?
>>
i "like" him but i havent read him since he was 16

post office or ham on rye
>>
God damn it you cant look up bukowski on the archive? This thread happens weekly at this point
>>
File: IMG-20160102-WA0018.jpg (63KB, 614x993px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160102-WA0018.jpg
63KB, 614x993px
>>
It's me.

He's shitty, don't read him.
>>
Bukowski is a claptrap journalist.
>>
>>7562347

ok nabby
>>
if you read bukowski, then you are either a pleb, or a pleb tourist
>>
>>7562226
I can't speak for his poetry, but for his fiction, if you've read one you'e read them all. I'm not saying his work isn't enjoyable or worthwhile, but if you only read one of his books you'll get all there is to get from his body of work as a whole. But some are definitely better than others, and Factotum is definitely the best. I would say start with that, and if you like it keep going. If not, you won't be missing out on anything.
>>
>>7562264
>DONT LIKE WHAT I DONT LIKE!
>>
>>7562226
Highschool tier. Basically twilight for teenagers who think of themselves as "outcasts".
>>
>>7562226
I started with Post office, then went on to Factotum. I'll be reading women next and if I can find it, Ham on Rye. However if you wanted to read his work chronologically, start with Ham on Rye, then to Factotum, Post office and then Women. Those are the main prose works, his poetry is pretty fine as well, but I only have The Last Night of the Earth Poems, which so far is a good read.
>>
>>7562226
Celine for Jews and normalfags
>>
>>7562226
Sylvia Plath for teenage boys.
>>
>>7563284
I mean, you can break it down like that if you want..but there are plenty of people solely in this thread that appear to be in agreement with me.
>>
a lovely writer, I actually appreciate him more the older I get..he's kind of like a father figure in that way...started out respecting him blindly...went through a phase where I was like "old man don't know dick" but the older I get, the more I come back to his poems and find some genuine wisdom there...also one of the few, very few poems, who evoke laughter and for that he's a nietzschean if for nothing else...fuck keats, wordsworth, yeats at all a bunch of fuckin poofs who don't speak a moment of truth...Bukowski and Dylan Thomas and Ezra Pound for god tier English poetry.
>>
>>7563300
I love Bukowski, but this is dead on
>>
he's a solid craftsman and his work captures a certain sense of dirty pathos, but he has a pretty limited range of expression.
>>
File: thatbirdprobablyhascancer.jpg (429KB, 1000x933px) Image search: [Google]
thatbirdprobablyhascancer.jpg
429KB, 1000x933px
Try not to "don't try" too hard after reading one of his books.
>>
Tries so hard to give off an aura of apathy. Shitty.
>>
>>7563281

I like his poetry but then again, I know nothing about poetry

The flesh covers the bone
and they put a mind
in there and
sometimes a soul,
and the women break
vases against the walls
and the men drink too
much
and nobody finds the
one
but keep
looking
crawling in and out
of beds.
flesh covers
the bone and the
flesh searches
for more than
flesh.

there's no chance
at all:
we are all trapped
by a singular
fate.

nobody ever finds
the one.

the city dumps fill
the junkyards fill
the madhouses fill
the hospitals fill
the graveyards fill

nothing else
fills.
>>
And so we begin
>>
>>7563294

Ham on Rye is my favourite of his novels.

>>7563300

Fairly accurate. Disdain for plebs who love Plath and Bukowski (and chatter from said plebs) drowns out any civilised conversation about either writer.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.