[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth a read?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: professor.jpg (53KB, 431x648px) Image search: [Google]
professor.jpg
53KB, 431x648px
Is it worth a read?
>>
No just read
>>
No, read Harold Bloom instead.
>>
Try "How to Read a Book" instead
>>
Try to read a book.
>>
>>7561477

(That was a serious response, it's by Mortimer Adler)
>>
>>7560959
apparently not worth reading at all
https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S7421085

that was a quality thread that made me get ABC of reading
>>
File: books on books.png (3MB, 1660x2156px) Image search: [Google]
books on books.png
3MB, 1660x2156px
Read any of these instead.
>>
>>7561671
some anon made a modified version of this based on recs/comments from people who've read it, does someone have that one?
>>
>>7561660

ABC of Reading is much more valuable to poetry readers (and especially wannabe poets) than it is to anyone else. A lot of novel readers I've suggested it to thought Pound was pretentious and retarded (probably because Nabokov said so even though Nabokov didn't write a single good line of poetry in his life and Pound wrote thousands), but (surprise surprise) all poetry readers I recommend it to have already read it and like it.

>>7560959

I thumbed through it in a book shop, since I heard a lot of people talking about it. It's basically teaching you how to read well enough to get a Five on the AP Lit exam (not exactly hard) and that's about it. Really really really really basic. I would even call it harmful.
>>
>>7560959

I just checked the "Reading List" at the end

MOVIES TO WATCH:

" Citizen Kane(1941). I’m not sure this is a film to watch, but you sure can read it"

" Raiders of the Lost Ark(1981), Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984), Indiana Jones and
the Last Crusade (1989). Great quest stories. You know when you’re searching for the Lostp. 294Ark
of the Covenant or the Holy Grail that you’re dealing with quests. Take away Indy’s leather jacket,
fedora, and whip and give him chain mail, helmet, and lance and see if he doesn’t look considerably like
Sir Gawain."

"Star Wars(1977), The Empire Strikes Back (1981), Return of the Jedi (1983). George Lucas is a
great student of Joseph Campbell’s theories of the hero (in, among other works, The Hero with a
Thousand Faces), and the trilogy does a great job of showing us types of heroes and villains. If you
know the Arthurian legends, so much the better. Personally I don’t care if you learn anything about all
that from the films or not; they’re so much fun you deserve to see them. Repeatedly"

BOOKS TO READ:

William Butler Yeats, “The Lake Isle of Innisfree” (1892), “Easter 1916” (1916), “The Wild Swans at
Coole” (1917). Or any of a hundred others. A medievalist professor of mine once said that he believed
Yeats was the greatest poet in the English language. If we could only have one, he’d be my choice.

> medievalist professor of mine once said that he believed Yeats was the greatest poet in the English language

that's why he's a medievalist and not a poetry professor, even though I love Yeats

"Hart Crane, The Bridge (1930). A great American poem sequence, centered around the Brooklyn
Bridge and the great national rivers."

Why would he recommend that to a newcomer? Crane is for people who actually read poetry
>>
>>7561671
>Axel's Castle
Good fucking taste, been a while since I've seen Edmund Wilson mentioned here.
>>
>>7561488
>>7561477
recommending these
>>
>>7561731
lel crane is babby-tier trash
>>
>>7561810
thanks for this
>>
>>7561660
>https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S7421085
Really nice thread
>>
nah m8 it's shit. i'm super plebby when it comes to literary interpretation and all that sort of thing and even i thought it was drivel.
>>
>>7560959
It should be entitled,
>How to Destroy Literature Like a Professor
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.