[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are his writings worth reading, or "dude weed" incoherent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Mckenna1.jpg (23KB, 205x303px) Image search: [Google]
Mckenna1.jpg
23KB, 205x303px
Are his writings worth reading, or "dude weed" incoherent hippie trash?
>>
the latter

Alan Watts is similar and more respectable
>>
>reading about hallucinogens and not experiencing it for yourself

Also t.mac is a wank...honestly there is no /lit/ from that era (excluding perhaps "One Flew Over...")
>>
>>7560521
What are you looking for?

hallucinogens?
try Doors of Perception, Electric kool aid acid test, or anything by PKD

hippy things?
try Drop City
>>
Calling his books "his writings" is already pushing it.
>>
>>7560557
No love for Fear & Loathing???
>>
>>7560521

He had some interesting ideas although a lot of it is speculation. "Food of the Gods" is a classic though, even if you don't agree with the main thesis its at least worth a read if you have ever done or are interesting in psychedelics.

>>7560557

you're forgetting Burroughs
>>
>>7560557
"perhaps" One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest? No perhaps about it, that book is brilliant.
>>
His theories were bullshit of course but I find them interesting anyway. He predicted we'd reach the technological singularity in 2012 and information would be doubling every nanosecond. And the stone ape stuff takes a big leap of faith.

Apparently he stopped using mushrooms in 1988 after a nightmare trip but continued to play the character expected of him in public. Like his lectures.

https://youtu.be/z5xfjjJJ-_I?t=50m16s
>>
>>7561116
>Apparently he stopped using mushrooms in 1988 after a nightmare trip but continued to play the character expected of him in public.
I'm pretty sure he said that doing drugs all the time wasn't good for you and at most you should do the harder stuff like once a year. I think the main lesson McKenna was trying to disseminate was that people should at least do hallucinogens once in their life, so as to have a frame of reference for something that was different from our normal, mundane experience.
>>
>>7561491
Are you trying to invalidate what that anon said about Terrence stopped taking drugs after the bad trip and then just playing the part? Because that definitively happened like that.
>>
I don't necessarily agree with anything he said, but he was interesting as fuck. I love listening to him, and I'll try reading some of his stuff.
>>
File: 1447528795115.jpg (21KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
1447528795115.jpg
21KB, 500x381px
He predicted Internet memes. Look it up
>>
>>7561116
>>7561715
Are there any recorded interviews or writings that go into what he experienced in his nightmare trip? I must have been something next level for a seasoned tripper like him.
>>
An entertaining 'intellectual'. He's not rigorous, any academic who doesn't get overspecialized deserves some respect in my book. Gimmicky, annoying style, interesting but not particularly unique or profound substance.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.