[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some books similar to this? I liked the dark humor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: Catch-22-cover.jpg (48KB, 396x599px) Image search: [Google]
Catch-22-cover.jpg
48KB, 396x599px
What are some books similar to this?

I liked the dark humor more than the message.
Google tells me I might like Slaughterhouse-five, is this good?
Is the sequel to Catch 22 good?
>>
>>7559695
Slaughterhouse Five then GR.
>>
>>7559695
Slaughterhouse 5 is great.

Catch-23 not so much.
>>
i actually liked closing time, but if you're looking for catch-22 electric boogaloo you'll be disappointed. it's a weird, flawed, bitter book about an old guy remembering how fun shit used to be with a couple of good ideas

something happened was the best other heller novel

neither of them are like catch-22
>>
File: gr.jpg (97KB, 935x1201px) Image search: [Google]
gr.jpg
97KB, 935x1201px
Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon.

It's Catch-22, only spiked with the best drug you ever took. It's a wild ride on a Flower Power chopper down the Highway to Hell. If you partake of the marijuana, you're gonna want to pick this book up. If you don't partake, then you HAVE to pick it up. It's what the doctor ordered.

* Man going down the toilet? Check.
* Pie fight? Check.
* Giant squid? Check.
* Kick-ass songs? You better believe that's a check.

This is World War II like they DIDN'T teach you in school.

Semper High, my friend.
>>
>>7559724
I tried reading this, but I had no idea what was happening. Does it get less illegible later on?
>>
>>7559735
>less illegible
the very first chapter does a stellar job of thrusting you into the apocalyptic chaos of a city being bombed, only for the realization to slowly set in that this scene is merely the dream of pirate prentice. from there you find out a little about prentice and his mission during this stage of the war, as well as getting a bit of introduction to pynchons zany brand of humor (the songs, the giant adenoid etc). i would say the plot gets a little more coherent towards the middle of the book but a whole lot less so towards the end
>>
>>7559735
Did you ever consider that maybe you're not supposed to get it? Man, not every book has to "make sense." Did you consider that maybe it doesn't make sense because war doesn't make sense? Hmmm... powerful metaphor shooting right over your head like a rocket... Try this one on for size: the military-industrial complex. The corporations make the wars, man. It's all backwards and upside down. Just like war. Keep the change, kid.
>>
File: Confederacy_of_dunces_cover.jpg (85KB, 295x453px) Image search: [Google]
Confederacy_of_dunces_cover.jpg
85KB, 295x453px
Catch-22, Slaughterhouse Five, and A Confederacy of Dunces seem to make up the Hilarious & Literary triad.

All deserve a place on your bookshelf IMO.
>>
>>7559735
The common wisdom is that for the first 150 pages of Gravity's Rainbow you should just scan your eyes across the lines of text without any hope or expectation of knowing what's going on or what's being communicated to you. Then somewhere around page 150, things become more or less comprehensible. Postmodernism, bitch. Don't like it, you can go to Reddit.
>>
File: 1437438017195.png (279KB, 342x336px) Image search: [Google]
1437438017195.png
279KB, 342x336px
>>7559724
>Semper High
>>
>>7559724
Giant octopus you illiterate
>>
>>7559724
Reddit is here in force.
>>
>>7559695
Catch 22 and Slaughterhouse Five are redditcore
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.