[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the shit was Sloane's problem? Did I skip something

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: stoner.jpg (338KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
stoner.jpg
338KB, 2048x1536px
What the shit was Sloane's problem? Did I skip something essential, or why was he so depressed about the actual end of the war? Does this get explained later on (I'm only on page 90).

Sorry for another Stoner thread, I couldn't find the one that was posted a few days ago.
>>
Oh yeah, let this 404 within the hour but fucking bookshelf threads can exist for WEEKS on here.

Seriously fuck this board.
>>
>>7556225
Stoner is one of the most discussed books on this site, friend. Just wait two days (maybe even less) and another one will pop up. No biggie.
>>
The thread was nowhere close to 404ing you sperg
>>
>>7556100
I like to think that Sloane was weeping for the figurative death of the old world. He truly loved the literary traditions of antiquity, like Stoner, and he could anticipate the transformation America's zeitgeist would undergo (Modernism) following the internalization of WW1's traumas.
>>
While Sloane is alive, things are optimistic for stoner. When Sloane is dead, things look bleak.
>>
>>7556231
It gets a lot of threads but most of them aren't actual discussion.

>>7556248
This issue is exacerbated because of his setting. He is constantly surrounded by new students which makes him painfully aware that the younger generation will accept this new world because they never knew anything else. Sloane is further estranged by the fact that even among teachers he seems to be the only aware of the descent war is emblematic of.
>>
>>7556404
Maybe try not being a massive cunt
>>
>>7556100
it is all explained on page 404. Turns out there is no books for Sloan to read that give him the the same feeling he feels after the world is going into turmoil, so he gets more depressed. On another note is I just got Catch-22 and the cashier told me "wow you don't want an easy read then" is Catch-22 hard to read?
>>
>>7556426
>is Catch-22 hard to read?

Not at all, its probably the easiest non-chronological book to follow. Were they over the age of 40? My teacher in high school patronized me by saying that One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest was going to be "too difficult" to write an essay on and reluctantly let me.
>>
>>7556442
No she was maybe 20-25. Makes me wonder though what makes books "literature" like are the stories just really good, are they written so wonderfully so people must praise them?
>>
> Does this get explained later on (I'm only on page 90).

why do you want this board to spoil the ending of one of the greatest novels of all time you flaming homo
>>
>>7556426
She probably meant that it's emotionally heavy, which it is.
>>
>>7556100
>why was he so depressed about the actual end of the war?

he was depressed about what the war did. more or less what >>7556248 said without the projected "love for anitquity" shit.
>>
Maybe he finally saw how the world keeps repeating itself without ever really evolving and cried in existential anguish.
>>
>>7557750
If the quality of something drops by getting "spoiled" it can't be that good to begin with.
>>
>>7556100
>>7556225

This bullshit deserves to be fucking 404-ed, and fuck you for coming to this board.

You're asking a question about a book you're not even 1/3 of the way through. Jesus fucking Christ. I don't care if it's even brought up later or not. The possibility that it could be brought up later and you're asking a question before you fucking read it proves you are honest to God retarded.

You're like the dipshit friend you never take to the movies or a girlfriend who you refuse to watch movies at home with because she's always asking bullshit ass questions. Movies you've never even seen. Like, "How the fuck do I know, bitch? I've never fucking seen it either!"

God fucking damn it. Then you have the gall to be pissed no one was answering your question right away. Fucking piece of shit. Get the fuck out.
>>
>>7557750
>"spoilers"
>the book "spoils" itself in the first two pages
>missing the point of the book this hard

???
>>
>>7559149
If I had brought this question up in a book club nobody would have been bothered. Please minimise your autism.
>>
>>7559179
In a book club you'd've finished reading the book before discussing it you retard
>>
>>7559186
What strange bookclubs are you attending?
>>
>>7559179

And if I were in that book club, I would have slapped you in your stupid fucking face. Your book club sounds like shit.
>>
>>7559205
>physically lashing out against people discussing a book in a bookclub

These are uncharted territories of autism right here.
>>
>>7559193
ones where people finish reading the fucking book before asking vapid questions that are likely to be addressed had they kept reading
>>
>>7559213

God I wish I could slap you in the face so hard right now. So so hard.

Oh God, my dick is getting hard thinking about it...
>>
File: whatever.png (13KB, 523x497px) Image search: [Google]
whatever.png
13KB, 523x497px
>>7559237
Take a chill pill bruv, or you might end up raging yourself to death like Sloane.
>>
>>7559193
>>7559179
book clubs read the book at the same rate, either you're all at one point or you've all finished it
lit isn't a book club, no one is at the same place you are, and asking questions because you potentially misread or didn't understand it (when you haven't even read half the book) is not defensible
if you want to discuss it or have a thread for discussion, finish the book
it's like 200 pages or something, it's really not that hard
>>
>>7556466
Harry Potter is something most "readers" would consider literature. It's a sad fact of the world we live in.
>>
>>7556100
I wondered the same thing when I read this for the first time recently. I still don't fully get it. My guess is this: Williams wrote this several decades after World War One, when it was looked back on as the pointless exercise in bloodshed that it was (that's not to say there weren't important interests being asserted by various belligerents, but on the whole, it doesn't have the sense of moral imperative or even coherent theme that World War II or the American Civil War had). So this was a way to show a sensitive, thoughtful, and above all civilized man shocked and disgusted to see the civilized world rush to destroy itself. I think this plays into Williams' theme of the university as the sanctuary, or perhaps the city on the hill. When Sloane saw the mindless rush to war not just in the community at large (indeed seemingly the whole world) but on the campus itself, it must have felt like the barbarians had stormed the gates. And then when the war ended, the attitude was celebratory when it should have been somber, and seemingly eager for another bloody, pointless war. And this too infected the university, at which point Sloane lost faith in what was left of civilization.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.