[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /lit/, so I want to get Infinite Jest, and I can't decide

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: 9780316066525.jpg (74KB, 517x399px) Image search: [Google]
9780316066525.jpg
74KB, 517x399px
Hey /lit/, so I want to get Infinite Jest, and I can't decide whether to get the paperback or the hardcover.

The paperback will be $26.50, and the hardcover will be $23.80. Although the hardcover is both cheaper, and will be of better quality, because it's a hardcover, I like the paperback's cover more.

Which one would you suggest to purchase? If you have the hardcover, would you recommend it? And if you've got the paperback, would you say the quality is good for a paperback?
>>
>not getting both

David is disappointed in you senpai.
>>
>>7555969
let's all come together and not respond to this
>>
>>7555969
but the paperback is only $12 on amazon.
>>
>>7555969
Don't get either; it's a shit book
>>
>>7555984
I live in Australia, so when converted to AUD it'll be $17 and then I've got to pay for shipping, so it'll end up costing more than buying it from the website I plan on buying it from.
>>
>>7555992
Oh. You should get the hardcover if it's cheaper.
>>
>>7555969

The paperback edition corrects some (although not all) errors in the text.
>>
>>7555997
Alright then, looks like I should probably get the hardcover.

Does it have a dust jacket? If so, what does it look like under the dust jacket?
>>
>>7555969
the left cover is objectively more aesthetically pleasing and the right cover is just pure unabashed sloth on the graphic designers part, wordsworth-classics-tier desu
The wear and tear that will come with the paperback though for such a big softback though will be immense, it's gonna look like shit by the time you're 1/5th of the way through from finger grease and molecular particles of grime that will make its way into the books' interstices
>>
>>7556005
Oh, I see. Are there many errors in the hardcover edition? Enough to make it worth choosing the paperback over the hardcover?
>>
I was paranoid about differences between the 1997 hardcover and the 2006 paperback, but there are almost none, save a few handful of minor spelling changes. no substantial sentence/paragraph changes/omittances whatsoever.

I've also been paranoid about my 2006 paperback falling apart at the binding but its survived 4 reads and still fine. unlike the fucking gravity's rainbow paperback from penguin (the turquoise one not the shitty deluxe riddled with errors) that falls apart every time I get 3/4ths in
>>
>>7556008

It's nothing significant. Besides what >>7556033 mentions in terms of changes in the PB edition, it seems like there was some effort to make the chronology work better by making minor changes, like to characters' ages.
>>
>>7555969
I once go the paperback german version and the pages were so thin that they deteriorated under my sweaty hands, and the the book was so heavy that they were under serius danger of ripping off if you don't hold it right.
>>
>>7556469
Damn, that's got to suck.

I ended up going with the hardcover edition, even though I preferred the paperback cover. I liked the plain cover of the hardback when the dust jacket is taken off though, so I probably won't even have the jacket on most of the time.
>>
>>7555992
I got the hardcover from bookdepository and it was cheap af and im also in the land of aus
>>
>>7556580
Yeah, it was 42% off, don't remember it being this cheap last time I checked so I got it today.

Hopefully it doesn't take so long to get here, I ordered War and Peace with Crime and Punishment near the start of last month and War and Peace is yet to arrive.
>>
>>7555969
do you know how to know whether or not someone has read infinite jest? because they will tell you ahahahhahahahaha
>>
I recently bought it on iBooks for $3. Pretty sure the price is back up now.
>>
File: image.jpg (40KB, 256x390px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 256x390px
>>7555992
I didn't know you could get the hardcover in Aus. I've got the paper back, but it looks like this
>>
>>7556006
shut up and just read it
you seem the type to buy a car without an engine if the paint was pretty enough
>>
>>7557358
That's the only cover I could find for it in NZ, too. Tried to find a different cover when I bought it for my friend a few weeks ago but no other options.
>>
1 collectible hardcover
1 hardcover to read
1 paperback to actually read
1 paperback for notes
1 paperback for removal of pages
1 paperback for work
1 paperback for your car
1 paperback for traveling abroad
1 paperback
1 hardcover to be buried with
>>
File: ij20.jpg (85KB, 570x867px) Image search: [Google]
ij20.jpg
85KB, 570x867px
There's a 20th anniversary IJ coming out on Feb 23 that's going to correct "typos and space issues" (quoting Steven Moore). I have to imagine it'll also correct the page of the Filmography that's littered with superscript numbers that aren't supposed to be there. That's an error exclusive to the paperback edition. I ordered a hardcover in 2009, and it doesn't have it.
>>
>>7558081
The content sounds interesting, but that cover...

Either way though, I've already made the purchase, and ended up going with the hardcover.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.