[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to read In Search of Lost Time in French but I can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1439228702307.png (940KB, 1708x860px) Image search: [Google]
1439228702307.png
940KB, 1708x860px
I want to read In Search of Lost Time in French but I can't really read French. I can stumble through articles on Le Monde with a dictionary and I read Le Petit Prince mostly independently.

Do or not do? I want to do it as a language learning exercise too but I fear it might just be irritating rather than gratifying.
>>
work yourself up to it you retard

you don't start training for a marathon by running a fucking marathon
>>
>>7553114
This. What is wrong with people?
>>
>>7553114

I did, went quite well desu.
>>
>>7553114
>>7553117
What's wrong with you two?
>>
Proust is an awful writing style to learn from. I say keep it for when you're already confident in your ability.
>>
I made a bit of a leap from Camus and Sartre to Flaubert recently. I'm progressing at a snail's pace but page by page my vocabulary is growing exponentially. I'm actually enjoying it very much; the slow, careful approach helps me to appreciate the tautness and perfectionism of his prose and gives me plenty of time to contemplate the complex imagery and character psychology.
>>
>>7553329
Also, I read an excerpt of Proust in one of my textbooks and the syntax was a little weird but it didn't seem insurmountable. I hope you know your passé simple though.
>>
>I want to read In Search of Lost Time in French but I can't really read French.

Well, that's a bit of a predickyment.
>>
>>7553107
Cant tell if that guy in OPs pic is legit autismo or he's a master comedian
>>
>>7553386
Man, he could have played it as a witty half self-mocking joke and bitches would have been all over his dick. And I think people laughed because they thought it was funny, probably not because they found it weird. The girl's question was a test to see if he spaghettied or if he was a clever guy. Guess he failed.
>>
>>7553386
Fake. The lame jokes in the testimonials are too much.
>>
>>7554816
We live in a world where there is still some measure of doubt as to that...
>>
>>7554816

Fake what?

Do you understand the post you are replying to?
>>
>>7553107
As a French guy I really would recommend reading Proust in Franch, however you should really be fluent to start because you may not see some poetic structures etc. and it's soooo long, I wish you good luck.
>>
>>7554968
Take a guess senpai.
>>
>>7553107
you are not going to be able to read the original french version without it taking forever. you'll be looking up words so often that you'll lose the meaning of the previous sentences you've just read.

i'm currently reading the davis translation. it's a lot better than the moncrieff.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.