[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Post Your Favorite Bible Verse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 165
Thread images: 19

File: TheGospel.jpg (44KB, 596x381px) Image search: [Google]
TheGospel.jpg
44KB, 596x381px
>>
Your teeth are like a flock of newly shorn sheep coming up from washing, each one having a twin, and not one missing.
>>
>>7550658
>There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free man, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Jesus Christ

Redpilled faggots BTFO
>>
Jephath begat Joachim, who begat Joseph, who begat John, who begat Jedidiah, who begat Elijah, who begat Ruth Baader Ginsberg
>>
>>7550682
thank you based christ

if only people from both sides would listen
>>
>>7550701
i had a sensible chuckle reading this
>>
>So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth.

Apparently God hates agnostics even more than atheists. Who knew?
>>
File: 8656058.jpg (58KB, 520x539px) Image search: [Google]
8656058.jpg
58KB, 520x539px
Deuteronomy 25:11-12
>"If two men, a man and his countryman, are struggling together, and the wife of one comes near to deliver her husband from the hand of the one who is striking him, and puts out her hand and seizes his genitals, then you shall cut off her hand; you shall not show pity."
>>
File: sssssss.gif (426KB, 400x480px) Image search: [Google]
sssssss.gif
426KB, 400x480px
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.
- Matthew 10:16
>>
>>7550780
>posts anime picture
>posts most violent passage possible from the OT

Can fedoras be any less subtle?
>>
>>7550780
>grabbing someone's balls in the middle of a fight

You know, I can see how that's grounds for cutting off someone's hand.
>>
>>7550823
Don't blame hats for how embarrassing your god is.
>>
>>7550763
>mfw the God of Abraham is a filthy essentialist
>>
>>7550857
What's embarrassing here is how uneducated you are.
>>
Then he [God] said to me, “See, I will let you have cow’s dung instead of human dung, on which you may prepare your bread.”
>>
>>7550682
Do you think that I have come to give peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division
>>
>>7550763

Wasn't that one of Breece Pancake's favourite verses?

In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return
>>
...Jesus was hungry.Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs.Then he said to the tree,“May no one ever eat fruit from you again.”And his disciples heard him say it.
>>
>>7550834
I'd want my wife to go for the balls if I'm under attack

>>7550929
Lol
>>
>>7550929
funny
>>
But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.
>>
>>7550929
lol what an idiot
>>
Thus says the Lord, ‘Behold, I will raise up evil against you out of your own house; and I will take your wives before your eyes, and give them to your neighbor, and he shall lie with your wives in the sight of this sun.
>>
Amen I say to you, there are some of them that stand here, that shall not taste death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom
>>
>>7550879
Why does a verse of your own holy text upset you?
>>
>>7551084
Loaded question.
>>
>12 And he said, O LORD God of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me good speed this day, and shew kindness unto my master Abraham.
>13 Behold, I stand here by the well of water; and the daughters of the men of the city come out to draw water:
>14 And let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say, Let down thy pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink; and she shall say, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: let the same be she that thou hast appointed for thy servant Isaac; and thereby shall I know that thou hast shewed kindness unto my master.
>15 And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham's brother, with her pitcher upon her shoulder.
>16 And the damsel was very fair to look upon, a virgin, neither had any man known her: and she went down to the well, and filled her pitcher, and came up.
>17 And the servant ran to meet her, and said, Let me, I pray thee, drink a little water of thy pitcher.
>18 And she said, Drink, my lord: and she hasted, and let down her pitcher upon her hand, and gave him drink.
>19 And when she had done giving him drink, she said, I will draw water for thy camels also, until they have done drinking.
>20 And she hasted, and emptied her pitcher into the trough, and ran again unto the well to draw water, and drew for all his camels.
>21 And the man wondering at her held his peace, to wit whether the LORD had made his journey prosperous or not.
>22 And it came to pass, as the camels had done drinking, that the man took a golden earring of half a shekel weight, and two bracelets for her hands of ten shekels weight of gold;
>23 And said, Whose daughter art thou? tell me, I pray thee: is there room in thy father's house for us to lodge in?
>24 And she said unto him, I am the daughter of Bethuel the son of Milcah, which she bare unto Nahor.
>25 She said moreover unto him, We have both straw and provender enough, and room to lodge in.
>26 And the man bowed down his head, and worshipped the LORD.

GENESIS - Chapter 24

I remember reading this for the first time and just being moved by the generosity of Rebekah.. If it is anything, it is Rebekah's altruism that got me. She doesn't at this point know anything about Christianity but still acts as a saint. It is an incredible chapter. An incredible book. All should read Genesis at least.
>>
So the Lord said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the ground, man and beast and creeping things and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.”
>>
Leviticus 20:13 "If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."
>>
>>7551170
fags btfo
>>
>>7550821
Great quote. Love the Gospel of Matthew.
>>
Ecclesiastes 1:12

I, the Teacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem. 13 I applied my mind to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under the heavens. What a heavy burden God has laid on mankind! 14 I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

Really the entirety of Ecclesiastes is worth reading by itself, it's wonderful.
>>
>>7551038
Deutoronomy 28 strikes again!
>>
Nevertheless, for the sake of David your father, I will not do it during your lifetime. I will tear it out of the hand of your son.

1 Kings 11:12

For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

Matthew 7:8

It is very difficult to pick just one, there are so many beautiful ones.

Also, it is very sad to see the hateful comments throughout the thread and abundance of irreleveant comments. Please just share your favorite bible verses.
>>
>>7550780
This passage refers to adultery. Back then, women were punished if they cheated on their husbands.
>>
Ezekiel 23:19-21

Yet she increased her whorings, remembering the days of her youth, when she played the whore in the land of Egypt
and lusted after her paramours there, whose members were like those of donkeys, and whose emission was like that of stallions.
Thus you longed for the lewdness of your youth, when the Egyptians fondled your bosom and caressed your young breasts.
>>
>>7550974
You don't mess with another man's balls. It's just not right. The balls are hallowed ground. Every man should respect them on every other man.
>>
Matthew 28:20

Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
>>
Ecclesiastes 3:11

He hath made every thing beautiful in his time: also he hath set the world in their heart, so that no man can find out the work that God maketh from the beginning to the end.
>>
Jesus wept.
>>
>>7551988
Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.
>>
>>7550821
>mixed metaphors (similes): the verse
>>
>>7551069
Where?
>>
>>7552259
derp derp whats a verse?
>>
File: 1437355975601.jpg (160KB, 404x404px) Image search: [Google]
1437355975601.jpg
160KB, 404x404px
>>
File: vatican-bank-fake-bonds.si.jpg (191KB, 690x388px) Image search: [Google]
vatican-bank-fake-bonds.si.jpg
191KB, 690x388px
Mark 7:9
And he said to them: "You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions!

4.Deuteronomy 4:2
Do not add to what I command you and do not subtract from it, but keep the commands of the LORD your God that I give you.
>>
I am the voice that calls out through the desert, "Make straight the way of the Lord." (John 1:23)

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will. (Romans 12:2)

...and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness. (Hebrews 9:22)
>>
So, for the second time, the Pharisees summoned the man who had been blind and said: / "Speak the truth before God. / We know this fellow is a sinner." / "Whether or not he is a sinner, I do not know," / The man replied. / "All I know is this: / Once I was blind and now I can see."

- John IX, 24-26 / the New English Bible
>>
Romans 5:10

For if, while we were enemies, we were reconciled to God through the death of his Son, how much more can we be sure that, being now reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.
>>
>>7552015

We're doing like 60-70% on topic; this must be a record for /lit/.

There's a million verses after this but nothing beats "And the earth was without form and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters".
>>
>>7552058
hot
>>
>Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon. A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, “Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is demon-possessed and suffering terribly.” Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples urged him, “Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us.” He answered, “I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel.” The woman came and knelt before him. “Lord, help me!” she said. He replied, “It is not right to take the children’s bread and toss it to the dogs.” “Yes, Lord” she said, “but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their master’s table.” Then Jesus said to her, “Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted.” And her daughter was healed at that moment.
Matt 15:21-28 (also Mark 7:24-30)

>dfw appreciating the rich, metaphorical symbolism of Jesus being a scumbag
>>
File: 2011-09-22_16.53.32.png (82KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
2011-09-22_16.53.32.png
82KB, 854x480px
Matthew 24:35

Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
>>
>>7552247
;_;
>>
Corinthians 4:7
>>
Ezekiel 25:17
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

If your book doesn't have it you got the wrong version
>faggot
>>
>>7552748
came here to see if this was posted, one of my favorites

>and you will know my name is the lord when i lay my vengeance upon thee
>>
>>7550763
I was going to post it as well. No room for irony, no room for doubt. Burn yourself in faith or hubris.
>>
>>7552740
Very impactful. Thanks for sharing.

>>7552465
Equally stunning.
>>
>1 Kings 22:22: And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so.

God put a hit out on a King and used /I shit you not/ a fucking ninja angel that snuck down and manipulated the visions of the prophets with lies so the king would go to battle and die. Some of the stuff in the bible that is under the radar is just amazing.
>>
"Think not that I have come to bring peace in the earth; I have not come to bring peace, but a sword."

I still don't really understand what Christ meant by this. I thought he did come to bring peace and love. Can anyone elaborate?
>>
>>7553826
I think he's comparing faith to a weapon, in a metaphorical sense? Jesus has brought the Word of God to man so that man may use his knowledge of the Truth so everyone may join together in the Kingdom of God...? I'd also be interested in other interpretations.

>>7553786
Your commentary was unnecessary.
>>
>>7551038
>tfw when cucked by god
>>
File: large.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
large.gif
1MB, 500x281px
>>7553826
Former godfag here; the term "sword" is indeed used in the metaphorical sense, in that his teaching (the "truth") is so radical that it divides people the way a sword cuts things in two. Abramic religions tend to deal in absolutes, and as I'm sure you know, that tends to lead to conflict. The popular presentation of Jesus as a chilled-out pot head who's cool with literally anything is a genuine mischaracterization due to nobody actually reading the source material.

2nd Samuel 13 v2:
>Amnon became so obsessed with his sister Tamar that he made himself ill. She was a virgin, and it seemed impossible for him to do anything to her.
>This is just like one of my Japanese animes.
>>
>>7553947
>Abramic religions tend to deal in absolutes

This applies for every belief system. You can't make any claim without dealing in absolutes.
>>
>>7550658
Matthew 7:6.

If you don't know Matthew 7:6 by heart, then look it up. It speaks to you.

Nah, real favourite is Matthew 7:1.
>>
>>7550658
Job 39:9
>Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?
>>
>>7553826
The earth is the devil's domain. Christ has brought a sword to slay that serpent (or at least to rid mankind of the actual worst thing the devil ever did, original sin).
>>
File: NO POPERY.jpg (158KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
NO POPERY.jpg
158KB, 640x427px
>>7552328
And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
- Matthew 23:9
>>
>>7550763
What if one is very passionate in their agnosticism, constantly seeking and examining religions throughout the world? Would that still be lukewarm?
>>
File: 1434568664528.png (640KB, 2028x1576px) Image search: [Google]
1434568664528.png
640KB, 2028x1576px
>>
11 And Naomi said, Turn again, my daughters: why will ye go with me? are there yet any more sons in my womb, that they may be your husbands?

12 Turn again, my daughters, go your way; for I am too old to have an husband. If I should say, I have hope, if I should have an husband also to night, and should also bear sons;

13 Would ye tarry for them till they were grown? would ye stay for them from having husbands? nay, my daughters; for it grieveth me much for your sakes that the hand of the Lord is gone out against me.

14 And they lifted up their voice, and wept again: and Orpah kissed her mother in law; but Ruth clave unto her.

15 And she said, Behold, thy sister in law is gone back unto her people, and unto her gods: return thou after thy sister in law.

16 And Ruth said, Intreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:

17 Where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me.

I find this deeply moving.
>>
File: Romans.png (664KB, 2028x1576px) Image search: [Google]
Romans.png
664KB, 2028x1576px
>>7554248
>>
filename
>>
And Samson said, With the jawbone of an ass, heaps upon heaps, with the jaw of an ass have I slain a thousand men.
>>
1 John 4:8 is pretty good.
>>
>>7554360
Durant compared to him to "many a great orator"
>>
>>7554360
So...he's given a thousand men la petite mort through oral that feels like anal?
>>
File: RARE.jpg (27KB, 232x217px) Image search: [Google]
RARE.jpg
27KB, 232x217px
>>7554345
>>>/x/
>>
File: what's wrong with you.gif (726KB, 446x251px) Image search: [Google]
what's wrong with you.gif
726KB, 446x251px
>>7554387
>>
Matthew 13:13

"This is the reason that I speak to them in parables: because having the power of seeing, they do not see; and having the power of hearing, they do not hear, nor do they grasp and understand."

Your move, exoteric-fags
>>
File: Luther Frog.png (184KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
Luther Frog.png
184KB, 499x499px
>>7554421
No man, when he hath lighted a candle, putteth it in a secret place, neither under a bushel, but on a candlestick, that they which come in may see the light.

- Luke 11:33
>>
all of ecclesiastes

Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher,
vanity of vanities! All is vanity.
What does man gain by all the toil
at which he toils under the sun?
A generation goes, and a generation comes,
but the earth remains forever.
The sun rises, and the sun goes down,
and hastens to the place where it rises.
The wind blows to the south
and goes around to the north;
around and around goes the wind,
and on its circuits the wind returns.
All streams run to the sea,
but the sea is not full;
to the place where the streams flow,
there they flow again.
All things are full of weariness;
a man cannot utter it;
the eye is not satisfied with seeing,
nor the ear filled with hearing.
What has been is what will be,
and what has been done is what will be done,
and there is nothing new under the sun.
Is there a thing of which it is said,
“See, this is new”?
It has been already
in the ages before us.
>>
>>7554459

Light is a sensation perceptible by sight, isn't it?
>>
File: Sun Fractal.jpg (2MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Sun Fractal.jpg
2MB, 4096x2304px
>>7554493
Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
- John 8:12
>>
>>7550682
In regards to our relationship with Christ. Hence, all of us being one, in Him. We are all ontological brothers and sisters.

Obviously things such as sex, and race exist. We do more harm than good when we choose to ignore this.

"And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female, and said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh."
>>
>>7550730
Also, this may seem picky but, the poster you're replying to is quoting Paul, not Christ. Just to clear that up.
>>
Let a woman learn in silence with all submissiveness. I permit no woman to teach or to have authority over men; she is to keep silent.
>>
>>7554528
Sex has always existed among humans. The harmony of man and woman and their complementary nature is divine.

On the other hand, person is not defined primarily by their sex, but by being a follower of Christ. Anyone who tries to foment dissent or conflict between men and women is guilty of a grave sin.

As for race, there is nothing spiritual or divine about racial categories. Different cultures can express their Christianity differently (Ethiopian Orthodox, express it differently than Russian Orthodox), and this is quite beautiful and divine in its way, but races do not have separate roles or functions meted out to them by God.
>>
>>7554627
Hey, Constantine, have you read "The Over-Soul" by Emerson? I was recently recommended it, and I think it's a great read that ties in perfectly with your thoughts on man and religion.
>>
>>7554607
Better translated:
Let a woman learn in peace with all submissiveness [to the Word, as all men and women must submit to the LORD]. I permit no woman to teach and then prostitute themselves/domme [as did the hetairai of ancient Greece] men; she is to keep peaceable.
>>
>>7554627
The near constant references to race throughout the bible and the way men and women are divided in all the bible's teaching put the lie to everything you said there.
>>
>>7554627
>As for race, there is nothing spiritual or divine about racial categories.
The Tanakh would like to have a word with you
>>
>>7554627
Knowing this, how do you feel towards people who believe that the things you mentioned don't exist and don't deserve much of our attention, and even quote the bible to defend their belief?
>>
>>7553965
Matthew 7:6 is a very good verse and should be memorized to heart by everyone.
>>
>>7554493
The light is also metaphorical. See >>7554499
>>
>>7551033
This really is one of my favorite verses. Why does that seem stupid to you?
>>
>>7554421
Good choice. Always hate when people try taking obvious metaphors literally.
>>
>>7553947
>The popular presentation of Jesus as a chilled-out pot head who's cool with literally anything is a genuine mischaracterization due to nobody actually reading the source material.
This. Jesus was pretty aggressive
>>
>>7550885
Try cooking with human shit instead of a cow patty and tell me how it goes. God is a bro in this verse.
>>
File: 1380681564284.jpg (7KB, 250x200px) Image search: [Google]
1380681564284.jpg
7KB, 250x200px
>>7550929
>“May no one ever eat fruit from you again.”

what did he mean by this? I mean, what's the metaphor. Jeezy is clearly not being literal.
>>
>>7556814
i think it is him cursing that specific tree? cause otherwise it makes no sense. But even then, why would he check a fig tree of fruit when it's not the season for fruit
pls someone explain
>>
>>7552058
>whose emission was like that of stallions.

I want this on my gravestone.
>>
>>7556834
and i guess its supposed to be about his general power over nature
>>
>>7556814
His petulant little tree rant is usually regarded as a symbolic cursing of judaism.
>>
>>7550898
Do you think that I have come to give context on 4chan? No, I tell you, but rather misrepresentation.
>>
>>7553826
It meant he was about to shitpost the most incredible meme in history. This would divide/cut the community at it's heart.
>>
>>7550682
Probably one of my favorites too.

Anyway there is a reason Psalms 23 is so well regarded. Its an extremely calming verse, and it comforts me whenever I read it.

23 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.

2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.

3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.

4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
>>
>>7556814
>the tree that bares no fruit
>visited by Christ
>condemned to never be consumed by another human
Sounds like he just pwned another false prophet. Jesus is the true Messiah and don't you forget it.
>>
>>7556868
Good lit doesn't comfort the comfortable
>>
>>7556885
Yes we should all be miserable all the time.
>>
>>7554474
>What has been is what will be,
>and what has been done is what will be done,
>and there is nothing new under the sun.
>Is there a thing of which it is said,
>“See, this is new”?
>It has been already
>in the ages before us.

This makes me think of cavemen looking at birds fly. Sure, they couldn't build rockets or planes, but they had these thoughts.

Great and humbling verse.
>>
>>7556814
Maybe the fag tree represents philosophies that no longer help man?
>>
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

I haven't read the Bible, and I know this isn't from the Bible, but it's pretty fucking cool.
>>
>>7557065
Le Pulp Fiction meme fake verse
>>
>>7550658
Romans 8:26
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

2 Peter 3:11
Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

>Greatest verse of all time IMO
Revelation 1:17
And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter;

Revelation 2:17
He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

Revelation 3:20
Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

Revelation 21
And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely. He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.

The Bible is pure poetry. God is an amazing writer.
>>
I'm falling in love with the idea of an afterlife and a real plan by a higher being. Sitting here, thinking existential thoughts for the last decade has been really shit.

There is a real beauty to a higher being taking care of everything, taking even YOU into account. Going to a paradise where my anxiety, fears, and worries vanish, and my family and friends are reunited with me, it's just too breathtaking for words.

Can such a place really exist?
>>
>>7554459

Those two are not mutually exclusive. The Matthew verse however is a straight-forward unambiguous claim that the teachings of Jesus contain deeper level of content than the manifest (apparent) one. Your verse is an allegory, and as far as I can discern, it says that whoever has gained a certain level of insight/virtue/faith (likely an agregate of the three) should not completely conceal it and instead share it with others.

>>7554499

This verse is again is a poetic allegory, and I would say one that actually supports my claim to christianity as esoteric tradition rather than disproves it. Jesus is shown to be the revealer who leads a person from the primary position of ignorance (darkness) into an enlightened state of knowing. Jesus would thus then through my interpretation ask and implore each individual to exert himself in following him (the metaphore of walking as of a journey, process of learning), instead of just a priori recieving the light just by converting in belief.
>>
>>7556814
A lot of people speculate that it was a metaphor for the Israelites no longer having a special place in the divine plan.
>>
Do not I hate them, O Lord, that hate thee? And am not I grieved with those that rise up against thee? I hate them with perfect hatred: I count them mine enemies.

Psalm 139: 21-22

That's real, man.
>>
>>7553965
Matthew 7 is one of those chapters that makes me wish God was real because I would love to be the inheritor of this fucking amazing literary tradition.
>>
File: 6950549.jpg (175KB, 535x798px) Image search: [Google]
6950549.jpg
175KB, 535x798px
22 And the men turned their faces from thence, and went toward Sodom: but Abraham stood yet before the Lord.

23 And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked?

24 Peradventure there be fifty righteous within the city: wilt thou also destroy and not spare the place for the fifty righteous that are therein?

25 That be far from thee to do after this manner, to slay the righteous with the wicked: and that the righteous should be as the wicked, that be far from thee: Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?

26 And the Lord said, If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes.

27 And Abraham answered and said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord, which am but dust and ashes:

28 Peradventure there shall lack five of the fifty righteous: wilt thou destroy all the city for lack of five? And he said, If I find there forty and five, I will not destroy it.

29 And he spake unto him yet again, and said, Peradventure there shall be forty found there. And he said, I will not do it for forty's sake.

30 And he said unto him, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak: Peradventure there shall thirty be found there. And he said, I will not do it, if I find thirty there.

31 And he said, Behold now, I have taken upon me to speak unto the Lord: Peradventure there shall be twenty found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for twenty's sake.

32 And he said, Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak yet but this once: Peradventure ten shall be found there. And he said, I will not destroy it for ten's sake.

33 And the Lord went his way, as soon as he had left communing with Abraham: and Abraham returned unto his place.
>>
>>7552748
ctrl+f "righteous man"
frankly surprised it took so long
>>
Matthew 21:17
"And he left them and went out of the city, into Bethany, and he lodged there."
>>
>2016
>christposting is back

dunno how to feel about this
>>
What are the essential books of The Bible?
>>
>>7557974
I never left
>>
>>7558743
Matthew.
>>
>>7557974
>dunno how to feel about this

You enjoy it, it will help drive /lit/ further to shit and make it easy to quit.
>>
>>7557155
>Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
Ohh, so God will come when our sun dies, marking the end of our solar system. Thankfully we'll all be long gone by then and hopefully in a different galaxy. Think the Christians will refuse to leave Earth even if that's possible, to wait for their God?
>>
>>7557484
>Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces. (Matthew 7:6)
They must have had a real problem with wild dogs and pigs back then, huh? I guess you hear or see about that happening occasionally nowadays, but not enough to make for a compelling metaphor for the layperson.
>>
>>7552290
GOAT.
>>
>>7554474
This is absolutely perfect in every way.
>>
Romans 12:9-21. I have a special mark for that verse in my Bible. It is what I read when I have done wrong and done good. I hope that when I die I may say I have done all that is possible with the power in my mortal body to adhere to it. May God give me the power to do so.

9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.
10 Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
11 Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;
12 Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
13 Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.
14 Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.
15 Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.
16 Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.
17 Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
20 Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
21 Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
>>
At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said:

“Naked I came from my mother’s womb,
and naked I will depart.
The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away;
may the name of the Lord be praised.”
>>
>>7558994
As a dog returns to its vomit, so fools repeat their folly. Proverbs 26:11
>>
>>7557155
>The Bible is pure poetry. God is an amazing writer.

Indeed it is man. I can open any random part and be blown away with how heavily it hits you. Right in the feels any time I read it.
>>
>>7557201
Read the Bible and decide for yourself.
>>
I like these threads and hope to see more in their nature.
>>
In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
>>
>>7552465
second this
>>
Proverbs 24:1 Be not envious of evil men, nor desire to be with them, for their hearts devise violence, and their lips talk of trouble

Nothing really serious but it's a simple message that reminds that I shouldn't hang out in the wrong crowd
>but anon you're in 4chan
meh
>>
Revelation 21:3-4
[3] And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. [4] And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

also John 1
>>
>>7559356
anons can be good and loving at times
>>
24 At a lodging place on the way, the Lord met Moses[b] and was about to kill him. 25 But Zipporah took a flint knife, cut off her son’s foreskin and touched Moses’ feet with it.[c] “Surely you are a bridegroom of blood to me,” she said. 26 So the Lord let him alone. (At that time she said “bridegroom of blood,” referring to circumcision.)

[b] Hebrew him
[c] The meaning of the Hebrew for this clause is uncertain.

(Exodus 4)
>>
What is man that You make so much of us?

The Lord is my shepherd
He makes me lie down in green pastures
In Him I lack nothing
>>
jesus cried like a bitch lmao
>>
>>7556814
it's jesus cursing the trea in anger. he did it because he is the son of man (he is human) and humans are imperfect and do such things. it's to illustrate the human qualities of jesus, who has also divine qualities, being god and all that.
>>
>>7550658
Matthew 21:17
>>
>>7554474
moar
>>
>>7559366
Beautiful choice, anon. The Book of Revelation is great.
>>
1 Cor 15:55 O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?
>>
File: drink and write.png (19KB, 620x527px) Image search: [Google]
drink and write.png
19KB, 620x527px
>>
File: eye-roll.jpg (34KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
eye-roll.jpg
34KB, 640x480px
>mfw this
>>
>>7550682
There's a reason that parts of the European far right hates Paul. They consider him the "original Jewish conspirator" who ruined the European pagan culture.
>>
Judges 14:8

And after a time he returned to take her, and he turned aside to see the carcase of the lion: and, behold, there was a swarm of bees and honey in the carcase of the lion.
>>
>>7559591
ESV ecclesiastes
>>
>>7558743
Ecclesiastes, then all of the New Testament, then everything else in between.

>>7562497
>>7561991
share your favorite verses instead of wasting your life away on a cartoon imageboard
>>
(Mathew 11:28)

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."
>>
>>7552290
>be 45
>recommended colonoscopy every 5 years.
>Feel fine, decide not to go.
>Just turn 47
>Stage 4 colon cancer because I didn't get screened early enough.
>waited till symptoms developed.
>only have 2 months to live.

THANKS JESUS.
>>
>>7553964
>What is Jainism
>What is "everything should be doubted. Even this statement."
>>
>>7565116
The statement "Everything should be doubted; even this statement" is an absolute.
>>
>>7565105
Is this true?
>>
In the beginning was the Swoosh, and the Swoosh was with God, and the Swoosh was God. And the Swoosh shoneth in darkness and the darkness understood knot. Swoosh shoneth in darkness and the darkness understood naught, understood not. And the sliver became the measure of Herod, King of Judea. The ruler built, then, of snickers and nicks.

In the beginning was the shake and the shiver, and the earth was spilt out, was built without form; and the form was without form; and civil disputes were settled by altar. And the darkness crept in to the rooms of the birthrit. The spirit of God slept in the waters. And God said, let there be someone, and someone said, let there be Babel, and foremen were hired and bludgeon was born. Cambodians felt as though they’d been fleeced. And God said, let there be flack. And flack begat forlorn who begat and begat, fungus in shades of red and of black. And nobody questioned the will of the Lord.

There was, in the time of Herod, a certain priest called Arch Deluxe. And Arch Deluxe begat Big and Big begat Tasty and Tasty begat Wholesome and Wholesome begat Honest and Honest the rest. There was, in the time of spillage, no response to frequent heartburn; there were Judys and Toms and brisket, no response. And Nebuchadnezzar who burned all the profit for Goldberg machines—one to brush teeth and one to comb hair and one to burn all of the prophesied profit.

And we, as you know, are the last generation: the brawling, the building, the brooding unwarranted, and Hale-Bopp's comet will flood all the door frames when God says “let there be dark.” And filament flicker foretells the risen, and you, the consumer, will sycamore perch...and you, the warmonger, will have 40 brides...and you, the shareholder, will lift with the back—and the meek, you can feast on the scrap.
>>
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men .And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
Thread posts: 165
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.