[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What books do you see yourself reading a decade from now when

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 2

File: allisgrace.jpg (530KB, 1340x1500px) Image search: [Google]
allisgrace.jpg
530KB, 1340x1500px
What books do you see yourself reading a decade from now when you are done all the primary canon?
>>
>>7549115
who is this pure whore
>>
20th Century Philosophy.
>>
I realize it may seem like I'm exaggerating for comic effect or something like that, but is anybody else in a position in life where looking at images like the one posted by OP has such an emotional impact that it's rather difficult to prevent yourself from allowing tears to fall from your eyes? Gosh adult life is so heartbreaking, its brevity is tragic and the scarcity of beauty can leave me so helplessly despondent. Despite all my analysing and logical reasoning and genuine efforts to attribute meaning to an objectively meaningless and purposeless university, I am forced to conclude, either by some form of reasoning I'vet yet to fully comprehend or some biological mechanism which forces me to think this way, that love, el oh vee eeh LOVE is the only redeeming virtue in existence. To live a life without affection, to exist as little more than a ghost, to have your heart beat so quickly for something you will never attain is just so depressing. There is a reason most song, books, movies and so on are all dedicated primarily to the near-ineffable emotion, or feeling or phenomena that is the love of an adult human being.
>>
>>7549135
You can get it. Just not if its the primary goal on your mind all the time. Work on yourself first
>>
>>7549143
Bro-tier advice right here folks
>>
>>7549135
Love is bullshit pal. Take it from a normie: your childish illusions will be shattered almost immediately once you actually achieve what you think you wanted. You're essentially sad because fantasies aren't real, which is idiotic
>>
>>7549172
Why then are most songs, most books, most movies created as little more than a tribute to love?
>>
>>7549175
because it is no doubt a powerful emotion. But you are not going to be happy if you focus solely on one emotion and leave the others un nurtured.
>>
>>7549175
They are fantasies, escapism
>>
>>7549186
What others emotions are you referring to? Let's assume you are an otherwise a stoic individual, at ease with your own company and prefer it most of the time, dedicated to realizing a number of ambitions, healthy, educated and so on, yet your overwhelming instinct to express affection and receive affection in return goes unsatisfied? And what if you realize that this instinct and desire seems more urgent and torturous to you than any of the aforementioned aspects of your life?
>>
>>7549115
Who is this trap?
>>
Completely serious: Ulysses

How people read this book without getting through the necessary canon is beyond me. I am in no rush to read this book
>>
>>7549172
This... Is not true. Even if you're cynical about sexual relationship love (although I'm in a relationship of four years and very much in love), there is still love between a mother and an infant, or father and son. Love very much exists even if it hasn't for you.
>>
>>7549250
its honestly not that bad and can be appreciated for prose alone.
>>
>>7549208
what type of affection are you looking for? i I think you are skipping any affection for yourself which should be no 1.
>>
>>7549257
>I'm in a relationship of four years and very much in love

How did you meet?
>>
File: Current_reading.png (26KB, 558x536px) Image search: [Google]
Current_reading.png
26KB, 558x536px
>>7549115
33 here. Been reading /lit/core for the last 15 years and am quite done with the classics. I mean, you can never really be done, but im at the point where I need to be reading stuff like Middlemarch and Aeschylus to be breaking new ground, and say what you will, but at this point I read for pleasure and knowledge in things that interest me.

Pic related, that and The Kingdom of This World by Carpentier are on my list.

>>7549135
When I had my daughter, I really felt my life was complete, I had never felt love like that before. I loved my wife of course, but it was and is completely different. I probably wouldnt die for my wife, but I would for my daughter.

inb4 she will be a whore, all humans grow and learn vices
>>
>>7549266
mebbe I would die for my wife, I take that back. But it is still different
>>
>>7549187
>being this jaded

Nah dude, shit's real
>>
>>7549263
Let's say a person has a great deal of affection for himself, in the sense of being proud of what he has achieved and what he has overcome to possess the kind of disposition and so on he has. Let's say this person also identifies faults in himself, but accepts that finding faults in one's character is beneficial and not in itself something to avoid doing. Let's say this person is very attracted to certain individuals of the opposite gender yet, for reasons that take too long to articulate in a single 4chan post to an audience who become more unwilling to involve themselves in the conversation with each new sentence, receives no affection in their life other than the distant, routine sort of affection offered by family members at the end of a telephone call. What is this individual does not yearn for a brief exchange of caresses and sensory pleasure but to communicate, fully and truly, with someone they are attracted to and who they wish to care for, encourage, protect and be cared for by in a world that this individual (increasingly) views as lonely, miserable, purposeless and in many cases hostile (at least to beauty or kindness, which the individual values). Let's say the above describes the sort of affection this individual desires, and let's assume even more and say that this individual sees the person who he wishes to be affectionate towards almost every day for around three months, occasionally saying a few words about something in their shared environment that the latter person needs help with. Now let's say the individual, after suppressing any and all impulses they had to make their desire obvious to the other person, realizes, after finally telling themselves that this week will be the week they will overcome these suppressive instincts and, for one of the few times in their life, admit their vulnerability (in the form of a need that only others can satisfy) to this person, only to discover that this is the very week that that person no longer frequents the place where they are so used to seeing them each day. Is this person so very wrong for wanting more from their life than the self-respect and so on they've managed to nurture over many years?
>>
>>7549266
Aeschylus is beginner tier canon, idk where you heard that Aeschylus was 'breaking new ground" but it should have been a part of the foundation of your literary education.
>>
>>7549290
It wasnt, I went to low tier state school and when i got into the classical lit I read all the histories and poetry and ignored (most) of the dramas. Diodorous and Appian and Sallust etc.
>>
>>7549172
>>7549187
I hope you find someone who will make you look back on these words and cringe some day anon, don't give up :3
>>
>>7549289
Look I appreciate what you're saying and I know that feeling of yearning for affection without getting any in return. For me anyway I too was looked at by people as lonely and miserable at one point in my life and I let it affect my view of them and I became jaded to fact they still loved me and cared for me. I wasn't grounded and my anxiety got in the way that could be a problem at the surface that you're missing but probably not. Just keep putting yourself out there and people will become attacted to you.Who cares if someone thinks you are lonely and depressed if you love yourself and know you aren't. And if you are then find out why
>>
>>7549264
Met her in a bar at uni. I was talking to a circle of her friends and when she walked up I completely ignored everyone else in the bar.
>>
>>7549323
I married the girl I met on craigslist for a casual encounter like 10 years ago. Strange things happen
>>
probably religious texts, particularly the eastern traditions, hermetism, etc. I'd like a solid basis on THE GREEKS and western phil first. ten years or less should be enough
>>
>>7549323
>>7549332
beta as fuck

why would you marry women who have swallowed gallons of other men's cum in their lives?
>>
9/10
>>
>>7549332
So you married a hooker?

You are truly living the literary lifestyle.
>>
Im not sure whether I worry about running out of reading material. Even the less popular books are enjoyable by good authors and then you can reread the greats over again. Didn't Bloom complain about having to reach everywhere to find something to read?
>>
>>7549595
She hasn't though m8. I found myself a loyal one
>>
That's when you start of the Eastern canon my friend
>>
>>7549779
where's the chart
>>
>>7549595

Because I am not insecure in my knowledge that I am the most attractive of them all, bitterbetaboy.
>>
My own book :)
>>
Obscure post-war urban novels.
>>
>>7550322
Enjoy consuming my jizz by proxy, fag.

Remember when she kisses your future children that it was with the same mouth that sucked spooge out of my pubes after I picked her up at a Swiss Chalet and fingered her asshole without asking.
>>
>>7550322
hahahaha

you poor bastard
>>
>>7549300
Wait you did or did not read Diodorus and Appian? I literally have Diodorus open in front of me right now, and have Appian lined up within the next few weeks. I hope and pray Appian is more interesting; my reading speed has been crawling for the last 300 pages.

Either way I feel you. I'm just out of college but felt pretty betrayed by my embarrassing total lack of any classical education. It seems ridiculous to have graduated from college (a liberal arts school, no less) and never read Homer.
>>
my diary desu
>>
Who is this spasm chasm?
>>
>>7549172
>love is bullshit
just because you are miserable doesn't mean everyone else is
>>
>>7550789
Yes I read the histories, every one I could find, even in fragments.
>>
>>7551332
Very cool. Ancient fragments seem really hit or miss; sometimes I'll go twenty pages in such boredom that I wonder why I bothered, but then I'll stumble on something interesting enough that I would have been bummed to gloss over it.

And some fragments are quite extensive; Polybius only has 5 complete books extant, but the fragments make up like 70% of the surviving texts.
>>
>>7549115
I'm gonna read her ass with this dick.
>>
>>7549266
what are some of your favorite reads m8 i'd be curious to hear
>>
>>7549135
I laughed.
>>
>>7549290
Breaking new ground for him, you imbecile.
>>
>>7550313
List I've put together.

http://pastebin.com/2Sei2S1s

Haven't really included philosophers. Keep them in a separate list.
>>
>>7549115
I'd spill my cream and sugar all over her doily if you know what I mean.
>>
>>7549143
There is strength to be gained walking past the oasis without hesitation.
>>
>>7549266
Your read all those Greeks and their gods didn't even bless you with a son able to pass on your vast knowledge to. Try again.
>>
>>7549115
>muh dick
>>
>>7549115
I'll hopefully be able to read more authors in their own language. My German isn't good enough to read Mann yet, but it could be in ten years. Same with Spanish.
Besides that I hope I can read the entire works of some of my favourite authors. Right now I'm just skipping through all kinds of periods and countries, not feeling like taking the time to read everything by Soseki or Hamsun for example.
>>
>>7549289
nice
>>
>>7553361
lol

doily is a good word
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.