[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 33

File: 71J-KChFmaL.jpg (205KB, 777x1199px) Image search: [Google]
71J-KChFmaL.jpg
205KB, 777x1199px
Hey /lit/, so seeing as your board is totally inundated with newcomers currently, should we have a QTDDTOT (questions that don't deserve their own thread) thread to try and tidy things up?

Anyways, I'll start with a few I have.

>what Dostoyevsky do I need to read before Karamazov?
>what are some good resources for checking on the quality of various editions/translations of a book, so I don't buy a shit one?
>what are some good online resources for learning better grammar, prose and for learning to analyse a book for themes, characters and prose?

Thanks.
>>
>>7541458
> What Dostoyevsky do I need to read before Karamazov?

I read his shorter works - Notes From Underground, The Double, The Meek One - and then read his other main novels - The Idiot, Devils and Crime & Punishment - before tackling The Brothers Karamazov. There's no real order to do it in, but if you've not read Dostoyevsky before, his shorter works will be the least taxing. Hope that helps, anon.
>>
>>7541469
Thanks. I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks and Notes from Underground seems popular. I might get that and/or Crime and Punishment. How do I assure I don't get a crap translation? Spelling mistakes and stuff also drive me mad, they always kill my immersion.
>>
Do I treat The Divine Comedy as one book with three main parts or three books?
>>
>>7541458
Learn Russian.
>>
Do local libraries accept donations? I have a bunch of books I don't want that they might find use for.
>>
>>7541483
that's a pretty massive effort for the sake of reading one author when you're brand new to literature.
>>
File: pictish_man.jpg (51KB, 407x560px) Image search: [Google]
pictish_man.jpg
51KB, 407x560px
1) READ SOME SHORTER WORKS AS THE OTHER ANON HAS SAID, THEN DECIDE IF YOU WISH TO READ MORE. ALSO, READ TOLSTOY he's far superior imo

2) GOOD PUBLISHER *EXAMPLES*:
CAMBRIDGE
HACKETT
OXFORD
EVERYMAN
PENGUIN CLASSICS (Yes, at times they use older translations - - as do others)
VINTAGE CLASSICS
NYRB
LOEB

>>7541481
EPIC POEM IN THREE PARTS

>>7541494
MOST LIKELY

>>7541478
MOST TRANSLATIONS WOULD NOT HAVE SPELLING MISTAKES -- BUT THEY DO DIFFER IN QUALITY; MCDUFF AND MAGARSHACK ARE GOOD TRANSLATORS OF DOSTOEVSKY, I CANNOT COMMENT ON THE OTHERS BUT I DISLIKE P&V

>>7541502
It's a meme you dip
>>
>>7541513
hi rei, hows life
>>
>>7541513
Thank you based shouting Pictish man of literary knowledge.
>>
File: 511d1j-A3UL._SL1500_.jpg (53KB, 305x500px) Image search: [Google]
511d1j-A3UL._SL1500_.jpg
53KB, 305x500px
>>7541525
I'M NOT REI; IT'S JUST ODDLY SATISFYING TO TYPE IN CAPS

>>7541526
No problem, I'm not that knowledgeable desu. You just learn these things over time as you read and research. Hope you have a fun reading experience my buddy.

--------------------------------------------

IF YOU'RE GONNA READ TOLSTOY as you should, READ THE MAUDES' TRANSLATIONS.
>>
File: 1451778659076.png (139KB, 268x357px) Image search: [Google]
1451778659076.png
139KB, 268x357px
Why is Dracula never mentioned on /lit/?
>>
>>7541513
>>7541539
So in one post you say McDuff or Magarshack and in the other you say Maudes, which is it?
>>
>>7541547
McDuff and Magarshack for Dostoyevsky and Maude for Tolstoy.
>>
>>7541547
>>7541547
Tolstoy and Dosto are two different people buddy
>>
>>7541553
Thank you very much for your help anon. I think my reading comprehension failed me there.
>>
Is anyone else unable to search project gutenberg or is it just me?
>>
>>7541513
YES, I CONCUR REGARDING P&V, THEY ARE A LOAD OF CRUSTY GARBAGE.

INCIDENTALLY, HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT GARNETT? I FEEL AS THOUGH SHE'S GOTTEN TRASHED UNFAIRLY EVEN THOUGH SHE'S LITERALLY THE ONLY WAY PEOPLE EVEN KNOW ABOUT RUSSIAN LITERATURE IN THE WEST
>>
>>7541494
not in New Zealand or America :'(, just donate them to a good second-hand bookstore that doesn't overcharge (or sell them if you're so inclined)
>>
>>7541458
Read The Idiot and Demons, which are so good they render the rest of his work obsolete (and that isn't to say his other work is at all poor)
>>
How would I go about learning simple Latin in preparation for classes on introductory and intermediate Latin? I know reading more complex texts and listening to lectures in Latin will help once I've learned the fundamentals of the language, but have no clue of how or where to begin.
>>
>>7541637
la lingua latina
>>
Where should I start with Vollmann pater f^milia?
>>
>>7541637
Buy a dictionary/glossary of Latin terms and proverbs. That'll see you on your way.
>>
>>7541458
My first Dostoyevsky was Karamazov. It wasn't the best move - I would've started with Crime & Punishment - but I fell in love with the novel then on so I can't say I regret it.
>>
>>7541658
so why would you say it isn't best to start with it?
>>
>>7541662
Because on my first read some of the things Dostoyevsky introduced that were enriching (I can't think of another word, excuse me) went over my head which otherwise wouldn't have happened if I had read C&P first, which is a much better introduction I think.

If you want to read Karamazov first, do. All I am saying is that your second read is when you will fall in love.
>>
File: tumblr_m7nd0e7DXA1qdcvlko1_500.jpg (61KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m7nd0e7DXA1qdcvlko1_500.jpg
61KB, 500x366px
I have a major hard on for Burrough's syntax (leaving out words, tenses etc) and that rushed feel it creates but I'm growing tired of the "Welcome To My Twisted Mind" aspect of his work. Any reccomendations?
>>
>>7541478
I'm reading the Coulson translation (published under Oxford). No major screwups yet, and I'm ~210 pages in
>>
>>7541544
good opening and then the book goes to shit
>>
>>7541637
Get Shelmerdine's Latin if you can find it in a library or online for free.

If not, torrent Wheelock, but ignore Lingua Latina as it is horseshit. Wheelock is fine but Shelmerdine is just more condensed, and what you mostly want now is a leg-up on the rote memorisation (both the actual things to memorise and the process itself).

Start working through the chapters. Don't move ahead until you understand things. You don't have to be absolutely perfect, but yes you are supposed to be able to produce a paradigm of the first declension when you finish the chapter on the first declension. It is not hard. The starter vocab you get - and practice drilling it WITH the principal parts, when provided - will overlap significantly with whatever you use in class.

If you want an easy A+, plow through the materials on your own time. Chapter a day, that sort of thing. When you get to class, it will be review - all it is going to be is what you already did, i.e. working through the book, but with a teacher there to 10% explain the occasional thing you find tricky, 90% to order you to actually do the work every week (and many students won't even do that). If you're capable of a bare minimum of discipline, you can literally simulate an entire semester of college Latin at a good university in like three weeks of intensive (not even intense) study.

Just start working through the shit. When you hit the class, you'll find 80% of the vocab you already know, and 95% of the grammar you already memorised. You will then be able to focus on getting the final 5% of the tricky grammar better than you did the first time, and otherwise focus on actually organically using the language. It's a lot more fun to take an exam when you aren't mostly worried about remembering vocab, paradigms, and principal parts, and you can actually just look forward to the exercises as grammar puzzles exercising what you already know.
>>
>>7541622
>not in America

Where in America are you talking about? I've donated books to a public library in two of the three towns I've lived in (didn't try to donate to a library in the third). I would think just about any library would take donations.
>>
Does anyone have any experience with the Martin Hammond translation of The Iliad?

I am currently reading and enjoying it, however questionable reviews online are making me second guess whether I am receiving an authentic translation of the story.
>>
File: 1451244886219.jpg (91KB, 911x347px) Image search: [Google]
1451244886219.jpg
91KB, 911x347px
>>7541544
The book starts off great, then gets boring, then at the end it gets ok.
>>
Anyone else having trouble getting through Notes from Underground? It's slow going for me right now
>>
File: 1407504498268.jpg (46KB, 324x322px) Image search: [Google]
1407504498268.jpg
46KB, 324x322px
>>7541766
I have a question about this book too

I want to listen to this on audiobook at work. Is it too hard to follow in audio form?
>>
>>7541766
The first part of the book is the toughest as it's meandering and contradictory rants, but it provides a significant insight into the mentality of the underground man.

Push through it, anon, as the book is rewarding and much better in its second part.
>>
>>7541458
What does Hegel mean by the concept "Force"?
>>
File: Portrait_of_Friedrich_Nietzsche.jpg (222KB, 600x696px) Image search: [Google]
Portrait_of_Friedrich_Nietzsche.jpg
222KB, 600x696px
I like the meditations of Nietzsche, and I haven't read Max Stirner yet, but from what I have seen here, I get the feeling that they complement each other. Is it true?
>>
>>7541513
>>7541539

Where should I start with Tolstoy?
>>
>>7541829
Гpeки
>>
>>7541458
>what Dostoyevsky do I need to read before Karamazov?

I have a reply elsewhere that's relevant:
>>7541835
>>
File: 1424991445789s.jpg (12KB, 229x250px) Image search: [Google]
1424991445789s.jpg
12KB, 229x250px
>>7541838
>Google translate
>"Gpeki"
>>
>>7541544

This >>7541762

I finished it 5 days ago.

It starts off good but then pretty damn slow. It is good at building an atmosphere, just not the atmosphere you'd expect from the numero uno Vampire novel. Rather it is the atmosphere of victorian chivalry made up of chivalrous men and of women being women.

I thought it was pretty nice though, but in no way what I had expected(except the first part of the book)

>Crippling sadness of certain characters accompanied by chivalrous response by the others, over and over again.

Is how I would describe the book as short as possible.

Again though, the first part was really good. It set a really nice gothic vampire atmosphere, without that I doubt the book would ever become the classic it became.
>>
>>7541855
>implying anyone actually understands vodka runes
>>
File: mwbw-zizek-570.jpg (38KB, 570x479px) Image search: [Google]
mwbw-zizek-570.jpg
38KB, 570x479px
I want to...*sniff *...get into Zizek unironically and so on and so on

how would I fucking do that?
>>
>>7541868
hegel.
>>
>>7541743
NY and Ohio state in my experience
>>
>>7541868
For the most part, read Gramsci, read secondary works on the Frankfurt school, understand what poststructuralism is, Foucault. The way his ideology thing is used on places like /lit/ is basically repackaging stuff like that.

If you want for some reason to go deeper into him, keeping in mind he is a philosopher in the same way Neil de Grasse Tyson is a physicist (maybe even less), I guess get some basic dumbed down version of "Hegelian dialectic", read the least intolerable cliff's notes memebook on Lacan because Lacan himself is not a real thing, and try reading his earliest stuff.

Five minutes of research into just how aggressively Zizek hams up the lecture circuit and manages his PR will make you pretty wary of giving a shit about his books. There is no especial reason to be interested in them. It's not like they were so good that he became a celebrity. He became a celebrity independent of them, and even now that he's a celebrity, still basically no one reads them, among his fans and especially among academics. You might find him being used in the only place Lacan is used, which is upper level lit classes, but (with both) it's always in a very formalised way of presuming there is some Properly Understood Zizek/Lacan which the professor then dances around, leaving a safe space around ever actually interacting with their writing. You don't read Lacan, you "apply Lacanian ideas," which are intersubjectively decided by pretentious lit scholars who roleplay that they all understood some meaning in Ecrits by mutually creating what that meaning is like they're playing with a fucking Ouija board.
>>
Ignat Avsey translation is best.
>>
>>7541868
Try "The Parallax View" -- he takes the time to define Lacanian and Hegelian concepts before going too far into abstract jargon. His examples also help if you get too lost. Happy reading.

It's helpful to have a background in Hegel, Lacan, Kant, Deleuze, and Nietzsche, but not totally necessary.
>>
Everybody step up the elitism and do your part to send the new scum packin

We grew here you flew here. Locals
Only brah
>>
>>7541458
I'm a novice reader and I'm reading Karamazov Brothers right now, first ever Dosteovsky book I've tried. I'm about 270 pages in and I think I'm coming along pretty good, sometimes I forget or get confused about characters at times but I have a pretty good sense of the story
Did I fug up
>>
>>7541829
I started with one of his short novels, "The Cossacks". Its a really fantastic read. You could probably do War & Peace first too. Do AK after.
>>
>>7542016
It can get a bit confusing later when all the lawmen come. That's where I had difficulty remembering whose name was attached to what since they didn't each get their own chapter introducing them and the last 10 years of their life like Feddy Dost did for every other character.
>>
>>7541826
Don't read Stirner, his ideas are either outdated or rubbish.
>>
>>7542054
Nice spooks
>>
Post the blue QTDDTOT next time, OP. We might need to make one of these every day now, given how fast the board has been lately.
>>
Fuck I'm reading p&v for Tolstoy.. then which translation is good for Gogol? And Kafka?
>>
>>7542054
How can one idea be outdated? It's simply an idea.
>>
>>7541646
fuck off grisha
>>
>>7542464
wait, p&v is the good one that took years instead of a few afternoons. yeah, you're not getting the same experience hemingway and joyce got, but you are actually reading something closer to the original and not what a housewife would had wrote with the original plot in mind.
>>
File: red gold.jpg (24KB, 236x346px) Image search: [Google]
red gold.jpg
24KB, 236x346px
Anyone have a copy of this? It's rare as fuck and the only copies I can find are selling for $500+

There used to be a pdf floating around but I've given up searching,
>>
>>7542464
I'm been reading a lot of bad things about P&V. A lot of their hype is driven by their publisher. This is why you see people who review these books say the exact same things over and over again about P&V translations

>Their combined effort, with one who speaks Russian natively, and the other who speaks English natively, produces the most accurate work possible!!

Anthony Briggs for War and Peace
P&V or Bartlett for Anna Karenina
>>
>>7543035
>he fell for the marketing hype

Maudes for Tolstoy
>>
WHAT IS THE BEST TRANSLATION FOR TALES FROM UNDERGROUND

I can't find any McDuff or Magarshack of that one. Is Modern library a good publisher? It has a collection translated by Magarshack that contains Notes from Underground.
>>
>>7543888
McDuff hasn't done Notes, and Magarshacks is in the collection. Modern Library are great -- good quality production.
>>
>>7543897
Thanks, looks like I'll order the Modern Library one then. Maybe McDuff's war and peace too.
>>
ill finish Count of Monte Cristo today, loving it so far.
what should i read next, Slaughterhouse 5 or Ulysses?
>>
>>7543915
He hasn't translated that. Go with the Maudes--the 2 volume edition by Everyman is noice.

http://www.everymanslibrary.co.uk/all-author.aspx?letter=T&search=&firstname=Leo&surname=Tolstoy
>>
>>7543928
>war and peace
topkek. I meant to say Crime and Punishment.
>>
>>7543928
3 volume*
>>
>>7543919
Not Ulysses.™
>>
>>7543935
why not?
>>
>>7543919
Did you get to what happened to Villefort yet?
one of the few things in literature that made me sick to my stomach, I cannot imagine a crueler end than to be undone by mental strain alone
>>
what's the best edition of Brothers Karamazov in spanish?

how wrong is to read the odyssey and the divine comedy in prose?
>>
>>7543986
not yet, i just finished the part where the duel with Albert was called off thanks to Mercedes. I was so mad when the Count tells mercedes that he would let Albert kill him in order for Albert to stay alive, what a cuck
great book tho
>>
>>7544018
Ya he's pretty torn between love and revenge at this point. I believe at some point he says he was "a fool not to tear out his heart the day he resolved to revenge himself."
>>
>>7544018
I'm not entirely convinced that he wasn't hatching yet another plan desu. It's not outside the realm of his character at that point.
>>
>>7544009
very
>>
>>7544324
I didn't write desu, what the fuck
>>
>>7544330
wordfilter newfag
>>
>>7544332
"At that point"?
>>
>>7544372
To be honest, abbreviated.
>>
>>7544543
I've never seen that word filter before, when were they added?
>>
>>7544637
When Murakami took over 4chin
>>
File: picture-1.png (403KB, 1440x780px) Image search: [Google]
picture-1.png
403KB, 1440x780px
why do you fags read fiction
>>
>>7541826

Don't listen to that other anon, if you think Stirner's ideas are outdated you're a retard who's only read about him on /lit/.

I'd say that Nietzsche and Stirner complement one another. Stirner does strike me as more of a proper "philosopher" in the sense he spends more time rigorously deconstructing various ideologies. Nietzsche's approach was more along the lines of

>muh slave morality
>>
>>7541855
4chan turns cyrillic characters into their latin lookalikes- it renders everything untranslatable.
>>
>>7544660
>if you think Stirner's ideas are outdated

they were outdated the moment the german ideology was finished tbqfh
>>
>>7544648
I haven't been on that much since around that time, I probably should have guessed that.
>>
>>7544653
any interpretation of anything is filtered thorugh the mind, it's all fiction. why not read when people are really trying to exploit that?
>>
>>7544660
Stirber is muh fuck hegel edginess and you have never read Nietzsche
>>
>>7541955
>who roleplay that they all understood some meaning in Ecrits by mutually creating what that meaning is like they're playing with a fucking Ouija board
perfect
>>
>>7544672
oh the tiresome cantknownuffin.
>>
>>7544665

>he thinks Marx's polemic wasn't just white male tears
>he doesn't realize Stirner BTFO'd Feurbach and idealism, converting Marx into a materialist even though he refused to admit it
>>
>>7544677
>opinion differs from mine
>can't interpret one line of text
>assign a meme to it and pretend it's equivalent

The mind of a shitposter.
>>
>>7541458
>totally inundated with newcomers currently
Yeah, what the fuck is up with this? Was it the imgur thing? I don't think it was completely this, a lot of them seem like board hoppers from /v/, /tv/, and /mu/.
>>
>>7544684
>It's all fiction
is a canktnownuffin

>mind of a shitposter
are you ready for shitposting generators? /g/ created one couple of days ago.
>>
>>7544679
>hasn't read the german ideology

memeposter
>>
>>7541662
I say you just go for it and read Karamazov. It was the first Dosto I read front to back and I loved it.
>>
>>7544690
>are you ready for shitposting generators?

They already exist-- you for one.
>>
>>7544692

Marx's attack just attacks Stirner's lifestyle

there's no legitimate refutation, there's a reason hegelianism disappeared from Marx's theories
>>
>>7544671
is cool fɑm, there's always windows character roster tɓh
>>
Best edition of Herodotus' Histories?
>>
>>7544679
>white male tears
Consider killing yourself
>>7544695
It's cool, I ordered a collection of his short stories and it should be here in like two days anyways.
>>
>>7544707
Landmark.
>>
Reminder you haven't read Dostojevski unless you read him in his original language as intended.
>>
>>7541868
You meme an author you haven't even read. How pathetic.
>>
Does anyone here speaks French? I need someone to translate a paragraph that I encountered in the book I'm reading and I simply don't know where to ask.

>inb4 juse use Google translator
>>
>>7545611
I'll try
>>
>>7545791
Oh boy, thanks in advance. Here it goes (sorry if there is any typos):

Bayle (Tom. IV. art. Zénon, not. E.) hence says of Aristotle’s answer that it is “pitoyable: C’est se moquer du monde que de se servir de cette doctrine; car si Ia matiere est divisible a l’infini, elle contient un nombre infini de parties. Ce n’est done point un infini en puissance, c’est un infini, qui existe réellement, actuellement. Mais quand même on accorderait cet infini en puissance, qui deviendrait un infini par Ia division actuelle de ses parties, on ne perdrait pas ses avantages; car le mouvement est une chose, qui a la meme vertu, que la division. Il touche une partie de l’espace sans toucher l’autre, et il les touche toutes les unes apres les autres. N’est-ce pas les distinguer actuellement? N’est-ce pas faire ce que ferait un géometre sur une table en tirant des lignes, qui désignassent tous les demiponces? II ne brise pas Ia table en demi-pouces, mais il y fait néanmoins une division, qui marque Ia distinction actuelle des parties; et ie ne crois as qu’Aristote ent voulu nier, que si l’on tirait une infinité de lignes sur un pouce de matière, on n’y introduisit une division, qui reduirait en infini actuel ce qui n’etait selon lui qu’un infini virtuel.”
>>
>>7541458
what caused the sudden influx of plebs? was it the imgur post?
>>
>>7545888
it's new year. what imgur post?
>>
>>7545894
https://imgur.com/gallery/ngExKHr

>1,084,889 views
>>
>>7545909
The comments are giving me cancer.
>>
>>7545909
>>7545921
>From skimming this list, 4chan seems to think the best books are almost exclusively written by white men
>no pratchet? Awww....
>>
File: Noname.jpg (41KB, 652x113px) Image search: [Google]
Noname.jpg
41KB, 652x113px
>>7545909
This was funny to me because my school assigned us Fahrenheit 451 and I actually read it, what a madman
>>
File: Noname.jpg (36KB, 659x64px) Image search: [Google]
Noname.jpg
36KB, 659x64px
>>7545909
>bachelor's in english
>just got a copy of 1984
>>
>>7545939
http://www.xojane.com/entertainment/reading-challenge-stop-reading-white-straight-cis-male-authors-for-one-year

>it's 2016, CMON
>>
>>7545982
>spend a year reading eastern thought and/or bottom of the barrel trash
what an awful idea.
>>
>>7545982
I'm doing my best to only read white straight cis male authors in 2016. Which is a shame because I actually was looking forward to some female and queer writings.
>>
File: Noname.jpg (57KB, 656x123px) Image search: [Google]
Noname.jpg
57KB, 656x123px
>>7545909
>>
>>7545994
I'm still struggling to come to terms with the fact that queer is socially acceptable again
>>
>>7545993
Tbh you could spend a good year reading works by Straight Cis Chinese Males like the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and the Journey to the West.
>>
>>7546004
Isn't it great? We just have a catchall term for people with abnormal sexualities.
>>
>>7546005
slants are just white men in disguise , I don't trust them to be honest
>>7546010
It's a pleasant sounding word too. Rolls of the tongue.
>>
>>7546018
Would de Sade classify as queer? Can we conflate queers with sadism?
>>
>>7544328
why, is not like a translated poem will be faithful
>>
>>7544653
Watch out everyone, Puritan in our midst.
>>
Anyone know of any good online bookstores in the UK? Besides Amazon that is.
>>
Any good sites where one can ask for critique of their work on different languages?

Preferably Spanish
>>
Stupid question here. I'm pretty much an uncultured weeb. The last thing I read that wasn't a erotic VN was Harry Potter 3 when I was like 12.
Where the fuck do I start? Preferably something good and easy to digest if possible please
>>
>>7548145
The Stranger is short and sweet.
Also the greeks.
>>
>>7548145
The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka is a great short story, and what made me decide to read seriously
>>
Just read The Brothers Karamazov
>>
>>7548194
How'd ya like it
>>
Reading Crime and Punishment, just finished chapter 1 of part 6. Am I missing something? I really enjoy certain parts of it-- that chapter about the dream of the horse being beaten was terrific, the chapters where people have conversations as a way to show Dosto's philosophy are also great, but they aren't that common. For every part, there are maybe two chapters that are really memorable and enjoyable, the rest are dedicated to propelling the story and aren't all that interesting. I felt like half the book was Rodya being sick and insane. Is this the general experience? Will it click in the end? I am enjoying it, but I thought it would be a bit better I guess.
>>
>>7541855

"greeks"
>>
>>7543919
Slaughterhouse 5. I banged it out in two days and it was pretty good.
>>
How do I write for characters of the opposite sex?
>>
>>7548345
I suggest spending more time with them.
>>
>>7545844
a little late, and not the anon you were replying to but here's my go at it

pitiful. Using this doctrine is mockery; for if matter is infinitely divisible, it contains an infinite number of parts. It is therefore not a potential infinite, but an infinity that really, presently exists. But even if we accorded this infinite potential, that would become an infinity through the physical division of its parts, we would not lose its advantages; for movement is a thing, that has the same virtue, as division. It touches a part of space without touching another part, and it touches each part one after the other. Is this not actually to distinguish them? Is this not what a geometer would do on a table by drawing lines, which designate each half-inch? He does not break the table into half inches, but he makes a division nonetheless, that marks the existing distinction of its parts; and I do not believe that Aristotle would have denied, that if one were to draw an infinity of lines on an inch of matter, one would introduce a division, that would reduce to an existing infinite what was according to him but a virtual infinite.

It's my first time doing this and a few words gave me grief (infini en puissance, the different meanings of actually used so close together). Can any other anons comment on the quality/accuracy of my translation?
>>
Couple IJ questions. I don't believe they deserves their own thread.

Both Hal and Gately have visions at the beginning and end of the book of digging up Himself's head al la Hamlet. Is this implied to be a prediction of the future or just another Hamlet reference?
It seems like the commentary in IJ on Himself's movie's are commentary on IJ itself - especially the stuff concerning 'Found Drama', the relation of the audience to the creator and commentary about the book (especially the ridiculous amount of backstory).
What was the point of the wraith? All he seemed to do was dialogue with Gately, nothing actually seemed to come out of it, from what I recall.

Thanks
>>
>>7546914
bookdepository
>>
My plan is to self-publish fiction free through Amazon until I build up enough of a fanbase to support later paid-for endeavors and attract a publisher. But right now I only have a few really good ideas, and I worry that if I release them for free then I won't have any material for the actual books later to come.

What do I do!
>>
How taboo is it to begin a piece with "I" or "The"?
>>
>>7548437
Just charge ~$5
>>
>>7548448
I suppose my question has less to do with price point than conserving content. I'm worried about publishing my only good material as the bait to draw in customers for later material that may very well not be as good as the bait. The initial book's sole purpose is to build a fan base.

Should I put together some trash as bait and conserve the good stuff for the later books?
>>
>>7548439
just DO IT
>>
>>7541721
I'm unfamiliar with Burrough's writing but you make it sound very interesting. What piece of his best conveys his style?
>>
What was the name of that Asian writer that /lit/ had a full on boxxy-style war over a few years back? He didn't capitalize anything, had lots of mispellings, etc, and IIRC the argument was over whether he was doing it to convey the characters as idiots or was actually an idiot IRL
>>
Hey guys I wanted to know if some of you know about Wordsworth, they release a lot of classic books in a special edition. I was wondering how the translation? I'm not an English native speaker and I don't want to buy something that I completely wouldn't understand. The books in the edition are also really cheap. Any one knows what I'm talking about?
>>
>>7548456
If you believe the trash will be enough to pull in the readers and then they will continue to follow you when you put in the 'good stuff', then sure, do that.
>>
>>7548532
>Wordsworth
Oh boy, here we go.

They are really cheap because they use public domain translations/works.

If you don't care about that stuff or the quality of the cover, then go for it. They are really cheap as you say.

>>7548495
Go to bed Tao Lin .
>>
>>7548532
From my experience the translations are sub par and the cover art is really bad if you care about that.
>>
>>7548569
>>7548575

I don't care for the cover but if you say that the translation isn't quite good then I guess I'll have to buy from some other release.
A shame really, it was too good to be true.
>>
>>7548638
What books are you looking for? Penguin, Oxford World's Classics, Vintage Classics, tend to be reliable for translations
>>
>>7548641
A lot of the classics. Mostly Dostoyevsky, Tolstoy and the rest of Bulgakov that I haven't read yet. Not only Russian authors but this is what I am most interested in right now.

I'll check them, thanks man.
>>
>>7548532

Wordsworth = Shit

just get books online with free shipping
>>
What are some good books on writing novels?
>>
How do i write a script for a film?

I can get about a million pounds from people to get this film made. I just need to have a script.

All the scenes and the story is in my head it needs to be on paper how do i get it done?
>>
File: image.jpg (71KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 380x380px
Pfft. More like threads that don't deserve their own threads. This is bad comedy.
>>
File: JJMembrams.jpg (135KB, 628x800px) Image search: [Google]
JJMembrams.jpg
135KB, 628x800px
Does A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man get any better? I'm a couple pages into Chapter 2 (the Whitsuntide play) and it's just not clicking for me.
>>
>>7548722
>from people
You mean "parents", right?
>>
A white van sped towards Jacob who sat uncomfortably on a hard curb. It screeched to a halt in front of him and out came a white haired man with a wrinkly face and yellowed mustache confidently displaying his pack a day habit. He mechanically spits out a greeting to which Jacob doesn’t reply. Jacob shrugged off the robotic greeting because of an overwhelming nausea that jutted throughout is body. He was being sent off to a rehab center by his bible thumping parents for smoking weed out of a homegrown granny smith.

I am trying to get better at writing, my question is how can I refine this?
>>
>>7548735
Pleb
>>
>>7548771
Don't ask /lit/
>>
>>7548771
A few breakings of "show don't tell" make it flow a bit hard - don't tell the reader that the kid is being picked up, put that into dialogue

You also need a few more commas, you sentences are too long for my taste

I think "jutted" is the wrong word here, it means "protrude", you want "spread"
>>
>>7548803
thanks for the tips :)
>>
>>7548736
No, from executive producers.
>>
>>7548771
"Jutted in to his body" is better.
>>
>>7548377
Thanks Anon.
>>
>>7548803
A white van sped towards Jacob who sat uncomfortably on a hard curb. A white haired man stepped out of the van and hobbled over to greet the young boy. He had a wrinkled face and a yellowed mustache confidently displaying his pack a day habit. “Fine morning aint it?” he spat out mechanically and outstretched a cold hand that made Jacob shiver. “What are you in for?” he asked coldly, “I don’t know” Jacob replied not in the mood for conversation in his anxious state. They drove in silence, the van humming along empty morning streets, the never ending street lights passing by in a blur. The man pulled up next a two story stucco building that was covered in splotches of decade old dirt. “Well here we are, home sweet home” the man said followed by a forced chuckle that wasn’t his own. Jacob got out of the car and walked up shyly to the front door. A large man in a suit opened the it for him, he smiled brightly making is skin jut out over his collar. “You must be Jacob” he said happily, “follow me”. The boy stuck closely behind, walking through a labyrinth of hallways and finally coming to large room with windows from ceiling to floor overlooking a small pool. The large man squeezed into a squeaky office chair behind a desk cluttered with papers. “Please sit” he offered in a friendly tone. Jacob sat opposite, nausea burning through is body like a wildfire. “Let me introduce myself” he began, “My name is Fraser Hatcher, but you can just call me Fraser” he flashed crooked teeth coated with a yellow primer. “I am the head here at Lakewood Rehab Center and will be showing you around the facility today and helping you get comfortable” Jacob shifted in his seat, “first off, I would like to ask you a few questions about yourself to get to know you a little better” he winked, Jacob refused this invitation. “Who referred you to the center?”.

added a little bit to it
>>
>>7548303
Apparently there is no "the" in Russian
>>
>>7548945
A white haired old man in a white haired old van.
>>
>>7548966

No, there is no definite article at all
>>
>>7549060
then why is it translated as the brothers karamazov?
>>
>>7548945
I'm new to /lit/, so as much for my own benefit as yours I decided to just rewrite the passage. Everyone let me know what you think.

Jacob sat pensively on the curb, watching as the van in the distance rapidly came towards him. An aged man hobbled out of the van towards Jacob. The scars of time across is his face contorted into what may have been considered a smile, his yellowed - and often times missing - teeth poked out from his course, yellowed by nicotine and tar moustache. “Fine morning aint it?” he bumbled out, offering his cold, clammy hand to Jacob. He did not reciprocate.
The white van rolled along in silence, humming along the empty streets of the cold dawn. Houses passing in a relative blur. "Well here we are, home sweet home" the man spoke as they pulled up to a two storey stucco building, it's walls betraying the same characteristic pitting and scars of old age and disrepair that the man did. Obediently, Jacob got out of the vehicle and edged cautiously towards the front door, which swung open to reveal a large, balding man in a baggy grey suit. "Aah! You must be Jacob!" he proclaimed with an unsettling level of enthusiasm, a great, crooked smile split his face in two; causing his chin to recede and a fold of neck flab to jut out over his tightly buttoned white shirt collar.
>>
>>7549219
from the op. This is so much better well done.
>>
File: lolita.jpg (225KB, 640x1022px) Image search: [Google]
lolita.jpg
225KB, 640x1022px
Hello, anons.

Just wondering if anyone else had a similar reading experience with Lolita like mine: sure, it's a short book, but I've found myself re-reading certain passages (because I enjoy them so much or they went over my head initially) and I've not managed to finish it as quickly as over 300-page novels. Usually I can read 100 pages in a day but this book has really slowed down my reading pace.

How did you other anons find Lolita?
>>
>>7544685
You definitely get a lot of the meme-sters from /mu/. I think they hopped onto our board because they like the impression of appearing cultured that discussions about literature bring but all they really do is shitpost like on their own board.
>>
>>7549428
I honestly hate /mu/tants so much. People talk about /pol/ and /tv/ but relative to board size /mu/ are easily the biggest shitposters on the whole of 4chan.
>>
>>7545979
It happens surprisingly often, anon. People are more aware of its legacy rather than it.

I know many people with MAs in filmmaking and film studies and barely any of them have watched Kurosawa or Fritz Lang.
>>
>>7548735
Is it the first Joyce work you've read? Have you read Dubliners yet?

It's just people often recommended Dubliners first as it's an easier piece of work to appreciate.

IMO I think Portrait of the Artist does get better but Joyce's pacing, prose (and even punctuation - he has a thing against the comma, it'd seem) isn't for everyone.
>>
>>7549438
/mu/ is an entirely plebeian board.
>>
>>7549440
I'm a thesis away from a film studies MA and I haven't actually watched as much as a lot of people. I really prefer watching stuff I really care about and thinking it over and over again than just consuming everyhting I'm "supposed" to watch. Just in your examples I've watched a bit of those both, but I haven't ever watched Kieslowsky or a ton of iconic french authors. I don't want to be an encyclopedia, you learn more doing and selectively studying than filling up requiered material just because.
>>
>>7549475
I understand, anon, but I've always personally felt it was best to consume as much film as possible and then comment on what works/what doesn't work effectively in it. Even watching awful films is a good learning experience for me as I can pick at everything that is ineffective and know that I shouldn't make the same mistakes as that film.

I understand people do have different learning methods, I appreciate that. I certainly appreciate what you suggest: selectively studying an area of film you're interested in is definitely more focused (and you don't want to name-drop theorists or filmmakers for the sake of it in an essay).

To each their own, as they say. The best of luck to you on your thesis, anon.
>>
>>7549440
>I know many people with MAs in filmmaking and film studies and barely any of them have watched Kurosawa or Fritz Lang.

This can't be true. I don't even care about film that much and even i have watched Kurosawa and Lang.
>>
>>7549715
I can vouch for it. I'm on a filmmaking course (BA Hons) and most people I know refuse to watch b&w films because they're in b&w. Say hello to the future of filmmaking.
>>
>>7541458
Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Hesse and so on (authors who believe in god / were christian) Actually believe in incarnation, Jesus Christ as the Savior and so on? Or they believed in the christian doctrine of love and caring like the modern so called "progessive christianity", without ignoring the logical fallacies in the bible and without having actually faith in the written history of the bible.
>>
Is reading the bible required to be a christian?
>>
I just noticed that Joyce's "The Dead" is being sold stand alone as well, outside of Dubliners. Can you appreciate the story without reading the other short stories first, since I think it was the last one in the book?
>>
>>7549850
The definition of Christian is "follower of Christ", and not only does that require reading about his activities and sayings in the Bible but he himself quoted from it extensively. So yes.
>>
File: questioning.jpg (1KB, 90x90px) Image search: [Google]
questioning.jpg
1KB, 90x90px
Please can someone explain what you mean by "DFW memes"?

I get that it stands for David Foster Wallace, but I don't understand what memes there could be about him.
>>
>>7549933
Lurk more
>>
>>7549939

Sure, i will do, but id still appreciate an explanation about in what way is he memeworthy
>>
File: Alternatives to the word said.jpg (54KB, 520x757px) Image search: [Google]
Alternatives to the word said.jpg
54KB, 520x757px
I've always been raised never to write anything except "say/said". No "gasped", "shouted", "cursed", "spat", etc. Are there any good authors who make use of these alternatives for say/said?
>>
does anyone here actually read literary critiques and essays? it feels like most of yall only pretend to like literature
>>
>>7550121
the consensus on /lit/ is that if you read literature for plot, you're a pleb. So I'd imagine some do. A lot of people are weary of essays because they think it's too easy to be "told what to think" and just use essays as a crutch rather as a way to introduce views you might not have considered.

How do you get into this stuff? I'm new here, only read two pieces of literature, got some Dosto arriving at my house tomorrow, and lolita a few days after. Teach me how to appreciate prose, themes and deep characters m8
>>
>>7550130
are you a student?
>>
I want to learn more about the different political systems and the case for each of them so that I can form a proper opinion, but I don't know what to read. So far all I've read is Atlas shrugged and The communist manifesto. What else is there?
>>
>>7550134
I am a student, but I don't study humanities.
>>
>>7550138
Das capital, reflections on the revolution in france, mein kampf and on liberty. The wealth of nations too.
>>
>>7550138
>>7550148
Oh and leviathan too. Maybe check out Pinochet for more fashy literature but beyond Mein Kampf I don't know any titles.
>>
>>7549951
Don't. It's shitposting and shitposting ruins everything ever.

Just thank your lucky stars you don't know what it is and read good literature. You'll be a better person because of it.
>>
>>7549814
Jesus Christ
>>
>>7550121
>it feels like most of yall only pretend to like literature

It's not that people here pretend, it's just the fact that a lot of people are beginners
>>
>>7541804
I found an essay answering my own question. Posting it for anyone confused by the third part of "Consciousness."

http://bat020.com/2011/05/20/force-and-understanding-in-hegels-phenomenology-of-spirit/
>>
>>7550138
History of Political Philosophy by Strauss and Cropsey
>>
>>7541458
Are there any dank /lit/ memes besides start with the phoenicians?
>>
>>7550267
corn
>>
File: 1380146106462.jpg (213KB, 506x632px) Image search: [Google]
1380146106462.jpg
213KB, 506x632px
>>7550267
>>
>>7549853
you can appreciate it but you won't understand why it's a masterpiece. Dubliners is not a "collection of short stories" it's one entity meant to be read together. The fact that The Dead can be read standalone is a testament to how good it is, but it will be even better (crucial) for you to read the whole thing.
>>
I finished the first half of this book and really enjoyed it, but it was so long it got boring to read though. Should I even bother with the second half?
>>
File: 1452077430218.jpg (18KB, 229x346px) Image search: [Google]
1452077430218.jpg
18KB, 229x346px
>>7550430
Forgot pic related
>>
File: 7465745622.jpg (19KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
7465745622.jpg
19KB, 400x300px
When people ask how do I get into Tolstoy, Melville
why would you ever not read them in chronological order if your looking to get into any author?
>>
read anythong before Herodotus histories?
>>
>>7550430
what's your wpm?
>>
>>7550571
authors get better with time, they also might change their target audiences. at the same time certain works will be more open to novice readers while others requiere a certain knowledge to understand what they actually mean.
>>
>>7550599
Not autistic enough to know.
>>
File: yukiomishima.jpg (88KB, 944x629px) Image search: [Google]
yukiomishima.jpg
88KB, 944x629px
where should I start with Mishima?
>>
File: 1451961465759.jpg (296KB, 1483x2205px) Image search: [Google]
1451961465759.jpg
296KB, 1483x2205px
>>7550649
>>
>>7550653
thanks
>>
>>7550653
are there flowcharts like this for other authors?
>>
File: Robert Anton Wilson.jpg (1MB, 2192x1232px) Image search: [Google]
Robert Anton Wilson.jpg
1MB, 2192x1232px
>>7550852
>>
>>7550866
are these on the wiki? This is my first time seeing them. If not, how did you find them?
>>
File: Italo Calvino.jpg (443KB, 2468x1252px) Image search: [Google]
Italo Calvino.jpg
443KB, 2468x1252px
>>7550852
another
>>
>>7550871
Yeah I think a lot of them are on the wiki. I just save all the ones I see posted here
>>
>>7550236
What books do you recommend for begginers?
I read 1984 and I didn't like it at all.
>>
>>7550916

What did you dislike about 1984?

What kind of reading have you enjoyed in the past?
>>
>>7550976
Boring plot, didn't really enjoy the characters and the romance was gay. Ive' read the harry potter series which wasn't that great but I really like GoT and have been thinking about getting into the books, but came here because I need something more complex for my mighty intellect and wit..
>>
>>7550980

Have you ever read anything besides Harry Potter?
>>
>>7550976
About this book, it's just because there's no hero and the final is boring as fuck.
>>7550980
I'm not that guy

I know a little about brazillian literature, and I liked Machado de Assis.
Should I read who influeced him?
Shakespeare, Schopenhauer, Xavier de Maistre, Montaigne, Pascal, Sterne, Swift
>>
>>7550998
we did great expectations when I was still in school, honestly I never paid much attention though, always been a smart but lazy underachiever kinda guy
>>7550999
fuck you man, I was having fun.
>>
>>7551010
> Boring plot, didn't really enjoy the characters and the romance was gay. Ive' read the harry potter series which wasn't that great but I really like GoT and have been thinking about getting into the books, but came here because I need something more complex for my mighty intellect and wit..

> we did great expectations when I was still in school, honestly I never paid much attention though, always been a smart but lazy underachiever kinda guy

This memeing is just too much man
>>
>>7548145
I'd say go to the /lit/ wiki (link on sticky), go on recommendations > literature by type and take a look at the Novellas, then click on some (they link to their respective wikipedia page) and go with one that fancies you the most.
>>
How long is the Count of Monte Christo? It should be around 1000 pages right? Trying to find a non -abriged version.
>>
>>7541458
I heard you fags made a book with a bunch of bane stories and published it on amazon. Is this true?

I'm not from /lit/ btw.
>>
>>7550668
ya
>>
>>7551581
Yeah. Two of them. They blow but that's okay.
>>
>>7551601
Links pls.
>>
>>7551611
pfd of the first one
https://web.archive.org/web/20141006094052/http://www.totalitarian.info/public/assets/totalitarian.pdf
>>
>>7550130
Learn philosophy. Philosophy and thematic reading go hand in hand since you look at the interplay of characters and events in the book as examples of an overarching theme that supports a philosophical point. There's a lot of good books for this kind of thing: Siddartha, the Stranger, etc.
>>
File: 1428469138759.jpg (193KB, 767x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1428469138759.jpg
193KB, 767x1024px
>>7541458
>tfw I read The Brothers Karamazov in 8th grade
>tfw I got an award for it
>tfw I understood jack shit in the book and need to reread it
I'm still a fucking dumbass.

Anyway, I need something a little more on the short side after finishing a Confederacy of Dunces, what are some good/essential novellas?

I also want to hear what /lit/ feels about plays, what are some good plays?

I'm also thinking of reading A Hundred Years of Solitude soon, is it worth it? Is it complicated? What should I be looking for in the book to better understand/enjoy it?

Also, I've been using BookZ as my main source of acquiring new material to read, but I can't find some more obscure works like journey to the west or some eastern spiritual works, would gen.lib.ru or whatever it's called have it or should I look for more obscure books offline or on amazon?

Thanks in advance friends.
>>
Is this a good translation/edition?
>>
>>7552966
the afterword is terrible but the translation is pretty good
>>
File: 1438492326273.png (209KB, 555x594px) Image search: [Google]
1438492326273.png
209KB, 555x594px
>>7552261
>I also want to hear what /lit/ feels about plays, what are some good plays?
The classics are worth reading ofc but it is pretty pointless to read plays rather than go see them.
I'd recommend New York Trilogy by Paul Auster. three novellas, fantastic.

I'd like to know what William Gibson I should read. Just finished Neuromancer, loved it
>>
>>7552261
Plays? Check out Aristophanes, Euripides, Shakespeare, Ibsen, Lorca, Chekov, Pirandello, O'Neill and Beckett.
>>
>>7553033
Same Anon. And also Moliere and Racine.
>>
>>7553033
Good list, I would also add Tennessee Williams.
>>
Hi /lit/,

I'm currently reading Infinite Jest. I'm 5 chapters in and am enjoying it. However, I was wondering if eventually there's going to be any kind of a formal plot or is it extensive character portraits?

Don't get me wrong, I like it so far. I'm just wondering about what I'm getting into.
>>
>>7553058
No plot. The novel dances around the plot and you're expected to infer the plot from the moves in the dance.
>>
>>7553061

I see. Thank you.
>>
File: 1451990330813.jpg (71KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
1451990330813.jpg
71KB, 1000x666px
Has there ever been any book that loops?
>>
>>7544699
Confrimed for not reading it, Marx destroys stirner. It takes him 500 pages but there's nothing left once he's done
>>
>>7553096
>>7553096
marx also destroyed a billion russian and chinese by spreading poison ideology that should probably be treated about the same as CP lmao
>>
>>7553096

read stirner lad, i understand Marx's critique is canon and you're obliged to follow it, but stirner can't be refuted because he denies the premises from whose fornicating resulted in communism

Marx can only really address Stirner's strange description of the epochs of history and his union of egoists, both of which are not central to his main point

voluntary egoism cannot be refuted if it is agreed upon that God does not exist, which Marx does
>>
>>7553118
more than stirner ever did
>>
>>7553096
>Marx destroys stirner

Jon Stewart brutally skullfucks this single mom homeschooler [link]
permalink; save; parent; give gold.
>>
>>7553131
you've probably never even read the ego and his own you memeloving fuck
>>
>>7553130
>at least he killed people
This is your defense of Marx?
>>
>>7553090
I've been trying to think of a way to do this idea that doesn't come across as pretentious as fuck
>>
Hey /lit/, I'm doing a psych thesis on guilt this year and I wanna read a bunch of fiction that features characters dealing with guilt this year. Can you think of any? Thanks
>>
>>7553090
Finnegans Wake literally does this as the first line is a continuation of the final line
>>
>>7553090
Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace is told in the shape of a fractal.
>>
>>7546004
blame shitty tumblr discourse
>>
/lit/, where I live, English translations for Asian works are expensive

Why is that?
>>
>>7548398
You should just google 'IJ ending explained' and read all the 20+ links tbqh familia, it's all there I believe.
maybe except for the wraith bit, can't recall this well, but the Wraith is there so Gately tells Hal about IJ
>>
Anyone know any well-written novels with gay/lesbian themes? I've already enjoyed Nightwood, Naked Lunch, TPoDG and The Color Purple.
Also, how good is the Anthony Briggs translation for W&P?
>>
>>7553881
Forster's Maurice is pretty good for what it's worth, though personally I don't enjoy his prose.
>>
>>7553881
It's a recurring theme in Yukio Mishima's books. I recommend Confessions of a Mask for that in particular, it's his first novel.
>>
Why is Maude's Anna Karenina better than P&V?

i've already read P&V and wondering if i should reread maudes
>>
What's the best version of War and Peace?
>>
>>7554479
Reads better. Get a short story and find out for yourself if you like it.

>>7554494
The Everyman edition is lovely.
>>
>>7554500

well it's 3 bucks on amazon and i was already thinking of rereading
>>
In my first year of uni I had to do a short presentation on a Critical Theory-related topic. I was assigned linguistics/language and the extracts were from Saussure and Austin. Anyway, I want to learn more regarding that area and from what I've heard Saussure is the OG. Is there anyone I should read before Course on General Linguistics?
>>
>>7553433
Crime and Punishment is the most obvious one
The Metamorphosis has some of Gregor dealing with his guilt at being unable to provide
near the end of Moby Dick, Ahab shows complete guilt and regret for leaving his family for so many years
>>
Can someone rec me the closest to the original editions for Paradise Lost, Canterbury tales & Thomas Middleton? I don't want updated/ modernized prose, spelling & grammar, I want to read it as it was originally published. Explanatory footnotes are important to me though.

I've even noticed Norton Critical "modernizes" the poems. I bought a Penguin of Paradise Lost and it was the whole damn thing in modern english.
>>
>>7554494
Anthony briggs translation
>>
>>7554644
You wouldn't understand Canterbury Tales
>>
>>7554606
Metamorphosis also ends with his family feeling guilt too
>>
>>7554644
Do you mean Paradise Loft?
>>
How do you guys learn/recite poems ?
>>
I apologize profusely if this has been answered prior to my asking, but as a poor college student, I find it difficult to afford books for my reading. Is ThriftBooks a trustworthy site?
>>
Are the translations of Dostoyevsky's works by Constance Garnett adequate?
>>
If someone could recommend the best translation of I Am A Cat, I would appreciate it.
>>
>>7555265
No, Garnett is often one to stay away from
>>
>>7555278
I've heard other people saying the exact opposite, that Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky miss the essence of the books. So I'm a bit confused who is "right".
>>
>>7555348
https://www.commentarymagazine.com/articles/the-pevearsion-of-russian-literature/

http://www.firstthings.com/blogs/firstthoughts/2013/01/the-pevearvolokhonsky-hype-machine-and-how-it-could-have-been-stopped-or-at-least-slowed-down

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2005/11/07/the-translation-wars
>>
>>7555348
honestly i don't care for either
garnett has her charm but has lots of errors and the style always seems to be her own at the expense of the author's, and p & v seem clunky and overhyped.
it's not like those are the only two options though
>>
>>7555266
There's only one?
>>
>>7555383
I love how 6 months ago /lit/ was sucking P&V dick and now we've dug up articles criticising them. We really can't stop being contrarian, can we?
>>
>>7555535
i'll have you know that i've been criticising them for at least a year since i read war and peace and tried a few versions before settling on one that didn't read like shit
>>
File: 1391715197651.gif (3MB, 290x210px) Image search: [Google]
1391715197651.gif
3MB, 290x210px
Not really a question related directly to /lit/ or a newfag, but I don't feel like making a new thread for such a small question:
1) What would be a good introductory and general book about psychology, or a list of essential books about the topic (preferably more modern books)
2) Same as above but with International Relations and Political Science

I have general courses about those topics next semester, and I feel like checking out what's to come.

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>7555535
Learn to distinguish the ponderously shifting tides of the sludge from the people who bypass the sludge to make their own decisions
>>
>>7554494
Do you mean translation or edition? Best translation is a stupid question. It all depends what you want from a translation. There is no 'best' translation for anything.
>>
>>7555348
No one is right. That's the point. Translation isn't something objective. People like different translations for different reasons.
>>
>>7555561
>>7555544
You can lie to me, but you can't lie to Jesus
>>
>>7555535
/lit/ isn't contrarian, they just don't have opinions of their own, especially about translation because they know nothing about it. They recommended P&V when it was hyped by everyone, but since internet opinion has shifted and the marketing hype of P&V has died down, you get people going against them.

Notice how no one ever says why they recommend a specific translation, it's just this one sucks or this one doesn't.
>>
>>7555593
People had reasons for suggesting it, I've seen them be accused of (if not outright shills) just repeating what they heard from marketers. There really isn't any way to reach a definitive answer as to what's happening with an anonymous community like this. We're both starting from two opposite axioms (either /lit/ is contrarian or /lit/ needs to be spoonfed opinions)
>>
>>7555616
They can be both at the same time, they aren't mutually exclusive.

/lit/ heavily supports the canon, and that could be seen as contrarian against popular opinion, but just spoofed opinions from literary critics and the like.

But it really comes down to my central point that most people here don't really know much about literature (especially translation)
>>
This is roughly relevant to /lit/, but alright. Anons, I decided I'm gonna major in English and minor in Math.
Question: What school in Georgia, US, would be better for this: UGA or GSU? I'm at another state school for retards currently, figured if I'm gonna make myself unemployable I might as well do it at a reputable school. I tried looking it up myself but google gives me nothing aside from Emory which I can't afford
>>
>>7555949
i live in georgia. UGA is way better. most people go to gsu because they weren't admitted to uga and hope to transfer there.
>>
>>7555549
>Same as above but with International Relations and Political Science

>Understanding International Conflicts: An Introduction to Theory and History by Nye
It's an alright IR introductory course textbook

or read K. Waltz. basically majority of IR theories has been footnotes to his Theory of International Politics.

or just skim the syllabus and read ahead the required materials.
>>
>>7555549
>Same as above but with International Relations and Political Science

>Understanding International Conflicts: An Introduction to Theory and History by Nye
It's an alright IR introductory course textbook

or read K. Waltz. basically majority of IR theories are footnotes to his Theory of International Politics.

or just skim the syllabus and read ahead the required materials.
>>
>>7556587
fuck
>>
>>7550430
>>7550437
Bumping this
>>
>>7549475

Do watch Kieslowski, nobody makes films like he does.

If there's one filmmaker you absolutely can't skip it's him.
>>
File: whydidyoukilljohnlennon.png (280KB, 547x474px) Image search: [Google]
whydidyoukilljohnlennon.png
280KB, 547x474px
What Philip Dick should I start off with? Ubik is what I am told.
>>
How do I become better at analysing and understanding the underlying message of a story? I just finished reading "The Burrow" by kafka, and had problems understanding it.
>>
>>7558774

Eh, Ubik might be a bit too "out there" to begin with, although it is his greatest work.

Maybe start with Man In The High Castle, its a lot more traditional.
>>
What's the book called about a Polish prince that was locked up because he'll fuck everything up and the proceeds to fuck everything up.
>>
>>7551575
My edition (Penguin) has 1276 pages including Notes
>>
>>7560094
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.