[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>writer believes using fancy words is good writing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

File: enough.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
enough.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>writer believes using fancy words is good writing
>>
>a frogposter who hasn't killed himself yet
>>
>>7540100

This is a good point, but there's a difference between an author stroking their ego with gratuitous purple prose, versus the incidental usage of less common phrases or adjectives because it's necessary to provide a vivid and accurate image of whatever the novel is trying to impress upon the reader. The distinction should be clear.
>>
>>7540100

?
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zipf%27s_law#Motivation
>>
>>7540100
>op thinks that anyone who isn't 16 really believes this
>op is 16
>>
>>7540100
>op is illiterate
>>
File: 1428043893678.jpg (956KB, 3375x3250px) Image search: [Google]
1428043893678.jpg
956KB, 3375x3250px
>he thinks literary allusions = literary merit
>>
>>7540100
>>7540822
Kys frog shit
>>
>writer keeps using the same word over and over in a 1000 page book
I get it, Ayn Rand, your characters are "not astonished," they're cool cynical people who ain't surprised by nothing.
>>
>>7540686
have you read any of the critique threads?
>>
>>7540590
Funny, because one of those authors is miles better than the other
>>
Are all of Umberto Eco's books like this, or is The Name of the Rose an anomaly? I dropped it solely because I got tired of looking words up, especially considering half the time the only sources I found were references to their use in that fucking book so I never could get anything more than what I glean from the context.
>>
>>7542073
italian dan brown
>>
>>7540686
This. He definitely just read some meme writing advice book. Maybe even the meme duo On Writing by King and The Elements of Style. OP get out of this phase as fast as possible
>>
>>7540100
>people judging professionals based on some constructed pseudo-knowledge of writing they profess
Bravo.
>>
>>7540100
>muh subjectivity doesn't exist meme
lol family
>>
>>7542107
>he's published so he's a professional xd
>>
>>7542078
>pepesayinghahawellmeme'dwhileholdingachampagnecoupe.png
>>
>>7540100
oh how I long for days when that was a problem
>writer forgets characters relation to each other and calls a characters father, grandfather
>writer can't convey story with different character and reader knowledge so everything is repeated 10 times
>writer writes everything in a POV and still writes the same thing 10 times so stretch the book
>writer makes an obstacle so X character will have something to do in the next book but before the story ends we see Y character bypass that obstacle(having had no reason to lie to X character)
>writer has 2 plots going that never intersect. to justify one of them being part of the book writer has a forced fight.
>writer has a character that survived mass murder get all technical about the size of fish in the pond while describing the events (because its the writers hobby and writer things it counts as good world building)
>>
>>7542024
george rr martin does the same but with piss and shit. you can really spot the theme of characters pissing themselves over and over.
>>
>>7542120
You sneaky memer.
>>
>>7542107
>professionals
kek.I know some published writers, anyone can do it these days(mostly housewives).hell erotic gay books get audio adaptations
>>
>>7542160
>>writer writes everything in a POV and still writes the same thing 10 times so stretch the book
>>writer makes an obstacle so X character will have something to do in the next book but before the story ends we see Y character bypass that obstacle(having had no reason to lie to X character)
>>writer has 2 plots going that never intersect. to justify one of them being part of the book writer has a forced fight.
>>writer has a character that survived mass murder get all technical about the size of fish in the pond while describing the events (because its the writers hobby and writer things it counts as good world building)
you should stop reading light novels and young adult teen shit, mate, maybe you can graduate to grown up books
>>
>>7542160
w-what have you been reading m8?
>>
>>7542172
>I don't like something so it doesn't deserve to exist
You want some tea with that enlightened opinion, m8?
>>
>>7542172
>get audio adaptations
t-that is not a merit. if anything is an insult, even to erotic gay novels.
>>
>>7542166
give the guy a break. he's just trying to normalize pants-pissing. his next epic will feature a lot of those long-reach toilet paper sticks.
>>
>>7542196
where did he state they don't deserve to exist?
>>
>>7542206
When he refuted the fact that a published author is, in point of fact, by definition, a professional.
>>
>>7542203
it takes more people to make so its a bigger investment of time and money then just writing a book. fact that people are willing to give it to even gay erotica shows how easy it has become basically like how back in the day spice was worth a lot but now you could by an assortment of it for less than 20$.
>>7542196
for a guy on /lit/ your reading comprehension is lacking. no one has implying that some works don't have to right to exist.Im annoyed since I often advocate for X works right to exist
>>
>>7542228
Your autism is showing.
>>
Everything is a meme to you faggots
>>
>>7542190
forgive me father for i have sinned,I have read YA but some of those complaints are for Stephen W. Bennett and terry goodkind new books.when reading goodkind's new stuff I legit wondered if his brain had become diseased
>>
>poster believes that language usage indicates a mind state he's able to telepathically descry
>>
>>7542234
for you everything is autism
>>
>>7542024
It's not nearly 1000 pages, but this really pissed me off when I read Frankenstein a couple months ago. Seemed like every other page someone was doing something either "ardently" or "with ardour".

still thought it was a good book aside from that and how every character spoke in the same manner, with the same diction, etc.
>>
>>7542250
Everything except not-autism.
>>
>>7540100
>writer writers using pigeon English as a stylistic choice
looking at you man in the high castle
>>
>>7542254
countenance
>>
>>7542024
>>7542166
I should mention that I noticed that fucking everything in GoT is made of ermine, for fuck's sake. WHO CARES
>>
>>7542056
You're right it's Ernest H
>>
>>7542244
Terry Goodkind's brain has always been diseased. I shake my head for having read any of his Sword of Truth books.
>Forgive me I was young
>>
File: 1450934424415.gif (38KB, 255x179px) Image search: [Google]
1450934424415.gif
38KB, 255x179px
>inept reader blames his own poor vocabulary on writer's "fancy words"
>>
>>7542024
>superfluous
>>
>>7542024

I swear, every 50 pages or so in AS, someone is walking down a 'concourse'. Also, her incessant use of the term 'rational', as if it actually means something, betrays an incredibly inflexible and naive mind.
>>
File: 1373468631772.png (102KB, 176x203px) Image search: [Google]
1373468631772.png
102KB, 176x203px
>writer who uses a string of words when one word that is more accurate would suffice
>refuses to use it because it's "too obscure/fancy"
>>
>>7542254
That can be excused because the entire book is one guy telling another guy his story. Of course they will all sound similar.
>>
>>7540590

Did Faulkner and Hemingway hate each other?
>>
>>7544538
who today uses "incarnadine" or "shend?" You gotta admit some words are falling out of use, and attempts to revive them or use them with the intention of being obscure are misled at best and confusing at worst. It's not always the case that the fancy word is the correct word if it's on the obscure extreme of this historical spectrum.
>>
>>7540590
Don't you think the best option is the middle ground? An incredible story is fascinating, but can't language provide just as much interest in a book as well?
>>
>>7543045
This is true.
>>
ITT: Retards with poor vocabulary.

Words are meant to be used. If you don't like "fancy words", read literature for children and prepubescents.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.