[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Catholic Doctrine and Theology Books - Recommendations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

Hi /lit/.

Now that the Christmas season has arrived I have been looking for presents, especially one that my grandmother would like. She is a devout Catholic and is not too keen on tech, so I am considering buying her a good book she can read as I know she can get lonely.

I was thinking of buying the Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius of Loyola but I am having second thoughts as I am sure there are several other books that are certainly more interesting. And so I have come to you, /lit/, for recommendations.

Can you recommend me any good books regarding to Catholicism, perhaps Catholic theology?

Anyways, thank you so much, for those who reply.
>>
>>5885186

Oh - anything besides the Bible, of course, heh.
>>
the hitler youth pope wrote a book on jesus maybe try that
>>
File: 201.jpg (20KB, 330x330px) Image search: [Google]
201.jpg
20KB, 330x330px
>>5885186
pic related
>>
>>5885186
Urs von Balthasar - heart of the world

Balthasar is the greatest catholic theologian after Thomas Aquinas.
>>
>>5885186
>>5885255
cont.

if you are interested in theology, I'd suggest

Moltmann, Tillich and Pannenberg

They are all German theologians but they are currently dictating hw the world revolves. Contemporary theology is shit: ie. post-platonism and all these "being is an act" heresies
>>
>>5885264
>>5885255
Horrible suggestions. German "theologians" are Satan's theological shocktroopers. These people are extremely wicked. And why the hell would you recommend dense theology to someone's grandmother to begin with?

>>5885186
> Spiritual Exercises of Ignatius of Loyola
No . . . this is mostly for people living a monastic life.

Get her True Devotion to Mary by St. Louis de Montfort, The Story of a Life by St. Therese Lisieux, and/or Preparation for Death by St. Alphonsus of Liguori.
>>
the fulfillment of all desire: a guidebook to the saints - ralph martin

really great book, read some reviews and excerpts
>>
>>5885284
its dense theology or nothing,

or else she could be reading anthony de mello or something
>>
>>5885336
>its dense theology or nothing,

tell that to the saints and martyrs who read no theology
>>
File: 1416072125130.png (546KB, 640x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1416072125130.png
546KB, 640x1000px
Here
>>
File: SkIv-lvZggM.jpg (68KB, 750x519px) Image search: [Google]
SkIv-lvZggM.jpg
68KB, 750x519px
I am an Orthodox Christian, but I'm also interested in Western theology. There is a good reading list - http://www.holyspiritinteractive.net/columns/johnmccloskey/perspectives/09.asp
>>
OP here, thank you all for the recommendations!
>>
File: 1416892110421.png (327KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1416892110421.png
327KB, 1000x1000px
Jesus would make a great twink.
>>
>>5885357
Martyrs and saints are in same positions as ISIS today. They believe whater they want and disregard religious dogma and texts.
>>
File: 1406587469416.jpg (193KB, 843x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1406587469416.jpg
193KB, 843x1200px
>>5885186
I'm reading The Imitation of Christ, by Thomas Kempis. I think it's pretty good.

I also recommend getting biographies of saints. I've read two and found them very inspiring.
>>
Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
>>
>>5885186

Augustine's Confessions
St. Francis of Assisi; Saint Thomas Aquinas - 'The Dumb Ox' by G. K. Chesterton
>>
File: burning heretic.jpg (154KB, 483x575px) Image search: [Google]
burning heretic.jpg
154KB, 483x575px
>>5885500

faggot plz
>>
If you want to know about the specific procedures of Mass, Church dogma, etc., then pick up a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Or read the whole thing here

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/_INDEX.HTM

That, for your perusing pleasure, is the entirety of 2000 years of Catholic interpretation and application of the Bible and the various rituals of the Church.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.