[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/lit/ Makes a Mythopoeia

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

So a couple days ago I made a post in a thread about Middle Earth about /lit/ making a mythopoeia. If you don’t know what a mythopoeia is, it’s basically a made up fantastical land typically used in the fantasy genre, like Middle-Earth. Basically the goal is to create the most in-depth world as we can. Use our creativity to write out a fantastical world that we could all find interesting. There isn’t a goal to get anything published, this would all just be for fun. We would decide things democratically by voting for things that we create via something like Survey Monkey. Basically, in a similar method to /vp/ makes a pokemon game.

This first thread is to see if there are people actually interested. If not, I’ll leave it at that and won’t make another thread. Anyway, here are people we need:

>Writers
In order to write up fictional history, short stories that take place within the fantastical realm, creation of the fictional mythos, descriptions of prominent figures or creatures, etc. This /lit/ so of course writing will be a big factor.
>Artists
Art for the world we build will kind of have to be needed. I’m sure this place isn’t completely devoid of drawfags.
>General Idea makers and Surveyors
Everything that is put into our fictional world will be what we discuss in the threads and are finalized by taking surveys.
>Wiki helpers/Archivers
I will end up building a wiki if we’re interested, and/or a forum, if people are interested in this. I’ll try to stay on it and organize everything we do, but I’ll need help with that. We need a place to keep track of images and ideas, and threads should be archived.

Here are things we would need to work on in order to build it. If there are things I’m missing please say so:

>Geography
We need to decide what kind of geological features we have. An island? A continent? An entire planet? We need maps made and towns created.
>Culture
We need to figure out the culture, society, and government. Are they all European-like or could they be something like oriental?
>Religion
We need a detailed mythos, a fictional religion that could be real or myth in-world, depending on our choice.
>History
A detailed history would be needed for historical events and prominent figures like Kings and Queens.
>Ecosystem
Are there fantastical beings in this world like trolls or Kangaroo-turtles? We could go conventional or make up our own species. We can do our own spin on conventional fantasy creatures or keep them the same. Do we have normal animals?

So, anyone in?
>>
I propose fantasstical beings be all themed around the idea of the Butt
>>
bumpin'
>>
How typical does it have to be?
>>
The floor is lava
>>
>>5829963
What do you mean by typical? It doesn't have to be Middle-Earth 2.0 if that's what you're saying. It's whatever we can all agree on.
>>
Too many cooks.
>>
>>5829978
Just when I had gotten that song out of my head. Fuck.
>>5829827
OP I'm down.
>>
>>5829972
The planet has a 120 years cycle around its sun. The biggest (and youngest) civilization is made up of family-centred nomads. A second civilization is made up of alchemists and wizards that isolated themselves hundreds of thousands of years ago in an underground area. They kidnap random nomads to practice their magic, turn them into monsters, and put them back into their respective families. They start to breed.
>>
>>5829834
>>5829969
>>5829978
thanks for bumping guys.
>>
>>5830002
I haven't bumped a guy in my life.
>>
>>5829989
Great! I really hope this becomes a thing.
>>5830000
So would this be a small planet then or just continent? It's a predy gud idea but kind of hard to imagine seeing a whole planet.

I dig an oppressive Wizard state too. It's different from the common idea of wizards being misunderstood and people are just scared of them for being different that people use all the time now.
>>
>>5830025
I was thinking a large area with thousands of tiny islands that span several different faunas and biomes. So a small continent, with the small islands circled around a bigger area which is the mainland?
>>
>>5830101
All I can think of is the Tevinter Imperium meets Waterworld?
>>
>>5829827
Dude, /tg/ has this thread twice a week.
>>
>>5830101
Sounds good to me. I can try to make a rough MS paint sketches of the continent later, when we come up with more ideas.

What kind of time period should this emulate? Medieval is the easy route, but not necessarily the coolest. I'd like something different from medieval that isn't Victorian era or anything that might end up steam punk-ish.
>>
>>5830158
I've never been to /tg/, but this isn't really going to be used for roleplaying games. But if this goes nowhere I'll definitely head there.
>>
>>5830000
I really like the idea of having to adjust civilization to the 120 years cycle, but feel like more can be done with it, also: there's something inherently uncool about nomads for reasons i can't explain
>>
>>5830236
>there's something inherently uncool about nomads for reasons i can't explain

Nomads can be cool as fuck if done well.

I'd recommend watching Lawrence of Arabia for how nomads can be legit.
>>
File: image.jpg (734KB, 1440x2028px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
734KB, 1440x2028px
>>5829827
If we're world building, there's no chance in hell I'll let it be another dnd/Lotr rehash bullshit universe.

If we're doing this, all you fagots need to read the 36 lessons of vivec: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:The_36_Lessons_of_Vivec

THAT'S how you write fantasy.
>>
>>5830378
>that's how you copy-paste religious concepts
Ftfy. Still love TES though.
>>
>>5830378
Meh, when you realise this comes from a game there comes the meta-text and it's cringe-inducing as hell.
Also, the guy who wrote this is a complete faggot
>>
>>5830462
>Meh
>CHIM is the cheat console
Opinion discarded.
>>
>>5830200
Most of the /tg/ "Setting Building" threads are never even meant to be used for RPGs either. They're just a bunch of people who love worldbuilding getting together to build a world.
>>
File: xhJgAlN.gif (971KB, 350x300px) Image search: [Google]
xhJgAlN.gif
971KB, 350x300px
>>5830637
>Opinion discarded.
>>
>>5830674
Just thought you should know that the ability to parrot /v/ doesn't lend your opinion credibility. It's not like I expected you to care.
>>
>>5830738
I wouldn't assume /v/ reads the text in their games, much less tries to interpret it
Sadly this one is pretty clear-cut, style without substance would have been better.
>>
>>5830811
I agree with the other guy.
>>
I'd be up for this.

Would we insert meta-/lit/ references into it though?
>>
OP here, I mad this:
http://lit-makes-a-mythopoeia.wikia.com/wiki//lit/_Makes_a_Mythopoeia_Wiki

Tomorrow, I'm gonna make a survey. On this survey, I'm going to create a semi-detailed list of questions for all of us to answer for the geography. Basically I'm gonna list a bunch of common geological features of the land as well basic questions on size. Is there anything someone wants surveyed? Comments/questions?

You're all free to make your own surveys as long as it's group of us deciding on stuff and making it official with surveys, then it's good in my opinion. But let's not get too specific with them right now as we're way too early to decide on big stuff.
>>
>>5830980
I wouldn't mind, as long as it's subtle and tasteful.
>>
>>5830378
I'm a fan of the Elder Scrolls mythos, but honestly the Elder Scrolls in general isn't the best example of an original mythopoeia.
>>
>>5830236
>>5830360
There would have to be some sort of geographical feature that allows these nomads not be caught by the evil wizards. Desert, jungle, mountains. Something that prevents the wizards from finding them easily since it's essentially like a hunting game.
>>
the moon should be covered in water
>>
There has to be a race of giant penis men or I swear to god I will make sure this project gets sabotaged into the ground
>>
>>5831648
So, the earth pulls the water of the moon?
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.