[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sports Literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 13

File: straight-shooter.jpg (25KB, 417x600px)
straight-shooter.jpg
25KB, 417x600px
Anyone here read sports literature? Particularly auto/biographies about sporting icons?

"Straight Shooter" by Matthew Lloyd is probably my favourite. I'll admit that I'm biased because I'm a big fan of the man himself, but his work is surprisingly erudite.

This book is the story of a kid driven by a fear of failure to climb the highest peaks in football. A young man who taught himself how to achieve a zen-like state of mind when kicking for goal, to become an astonishingly accurate full forward.

It is a personal account of how he had to come to terms with a new coach, who as a previous player himself, envied Lloyd and dismantled his career in a clandestine fashion. Yet as the established captain of the Essendon Football Club, he continued to be a loyal servant to a club plagued by political scheming.

It contains an brutally honest account of how he nearly, but fairly almost made an opposition player a paraplegic. Society's hatred towards him as a direct result of the incident forced him into early retirement.

Above all, it is a fascinating read about an astonishing career from a man who is a Straight Shooter in more ways than one.
>>
>>5171876
u wot m8
>>
>>5171876
I don't understand. You post this every day, and nobody ever understands or cares what you're on about. Is this a meta troll? Some kind of smear campaign by the Indo spy agency to turn literate 4channers against Australians?
>>
>>5172264
I am as buffled as you
>>
>>5172264
I've already put forward my mission statement. Check the archive if you want to know.
>>
>>5172287
Again, nobody understands or cares. I can only assume this is your attempt at being postmodern, and as such I rate it two Infinite Jest's down.
>>
>>5172453
This is just a thread about sports literature friend, no need to be a cynical neckbeard.
>>
Anyone here read Don Bradman's biography by Michael Page?
>>
Any of you neckbeards even participate in sports or is that beneath you?
>>
No one cares bogan
>>
stop posting this shit
>>
>>5176213
>calls others bogan
>ignorant about the world of sports literature

This sponge kind of assault on my sides?
>>
Oh fuck off, not this thread again.

OP, please commit Sudoku with a pair of rusty scissors.
>>
Lloyd was my inspiration to play AFL as a child and I've always wondered if this book is worth the read
>>
>>5176256
It is. You want a teaser, friend?
>>
>>5176273
If you have the time
>>
>>5176279
>Killing Bambi

In the month that I was out with the heel injury, we lost to West Coast in Perth, drew with Brisbane at the MCG, gave the Saints their first loss of the season and then got smashed by Freo in Perth. The reality was that even though we were hanging on to 8th spot, we weren't playing well enough to deserve it, but we were pretty desperate to play a final and the other contenders were struggling too.
There was no effort made to rush me back into the team, but our medical staff thought I would be fit enough to play in Round 22. We were in the 8 going into the round, but either Port or Hawthorn could overtake us and we were playing the Hawks. If we won, we were in the finals, and if Hawthorn beat us, they were in, unless Port had a massive win. So it was a huge weekend and a big game to come back for.
I went into the game still in a fair amount of pain. I reckon I was seventy percent fit, but the finals were on the line and I wanted to help my team get there. I also wanted to lead Essendon one more time in a big game at the MCG. I had never captained a team into the finals. We were in the 8 and I wanted to make sure we stayed there.
Buddy Franklin had been suspended the week before for the contentious shirtfront on Ben Cousins, so he wasn't there. Jarryd Roughead had gone infor surgery that week, which left Beau Dowler as the Hawks' key forward. I felt that, on paper, we had a really good shot at the game.
Early in the match, I knew I couldn't make any second or third efforts because I had a sharp pain in my heel every time I went for the footy. After four weeks out, I had lost a fair bit of match fitness too. It was such a frustrating injury but I tried my best to make an impact. At half time we were down by four goals and playing insipid football.
In the rooms, instead of doing our usual cool-down, Knighta got us together in front of our lockers. He was angry, and so he should have been as we were terrible. He didn't individualise but he went pretty hard at us as a team, saying, 'With so much at stake, what a poor performance.' I copped a bit of a stare, as did a lot of other blokes.
As we walked up the race to get back into it after half time, we were trying to pump ourselves up. Nathan Lovett-Muray, who loved it hard on the footy field, looked at me and said, 'I know you're struggling a bit here, but I reckon you've got to show more physical presence. Do something strong as the captain of this team.'
I was heavily restricted by my heel injury but I wanted to inspire the team. Sam Mitchell is a great clearance player who often gets the ball out the back of a stoppage, so I thought I'd try to run off the line at the bounce and lay a big bone-crunching tackle on him....
>>
File: wbAFLlloyd-420x0.jpg (52KB, 420x311px) Image search: [Google]
wbAFLlloyd-420x0.jpg
52KB, 420x311px
>>5176371
At the bounce, I headed straight for Mitchell but the ball went in the other direction. Spike won the clearance and dribbled the ball forwards towards me.
Brad Sewell was running to collect the ball, which was right in between us. I charged towards the ball, but saw that he was going to get to it first, and I realized I had a split-second decision to make. Should I bump or tackle him? He hadn't taken possession of the ball at that stage, so I decided that I would try to hit him down the middle of the body with a hip-and-shoulder.
I braced myself for a bump, getting down as low as I could as I wanted to take him out fairly. I understood the rules, and I knew what had happened with Buddy the week before. But I couldn't get down low enough - Sewell had his knees bent and was bending down over the ball. My shoulder connected with the side of his ace and the rest of me hit him down the front. He reeled back and Paddy Ryder gave him a bit of a slam tackle to the ground as he fell.
I knew straightaway I'd got the execution horribly wrong. His fingers were stiff and tight as he was falling to the ground, like they were reaching to the sky, and I realized it was going to be on for young and old between the two sides before he'd even hit the ground. Mitchell was the first to get to me, and he was in my face shouting, 'That's not on! It's just not on! I can't believe you've done that!' I'd never heard a crowd react like they did, even at the 'line in the sand' game years earlier. The Essendon supporters loved it, while the Hawks supporters had another reason to hate me.
Campbell Brown, Michael Osborne and Luke Hodge were all on their way towards me too, but a few other scuffles started around me and they never got through. When I saw a replay afterwards, I reckon Fletch saved me, as his big Inspector Gadget arms seemed to knock everyone over around me when he was coming to my assistance. I think Campbell Brown bumped heads with Nathan Lovett-Murray, and so he went off the ground with blood running down his face. He was turning around and pointing at me, and I knew there would be a fiery end to the afternoon.
When the Essendon team finally got together in a huddle as they were carrying Sewell off, Spike said 'That was inspirational!' Everyone was geeing each other up now - 'Come on! Let's get into this, they're one short!'
I was in another world though. 'What have I just done?' I thought. 'What's the day going to hold for me now?' MY season was over, as I knew I'd get rubbed out for the hit for sure. I also knew I didn't really want to play for Essendon anymore, and so I figured I had two quarters left of my Essendon career - and, more than likely, my AFL career...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP88NmsN_rA (vid of incident)
>>
File: coachclarkson.jpg (49KB, 420x281px) Image search: [Google]
coachclarkson.jpg
49KB, 420x281px
>>5176391
Just as we were about to go out to our positions, I made a promise to myself. 'Whatever happens here, I'm putting my head over the footy. I won't pull out of any contest of be intimidated by anyone.' As it turned out, I won a couple of free kicks just by playing the ball, as the Hawks were certainly hitting me hard. Chance Bateman actually knocked me out at one stage with a bit for a round-arm and he copped a one-week suspension for it.
We got a run on when we resumed. The Sewell incident seemed to inspire my teammates as we kicked the next six goals unanswered, but I had no further influence on the game. When it became clear we were going to win, I started to wonder if I'd be better off on the bench - I wasn't sure what Luke Hodge or Jordan Lewis or Campbell Brown might be capable of. But I decided there was no way I would walk away from a challenge.
When the siren rang, we had won by seventeen points and we were in the finals. I ran over to Brad Sewell on the bench. I wanted to see that he was okay, but as soon as I saw him I knew he wasn't - he had black eyes and his face was swollen. He was great, though, and he said 'That's fine mate - that's footy.'
When I went back over to my team, the boys were all pretty happy, knowing they'd be playing a final. I was still a bit rattled, though.
After every win, we would give mini footballs to young fans in the crowd. Making a silly mistake, I picked out a Bombers fan who was sitting near the race, right next to the Hawthorn rooms. After giving him the footy, I turned around and saw the whole Hawthorn team and officials heading in my direction.
'I'll look them in the face at least once,' I thought to myself, 'and then I'll look away.' I locked eyes with Alastair Clarkson and lip read 'You weak dog!' or something like that. 'You'd better come back and play next year, because we'll get you.'
Clarkson started heading towards me, and there's no doubt he was looking to get physical. He was pretty fired up and very emotional. Mark Evans, Hawthorn's footy manager, was holding him back.
>>
File: death-in-the-afternoon.jpg (13KB, 166x254px) Image search: [Google]
death-in-the-afternoon.jpg
13KB, 166x254px
Don't mind me, posting the best book you'll ever read in relation to sports.
>>
>>5176560
I like the cut of your jib friend
>>
File: 800px-Gänsereiten_2010.jpg (158KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Gänsereiten_2010.jpg
158KB, 800x1200px
>>5176560
implying that's a sport and not a bloody masturbation spectacle, you probably think goose pulling is a sport too

anyway the correct answer is Pierce Egan's Boxiana
>>
>>5176608

It's a sport because it's physical. It's more than a sport because you face death every time you "play".

No comparison to goose pulling possible. Goose can't kill you. Bullfighting is a whole different sport, but it's probably dead now.

It's still a great book, though.
>>
>>5176608

The right way for bullfighting is this:

When you kill the bull, you should be within range of being killed yourself. That's what a good bullfighter does. Bad ones stay safe.

Facing death is the whole point of bullfighting and that's pretty unique.
>>
>>5176608

>whines about bullfighting
>eats at McDonald's

Trust me, bulls would rather die in the arena than in the slaughter house. The guy in the arena has the guts to kill him himself and actually takes the risk of being killed as well. This is more honor than you give any animals when you eat a burger.
>>
>>5176665
nice perspective
>>
>>5176669

Veggies tend to think animals would be immortal if we didn't kill them, and that animals killing other animals is OK.

Flash news: animals would rather be killed humanely by humans than clawed and fanged to death by a furious animal.

I don't mind veggies when they're smart, but some of them say the fuckest of things.
>>
File: pamp13.jpg (38KB, 400x280px) Image search: [Google]
pamp13.jpg
38KB, 400x280px
>>5176665
that whining you heard was yourself when you read my post which contained no whining, only ever eaten McCancers shitty fries anyway

put your swords and spears away little cowards and go bull running instead
>>
>>5176690

Nah, the whining was clearly yours. I can hear it in your every word.

Besides, you don't need to eat McDonald's to benefit from animal abuse and death: buying anything anywhere does the same. Everything is interconnected, there's animal abuse in everything you use. Whine some more.

You don't seem to realise that bull running is just the foreplay to bullfighting and that the bulls run to the arena. Also, if you can run, you have nothing to fear from bull running.

>running away from a bull
>"little cowards"

Only a moron like you would imagine that fighting a bull to the death is more cowardly than running away from it.

>rekt, faggot
>>
>>5176696
You're arguing with some beta as fuarrk PETA faggot
>>
>>5171876
Sports literature? Wtf? Get out.
>>
>>5177032
No you het out and get some sun, poof. Leave this to the real men of /lit/
>>
Anyone else been reading any Sports Literature lately?
>>
Come on men, it's fucking pathetic that in 2014 hardly any of you are sports/arts master race
>>
>>5181190
I liked Moneyball. I hope this helps your bad thread
>>
>>5181197
That book was shit and the idea in it isn't feasible. It's not even about sports, just propaganda for utilitarianism.
>>
>>5181203
I agree that the statistical ideas used by hal the MLB now aren't feasible.

I also agree that a book about niche statistical analysis in a closed game system is propaganda for utilitarianism. I also agree that it is propaganda for neoliberalism, which I think is what you meant, but basically I agree with all your good opinions.
>>
>>5181214
Smart bloke
>>
I got Lloydy to sign mine when I bought it. He was a weak cunt, though.
>>
>>5181228
You're a fuckhead if you think that.
>>
>>5181323
And you're a faggot if you think otherwise. If you think Lloyd was hard then you've either never played, or you never saw Darrel Baldock play.
>>
>>5181339
I didn't. I can understand your sympathy for players of old mate but Lloyd would have fucked him up. I won't deny Doc was probaly mentally tougher in that he would have faced more adversity during his life, but that was a long time ago.

Come to think of it, I've watched the 1965 grand final and doc was weak as piss.
>>
>>5181362
Lloyd wouldn't even touch Doc. Lloyd only ever hit blokes when they weren't looking. Lloyd and his dog team would get flogged by any NWFU side from Doc's era.
>>
>>5181374
Doc and his shit kilda team that won their only hip weren't fit to rub Based Lloyd's boots, let alone the 'dog team' that nearly won every game in a season
>>
File: rv_waltzing_2.jpg (57KB, 580x436px) Image search: [Google]
rv_waltzing_2.jpg
57KB, 580x436px
>>5171876
How in the fuck is this thread still alive?

A book about an Australian sportsman?

Come on, /lit/?
>>
File: don-bradman-time-magazine-cover.jpg (38KB, 260x338px) Image search: [Google]
don-bradman-time-magazine-cover.jpg
38KB, 260x338px
>>5181397
You do realize the greatest sportsman who ever lived was Australian?
>>
>>5181387
Doc played for Latrobe, you mong. Go back to big footy.
>>
>>5181429
> Latrobe
"Literally", who? No one gives a fuck about low grade amateur teams
>>
>>5181438
The VFL was amateur at that stage too, m80. Latrobe played in the NWFU at the time.
>>
>>5181440
The VFL was the premier league in Australia. Also players still got paid albeit not much.
>>
>>5181444
Players get payed in ever league, even I get a match payment. That doesn't mean the VFL was professional. It doesn't matter that it was the most watched league, there were better players in the three other states.
>>
>>5181448
What league are u in pleb? I've retired myself. Former Redback in NCFL.
>>
>>5181454
NTFL. You'd better be old if you're retired, otherwise you should be in the magoos.
>>
>>5181462
Oh yeah I played for St Marys a few times during my off season. I'm only 31 but body can't handle it any more and have too many commitments. Had a run with Bendigo Gold at start of the year but got injured in first praccy so I said fuck it that's it.
>>
>>5181478
St Marys? No, I'm talking about the NTFL in Tasmania.
You're soft, go play bush footy if you're buggered. We have some bush leagues here, they're absolutely awful.
>>
>>5181487
NCFL was bush league and rough as guts mate. Shit is a bit tougher in Vic than down there.
>>
>>5181493
If by 'tough' you mean fights, then our bush leagues have enough of that. So do they scoobies in the good leagues. But the blokes in bush leagues can't run for shit. It's piss easy to dominate a league like that if you're not a girl who can't take a hit. I wouldn't call them soft if they play on gravel ovals.
>>
>>5171876
>sports literature
>literature
What? I'm sorry, OP, but do you think "literature" just refers to any piece of writing or something? I mean I know there's a secondary definition which includes everything like pamphlets, but this board is clearly not intended for AIDs pamphlets, OP.

'Straight Shooter' may be a book, and it may be a particularly interesting or entertaining book, but it's certainly not "literature."

Excuse my autism, /lit/, but this shit just pisses me off and I'm using you as my personal blog :^) (you should feel v speshul)
>>
>>5181500
By tough I don't mean "hurr I'll foight ya cunt" tough I mean it is fuckin TOUGH
>>
>>5181507
No, I can't imagine it would actually be tough. The better the league the tougher it is to play well.
>>
>>5181501
Firstly, lose your prejudice. There have been great works on this particular subject and sport is an art in itself.

Secondly get your finger out of your arse. Same inane threads posred about moral dilemmas and whatnot which have "literally" nothing to do with literature but are accepted here.

Don't be such a stuck up cunt just because that football player fucked some chick you were in "love" with sibce you were 7.
>>
>>5181534
Those threads should just -also- be deleted you dumb tripnigger. You realize all of you loud idiots are drawn to the off topic horseshit like flies to well, horseshit?
>>
>>5181580
Touched a nerve there did I?
>>
>>5181501
this anon kind of has a point though, isn't literature supposedly meant to be fictional?
>>
>>5181630
If you would kindly turn your attention to the 4chan home page you may note that this board is listed in the 'other' section. Therefore one can only interpret that this board encompasses the entirety of the definition "literature"
>>
So yeah
>>
Anyone read any Sports Literature lately?
>>
This is beyond pathetic. Hidden.
>>
>>5176237
>sports

>sport
>literature

pick one
>>
>>5185727
I'll pick both friend, and in doing so keep my mind healthier for longer than yours
>>
Anyone read any Sports Literature lately?
>>
Does /lit/ play any sports?
>>
>>5186804
Probably not.

Too many BETA as fuarrrrrk cunts
>>
>>5181534
Wait, what? I don't have any problems with football players, anon, I just don't think this book belongs here (isn't that why we have a text board "/books/?"). I don't see why you are being so hostile, Mr Tripfag. And as far as the moral dilemma aspect is concerned, /lit/ is a de jure literature board and a de facto philosophy board (but not a de facto "I like this book, so let's talk about it here" board). Not to even mention the vast amounts of overlap in literary and philosophical writing.

>>5181630
I'm not even talking about the fact that it's non-fiction, it's just obnoxious when people think all writing is "literature" when it has no place here.

>>5181709
"Other" doesn't mean anything, RC. Take your non-literary books to /b/, if you'd like because they don't belong here.
>>
>>5186804
Oh whoops, meant to include this in that last post (>>5189085) but yea, I do. I snowboard and downhill mountainbike (if you can consider those "sports") and I played lacrosse for 4 years in high school and soccer before that.
>>
>>5189085
>/lit/ is exactly what I want it to be

Hypocrite.
>>
>>5189273
Not what "I" want it to be, it's just what the board was designated for (and I just happen to adhere to that). My "wanting" it to be a certain way directly aligns with the board's intended creation. That's like getting mad at someone and claiming that they're a hypocrite for thinking that /o/ ought to be only about automobiles and not all modes of transportation.

Your lack of understanding doesn't make me a hypocrite, anon.
>>
>>5189306
Actually, I'd like to redact that last analogy about >>>/o/. I thought it was "automobile," not just "auto." So I guess it could be automotive also.

Anyway, I guess I'll just say that what you're doing is like getting mad at someone who only wants political subjects posted on /pol/ and not all the anti-Semitic bullshit.
>>
>>5189306
Who is getting mad here? This thread has been up for 4 days, with mostly myself posting in it. At least 30 other threads have been deleted in that time. Sports Literature has a place here anon whether you like it or not.
>>
>>5189322
Also anti-semitism has everything to do with being politically "incorrect", moran
>>
Anyone read any good Sports Literature lately?
>>
>>5191483
>sport literature
>good
>>
File: WhaleHuntingBook.jpg (67KB, 238x306px)
WhaleHuntingBook.jpg
67KB, 238x306px
>>5191483

yeah m8 its about your mom
>>
>>5191518
>Hurrrr yuh mum is fat
Grow up kid
>>5191501
yeah it is you fuckn neckbeard
>>
>>5191537

>hurr durr afl meme

grow up kid
>>
>>5191544
Fuck off idiot this isn't about memes. I genuinely want to see the neckbeards of /lit/ read some sports literature. If they participated in sports their quality of life would increase ten fold. Nietzch was a betamensche. At least I'm trying to guide you to become something more than that.
>>
>>5191557

reading about sports isn't sports you dumb faggot.
>>
>>5191573
No shit but it might inspire you
>>
damn man, you've got issues

sitting down and posting the same terrible thread isn't changing shit, because you're basically incompetent at communicating with other people

you must be one deeply boring person irl
>no no I play sport I'm alpha!!!!
naw you sad lil man, get out of my face
>>
>>5191604
"IRL" I am one of the more remarkable human beings to walk the planet. Don't project your insecurities on me just because I made a thread you don't like.
>>
>>5191623

>afl fan
>remarkable

smelly dumb bogan scum
>>
>>5191623
>one of the more remarkable human beings to walk the planet

nah man, you usually need to have actually achieved something tangible in your life to to be "remarkable"
as it is, you just sit around reading terrible sports fiction ("literature" would be generous) and flail around for attention

sit down, man
>>
>>5191643
Typical pleb

>>5191649
>Nah man shit man naah let me light up this bad boy n then tell u what a faggit you are lol 420
>>
Anyone watch the game tonight?
>>
>>5176560
But that's torture, not a sport
>>
>>5176665
>>5176689
Thanks for your fresh opinion, animal. Enjoy your torture
>>
File: 9780676974782.jpg (24KB, 289x450px) Image search: [Google]
9780676974782.jpg
24KB, 289x450px
>>
There's a boxing book called Under the Black Lights, or Black Lights -- one of those; too lazy to look. Interesting read from a boxer's POV.

Also, The League of Denial
>>
>>5192356
>>5192369
Thanks men I'll look into them
>>
Anyone else read any Sports Literature lately?
>>
Recommend me a book about Donald Bradman.
>>
>>5195802
Bradman - the illustrated biography by Michael Page.

Don was the true patrician of sports.
>>
Anyone else read anything about Bradman?
>>
Seriously just play a sport once in your lives you fat cunts
>>
>>5197260
Surely you're not really this desperate to get other people in the shower with you.
>>
>>5197260

>implying you play footy
>implying you werent kicked out of auskick
>>
You're not giving a great name to Australians on 4chan mate.

And no, I think you have to be deeply interested in the particular sport to begin with to find 'sports literature' at all interesting, making it kind of hard to get into.

I read one of the Specky Magee books back in primary school when I thought I was going to be some kind off superstar, but it was pretty average.

Nearly every autobiography by a sports star is massively ghostwritten because there's only so many knocks to the head you can take before you start losing literary ability.
>>
>>5197260
There is, quite remarkably, a difference between reading sport's literature and playing sport. I for one do and I'm sure many others /lit/ goers play sport. Sport's literature, as you state, is not going to "inspire" anyone here to go play sport in the slightest. Why on earth would anyone here subject themselves to the musings of some dumbarse bogan like Shane Warne? Why would anyone feel inspired after reading something like that? Obviously there are exceptions and admitadley, I did find the excerpts you posted here interesting enough, but I hardly felt like kicking the footy about after. Also, you really need some background in AFL do understand what the hells going on, so I'm uncertain as to why you'd post that as "inspiration" to a primarily Americo-centric image board.

Do you really feel the need to buy into Australian sport's culture that much? Do this country a favour and promote some intellectualism.

And baisically what >>5197284 said.
>>
>>5197294
>Do you really feel the need to buy into Australian sport's culture that much? Do this country a favour and promote some intellectualism.

Tis not us I believe should buy into it. If anything I believe the government puts too much funding into sports.

My primary goal is not to promote AFL, but get these stupid fucking neckbeard cunts to do some exercise for once, and maybe read something other than 'God is not great' for a change.

If I'm giving Australians a bad name then so be it. We have enjoyed a great reputation abroad, and it is time we were judged on our merits instead of our brand.
>>
Anyone want another teaser?
>>
We gonna talk about Sports Literature or fap to pretentious bs?
>>
OK I'll write up another excerpt from SS later
>>
Hey OP, you follow Aussie Rules?
>>
>>5204746
Yes
>>
>>5204880
Is Zach Tuohey a decent player? He is my cousin.
>>
>>5204898
I would barely rate him C grade at best.
>>
>>5204984
Lol sports are gay
>>
>>5204984
;_;
>>
Op are you a man?
>>
>>5204990
Sure they are, neckbeard.

You have to be careful for saying 'gay' in that context though...
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=I9jWU-nlI9Tm8AWLx4Fg&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DP3qEOqiH-I0&cd=7&ved=0CC0QtwIwBg&usg=AFQjCNHoiJz7DQ2HOhjvlA5Ny329xw-bSw
>>
>>5205033
This video raises an interesting point. When does it become unacceptable to use a pejorative word?
>>
>>5205656
When describing you, fagatron.
>>
>>5205663
LOL your reading comprehension is fucking shit, moran.
>>
Just a reminder Sports Literature topics go here.
>>
>>5208544
Reality check: you're the only one who wants to talk about faggy sports
>>
>>5208555
> YUH FAGGY SPORTS
The fact that I like sports and you don't, is just one reason why I'm better than you.
>>
Any of you neckbeards at least tried to pick up a footy yet?
>>
>>5212593
Is "footy" a slang term for a footnote? Because I pick those up all the time.
>>
File: political compas.png (64KB, 909x727px) Image search: [Google]
political compas.png
64KB, 909x727px
OP, sports books are shit. I say this as someone who plays footy.
>>
>>5212608
Name one piece of Sports Literature you've read.
>>
>>5212625
Straight Shooter by Matthew Lloyd, for one. I've read biographies of Adam Gilchrist, Imran Khan, Muhammad Ali, Matthew Hussey, Nathan Buckley, Paul Kelly, Ben Cousins, David Foster and some others.
>>
>>5212634
Yeah and why is Straight Shooter any less worthy than d Shakespeare's work?
>>
>>5212642
It has no iambic pentameter
>>
>>5212653
>>5212653
Bullshit. You're talking out ya arse cunt. You haven't read it at all.
>>
File: 697.jpg (78KB, 703x475px) Image search: [Google]
697.jpg
78KB, 703x475px
>>5212657
epic
>>
Anyone ACTUALLY read any sports literature lately?
>>
Hello?
>>
What is /lit/ favorite sport?
>>
>>5216052

volleyball
>>
>>5216052
Gaelic football.
>>
>>5216052
Chess.
>>
>>5216072
Chess is not a sport. The definition goes, "if Stephen Hawking can play it ---not a sport."
>>
>>5216062
Beach volleyball is objectively better.

>>5216077
Nice dubs but you're wrong.
>>
>>5216068

Gaelic football is best football
>>
>>5216096
ikr
>>5216089
No I amn't. I suppose Dungeons & Dragons is a sport, too, then? If you want to be pedantic, I can get pedantic. Chess as a sport rapes the English language.
>>
>>5216077
It's considered a sport. No one cares about the definition the quarterback at your college came up with while giving you a swirly freshman year.

Also, Stephen Hawking couldn't play chess unless someone moved the pieces for him. If we're allowing proxy participation, he could potentially play any sport.
>>
>>5216108
Nobody fucking considers chess a sport, it's a board game.

Well, nerds consider chess a sport because they're desperately in need of compensation, but nobody else is going to give in to their butchering the English language.
>>
"Oh hey wanna come play some sports?"
"Yeah sure man, cool!"
>Chess
>>
>>5216106
>Chess as a sport rapes the English language.

>the only acceptable definition of a word with multiple meanings is the one involving physical activity

I think you're the one raping English, since you're attempting to force yourself upon it for your own perverse pleasure.
>>
>an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.
I will allow a qualifier of "nerds need it to be a sport for compensation purposes" for chess, but there must also be a warning about going playing "sports" with really dweeby looking individuals.
>>
>>5216134
No, I'm just going with ease of communication actually -- board games are board games, video games are video games, and sport is sport (you know, tennis, football, and all that sort of stuff?)
>>
>>5216096
It's 3rd to gridiron and Australian Footy
>>
>>5216145
Aussie rules is a ripoff of GAA and the oval ball is dumb as fuck, takes precision from the game.
>>
>>5216144
I'm not aware of any other board games that have international tournaments or college sponsored teams.
>>
>>5216151
Oh, well now the definition is getting hecka complex dude -- can't we just call it a board game for the sake of simplicity?
>>
File: zzzzz.jpg (58KB, 479x600px) Image search: [Google]
zzzzz.jpg
58KB, 479x600px
>>5216145

>mfw gridiron

Aussie rules would be okay if they had a ball instead of an egg, and also a field instead of an egg.
>>
>>5216151
Scrabble?
>>
>>5216149
>Aussie rules is a ripoff of GAA
I'm going to need a source on that, mick

>oval ball is dumb as fuck, takes precision from the game
Mate kicking an oval ball and bouncing it with precision takes years of practice, and in a game situation it becomes even more difficult.

Anyone can kick a round ball, and there's hardly any pressure in Gaelic because you can't get tackled. You're deluded if you think Gaelic requires more skill.
>>
>>5216157
We can just call it a sport for the sake of simplicity.
>>
I will concede that NFL is more badass than GAA, but then the Irish come up trumps again with hurling which is the king of games (sucks I was born in the wrong part of the country though). Shit's literally swordfighting only with teams and a ball. And before you start, icehockey is fucking stupid and them bitches pad up like fuck.
>>
>>5216185
Start talking about some books, or else >>>/sp/
>>
>>5216185
I don't imagine much of a difference between them where skill is concerned tbh. Most good GAA players go to Aus for the money that's in Aussie rules, after all. And I don't really have an opinion at all, just throwing digs again, lol. I do love GAA though.
>>
>>5216158
No it wouldn't. It would slow the game down and we wouldn't see the fancy stuff like banana kicks or One handed marks
>>
Also Australia is literally the progeny of a whole bunch of Irish felons, so. Ockham's Razor says Aussie rules is descended from GAA.
>>
>>5216205
oh man, just imagine footy without the one handed marks...itd be pure shite without the one handed marks mate
>>
>>5216199
Fuck off neckbeard. Go read some Sports Literature or else it's >>>>>>>>r9k for you.

>>5216203
You're alright, mick
>>
>>5216215
Cheers mate. Oh and them banana kicks sound cool.
>>
>>5216213
It wouldn't be as good because you wouldn't see a titanic wrestle between the forwards and backmen as the ball is in the air, then have the forward emmerge triumphant as he clutches the mark with one arm, and using the other to fend off the beast behind him.
>>
>>5216215
If you want to discuss sports literature, then do that. Right now you're arguing about what the best kind of footy is.
>>
>>5216229
And it's GAA.
>>
>>5216229
Have to spark interest in sports first mate.

>>5216243
>im....

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=FozZU8GVB8OJuATpvoLYAg&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DX_hqosNvv5E&cd=3&ved=0CCEQtwIwAg&usg=AFQjCNGI-7ZnKcV5O1OKW2Nqh7X5JMdc0g
>>
>>5216226
yah I love the titanic wrestle...but I love the forward emerging triumphant even more...I guess you could say I'm a big fan of all the parts of footy, but especially the titanic wrestle and the forward emerging triumphant. and heck, you couldn't have either of those without the one handed marks.
>>
>>5216275
Yeah well we're only having a bit of crack and going to the pub after. Holy shit that video, lol.
>>
>>5216283
Correct.
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&ei=_47ZU_LzEs-1uASlg4KIDQ&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DkYpVz0HZdIg&cd=9&ved=0CDMQtwIwCA&usg=AFQjCNFuyPmcG7SpYFI495j_VAC8Gt1g4Q
>>
Best Sports Literature you've read?
>>
>>5217426
My Chess Career by José Raúl Capablanca
>>
Opened up Friday Night Lights today. NFL preseason starts in 3 days and with this polar vortex making it feel like September, football feels right.
>>
>>5217480
Nice one.
>>
anyone else been reading some good Sports Literature lately?
>>
Night guys
>>
>sports literature
>literature
tippity top lel
tippity lel
my my my what a wonderful lel
plenty of top lels coming my way
tippity top lel
tippity lel
Thread posts: 181
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.